Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

Have to make note here of the bottle from Batch number three that I was able to enjoy a few times already in the last couple of days. THis maybe my all time favorite beer. Just has literally everything you could ask for and more. Rich decadent looking dessert, deep dark chcolate color with a towering head of fine tan. Slight reduction with time still elaves a copious amount of spider like side glass lace and lots of rocky crown.

The aroma is simply wonderful. A drop dead, drag out coffee knockout. Rich notes of sweet coffee are just all over this. It really is the best of both worlds here. Nice touches of sweet molasses in the finish that starts to become bitter and leaves you with more coffee then beer taste as you go through.

Having had the chance now to try this one each time it comes out from various different sources, I am thrilled to see this one go back to the roots. THis is like liquid heaven to me. I would honestly take this over pretty much any other beer I have ever had, and the fact that it is now bottled, just makes it even easier. Kudos to Dave and Jason for this one again, I know they get sick of hearing it from me, but this one is my crack. This is the reason I drink beer.

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

A-Black with dark brown highlights with a dark tan head. Left decent lacing.

S-ok, this is simple COFFEE! Fresh, ground and brewed quality COFFEE! Can I give a number higher than 5?

T-Ready...this is not a trick question, COFFEE! How can you make a beer that tastes nothing like anything other then COFFEE? No hop bite...and who cares?

M-Full bodied but not heavy. Round. Not quite as creamy as I would have thought...more crisp than I expected.

D-If I told you I drank at least one pint (at least) of these all four days I was in Asheville plus I bought and hauled 4 growlers back to PA with me how could I not give this anything but a 5!

Easily the best straight up coffee brew I have EVER had! Sheer genius by the mad scientists at Pisgah...keep up the FANTASTIC work guys!

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

A big, BIG thanks to Deuane for hooking me up with of growler of this on a recent trip down to Asheville.

Pours an inky deep black (just like a cup o' Joe) with a 1/2 finger of creamy burnt mocha (it almost appears red at times) colored head. It retains into a beautiful looking ring with some wisps around the center that left thick swathes of lace as it swirls around in the glass. The aroma is duh, COFFEE! And lots of it! A straight up zippy mix of espresso, coffee grounds, and a little residual sweetness in the background.

The taste is COFFEE, COFFEE, and more COFFEE! It's just lush with roasty notes coffee up front that is balanced out by some sticky chocolate sweetness in the backend. There is also just the slightest amount of bitterness in the finish that lets it end with a nice pop. The mouthfeel has a fantastic smooth and creamy feel to it. Almost like imbibing some caffeinated concoction that you would get at a Star Bucks or Dunkin Donuts. Only better!

Wow, this has to seriously be one of the best Coffee Beers out there. It just tastes so much like drinking a cup, it's ridiculous. I really appreciate the ever so slight but highly effective sweetness character that comes out, balances the dry roasted bitterness, and makes this just a pleasure to drink. I split this growler with a couple of other folks and we agreed that it really is a work of art for what it is. Well done Pisgah!

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

brewed with beans from Dynamite Roasting - also of Black Mountain and definitely worthy of a visit

a: standard pint glass, pitch black with great retention and lace

s: absolutely loaded with vivid, fresh medium-roast coffee aromas, with dark roasted chocolate providing an underpinning, seriously like taking a bag of fresh-ground to the face, but not without the chocolate/burnt sugar body to support, the coffee clearly overpowers the malt while benefiting greatly from the full, rich support it provides, love it

m: body in the lighter side of full, low-medium carbonation, creamy and smooth

t: the high reviews this beer gets are the truth, coffee flavors unlike any other - fresh medium roast free from any harsh side, big chocolate and roasted malt body, moving from smooth chocolate to big char in the finish, rating simply as an impy stout this would be a kick lower since it's so tilted towards pure coffee, but rating as a coffee beer makes for an easy 5

d: a fantastic coffee beer, with one of the better fresh coffee characters I've found

full pint at Barley's, Asheville

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Before I start, let me tell you that I do love coffee.

Pours near black with ruby edges and a nice tan head that caps it off and remains for a good while, leaving a good ring with light lacing down the glass. Smell is heavenly. The most fresh coffee I've ever smelled in a beer, as if it were just ground. Good and roasted with a grainy scent. Taste might have just one-upped Breakfast Stout. First it's dark, roasted coffee grounds. Very fresh and tasty, exploding on tongue. It seems too intense until a creamy sensation comes to rescue. Some vanilla and light oats with milky chocolate. It's like I was drinking some black coffee and all the sudden the beer knew I liked a little cream and sugar, brilliant! Mouthfeel is pushing full and I'm not sure this is big enough to qualify as a Double/Imperial Stout but it's excellent. Velvety and creamy for the most part with a slight roast bitterness in there. I had three pints from the growler without even thinking twice...that's when I realized that this might be my new favorite coffee stout.

