Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next › last »
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

rolltide8425, Jun 29, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

greencovesteve, Feb 20, 2012
3.46/5  rDev -16.8%

"Adhering to the strict philosophy of the Pisgah brewers, this mouth watering coffee stout is brewed just miles downstream from America's most beautiful watershed. Brewed with coffee beans from asheville Coffee Roasters, and weighing in at a respectable 6.8% abv, the aroma of fresh coffee leaps from the glass, and finishes slightly dry. Treat yourself to the finest coffee stout this season, Unfiltered for your enjoyment. Respect tradition. Love beer. Treat Yourself!"

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber to a snifter. Served above 48º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a silk foamy brown tone head with a slightly above average retention. Body is a dark brown with red highlights. Sediment heavy on the bottom, light flecks don't quite settle. Decent head quality, a little crisp and doesn't last long and lacing is thin. A decent appearance but worthy of much more. 3.25

(Smell) I am slightly put off by the aroma, perhaps by its dryness or the acid presence which makes a big part of the aroma. Bitter coffee bean notes forward and a chalky chocolate chip cookie. Earthy hop presence in places. Mild tones of char beyond a generally clean aroma. Relatively light on the nose, with a lesser balance towards sweetness and a bigger emphasis on bitterness and tart black coffee, light on the creamy notes. Most interesting is a doughy dry yeast aroma with some slight notes of tart fruit. The coffee notes are in decent balance with the other aromas in this beer, as there seems plenty of substance to be had. Potency is medium-high. 3.5

(Taste) Most interesting. Front has a fruity juice tartness, followed through with roasty chocolate notes. Mild black mocha coffee finish and a hint of char. Very heavy emphasis on fruit, quite interesting and a bit unusual for my expectations of a coffee stout, but not an unwelcome variation. The balance is actually quite decent and dryness isn't overwhelming. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Oily slickness with a mild creaminess on the finish. Tartness in the body is really a confusion to the appropriate texture, slickness and creaminess is probably the best bet nonetheless. Body is just shy of medium for an Imperial Stout, medium/high amongst all beers. Alcohol presence is largely concealed. 3.75

(Overall) My thought is that this beer is a bit older than anticipated and that the yeast have had some fun transforming the beer. It wasn't a terrible transformation, just a much fruitier beer than I had anticipated with a bit less coffee and roasty flavors than I had desired. I hope to get a really fresh batch of this beer in the near future so that I can confirm these suspicions, as this beer currently seems unfocused, and perhaps misguided, at the worst. 3.25

Pisgah Brewing Company's
Valdez
3.46/5.00

Jadjunk, Jan 15, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

Blind Bomber #2 Firing this one off live. The beer started out cold and was poured into an Imperial Pint glass. The beer will be allowed to warm to a desirable temperature. After about 20 minutes of wait time sip wait sip wait some more the beer is ready to go!

A- 3.5 The body of the beer is almost straight black. The head didnt last long at all and resolved to a thin ring of lightly creamed coffee coloration. No lacing to speak of on my glass.

S 3.5 The aroma is of darkly roasted coffee. A bit sweet and a bit chared.

T 3.5 Dark roasted lightly sweetened coffee. The char on the finish keeps the sweetness in check. Not bad but want a little something more.

M / D 3 / 3.5 The body of the beer is just shy of medium the carbonation levels are low but I think this is a good thing for this beer. The beer was easy to drink. A bit one dimensional on the coffee. Not a bad stout but think I might pass this one up.

Reveal: This beer was a want. Pisgah Valdez going to have to go out on a limb on this one and state its lacking a bit to be an Imperial Stout. Thanks Sholland119 for sending this beer my way!

nlmartin, Dec 28, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured into a snifter. Not quite sure how 6.8% ABV justifies the "imperial" designation, but whatever.

4.0 A: Light black in color if that makes any sense. Two fingers of frothy light brown head with not quite average retention and not really any lacing.

5.0 S: Awesome! I had no idea this was a coffee stout. Given that, I'm bumping the appearance from a 3.5 to a 4 since I know how coffee does a number on head retention. Perfect coffee aroma - in my face, yet not overbearing. Instead of being balance with sweetness, there's more roastiness behind it in the form of roasted barley. As it warms, semi-sweet chocolate and rich caramel come out. Excellent.

3.0 T: I'm loving the coffee in the taste, but it's much more one dimensional than the nose. There just isn't enough of anything else to balance the powerful coffee. This is understandable given my qualms with the mouthfeel. The coffee covers up whatever else is in there.

2.5 M: Light body. With a thicker body this one would have been a lot better. The extra residual sugar would also have balanced out the coffee taste. Carbonation is a bit higher than I'd like as well, but that is trivial compared to the body problem.

3.0 D: This beer could be fabulous if they upped the mouthfeel to a medium or thicker body. Although I love the strong coffee flavor, it needs some strong malts to supplement it.

DavoleBomb, Sep 15, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottle poured into a goblet

A: Pours black with a finger of dark tan head. Great retention.

S: Intense roast, burnt coffee, that's about it.

T: Again, intense roast and burnt coffee. Spicy, medium hop bitterness.

