Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
4.45/5  rDev +7%

I am starting to think Pisgah can do no wrong for me. I loved this beer on tap, and had waited to sit down with a bottle to review it. Spot on pour, jet black with a huge 2+ finger, tan head. Decent lacing left from the frothy head receding. The aroma is quite possible the most pungent (but in a very good way) coffee aroma I have ever encountered in a beer. Not quite as robust in flavor (but its not supposed to be I assume, it is not an IS or RIS). The coffee flavor is exceptional, but not quite as strong as the smell would lead one to believe. Some nice malty sweetness helps balance out the bitter coffee flavor. Little light and fizzy in the mouthfeel for my preference in stouts. In the end, a very nice coffee stout. I'd love to see Pisgah take this to the next level and make "Valdez Plus", they are on the right path for sure, just a bit more robust character would complete it for me.

bhalter8, May 14, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mikesgroove sent this bottle my way in a recent trade, so thanks go out to him for the chance to sample this beer.

The appearance is a almost black, with hues of very dark brown around the edges. Big brown head that has moderate retention but no lacing is left behind.

Smells a whole lot like coffee. For a coffee stout, I would say that is a good thing though. Lots of malty sweetness in there too. Smells pretty damn good.

Taste is of course very coffee oriented. Sweet, roasted flavors run throughout. Fresh roasted coffee with loads of sweetness are noticeable. Finishes with more coffee that makes the mouthfeel very dry.

This is a nice stout and is pretty drinkable. Great beer overall, glad I got the chance to try it.

Hojaminbag, Nov 17, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown/ black with a nice milk chocolate colored head that fades to a little ring that leaves marks down the glass at each level.
Smell is alot of mild coffee notes. Small hops bite behind the coffee, and some toffee and earthy tones.
Taste at first is all coffee. As it warms the other tastes become more apparent to me. Unsweetened chocolate, caramel roasted malts, and a hops bite that hides behind what you think is coffee bitterness.
Mouthfeel is great. This is supposed to be closer to 7.2 than 6.8, but either way it hides the alcohol almost completely for me. The caffeine makes it even more deceptively drinkable.
Overall one of the best offerings from a great brewery. There is a reason this beer is so popular among BAs, and this batch is no different. I'll review one of the bottles later.

jraycee, Oct 10, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

22 oz. Almost black pour with a tan head. Not a lot of lacing. Aroma is roasty, coffee and malt, more coffee. Mouthfeel it a little thin, but still medium bodied. Taste has coffee and bakers chocolate all around. Nice roast coffee/espresso finish. A very pleasant coffee stout and drinkable with a low abv for an Imperial. As much as I mentioned coffee it is by no means overdone. Worth trying it you can get your hands on it.

Bung, Jun 13, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Big thanks to Huhzubendah for providing this bottle.

Pours near black with a good mocha head and a bit of a thin cap as it makes its way down the glass. The nose is really full of chocolate with a good amount of roast and coffee there as well. The chocolate really rips through everything else and is quite enjoyable. The taste is the same. There is some roast and coffee in the background, but there is a diverse array of chocolate types coming through. Milk, semi-sweet, and dark all seem to make their way into the mix. Pretty full, rich body. Really an enjoyable drinking experience. Thanks again, fellow Mid-Atlantic Bears fan.

Thorpe429, Jan 04, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to chawk for hooking this one up. Served at our Night of Fedor tasting with the Chicago Crew.

A - Black beer with a brown head. Decent lacing, pretty nice looking brew.

S - Rich coffee on this, very strong aroma profile for a something that is less than 7% abv. Good roasted note with a little bit of burnt cocoa.

T - Roasted malts, awesome coffee profile. This is really how a coffee beer should be done. Great bitterness combined with a sweetness from the burnt cocoa. Great beer all around.

M - Full bodied, nice dose of carbonation for the style.

D - So good, could drink tons of it. Would love to have this beer again and highly recommend it to others.

AgentZero, Mar 02, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Cracked open on dark passenger Sunday, Reviewed from notes.