I think this is actually considered an American Stout and if so it would get a perfect score in my book.

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this growler.

64 oz. of goodness poured into a nonic.

Wow, who likes coffee? Pours a midnight black with a huge three finger brown head that stays and stays. Nice webbing left on the sides of the glass. Smell is sweet caramel, espresso, and coffee grinds. Definitely a sweet smelling coffee beer for sure, but by far one of the most enjoyable. This is organic? Taste is actually pretty different from the smell. More of a bitter coffee flavor up front with cocoa and cane sugar. Gets sweeter towards the end with a caramel malt and coffee ice cream sweetness. But really, this is organic? Creamy mouth with the slightest hop sting. Dry in the aftertaste with some smokey notes. Wow, this beer is complex with many different flavor levels. Fortunately I was able to share the wealth with a buddy of mine and he agreed with me on how good this beer really is. Mike, thank you so much for the opportunity to try this beer. I can't believe I have three of their bottles right now just waiting to be enjoyed. This beer is amazing, plain and simple. They really need to bottle this next time around.

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

First I'd like to thank ncvbc for sending me this growler, I'm gonna have to send you something nice for this one ;o)

Poured into my Surly pint glass.

Slight hiss as I took the cap off, good sign.

Wow! Really intense aroma as soon as I start pouring. I get some of the most freshly roasted coffee aroma I have ever experienced in a coffee stout. There's also quite a bit of cream, sugar and vanilla in the aroma. Wow, look at that, I skipped the description of the beer's appearance and went straight to the aroma...

The Valdez pours a dark roasted color with a good inch of mocha colored foam. The foam retains for about a minute and then settles to a very thin layer. Ok back to the aroma...

A cup of freshly roasted coffee, that's what it smells like. There's also a good dose of toasted malts, chocolate malts, milk chocolate. I'm also picking up some aromas of hazelnut flavored cream. I'm almost afraid to try it and be disappointed of the taste not living up to this wonderful aroma. I could just smell this beer for a few minutes and be pleased with that.

Taste is slightly less intense than the aroma but still very good. Lots of roasted coffee with some toast, nutty malts, cream and finishes with a bit of vanilla. The second sip is slightly more flavorful in the coffee department and now I'm picking up the milk chocolate and some cocoa with just a touch of roasted barley on the finish. After about half a pint I begin to pick up some toffee flavors and more vanilla in the middle.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, semi-creamy, but maybe just a tad thin which seems to come from the low carbonation of this beer. While this beer is lightly carbonated I think it is the perfect amount for this as it does not sting the tongue and passes down smoothly like a cup of coffee with cream.

Drinkability? Well, lets see how I do with this growler, fortunately the beer seems to be only 7%, as stated by a sticker on the growler, but a pint of this drinks extremely easy.

Even though I have some bottled beers from Pisgah, Baptista and Vortex II, this is my first taste of any Pisgah beer and it was great. I cannot wait to try their other offerings.

This beer needs to be bottled!

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

22oz bomber, purchased at Bruisin' Ales (Asheville) poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter

A- Pours a deep brown with a 1/2 inch tan beige head that doesn't stick around long but leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

S- Coffee, coffee, coffee and a little roasted chocolate malt.

T- The strongest coffee tasting beer I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. The coffee flavor is right on the edge of being perfect and overpowering but stays on the side of perfect. The coffee bitterness is more noticeable than any hop bitterness present.

M- Extremely smooth and creamy. Nearly perfect carbonation

D- Not a huge a beer in terms of ABV but the alcohol is very well hidden. It goes down smooth with no burn and the flavors keep you coming back for more.

This was a wonderful example of a coffee stout. The coffee is prominent in this beer and it seems as if you could drink it for breakfast. A great offering from Pisgah Brewing.

4.78/5  rDev +15.5%

Good Morning from Tampa. The Fed Ex guy rang the door bell nice and early on this Saturday morning to deliver a wonderful package from unclejedi. Ah, Pisagh Valdez a brew I have been after since last year. It's morning, it's a coffee stout what the hell. I put one bottle away and threw the other in the fridge for a quick slight drop in temp.

