Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
3.6/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle dated December 2009 courtesy of Robert. Thanks for the opportunity!

Pours a dark brown. Head dissipates almost immediately leaving a thin ring along the edges.

Smell is mostly coffee with a touch of chocolate and caramel. Not robust and in your face, but still present for being nearly a year and half old.

Coffee is front and center. Caramel and roast provide support. Easy drinking and rather simplistic. This isn't a dig on the beer, it's just an easy drinking coffee stout with no real bells and whistles. Robert was kind enough to send a 2010 as well, so I'll have to do a comparison at some point.

A bit thin and slightly watery, which seems to me a problem for many coffee stouts. Overall, this was a nice light coffee stout that didn't overwhelm me after a long run.

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

thanks to thagr81us for this one.

poured cold, black and fairly aggressively from the bottle to a founder's brewing company goblet with a full finger, big bubbled mocha head with nice retention and spotty lace.

aroma of creamy espresso and milk chocolate.

coffee and chocolate cupcakes, with a tad bit of tangy bitter to the roof of the mouth.

light to medium bodied for the style, high carbonation, smooth, tangy bitter.

drinkable - sure, a bomber's worth.

overall, real nice beer, big coffee - not a fan of this tangy bitter, but its not to the point of distraction.

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from the tap at Barley's Taproom in Asheville, NC to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark brown to black with good carbonation. The head was a big 2+ fingers but our bar tender toped it off to give a most generous pour. The head when delivered was 1 thick finger of off white creamy foam it had good retention and left good lace.

The smell was like Coffee in a nice stout. The medium roast coffee smell was great, melded with some classic stout aromas like chocolate and light char.

The taste followed well, big coffee flavor, this is easy in the top 5 coffee beers I have had. Must not have had too much alcohol as I had 2 pints and not a buzz, could be 5-6 %. That says something, 43 taps and I have 2 of the same. LOL Other flavors include mild char & light chocolate.

The mouthfeel was good, better then medium body, and nice carbonation.

The drinkability was great, I sampled 5-6 different brews before asking for another of this same. I was told the brewer only did 5 barrels, so if Coffee Stout is your thing get it while you can.

Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

I've been wanting to try this one for a few years now and finally broke down and acquired a bottle...

Poured into a Chimay goblet...

Pours a 98% black with only a little brown showing around the edges when I hold the goblet up to the light... This brew forms a good head at first but that quickly dies down to leave just a little wispy one.. Not bad at all...

Huge pungent aromas of dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee beans that have been freshly ground... I have a Keurig coffeemaker and there's a brand of coffee that is super dark and rich and when its brewing it smells just like this beer... Very pungent and dark smelling with notes of what might be a little smokiness like a good smoked porter might have...

Loads of very dark roasted malts and coffee beans up front here... It's not hugely complex but I think that this is the sort of beer that doesn't have to be... You know what you're getting when you buy it.. It's a coffee stout first and foremost..

The mouthfeel leaves quite a bit to be desired here... This is basically a coffee porter if judged by the mouthfeel here... It isnt in the same class in this category with the other brews of the style...

Even with the thin mouthfeel, I still liked this one quite a bit... It's very drinkable and tasty and I'm very glad I got to give this one a shot... Would I purchase this one again? Hmmm.. hard to say.. I'd like to try it on tap sometime and do a comparison... The thin mouthfeel here sort of mars this one in my opinion...

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.18/5  rDev +1%

Received this brew from both tpd975 and hoppymeal in fairly recent trades. This will be my first Pisgah brew and thank the lord! I absolutely love coffee brews and they are by far my favorite 'style'. Drank from my Darkness snifter.

September 2008 on side of bottle. Holy F'n cork, they weld these in apparently.

Appearance- Oh this is a good looking brew. Pours a super dark black with an absolutely huge three finger dark khaki head that recedes fairly slowly. My snifter is half beer, half head. A thin cap and nice manly collar remain behind leaving somewhere between a lot and an ass ton of lacing.
Smell- Coffee. I could easily just end there and this would be my most accurate review of a nose yet. A bit of cream and chocolate but I've said too much...
Taste- Slightly dirty and murky from the start with bits of raw cocoa nibs and acrid watered down coffee. Some cream and light sugar add a smooth sweetness but frankly I think the over-carbonation takes this beer down a notch. No hops to speak of. The majority of the coffee flavor is in the aftertaste after the burn of the CO2 wears off. It's lightly sweet and full of French roast goodness. If not for the aggressive carbonation this would definitely be a 5.
Mouthfeel- Thin body (maybe from adding brewed coffee?) and light crisp feel that is not what I like in this style beer. I prefer smooth and creamy and this is the only flaw in this brew IMO. It's just a shame that this particular flaw affects the flavor so much.
Drinkability- After some of the carbonation escapes this thing really picks up. The coffee seems to come out a bit more and it really shines. Since I never really got the beer cold it honestly didn't take long to smooth out a bit. I'll bump up the mouthfeel a half point more than I would have but it still needs toned down. Okay, no more Nancy negative. This really is a nice coffee brew that tastes delicious and I really did enjoy. Thanks again to Greg and Derek!