Pours dark chocolate brown with a plentiful two finger foamy head sitting up top that has some good retention on it. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell is FANTASTIC! Rich chocolate and roasted sweet coffee. More rich tones come out as this bad boy warms up. Seriously this is how coffee stouts are supposed to smell.

I was expecting this to kick me in the teeth with coffee but I was surprised by the taste I got. well balanced coffee and cream with cocoa shavings. Very Nice.

Mouth is creamy and very easy to drink. As I reached the end of the glass I was a little turned off by the cloudy amount of sediment I was given even from a very gentle pour. But really that is one of the only things I wasn't big on. I would LOVE more of this. A very well done coffee stout. By all means worth a look.

Mauerhan, Dec 05, 2009
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

big thanks to hopsleroy for hitting this long time want. enjoyed from a mother earth brewing snifter.

a - poured a watery black that settled into the glass deep and ominous with a tan mocha bubbly head that bubbled away quickly.

s - YUM! gourmet coffee. a fine roast. some chocolate. really just dominated by a really nice gourmet coffee smell. smells fantastic.

t - again, HUGE coffee notes. this is not for the faint of heart. big roast and some hints of bakers chocolate...some nice sweetness. i'm a fan.

m - slightly watery. almost tastes like a watered down coffee. carbonation is soft, body has some porter like char.

o - overall, i'm a BIG fan of this one. it is huge for coffee, but a bit watered down, but still works. not sure what vintage this is, but it doesn't taste anything like what some of the bad reviews boast so there might be bottle variation or even some batch variation? i couldn't have dug this one more.

cosmicevan, Apr 07, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

I feel like I am in a fish tank.

Yes...A fish tank.

I've been working myself to death, and classes at Berkeley arent making my life any easier.

and than, out of nowhere...my ears starts sucking air like a vacuum, and I can barely hear anything...Yes, sometimes life sucks like that.

However, kkiple, being the gentleman that he is, had sent me a box of beer as part of a trade, and after hastily making my dinner of hand carved ham, 21 spice salute, stoun ground mustard, and artisan chedder on rye...I washed it down with a BLENHEIM Ole # 5 Ginger Ale and had a shower.

and now...I'm drinking this fine brew.

The 750ml labelled, corked, and caged, brown glass bottle is a nice presentation...and I like the fact that Pisghas brews are all organic.

A: Dark cola brown/block with a big yet loose head of tannish/off-white foam. Big bubbles fade quickly and leave small rings and lines of lace.

S: Coffee. Literally, just coffee. With a bit of cream and two raw sugars. Just like I get every morning at Poggio Trattoria in Sausalito before climing the steep hill of steps up to my office in the hillside of Casa Madrona.

T: The taste is coffee. With one or two raw/golden sugar packets and maybe just a tiny bit of cream. Chocolate, and roasted malts are in the background...and their may be some hops somewhere too, cowering behind the massive explosion of espresso grinds.

M: Very sprizty, and carbonated but still filling in the mouth. Pretty nice, but not as thick or full as my actual coffee.

D: Drinkability is good. I can probably have 2 or 3 of these bottles, just like my coffee...It's cool they turned MY morning coffee into a beer

O: Good stuff. Thanks need to go out to both kkipple for sending this to me and Pisgah for making MY morning coffee into a beer for everyone...cheers.

francisweizen, Oct 07, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Dispensed via growler on 9/28/09. Thanks to Deuane for procuring this for me during a recent trip to Asheville, NC.

A - This stout is one shade away from plummeting into the void of utter darkness. A thin, tan cap sits on top, but dispersed into a wispy veil that eventually disappeared, leaving behind only spots of lace.

S - Freshly ground coffee beans. Pure and simple. As Valdez warmed up, hints of tobacco and subtle leafy hop notes also emerged. Some chocolate and tar-like gunk (in a good way) also creeped out from underneath the coffee beans. For some strange reason, I also got a subtle waft of garage. Yes, garage.

T - Again, coffee dominates with an iced coffee character and abumdance of roasty flavor. Subtle hints of chocolate, tar and tobacco also emerge, but this stout is all about that little dark brown bean.

M - Medium bodied with an icy, watery texture, a little thin perhaps, and very softly carbonated. Finishes with coffee bitterness and mild astringency on the palate.

