Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Received this brew from both tpd975 and hoppymeal in fairly recent trades. This will be my first Pisgah brew and thank the lord! I absolutely love coffee brews and they are by far my favorite 'style'. Drank from my Darkness snifter.

September 2008 on side of bottle. Holy F'n cork, they weld these in apparently.

Appearance- Oh this is a good looking brew. Pours a super dark black with an absolutely huge three finger dark khaki head that recedes fairly slowly. My snifter is half beer, half head. A thin cap and nice manly collar remain behind leaving somewhere between a lot and an ass ton of lacing.
Smell- Coffee. I could easily just end there and this would be my most accurate review of a nose yet. A bit of cream and chocolate but I've said too much...
Taste- Slightly dirty and murky from the start with bits of raw cocoa nibs and acrid watered down coffee. Some cream and light sugar add a smooth sweetness but frankly I think the over-carbonation takes this beer down a notch. No hops to speak of. The majority of the coffee flavor is in the aftertaste after the burn of the CO2 wears off. It's lightly sweet and full of French roast goodness. If not for the aggressive carbonation this would definitely be a 5.
Mouthfeel- Thin body (maybe from adding brewed coffee?) and light crisp feel that is not what I like in this style beer. I prefer smooth and creamy and this is the only flaw in this brew IMO. It's just a shame that this particular flaw affects the flavor so much.
Drinkability- After some of the carbonation escapes this thing really picks up. The coffee seems to come out a bit more and it really shines. Since I never really got the beer cold it honestly didn't take long to smooth out a bit. I'll bump up the mouthfeel a half point more than I would have but it still needs toned down. Okay, no more Nancy negative. This really is a nice coffee brew that tastes delicious and I really did enjoy. Thanks again to Greg and Derek!

younger35, Dec 21, 2008

csfcmitchell, Dec 10, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle thanks to Kegatron.

Pours black with a large foamy white head, taking a good amount of time to settle completely; a beautiful beer.

Scent of mild bitter coffee, oatmeal, cinnamon, chocolate, and brown sugar. After nearly a year, the coffee is still present but fading.

Taste of chocolate, oatmeal, coffee, roasted malts, brown sugar and toffee. Finishes with a bitter chocolate and coffee flavor. Not as potent as it was when it was fresh, but I could drink this all day long even now.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a biting carbonation.

paco1029384756, Dec 26, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle dated December 2009 courtesy of Robert. Thanks for the opportunity!

Pours a dark brown. Head dissipates almost immediately leaving a thin ring along the edges.

Smell is mostly coffee with a touch of chocolate and caramel. Not robust and in your face, but still present for being nearly a year and half old.

Coffee is front and center. Caramel and roast provide support. Easy drinking and rather simplistic. This isn't a dig on the beer, it's just an easy drinking coffee stout with no real bells and whistles. Robert was kind enough to send a 2010 as well, so I'll have to do a comparison at some point.

A bit thin and slightly watery, which seems to me a problem for many coffee stouts. Overall, this was a nice light coffee stout that didn't overwhelm me after a long run.

BarrytheBear, Mar 20, 2011

THIS IS THE BEER FOR COFFEE LOVERS!!!
Pitch black in color. Large brown head with some pink and ruby colors in it. Best head on a beer that I've ever seen. Head recedes and holds at a solid finger in height. Lot's of lacing cakes the glass.
WOW!!! What an aroma. The moment the cap is popped off of the growler, the aroma of fresh ground coffee beans fills the room. Rich dark French Roasted coffee and nothing but coffee.
This beer is totolly single minded and unbalanced, and I love it. Flavor burst of rich dark coffee. This is better than most coffees I've had. Maybe some oatmeal in the finish but it has a hard time shinning through all of the coffee flavors.
Mouthfeel is smooth and yummy. I origionally gave this a 4.5 in mouthfeel as I've never given a beer all 5's because I believe all beers can improve. But I couldn't find any fought in the mouthfeel so it gets a 5 too.
Drinkability? I had it as a nightcap last night and am pouring another pint for breakfest. Pisgah...please put this beer in IV form and run a line right to my veins. Ok, you can't do that. The least you could do is make this your next bottled offering.

wcudwight, Feb 17, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance: looks and pours like a cup of joe with about a 2.5" head.

Smell: Fresh coffee with sugar and a little milk.

Taste: Same as the smell, plus a hint of dark rum.

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I would expect in an Imperial Stout

Drinkability: Low, unless you love coffee beers, then add a point to each category.

I can't give a very good score for watery coffee, particularly since others (peche mortel, sexual chocolate) are so much better.

craytonic, Mar 30, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks to Mikesgroove for the bottle.

750ml corked and caged brown bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark cola or root beer color with lots of carbonation. A big dark khaki head forms very frothy and only holds about a minute. Some lacing.