M: A bit thin and a tad overcarbonated.

O: I'm thinking this isn't overly fresh. The coffee flavor is no longer fresh, but the stout characteristics are quite nice.

coreyfmcdonald, Jan 01, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

A - touch of red at the edges. Creamy dark tan head that leaves some lacing.

S - chocolate syrup, like I'm a hot fudge sundae, coffee and a bitter shot in the finish.

T - cold coffee with fudge in it. Malts in the background. The bitter shot in the scent is present in the flavor as well.

M - mild coating, but a strong tingle on sides of tongue.

O - I could have one but would then opt for something without the bitter hit.

biglite351, Mar 21, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

acurtis, Oct 28, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 10, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

12 oz bottle, Glass stein

Appearance - Pitch black, with a tan head that foamed easily. Generous carbonation maintains the head for some time, though lacing was minimal.

Smell - Toasted coffee almost exclusively, with muted notes of earth and biscuits.

Taste - Coffee notes come in quickly, and then fade to a semi-dry, toasty finish. Nothing remarkable really.

Mouth Feel - Overcarbonated for the style, and too dry/astringent. Body feels thin and unremarkable.

Drinkability - Price wasn't horrible, $6.50 I think, and it's a local brew which is always good to support. ABV keeps it drinkable as well.

Really not impressed, to the point that I will actually try this beer again just in case something is off in my palette. It's priced right, and I do enjoy supporting a local brewery, especially one as innovative as Pisgah. Their Vortex II was excellent, and this one was rather boring.

UnDeadly, Jan 10, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Consumed a few times in the past 2 weeks, both on-tap and bottled

Classification as a Double Stout is quite misleading. The bottled version is over-carbonated and may be confused as *gasp* infected. It just isn't right - fruity and tangy with a metallic finish. On-draft, its an iced coffee overload and is really a nice beer. Unfortunately, the most recent bottling doesn't translate and I was really quite embarrassed to open this for people not familiar with Pisgah.

dirtylou, Jan 06, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance: looks and pours like a cup of joe with about a 2.5" head.

Smell: Fresh coffee with sugar and a little milk.

Taste: Same as the smell, plus a hint of dark rum.

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I would expect in an Imperial Stout

Drinkability: Low, unless you love coffee beers, then add a point to each category.

I can't give a very good score for watery coffee, particularly since others (peche mortel, sexual chocolate) are so much better.

craytonic, Mar 30, 2009

bsuedekum, Feb 18, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -39.2%

Sought this out in trade and finally got it. Let it sit for a day or two and couldn't wait anymore.

So it's a very nice looking beer. Black as can be with a huge beige head that never quite dies.

Smell is of straight coffee.

Taste just like ground coffee. I imagine. Nothing more. And not a coffee I'm particularly fond of at that.

Bitter coffee. Dry as dirt. This beer actually removes moisture from your mouth. An absolute chore to drink. A pathetic 6.8% ABV. If I'm gonna work this damn hard to put down 750ml I want a kick in the ass to go with it. No such kick here. The more I drank, the more I came to hate this beer and wish it would die. Maybe not that bad, but I am severely disappointed.

I clicked on the link describing the style to see what else was 'similar.' Wake-n-bake and Founders Breakfast showed up, which are both completely lovable beers. I just don't get this one. How can it be so highly acclaimed? I'm busting my ass here to finish it. My wife even dumped her customary 4oz taster back into my glass. I think the worst thing is the dry coffee flavor leaving a dry coffee mouthfeel that can't be alleviated with another dry ass sip.

Overall: overhyped

PatronWizard, Oct 25, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -41.8%

A - It presents an appearance no dissimilar from black coffee; there is not much head, it is a deep brown that appears black, and it has that coffee sheen.

S - This beer smells like straight-up burnt coffee, nothing else. Not espresso, not dark roast; this is ooops! I burned the coffee! And I don't like my coffee burnt, so I am not a fan of this one-dimensional aromatic.

T - Unfortunately, not much is different about the taste, as compared to the smell. I am still getting very little other than straight-up burnt coffee. The beer is also lacking body, and seems to have an acridity that I find disquieting. Also, the beer hiding beneath all that coffee tastes like it would be a bland watery brown ale.

M - The thin, flaccid nature of this brew is the nail in the coffin. The feel is absolutely horrendous.

D - I am not impressed here. This is one of the most ham-handed executions of a coffee beer I have seen. It evokes comparisons, in terms of ineptitude, to Fuel Café...

ktrillionaire, Jul 18, 2010
1.4/5  rDev -66.3%

A Looks like a average brew. Creamy head that sticks to the glass.

S Smells stoutish with much roasted coffee aroma.

T Extremely bitter and over carbonated. Most coffee I've ever had in a beer. Raw chocolate undertone with slight creaminess. And a tart sour finish that just doesn't belong.

M Too bitter to really enjoy.

O I would almost think it is infected from the sourness, but their is still a balanced flavor setting in this off flavored cocktail. Could not finish a glass.

CJS, Jan 15, 2013
« first ‹ prev | 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next › last »
Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.