D - Juan would be proud that this fine coffee stout shares his namesake. Of course, maybe he doesn't drink beer. Well, he does now! This is some serious competition for Planet Bean. Never heard of it? Seek it out!

ffejherb, Sep 29, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC - if I were smarter I would've picked up more than one.

Pours pitch black with a two-finger dark tan head. The head recedes into a thin pancake on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of creamy roasted coffee with hints of roasted malts in the background. A smell of things to come.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though a bit more complex. Roasted coffee flavors kick things off, with roasted malts coming in shortly. Near the end of the sip there's a good deal of dark chocolate that appears right before the mildly bitter, mildly dry ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a very nice thickness with mild carbonation that makes this go down very smoothly.

Drinkability is good. I could have finished this a lot quicker but I've been forcing myself to slow down and smell the malts.

Overall this is a very well done coffee stout that's definitely worth a shot.

glid02, Mar 16, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a thick tan head that is slow to reduce.

Has a nice roasted coffee smell, with a fair mount of malt as well. Mild chocolate notes as well.

Well balanced, with decent coffee taste, chocolate nibs, and oats. Mild bitterness midway that fades as it is swallowed.

Medium bodied, mild bitterness; pleasant.

Highly drinkable, my only disappointment is that I cannot find this locally.

TheHoppiest, Dec 23, 2010

Fordknox, Tuesday at 09:56 PM

Texasfan549, Aug 22, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dark cola with zero visibility when held in light. Produced a massive three fingers width of tan head. Over time reduced to half a fingers width of creamy deliciousness. Some retention as the beer was consumed. Reminded of pouring a can of Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

S- Lack of potentcy and a little too one dimensional. Getting lots of espresso and fresh made coffee in the nose...that's about it. For this simple of an aroma, I was hoping for stronger characteristics.

T- Honestly, just imagine a cup of coffee you made on your way to work, but in beer form. What I really enjoyed about the taste is the coffee flavor was controlled. Nothing was overpowering...in a good way. I also was a big fan of the lack of roasted flavors as sometimes this can be way overdone and dominate.

M- Superb. Medium bodied with a wonderful smoothness. Almost reminds of a nice cream stout.

D- The drinkability is laughable. I had to question whether or not I was even drinking a beer at some points. This is by far the quickest I have polished off a coffee beer and I don't even like coffee beers, not too mention it's a bomber.

Overall, if you like your coffee non-roasted with a bit of milk or cream in it, you will be heaven. I have never enjoyed a coffee beer so much. This is one I will definitely be seeking out in the future. To tell you the truth, this is the first time Pisgah has actually impressed me. Well done.

rhinos00, Jul 28, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bomber brought back from the source

a-blackish brown with a nice 1/2" espresso colored head that lingered for a while

s- ummm coffee but what were u expecting? this is a true coffee stout lovers dream as far as nose

t- ummm more coffee and what a wonderful coffee this is is...if it were available for me to brew in the morning i would have it everyday....this is by far the best coffee stout i have ever had...i think it tops breakfast stout if you are looking for coffee

m-this is def not a double/imperial stout it is a stout and has perfect mouthfeel for the style

d-i love it...i truly do...i like my coffee stouts in tenure and i wouldnt want to ruin it by drinking too many of these

this beer is excellent in all aspects....great job by pisgah

stoutfiend27, Apr 19, 2009
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to stopbarking for tossing this one in on round one of the LNBA BIF.

Classic pisgah 750 corked and caged. Pours a deep black with a fizzy tan head that recedes relatively quickly and leaves minimal lace.

Nose is strong coffee and roasted malt. A bit of fresh grain.

Taste follows. Very very nice coffee flavor, roasted malt, and black barley, Some hop flavors in here, but they are pretty minimal. Anise, more coffee. Black coffee. Bean bitterness. Some slight chocolate here. Would like a bit more creaminess. Wonderful coffee profile in this beer. Black but not burnt. Very nice.

Mouthfeel struggles a bit here. It is quite a bit overcarbonated for the style. Thin in the mouth, and not enough creamy viscosity for the style. Low abv does not assist this either. This is sort of a one and a half stout.