S: Plenty of coffee and chocolate to go around. Very sweet and I'm assuming Belgian candi sugar. Some nice roasty notes. Has a nice hop backing.

T/M: More of the big coffee notes and less of the chocolate. A bit too sweet with more of the Belgian candi sugar. A good hop character backing things up. Carbonation is very high and reflects on the taste.

D: I'm a bit disappointed. I had really been looking forward to this and it just wasn't everything I'd hoped for. I love coffee beers but just didn't dig this one as much. Decent but not the greatest.

pwoods, Oct 09, 2008

Brewsed, Jan 03, 2012

freduardo, Nov 23, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to stopbarking for tossing this one in on round one of the LNBA BIF.

Classic pisgah 750 corked and caged. Pours a deep black with a fizzy tan head that recedes relatively quickly and leaves minimal lace.

Nose is strong coffee and roasted malt. A bit of fresh grain.

Taste follows. Very very nice coffee flavor, roasted malt, and black barley, Some hop flavors in here, but they are pretty minimal. Anise, more coffee. Black coffee. Bean bitterness. Some slight chocolate here. Would like a bit more creaminess. Wonderful coffee profile in this beer. Black but not burnt. Very nice.

Mouthfeel struggles a bit here. It is quite a bit overcarbonated for the style. Thin in the mouth, and not enough creamy viscosity for the style. Low abv does not assist this either. This is sort of a one and a half stout.

Drinkability is solid, could defenitely put more than one of these away without really thinking about it. Especially with the easy abv.

Overall a very unique coffee stout, with the high carbonation. I am not a big fan of this added bubbly as of yet. The organic coffee used in this brew is quite something. Very very nice coffee profile. Roasty and toasty. A very nice stout from the MASTERS of organic brewing at Pisgah. After Vortex 1 and this one, Pisgah is certainly on the top of my list as far as the best organic breweries out there, and up there for breweries in general as well. Great beer.

AKBelgianBeast, Oct 15, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this growler.

64 oz. of goodness poured into a nonic.

Wow, who likes coffee? Pours a midnight black with a huge three finger brown head that stays and stays. Nice webbing left on the sides of the glass. Smell is sweet caramel, espresso, and coffee grinds. Definitely a sweet smelling coffee beer for sure, but by far one of the most enjoyable. This is organic? Taste is actually pretty different from the smell. More of a bitter coffee flavor up front with cocoa and cane sugar. Gets sweeter towards the end with a caramel malt and coffee ice cream sweetness. But really, this is organic? Creamy mouth with the slightest hop sting. Dry in the aftertaste with some smokey notes. Wow, this beer is complex with many different flavor levels. Fortunately I was able to share the wealth with a buddy of mine and he agreed with me on how good this beer really is. Mike, thank you so much for the opportunity to try this beer. I can't believe I have three of their bottles right now just waiting to be enjoyed. This beer is amazing, plain and simple. They really need to bottle this next time around.

BeerTruth, Apr 03, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Lob, Aug 25, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to mikesgroove for the chance to try this great beer. I often find myself at odds over what to make of the american double / imp stout category here on BA. I think I have a similar challenge with coffee beers. I like a rich coffee, low acidity, arabic beans, roasted to a level like starbucks medium brews but not french roast. So, what the heck does all that mean to this beer and or review? No idea. Ok, kidding. This beer was the september release, definitely foamy as my pilsner glass foamed over completely. The aroma is wonderful medium roasted coffee with an undertone of chocolate. Taste follows the aroma and by mid bottle through to the end this one is smooth and well balanced. I would have liked a slightly bigger body and mouthfeel but that's a minor aside to a great beer.

barleywinebrewer, Oct 05, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to ckeegan04 for this trade...January 2009 release. Was warned of Pisgah gusher issues but no such difficulty with this one - slight pffft of the cap prior to the initial pour into a Portsmouth snifter.

This is a solid pour. A full finger of peanut butter/ginger-colored head tops a cool espresso-dark body. This vessel is not one to foster head retention, but it works quite well here and maintains look throughout the lifespan of this bomber.

I'm enjoying the coffee/peanut scent with fine, piney hops and a sweet, almost root beer caramelized malt aroma.

Dryness comes about quite well in the taste profile. Almost slate-like. Decent enough patent tannins emerge without detriment; solid dry coffee grounds create an excellent texture. Dry fruits make an appearance...plums and maybe a little bit of prune. Rustic and rugged smokiness.

Palate feel here is quite nice - spritely for the style. Hop pine meshes with austere chocolate malt and bold coffee to make this extremely formidable and enjoyable. Finish remains even-keeled.