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle thanks to Kegatron.

Pours black with a large foamy white head, taking a good amount of time to settle completely; a beautiful beer.

Scent of mild bitter coffee, oatmeal, cinnamon, chocolate, and brown sugar. After nearly a year, the coffee is still present but fading.

Taste of chocolate, oatmeal, coffee, roasted malts, brown sugar and toffee. Finishes with a bitter chocolate and coffee flavor. Not as potent as it was when it was fresh, but I could drink this all day long even now.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a biting carbonation.

THIS IS THE BEER FOR COFFEE LOVERS!!!
Pitch black in color. Large brown head with some pink and ruby colors in it. Best head on a beer that I've ever seen. Head recedes and holds at a solid finger in height. Lot's of lacing cakes the glass.
WOW!!! What an aroma. The moment the cap is popped off of the growler, the aroma of fresh ground coffee beans fills the room. Rich dark French Roasted coffee and nothing but coffee.
This beer is totolly single minded and unbalanced, and I love it. Flavor burst of rich dark coffee. This is better than most coffees I've had. Maybe some oatmeal in the finish but it has a hard time shinning through all of the coffee flavors.
Mouthfeel is smooth and yummy. I origionally gave this a 4.5 in mouthfeel as I've never given a beer all 5's because I believe all beers can improve. But I couldn't find any fought in the mouthfeel so it gets a 5 too.
Drinkability? I had it as a nightcap last night and am pouring another pint for breakfest. Pisgah...please put this beer in IV form and run a line right to my veins. Ok, you can't do that. The least you could do is make this your next bottled offering.

3.15/5  rDev -23.9%

Appearance: looks and pours like a cup of joe with about a 2.5" head.

Smell: Fresh coffee with sugar and a little milk.

Taste: Same as the smell, plus a hint of dark rum.

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I would expect in an Imperial Stout

Drinkability: Low, unless you love coffee beers, then add a point to each category.

I can't give a very good score for watery coffee, particularly since others (peche mortel, sexual chocolate) are so much better.

3.55/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks to Mikesgroove for the bottle.

750ml corked and caged brown bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark cola or root beer color with lots of carbonation. A big dark khaki head forms very frothy and only holds about a minute. Some lacing.

S: Plenty of coffee and chocolate to go around. Very sweet and I'm assuming Belgian candi sugar. Some nice roasty notes. Has a nice hop backing.

T/M: More of the big coffee notes and less of the chocolate. A bit too sweet with more of the Belgian candi sugar. A good hop character backing things up. Carbonation is very high and reflects on the taste.

D: I'm a bit disappointed. I had really been looking forward to this and it just wasn't everything I'd hoped for. I love coffee beers but just didn't dig this one as much. Decent but not the greatest.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to stopbarking for tossing this one in on round one of the LNBA BIF.

Classic pisgah 750 corked and caged. Pours a deep black with a fizzy tan head that recedes relatively quickly and leaves minimal lace.

Nose is strong coffee and roasted malt. A bit of fresh grain.

Taste follows. Very very nice coffee flavor, roasted malt, and black barley, Some hop flavors in here, but they are pretty minimal. Anise, more coffee. Black coffee. Bean bitterness. Some slight chocolate here. Would like a bit more creaminess. Wonderful coffee profile in this beer. Black but not burnt. Very nice.

Mouthfeel struggles a bit here. It is quite a bit overcarbonated for the style. Thin in the mouth, and not enough creamy viscosity for the style. Low abv does not assist this either. This is sort of a one and a half stout.

Drinkability is solid, could defenitely put more than one of these away without really thinking about it. Especially with the easy abv.

Overall a very unique coffee stout, with the high carbonation. I am not a big fan of this added bubbly as of yet. The organic coffee used in this brew is quite something. Very very nice coffee profile. Roasty and toasty. A very nice stout from the MASTERS of organic brewing at Pisgah. After Vortex 1 and this one, Pisgah is certainly on the top of my list as far as the best organic breweries out there, and up there for breweries in general as well. Great beer.

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this growler.

64 oz. of goodness poured into a nonic.

Wow, who likes coffee? Pours a midnight black with a huge three finger brown head that stays and stays. Nice webbing left on the sides of the glass. Smell is sweet caramel, espresso, and coffee grinds. Definitely a sweet smelling coffee beer for sure, but by far one of the most enjoyable. This is organic? Taste is actually pretty different from the smell. More of a bitter coffee flavor up front with cocoa and cane sugar. Gets sweeter towards the end with a caramel malt and coffee ice cream sweetness. But really, this is organic? Creamy mouth with the slightest hop sting. Dry in the aftertaste with some smokey notes. Wow, this beer is complex with many different flavor levels. Fortunately I was able to share the wealth with a buddy of mine and he agreed with me on how good this beer really is. Mike, thank you so much for the opportunity to try this beer. I can't believe I have three of their bottles right now just waiting to be enjoyed. This beer is amazing, plain and simple. They really need to bottle this next time around.