Drinkability is solid, could defenitely put more than one of these away without really thinking about it. Especially with the easy abv.

Overall a very unique coffee stout, with the high carbonation. I am not a big fan of this added bubbly as of yet. The organic coffee used in this brew is quite something. Very very nice coffee profile. Roasty and toasty. A very nice stout from the MASTERS of organic brewing at Pisgah. After Vortex 1 and this one, Pisgah is certainly on the top of my list as far as the best organic breweries out there, and up there for breweries in general as well. Great beer.

AKBelgianBeast, Oct 15, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from the tap at Barley's Taproom in Asheville, NC to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark brown to black with good carbonation. The head was a big 2+ fingers but our bar tender toped it off to give a most generous pour. The head when delivered was 1 thick finger of off white creamy foam it had good retention and left good lace.

The smell was like Coffee in a nice stout. The medium roast coffee smell was great, melded with some classic stout aromas like chocolate and light char.

The taste followed well, big coffee flavor, this is easy in the top 5 coffee beers I have had. Must not have had too much alcohol as I had 2 pints and not a buzz, could be 5-6 %. That says something, 43 taps and I have 2 of the same. LOL Other flavors include mild char & light chocolate.

The mouthfeel was good, better then medium body, and nice carbonation.

The drinkability was great, I sampled 5-6 different brews before asking for another of this same. I was told the brewer only did 5 barrels, so if Coffee Stout is your thing get it while you can.

Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Nov 24, 2007
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to mikesgroove for the chance to try this great beer. I often find myself at odds over what to make of the american double / imp stout category here on BA. I think I have a similar challenge with coffee beers. I like a rich coffee, low acidity, arabic beans, roasted to a level like starbucks medium brews but not french roast. So, what the heck does all that mean to this beer and or review? No idea. Ok, kidding. This beer was the september release, definitely foamy as my pilsner glass foamed over completely. The aroma is wonderful medium roasted coffee with an undertone of chocolate. Taste follows the aroma and by mid bottle through to the end this one is smooth and well balanced. I would have liked a slightly bigger body and mouthfeel but that's a minor aside to a great beer.

barleywinebrewer, Oct 05, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Pours an opaque yet clear jet black in color with minimal amounts of gentle visible carbonation along the surface of the beer and moderate amounts of cola brown highlights at the edges.

S: Strong aromas of slightly sweet coffee/espresso - like one that has cream and sugar added to it. Very light notes of roasted malts and just a hint of chocolate.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of roasted and slightly ashy malts that is followed by strong flavors of coffee/espresso - reminds me of a cuban coffee with milk and sugar. Moderate amounts of bitterness which lingers for quite awhile.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Smooth, almost creamy.

O: If you enjoy coffee, this is a beer that you really need to try... I love coffee and I really enjoy this one. Super easy to drink with well hidden alcohol. Definitely my favorite beer from this brewery.

dbrauneis, Sep 07, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Picked up a 22oz bomber at Peabody's in Boone. Poured into a standard shaker pint...

A: Near pitch black, maybe some dark brown in there; forms a nice, one-finger, thick, dark mocha head; leaves a few strands of lace and there's virtually no retention after a few minutes.

S: Smells pretty darn scrumptious; rich, rich coffee aroma with some caramel and toffee; maybe some sweet malts a la malted milk / Whoppers, too.

T: HUGE coffee! Wow! Super duper roasted malts; leaves a lasting burnt malt bitterness... this coffee bitter dominated any hop bite... crazy.

M: Near full-bodied and creamy... nice.

D: Enjoyable, yet more of a beer to savor; coffee is almost overpowering on this one! This is the biggest coffee stout I've had!

jpro, Jan 21, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a Pisgah bomber, in my possession since DLD this year, capped not corked. The label shows it's organic which doesn't really matter to me at all. The beer was dark brown chocolate color with a thick off-white foam that lasted forever. I figured the coffee aroma/taste would be lost in this old bottle but it came through nicely. The java smell is actually complementary to some malts that are more sweet than roasted in character, together the malts and coffee come off very close to Founders Breakfast Stout. Same with the taste, I found this to taste a bit like an aged FBS (which is a good thing, I've had some old FBS that was better than the new stuff). The body is on the thick side which suits the style, overall a very fine coffee stout that I'd love to get again.