Light enough not to be heavy (OK, how deep is that?) but robust enough to be contemplative. Excellent effort. Extremely well-constructed. As Ron Hawkins' old amp used to say, "Clean enough to be healthy...Dirty enough to be happy." It reminded me of Cadillac Mountain Stout with a solid dry coffee tone. Perhaps it's the Southern love child of Caddy Mount and Wake & Bake? Excellent stuff, regardless...

IBUnit63, Aug 04, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Santa Deuane for this one. Once I struggled to get the cork out of this bottle.
I poured the bottle into a snifter and it produced a two finger coco colored Head that seems to be lasting. The body of course was a big black bomb

The first thing I smelled was coffee and chocolate right from the pour. After a bit I got a little sour yeast but not much

Flavors are Coffee that is about it till it warms. Not as sweet as Oscura, but the mouthfeel reminded me of it. It is a little light in the feel for an Imperial but ample carbonation maybe to much. Back to the flavor a little sweetness from the malts keeps it from being to bitter. Then some dark chocolate comes out as it warms.

A good coffee stout I really think there should be a separate category for these. The number of them seems to be climbing. Good drinkability I finished the bomber with no problems at all. Took my time and enjoyed it on this cloudy afternoon thanks again Santa

joepais, Jan 10, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Dark but not completely opaque brew. Dark chocolate brown in color topped by a medium brown orange tinted head. The head, comprised of medium bubbles densely packed together is large at first and fades to a foamy 1/4 inch. Lace is sparse. Aroma reminds me more of a milk (+ coffee) stout. Creamy, lactic, bakers chocolate, roast coffee, nuts, very light flowery hops, and a bunch of caramel maltiness. In the taste the roast coffee becomes more dominant than the chocolate and this still seems to have a lot of lactic qualities. Body is medium and the carbonation is appropriate. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit slick. Drinkability is decent.

tastybeer, Sep 28, 2008
3.99/5  rDev -4.1%

I was a bit disappointed to see that this beer had not been properly rated in nearly 3 months. So I pulled this bottle from the cellar to give it a go. This one has been in my cellar for about 6-8 months.

Even with the age I get almost three fingers of deep bread y brown head with a vigorous pour. It lasts a good bit and leaves a wall of lace behind as it slowly fades. Body is pure silky blackness as it should be.

Nose is of coffee distinctly up front. You also get a bit of earthy grain and tobacco to boot. A solid nose but not all that developed.

The flavor, well this is where things go a-rye. With first sip the stand out here is...sour. Yes it is apparent that there was a problem here in terms of infection. Shockingly enough however it really isn't bad. Although I know this beer was not meant to be a sour it plays the hand very well. Dark fruits are drawn from the coffee and almost come off like a Belgian dark ale. I have said this many times, some of the best beers come from accidents or brewery mistakes. The taste here is exciting and very nice. Tartness is complete and thorough across the palate.

Mouthfeel is a dry sour feel that is actually very good. The coffee plays a bit on the mouthfeel as well.

As it stands this is not what I expected at all. But it was a very pleasant surprise.

SPLITGRIN, Mar 06, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to Onenote81 for sending me a second bottle - definitely helped me confirm my feelings about the first. Thanks!

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown with one finger of dirty tan head that quickly dissolves into a dirty halo.

Smell -- Espresso, cocoa, soft caramels, and mild woodsmoke. Very inviting.

Taste -- Roast malt, gas station coffee, cocoa, and toffee. As the beer warms the alcohol becomes much more apparent, akin to drinking a Black Russian. Lingering flavor of stale coffee.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full body with an abundance of sharp, prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- Not bad, though a bit uninspired. The coffee fade is apparent, the carbonation is on the sharp side, and for the abv it tastes too boozy. While I'm glad I got to try it, this one didn't live up to its reputation.

yeahnatenelson, Feb 13, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

After all the hype I thought I'd better throw in my two bits. Fresh outta Pisgah in new 750ml bottle form, I grabbed a few of these the day they hit shelves in Asheville and drank one a few days later.

A. The bottle disgorges a fat, 2 finger tall frothy tan head and a jet-black, opaque brew. Looks like, well, coffee. You'll tire of hearing that word by the end of the review, trust me. Over time the head subsides down to a few centimeters and leaves a few tidbits of lace behind. Lots of white yeast globs settle to the bottom of my glass. A bottle conditioned coffee stout?
Yes please!

S. Just... coffee. Rich, yet restrained and non-acidic coffee. Char, earth, cocoa, roasted malt and java. Some malt sweetness comes through but this is coffee all the way. Intense and clean, this is a real winner.

T. Coffee delight. Sweet and roasty and dare I say, mellow. Exceptionally well done, but rather one-note. If you like your morning joe you'll LOVE this.

M. Fantastic. Zesty, fluffy carbonation tingles the tongue and the lush beer fills the mouth with creamy bubbles. The finish is pure mocha and lingers long. Simply outstanding!