A: Poured into my St Feuillien chalice. The the head towers quickly to over one finger. It is made of millions of tiny creamed espresso bubbles. The drink itself is very black. The name Valdez seems fitting for this one. The retention is nice with a nice solid cap hanging around for quite sometime. Slight lace noted.

S: Talk about a morning pick me up. I have already had my coffee this morning, but let me tell you this one has more aroma than my normal cup of gourmet chocolate infused joe. Tons of nice fresh roasted coffee teems from the glass. Light hints of cream along with a hint of milky chocolate. Make no mistake about it coffee is what this one is all about though.

T: Mmmm, wish I had started my day with this rather than the real thing. Bold fresh roasted chocolate with just a hint of cocoa. I buy some premium chocolate coffee and this tastes better than the real thing. Behind the coffee and chocolate is just a bit of sweet cream, and a touch of darkened brown sugar. Coffee + Chocolate + Cream = Happiness!

M: Light for the style and somewhat thin. This is not necessarily bad though as it allowed me to put down the whole 750 ml myself rather easily.

D: See above. Very tasty and dangerously drinkable.

Wow thanks unclejedi. What a wonderful brew. I am glad I have another to share with the local tasting group.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

what a nice way to start a new year's when you are seriously jet lagged and have some cotton mouth! thanks for the gift Alex it is very kind of you

poured out into my brandy glass (only appropriate glass i could find) and this beer had very little to no head on it at all. yet i loved the appearance it had an oily black look with just a bit of cappucino head trace in it

smelled like an espresso with a dash of maple syrup in it. wow is this going to be a crazy concoction?

way way roasted in the front then coming at you with coffee in the end and some hops to finish it off. just simply delicious and i loved every sip of it

great mouthfeel almost silky but just enough bubbles to keep it from being too sticky.

this got me wired too! glad i had it as i was feeling pretty droopy at the time. :-) happy new year indeed

4.72/5  rDev +14%

Poured into tulip glass.
Looked like a glass full of obsidian. It barely let's the light through, shows just a touch of garnet around the edges. Head formed thick but disappeared quickly.
Smelled of black coffee and dark roasted malts.
It tasted exactly as it smelled, only a touch of bitter chocalate was detected. Nothing to complex, just a straight forward beer.
Moves through the mouth quickly. But the flavor lingers.
This is so easy drinking. For someone who drinks coffee black, this is a special treat for me. I had this on tap at the brewery while sloshed, but was impressed enough to take a few home for later.

4.68/5  rDev +13%

I first tried this beer in a bottle and, while I liked it, I had no idea what all the fuss was about. But after trying this on tap at Barley's in Asheville on 2/5, the scales have fallen from my eyes.

A-Pours black as night, deep and opaque with a thin tan head and good sticky lacing.

S-A blast of fresh roasted coffee starts things off, with some nice roasted malt and cocoa behind it.

T-Delicious. Starts with a delicious roastiness, follow by a nutty maltiness, finishing with a crisp bitter hop burst and more roasted coffee. Plenty of coffee flavor but still tastes like a beer. Outstanding.

M-Medium bodied with a nice lingering finish.

D-Yes, please I would like many more. Outstanding!

HV

4.68/5  rDev +13%

Thanks to aerozeppl for providing this magical brew.

A: Jet black body with a mocha head that goes on and on and on...

S: Straight coffee. Delish.

T: BAM!! Coffee. Very clean and crisp. There is a good lasting bitterness from the coffee.

M: Medium bodied. Pretty surprising for the intensity of the stoutness. Super smooth.

D: All day long baby. This is a world class beer.

4.68/5  rDev +13%

Much is owed to atsprings for the share.
Growler poured into a brandy snifter.

A semi-vigorous pour forms a voluminous head, two inches off the dark body and excellently retained. Head color is a tan-custard hue, and the foamy mass looks solid enough to pluck out of the snifter and throw it across the room. Body is pitch black and opaque, although some transparency is evident when the snifter is tipped and held up to the light. The aroma is equally as enticing, packed with notes of fresh-baked cookie dough, gingerbread, caramel-infused coffee, and fresh ground coffee beans.

Valdez lives up to its name, as it coats the palate with an oily-thick, utterly creamy body that requires substantial chewing with every sip. The flavor is like lukewarm, creamy coffee that has been deliciously fermented. Hazlenut roast rounds out the malt profile, while a perfect bitter coffee bite leaves a lasting impression. The drinkability of Valdez is superior for its style. The complexiy and flavor are almost unparalled (although Big Boss' Coffee Stout runs a close second), and as the beer warms it becomes increasingly delicious. A must try for beer-lovers everywhere.