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

Dark but not completely opaque brew. Dark chocolate brown in color topped by a medium brown orange tinted head. The head, comprised of medium bubbles densely packed together is large at first and fades to a foamy 1/4 inch. Lace is sparse. Aroma reminds me more of a milk (+ coffee) stout. Creamy, lactic, bakers chocolate, roast coffee, nuts, very light flowery hops, and a bunch of caramel maltiness. In the taste the roast coffee becomes more dominant than the chocolate and this still seems to have a lot of lactic qualities. Body is medium and the carbonation is appropriate. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit slick. Drinkability is decent.

3.99/5  rDev -3.6%

I was a bit disappointed to see that this beer had not been properly rated in nearly 3 months. So I pulled this bottle from the cellar to give it a go. This one has been in my cellar for about 6-8 months.

Even with the age I get almost three fingers of deep bread y brown head with a vigorous pour. It lasts a good bit and leaves a wall of lace behind as it slowly fades. Body is pure silky blackness as it should be.

Nose is of coffee distinctly up front. You also get a bit of earthy grain and tobacco to boot. A solid nose but not all that developed.

The flavor, well this is where things go a-rye. With first sip the stand out here is...sour. Yes it is apparent that there was a problem here in terms of infection. Shockingly enough however it really isn't bad. Although I know this beer was not meant to be a sour it plays the hand very well. Dark fruits are drawn from the coffee and almost come off like a Belgian dark ale. I have said this many times, some of the best beers come from accidents or brewery mistakes. The taste here is exciting and very nice. Tartness is complete and thorough across the palate.

Mouthfeel is a dry sour feel that is actually very good. The coffee plays a bit on the mouthfeel as well.

As it stands this is not what I expected at all. But it was a very pleasant surprise.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to mikesgroove for the chance to try this great beer. I often find myself at odds over what to make of the american double / imp stout category here on BA. I think I have a similar challenge with coffee beers. I like a rich coffee, low acidity, arabic beans, roasted to a level like starbucks medium brews but not french roast. So, what the heck does all that mean to this beer and or review? No idea. Ok, kidding. This beer was the september release, definitely foamy as my pilsner glass foamed over completely. The aroma is wonderful medium roasted coffee with an undertone of chocolate. Taste follows the aroma and by mid bottle through to the end this one is smooth and well balanced. I would have liked a slightly bigger body and mouthfeel but that's a minor aside to a great beer.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to ckeegan04 for this trade...January 2009 release. Was warned of Pisgah gusher issues but no such difficulty with this one - slight pffft of the cap prior to the initial pour into a Portsmouth snifter.

This is a solid pour. A full finger of peanut butter/ginger-colored head tops a cool espresso-dark body. This vessel is not one to foster head retention, but it works quite well here and maintains look throughout the lifespan of this bomber.

I'm enjoying the coffee/peanut scent with fine, piney hops and a sweet, almost root beer caramelized malt aroma.

Dryness comes about quite well in the taste profile. Almost slate-like. Decent enough patent tannins emerge without detriment; solid dry coffee grounds create an excellent texture. Dry fruits make an appearance...plums and maybe a little bit of prune. Rustic and rugged smokiness.

Palate feel here is quite nice - spritely for the style. Hop pine meshes with austere chocolate malt and bold coffee to make this extremely formidable and enjoyable. Finish remains even-keeled.

Light enough not to be heavy (OK, how deep is that?) but robust enough to be contemplative. Excellent effort. Extremely well-constructed. As Ron Hawkins' old amp used to say, "Clean enough to be healthy...Dirty enough to be happy." It reminded me of Cadillac Mountain Stout with a solid dry coffee tone. Perhaps it's the Southern love child of Caddy Mount and Wake & Bake? Excellent stuff, regardless...

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Santa Deuane for this one. Once I struggled to get the cork out of this bottle.
I poured the bottle into a snifter and it produced a two finger coco colored Head that seems to be lasting. The body of course was a big black bomb

The first thing I smelled was coffee and chocolate right from the pour. After a bit I got a little sour yeast but not much

Flavors are Coffee that is about it till it warms. Not as sweet as Oscura, but the mouthfeel reminded me of it. It is a little light in the feel for an Imperial but ample carbonation maybe to much. Back to the flavor a little sweetness from the malts keeps it from being to bitter. Then some dark chocolate comes out as it warms.

A good coffee stout I really think there should be a separate category for these. The number of them seems to be climbing. Good drinkability I finished the bomber with no problems at all. Took my time and enjoyed it on this cloudy afternoon thanks again Santa

Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.