D. Quite high for what it is. Valdez is light (at only 6.8%) and avoids the harsh espresso / burnt roast character that many coffee Imperial stouts boast. Instead, this is a flavorful, yet medium bodied coffee stout that remains terribly drinkable. Reminded me a great deal of Allagash Black in that it was purposely subdued to great effect.

Valdez is another hit from the mad brewers at Pisgah. This is one of the best coffee beers I've had, ever. Seek it out if you're a devotee of the noble bean!

kkipple, Sep 11, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

qcbrewer, Jul 22, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Into my Duvel glass, pours a slick dark brown to black, a whopping head of tan foam, sitting around forever, with great big bunches off lacing. Lovely. Aroma has nice dark chocolate notes, coffee grounds, mostly coffee, and thats pretty much it. Simply but effective.

Taste is a bit more diverse, some roasted malt entering the mix, maybe a bit of hop, maybe some cream, but its mostly coffee delight, much like the nose. Again, simple, but delicious. The mouth is smooth, full body, the lightest of carbonation, a nice finish. In all, I did a lot of searching for this one, and it isn't a home run hitter, but it is a fine beer.

objectivemonkey, May 20, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to aerozeppl for providing this magical brew.

A: Jet black body with a mocha head that goes on and on and on...

S: Straight coffee. Delish.

T: BAM!! Coffee. Very clean and crisp. There is a good lasting bitterness from the coffee.

M: Medium bodied. Pretty surprising for the intensity of the stoutness. Super smooth.

D: All day long baby. This is a world class beer.

drseamus, Nov 17, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Enjoyed with Kegatron, thanks to Deuane.

Pours a semi-thick black with big coffee colored head, with a great fall leaving a nice burnt orange/tan colored head, some retention and ok lacing. Smells big of chocolate when cold, but lots of coffee otherwise, also some licorice and roasted malt scents. Tastes like a coffee-holics dream with an overload of that magic coffee bean. Creamy cappuccino, milk chocolate, espresso, and bitter fresh roasted coffee with a nice hop finish. Medium in body, creamy and smooth with good carbonation, hides alcohol well. If you like coffee stouts, this is as good as it gets, extremely drinkable. Wish it was proper to start off every morning with a pint of this!

HopDerek, Mar 06, 2008
3.46/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

"Adhering to the strict philosophy of the Pisgah brewers, this mouth watering coffee stout is brewed just miles downstream from America's most beautiful watershed. Brewed with coffee beans from asheville Coffee Roasters, and weighing in at a respectable 6.8% abv, the aroma of fresh coffee leaps from the glass, and finishes slightly dry. Treat yourself to the finest coffee stout this season, Unfiltered for your enjoyment. Respect tradition. Love beer. Treat Yourself!"

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber to a snifter. Served above 48º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a silk foamy brown tone head with a slightly above average retention. Body is a dark brown with red highlights. Sediment heavy on the bottom, light flecks don't quite settle. Decent head quality, a little crisp and doesn't last long and lacing is thin. A decent appearance but worthy of much more. 3.25

(Smell) I am slightly put off by the aroma, perhaps by its dryness or the acid presence which makes a big part of the aroma. Bitter coffee bean notes forward and a chalky chocolate chip cookie. Earthy hop presence in places. Mild tones of char beyond a generally clean aroma. Relatively light on the nose, with a lesser balance towards sweetness and a bigger emphasis on bitterness and tart black coffee, light on the creamy notes. Most interesting is a doughy dry yeast aroma with some slight notes of tart fruit. The coffee notes are in decent balance with the other aromas in this beer, as there seems plenty of substance to be had. Potency is medium-high. 3.5

(Taste) Most interesting. Front has a fruity juice tartness, followed through with roasty chocolate notes. Mild black mocha coffee finish and a hint of char. Very heavy emphasis on fruit, quite interesting and a bit unusual for my expectations of a coffee stout, but not an unwelcome variation. The balance is actually quite decent and dryness isn't overwhelming. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Oily slickness with a mild creaminess on the finish. Tartness in the body is really a confusion to the appropriate texture, slickness and creaminess is probably the best bet nonetheless. Body is just shy of medium for an Imperial Stout, medium/high amongst all beers. Alcohol presence is largely concealed. 3.75

(Overall) My thought is that this beer is a bit older than anticipated and that the yeast have had some fun transforming the beer. It wasn't a terrible transformation, just a much fruitier beer than I had anticipated with a bit less coffee and roasty flavors than I had desired. I hope to get a really fresh batch of this beer in the near future so that I can confirm these suspicions, as this beer currently seems unfocused, and perhaps misguided, at the worst. 3.25

Pisgah Brewing Company's
Valdez
3.46/5.00

Jadjunk, Jan 15, 2013

baklo, Oct 19, 2012
Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.