Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next › last »
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Have to make note here of the bottle from Batch number three that I was able to enjoy a few times already in the last couple of days. THis maybe my all time favorite beer. Just has literally everything you could ask for and more. Rich decadent looking dessert, deep dark chcolate color with a towering head of fine tan. Slight reduction with time still elaves a copious amount of spider like side glass lace and lots of rocky crown.

The aroma is simply wonderful. A drop dead, drag out coffee knockout. Rich notes of sweet coffee are just all over this. It really is the best of both worlds here. Nice touches of sweet molasses in the finish that starts to become bitter and leaves you with more coffee then beer taste as you go through.

Having had the chance now to try this one each time it comes out from various different sources, I am thrilled to see this one go back to the roots. THis is like liquid heaven to me. I would honestly take this over pretty much any other beer I have ever had, and the fact that it is now bottled, just makes it even easier. Kudos to Dave and Jason for this one again, I know they get sick of hearing it from me, but this one is my crack. This is the reason I drink beer.

mikesgroove, Sep 08, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

A-Black with dark brown highlights with a dark tan head. Left decent lacing.

S-ok, this is simple COFFEE! Fresh, ground and brewed quality COFFEE! Can I give a number higher than 5?

T-Ready...this is not a trick question, COFFEE! How can you make a beer that tastes nothing like anything other then COFFEE? No hop bite...and who cares?

M-Full bodied but not heavy. Round. Not quite as creamy as I would have thought...more crisp than I expected.

D-If I told you I drank at least one pint (at least) of these all four days I was in Asheville plus I bought and hauled 4 growlers back to PA with me how could I not give this anything but a 5!

Easily the best straight up coffee brew I have EVER had! Sheer genius by the mad scientists at Pisgah...keep up the FANTASTIC work guys!

Deuane, Feb 28, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

This bottle is from September 2008. Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Pours a very deep russet brown with garnet highlights near the bottom of the tulip glass. Big, three finger mocha colored head, that drops fairly quickly, leaving a wisp of foam.

Aromas of dark roasted coffee. Some caramel and roasted malts, but the main attraction is the coffee. Coffee also lends a nice roasty bitterness.

Flavors are big, dark roasted coffee, bittersweet cocoa, some roasted graininess. No hop flavor to speak of. This is not just a coffee stout, it's a COFFEE stout. Lingering bitter roasted coffee on the finish, that fades into a nice bittersweet cocoa.

Mouthfeel is big and chewy, not thick and syrupy, but gives a big presence in the mouth, coating everything.

Overall, an excellent coffee stout. Once of the better balanced examples, with lots of flavor.

JamnesCameron, May 10, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

This beer is absolutly outstanding. A nice deep black with a tan head. The smell is like a pot of fresh coffee brewing. The taste is like a gourmet blend from the downtown coffee house. Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkability os wonderfull as well. This beer continues Pisgah's upward swing in NC brewing. The next time I have this brew I may add a litte cream and sugar. Great job Pisgah!!

Enola, Mar 08, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +19%

Pisgah is extremely hard to find, even when you live less than an hour from the brewery.

I kept hoping to find a bottle of this somewhere, but ended up finding it on tap at Barley's in Asheville.

Served in a pint glass, this was one nice looking beer. A very dark black color with a dark brown head about two fingers thick. The head lasted for a good while, but the best thing was the lacing. This had perhaps the best lacing I have seen leaving a stained glass-like curtain down the entire glass all the way to the last drop.

The smell was of a very nice roasted coffee (it is brewed with coffee from a local roaster) and sweet chocolate. Maybe a bit of nuttiness in there.

The taste was great, very balanced. You could definitely taste the coffee, but it was not like some other RISs that are brewed with coffee where it tastes like a strong coffee served black. There was not much hops, but that was O.K., since I like more roasted flavors from a stout. The bitterness seemed to come from the coffee and roasted malts. I found it really balanced between sweetness and bitterness, like a coffee with a lot of cream and sugar. The sweetness was not cloying and the bitterness not overpowering. Lot's of chocolate as well.

Mouthfeel was pretty normal for a RIS, I would say better than most.

Drinkability is dangerously high. To quote Beerfest: "I want to brush my teeth with it!". I could have spent my whole day in Asheville just drinking this one beer.