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours pitch black with faint mahogany edges and a one finger beige head that immediately fades into a thin ring.  Sporadic spots of lacing left behind.
Rosted coffee bean aroma with lots of dark roasted malt and coffee presence. Gourmet coffee is prominent with a nice roastiness without smelling overdone or burnt.  Hints of hazelnut, toffee, chocolate and toast.  Slight liactic cream presence.

Medium bodied with a blast of smooth, deep roasted coffee that dominates the flavor but never becomes overpowering, abrasive, acrid or burnt.  Hints of hazelnut and toffee as well as some bittersweet dark chocolate and a slight lactic creaminess that balances things out while adding to the palate.  Perfectly balanced and extremely quaffable.  One of the best coffee beer I've had.

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours out shiny pitch black with an absolutely huge light brown head with loose clingy bubbles. The head sticks around and leaves some good lacing. Really a beauty. I couldn't ask for anything more. The smell is filled with coffee and carbonation initially. Once the head dies back, there's a distinct sweetness, caramelly like cola. There's a lot of nice smells for a big stout. The taste is great. The coffee is somewhat subdued, but just a perfect compliment to the beer. There's a good backbone of chocolate sweetness with some cola notes. The roasted character really shines through, with coffee and roast barley, with a tiny bit of the slickness that black patent lends. I was really surprised at how much fullness there is without any oatmeal in the base. There's plenty of body and the coffee makes it pleasant, with a good carbonation level. Could be more chewy, but I can really appreciate this one. God, I drained every sip with zeal. I mean, this should be the beer that everyone shoots for when they throw coffee in. Oatmeal might make it a masterpiece, though I really love it as is. I wish I had more, and I wish everyone could try it. I feel privileged to have been in Asheville when this one was coming out.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

A growler shared with Deuane, ClockworkOrange and JohnnyM2002 among others.

A: The stout is a dark cola brown color, almost indistinguishable from black. The growler, despite being wrapped in electrical tape, had lost a good bit of carbonation, so little if any head arose on the multiple pours.

S: The nose is a delicious coffee aroma, a chocolate infused aroma with touches of acrid bitterness. The beer is basically coffee with touches of stout added for good measure. The aroma is tough to beat.

T: The first sip is a rich coffee blast. The java flavor in this beer is damned near the strongest that I've had (and I've had Coffee Bender, Central Waters Coffee Stout and WnB). There is little to suggest that this is a stout, the focus throughout is the deliciously bitter coffee flavor. The coffee flavor lingers long after the sip is gone. And did I mention that the stout has a strong coffee flavor?

M: The coffee flavor is strong but beyond that the taste is rather thin. There is little stout body to back up the arabica beans. A vinous finish would have sealed the deal as a beer d'ambrosia.

D: I stayed close to this growler for as long as it lasted. If you like coffee in your stout, this is a must try.

EDIT:
A second growler resulted in a much thicker, fuller head. The subtle stout flavors also became more evident through the coffee. As a result, Appearance went from 4 to 4.5 and Drinkability went from 4 to 4.5.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving type- 22 ounce bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A-This beer pours a standard pitch black with a two finger tan lace that leaves the beer sooner rather than later. The leftover lace leaves some decent clingto the glass that does stick around until the very end.

S- I am getting a strong hint of chocolate in the underlining notes of this beer. There is also the ever present roasted malt and prominent coffee notes as well.

T- There is a nice mellow roasted malt/coffee taste that starts the taste. It pretty much stays consistent throughout the whole beer. Overall a pretty good tasting Double Imperial Stout. Definately easy to drink.

I have had this beer on tap at the brewery and from the little notes I wrote down this bottled beer is pretty close to the tap version. For a bottled beer this is a very good version and certainly one that I would have again.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Pours dark, dark brown out of the bottle and settles pitch black in the glass with a massive three-finger tan head that shows great retention and lacing.

S: Coffee, coffee and more coffee. There is more than a hint of dark roasted malts underlying the coffee but the aroma of freshly ground coffee steals the shows in the this one.

T: The taste is also big on the coffee, but with a very slight bitterness in the finish. The dark malts are more evident than in the aroma, but the sweet roasted coffee shine through again. If you like coffee, you'll love this stuff.

M: Creamy and medium bodied mouthfeel with tons of carbonation that just leaves your mouth tingling with that cup-of-joe taste throughout.

D: If reviewing this beer as a imperial stout, it may be the most drinkable I've ever had in the style. I tend to think of it more of a stout and a half instead of a double, but it's damn fine stuff either way. Highly recommended!

Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.