TurdFurgison, Nov 07, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

September 08 bottle. Pours black with a cola tan head of good size, that very slowly recedes, leaving behind some good lacing. Incredible coffee aroma, nice roasted bean aroma, some chocolate and vanilla sweetness blend with it and help to accentuate the coffee. Flavor is similar with a good dose of coffee, some tanginess, but not an 'over-roasted' tanginess, milk like flavor is definitely present in the flavor along with a small amount of caramel and vanilla sweetness. Some cola in there and a slightly dry smokey finish. Mouthfeel has a nice creaminess, medium in weight, the creaminess makes for a fullness on the palate mid taste, the tanginess from the roast comes in afterwards and leads into a only slightly dry finish. This beer is definitely one of the best coffee stouts I've ever had the pleasure to try. Right up there with Kuhnhenn, though their's is different and also with Short's, very similar. Well done Pisgah, extremely drinkable, and a solid, fresh ground coffee experience in this one.

hoppymeal, Oct 18, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

September 2008 bottle.

Deep black pour with an inch of light tan foam that leaves some spotty lacing and stays around for what seems like forever. Looks good in the glass. Aroma is bursting with fresh roasted coffee that's bright and vibrant. Smooth roast underneath with chocolate notes. Crisp maltiness throughout.

First sip smooth, clean roasted malt upfront that's immediately coasted by fresh coffee flavors. Chocolate works its way in along with a velvety smoothness. Bitterness hits on the way down but it's rather mellow. Finishes dry with lingering coffee flavors. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied, a bit on the lighter side but that just makes it easier to drink. Overall, a damn fine coffee stout and organic to boot. Very glad I got a chance to try this. Thanks to dmeadows.

orbitalr0x, Jul 31, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Many, many thanks to csmiley for a very generous birthday gift. Very much appreciated.

Appearance: I'm really close to awarding a "5" here. This is a gorgeous beer. It's a very, very dark brown color (bordering on black). No light's getting through, even around the edges. The head is mocha colored and stands a very tall three and a half fingers. It's really close to perfect.

Smell: The nose is nice, but isn't quite a standout. It's actually a little weak in the strength department. Coffee is the the primary feature. It's a very strong coffee scent that nearly buries everything else. As a coffee fanatic, I can't complain about that. It's a fine smelling beer. But, it is lacking in complexity. There's some chocolate and roasted malts. But, that's about it. All in all, it's a nice smelling beer...if you're a coffee fan.

Taste: Wow. The coffee force is strong with this one. The flavor profile is nearly a carbon copy of the nose. But, the delivery is definitely better. The coffee flavor is very strong and flavorful. It's really difficult (almost impossible) for me to imagine a coffee averse being getting into this beer. Liking coffee seems like a prerequisite. This beer has some serious java mojo. There's a little chocolate and roasted malt flavor there to make it interesting. But, the coffee/espresso-esque flavor is a homerun. I really love this beer. There's not much going on in the hop department. Adding a little hop punch to this beer would damn near make it perfect. No alcohol is noted. It finishes sweet and bitter (in that java kind of way).

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This one's light bodied. It's honestly a little too thin. Carbonation is pretty active. Nonetheless, it goes down very easy and has a relatively smooth feel. Drinkability is pretty high for me. I really love the flavor and the abv is not high enough to intimidate. My bottle indicates 6.8% abv.

I've been anxious to try Pisgah Valdez for quite a while. No doubt it's a damn fine beer. It is a beer that's probably reserved for coffee lovers. If you don't like coffee, you're not going to like it. But, for what it is, it's impressive. Very impressive. I do think it could be improved a little. In particulart, the nose could use some strength and it could stand a little thicker of a body. As far as flavor goes, lots and lots of win here. Highly recommended. Thanks, Chris. This one's been a real treat.

prototypic, Nov 13, 2008
Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.