Definitely made up for missing Sexual Chocolate! This has been the best RIS I have ever had.

hitokiri, Feb 15, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +19%

An incredible drink for any coffee enthusiast. Looked gloriously black with a brown head. Smelled strongly of the most delicious coffee. This beer tasted like an iced coffee with alcohol added, amazing, it blew me away. I wish it had just a slightly fuller body but other than that minuscule detail I found this beer to be absolutely amazing and everything I could ever want in a coffee stout

jorrx003, Apr 30, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +19%

C02 Nitrogen mix tap system falling down the glass as the as the beer becomes still with a 2in-2.5in head settles. Aromas of roasted chocolate and fresh brewed coffee the head stayed around .5-1in the whole way down. smooth mouth hints of almost burnt toast with a touch of sweetness like drinking the best cold coffee on the hottest day of summer

cwalexander, Sep 28, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

I received a growler of this beer in the "February Growling at the Moon" exchange from mikesgroove. This was my first month in the exchange and all I can say is I hope every month's beer is this good, but it will certainly be hard to top!!

A - Dark brown to black. When held to the light....nothing at all shines through. There was not much head even after an aggressive pour. I'm assuming it may be because it is from the growler that was a few days old. The small head that did form lasted a very short period and there really was not much lacing as I drank.

S - Since I'm a coffee lover the smell was fantastic. There is not much else to the smell besides coffee, but again it was great to me.

T - Coffee through and through. As an earlier review mentioned, it was like a thick cup of coffee. I almost couldn't tell that it was a beer.

M - It was smooth, creamy, and full but not too full or syrupy. Carbonation just tickled tongue enough - that's what made me remember it was beer not coffee.

D - I cannot begin to explain how much I loved this beer. I could drink it in the morning (which I did since I had a snow day today), or drink at night (which I did immediately after I received it), or drink it all day long (I can only hope I can do that sometime down the road).

As others have mentioned I am a coffee lover too. Just a warning if you are not a coffee lover this beer may not be for you. Overall it is just a well crafted beer.

This is the first offering I had from Pisgah. I can only hope I can get my hands on some more of their stuff, along with more of the Valdez!! Thanks again for spreading the Pisgah love mikesgroove.

dashirey, Feb 22, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a nice jet black with a decent tan head that diminishes to a lasting thin layer. Aroma is dominated by fresh ground coffee, just a hint of chocolate tries to poke through, but really cannot surpass the coffee at all. The taste is a coffee lovers dream. As others had said in their reviews, it's almost hard to tell that this is beer. The mouth has a great dryness and is very smooth with only a slight alcohol presence. This is an absolutely spectacular beer, another great one from the guys at Pisgah.

atsprings, Mar 19, 2008

Photekut, Nov 17, 2011

THIS IS THE BEER FOR COFFEE LOVERS!!!
Pitch black in color. Large brown head with some pink and ruby colors in it. Best head on a beer that I've ever seen. Head recedes and holds at a solid finger in height. Lot's of lacing cakes the glass.
WOW!!! What an aroma. The moment the cap is popped off of the growler, the aroma of fresh ground coffee beans fills the room. Rich dark French Roasted coffee and nothing but coffee.
This beer is totolly single minded and unbalanced, and I love it. Flavor burst of rich dark coffee. This is better than most coffees I've had. Maybe some oatmeal in the finish but it has a hard time shinning through all of the coffee flavors.
Mouthfeel is smooth and yummy. I origionally gave this a 4.5 in mouthfeel as I've never given a beer all 5's because I believe all beers can improve. But I couldn't find any fought in the mouthfeel so it gets a 5 too.
Drinkability? I had it as a nightcap last night and am pouring another pint for breakfest. Pisgah...please put this beer in IV form and run a line right to my veins. Ok, you can't do that. The least you could do is make this your next bottled offering.

wcudwight, Feb 17, 2008

Bmoyer0301, Dec 01, 2011

heyta, Nov 14, 2011

KFrank729, Mar 01, 2014

Rochefort10nh, Nov 21, 2011

Comes out of the tap a deep, opaque sable barely a kitten whisker above solid black with a fine-bubbled tan head. Rich, smoky aroma has strong chocolate and quality coffee tones and screams DRINK ME!!! to anybody who appreciates good stouts. Flavor is strongly like high-quality roast coffee with tones of unsweet chocolate, caramel and burnt wood plus a hint of molasses. Full-bodied texture has a strong, persistent tingle and leaves a smoky mocha finish. A must!!!

Cyberkedi, Dec 28, 2011
« first ‹ prev | 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next › last »
Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.