Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

3.46/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

"Adhering to the strict philosophy of the Pisgah brewers, this mouth watering coffee stout is brewed just miles downstream from America's most beautiful watershed. Brewed with coffee beans from asheville Coffee Roasters, and weighing in at a respectable 6.8% abv, the aroma of fresh coffee leaps from the glass, and finishes slightly dry. Treat yourself to the finest coffee stout this season, Unfiltered for your enjoyment. Respect tradition. Love beer. Treat Yourself!"

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber to a snifter. Served above 48º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a silk foamy brown tone head with a slightly above average retention. Body is a dark brown with red highlights. Sediment heavy on the bottom, light flecks don't quite settle. Decent head quality, a little crisp and doesn't last long and lacing is thin. A decent appearance but worthy of much more. 3.25

(Smell) I am slightly put off by the aroma, perhaps by its dryness or the acid presence which makes a big part of the aroma. Bitter coffee bean notes forward and a chalky chocolate chip cookie. Earthy hop presence in places. Mild tones of char beyond a generally clean aroma. Relatively light on the nose, with a lesser balance towards sweetness and a bigger emphasis on bitterness and tart black coffee, light on the creamy notes. Most interesting is a doughy dry yeast aroma with some slight notes of tart fruit. The coffee notes are in decent balance with the other aromas in this beer, as there seems plenty of substance to be had. Potency is medium-high. 3.5

(Taste) Most interesting. Front has a fruity juice tartness, followed through with roasty chocolate notes. Mild black mocha coffee finish and a hint of char. Very heavy emphasis on fruit, quite interesting and a bit unusual for my expectations of a coffee stout, but not an unwelcome variation. The balance is actually quite decent and dryness isn't overwhelming. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Oily slickness with a mild creaminess on the finish. Tartness in the body is really a confusion to the appropriate texture, slickness and creaminess is probably the best bet nonetheless. Body is just shy of medium for an Imperial Stout, medium/high amongst all beers. Alcohol presence is largely concealed. 3.75

(Overall) My thought is that this beer is a bit older than anticipated and that the yeast have had some fun transforming the beer. It wasn't a terrible transformation, just a much fruitier beer than I had anticipated with a bit less coffee and roasty flavors than I had desired. I hope to get a really fresh batch of this beer in the near future so that I can confirm these suspicions, as this beer currently seems unfocused, and perhaps misguided, at the worst. 3.25

Pisgah Brewing Company's
Valdez
3.46/5.00

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to Onenote81 for sending me a second bottle - definitely helped me confirm my feelings about the first. Thanks!

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown with one finger of dirty tan head that quickly dissolves into a dirty halo.

Smell -- Espresso, cocoa, soft caramels, and mild woodsmoke. Very inviting.

Taste -- Roast malt, gas station coffee, cocoa, and toffee. As the beer warms the alcohol becomes much more apparent, akin to drinking a Black Russian. Lingering flavor of stale coffee.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full body with an abundance of sharp, prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- Not bad, though a bit uninspired. The coffee fade is apparent, the carbonation is on the sharp side, and for the abv it tastes too boozy. While I'm glad I got to try it, this one didn't live up to its reputation.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

After all the hype I thought I'd better throw in my two bits. Fresh outta Pisgah in new 750ml bottle form, I grabbed a few of these the day they hit shelves in Asheville and drank one a few days later.

A. The bottle disgorges a fat, 2 finger tall frothy tan head and a jet-black, opaque brew. Looks like, well, coffee. You'll tire of hearing that word by the end of the review, trust me. Over time the head subsides down to a few centimeters and leaves a few tidbits of lace behind. Lots of white yeast globs settle to the bottom of my glass. A bottle conditioned coffee stout?
Yes please!

S. Just... coffee. Rich, yet restrained and non-acidic coffee. Char, earth, cocoa, roasted malt and java. Some malt sweetness comes through but this is coffee all the way. Intense and clean, this is a real winner.

T. Coffee delight. Sweet and roasty and dare I say, mellow. Exceptionally well done, but rather one-note. If you like your morning joe you'll LOVE this.

M. Fantastic. Zesty, fluffy carbonation tingles the tongue and the lush beer fills the mouth with creamy bubbles. The finish is pure mocha and lingers long. Simply outstanding!

D. Quite high for what it is. Valdez is light (at only 6.8%) and avoids the harsh espresso / burnt roast character that many coffee Imperial stouts boast. Instead, this is a flavorful, yet medium bodied coffee stout that remains terribly drinkable. Reminded me a great deal of Allagash Black in that it was purposely subdued to great effect.

Valdez is another hit from the mad brewers at Pisgah. This is one of the best coffee beers I've had, ever. Seek it out if you're a devotee of the noble bean!

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Into my Duvel glass, pours a slick dark brown to black, a whopping head of tan foam, sitting around forever, with great big bunches off lacing. Lovely. Aroma has nice dark chocolate notes, coffee grounds, mostly coffee, and thats pretty much it. Simply but effective.

Taste is a bit more diverse, some roasted malt entering the mix, maybe a bit of hop, maybe some cream, but its mostly coffee delight, much like the nose. Again, simple, but delicious. The mouth is smooth, full body, the lightest of carbonation, a nice finish. In all, I did a lot of searching for this one, and it isn't a home run hitter, but it is a fine beer.

4.68/5  rDev +13%

Thanks to aerozeppl for providing this magical brew.

A: Jet black body with a mocha head that goes on and on and on...

S: Straight coffee. Delish.

T: BAM!! Coffee. Very clean and crisp. There is a good lasting bitterness from the coffee.

M: Medium bodied. Pretty surprising for the intensity of the stoutness. Super smooth.

D: All day long baby. This is a world class beer.

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Enjoyed with Kegatron, thanks to Deuane.

Pours a semi-thick black with big coffee colored head, with a great fall leaving a nice burnt orange/tan colored head, some retention and ok lacing. Smells big of chocolate when cold, but lots of coffee otherwise, also some licorice and roasted malt scents. Tastes like a coffee-holics dream with an overload of that magic coffee bean. Creamy cappuccino, milk chocolate, espresso, and bitter fresh roasted coffee with a nice hop finish. Medium in body, creamy and smooth with good carbonation, hides alcohol well. If you like coffee stouts, this is as good as it gets, extremely drinkable. Wish it was proper to start off every morning with a pint of this!

4.31/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great overall beer from those brewing greats of Pisgah. I preferred the thinner body, along w/ the lower abv%, as it tended to bring the coffee accents out. Plus, it was an easy drinker.

This one is all about the coffee. The roasted flavor is there, then a sweet creaminess, & finishes w/ a sweet, slight chalkiness. The coffee lingers on the tongue way after you've taken your last sip. Truly outstanding!

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a thick tan head that is slow to reduce.

Has a nice roasted coffee smell, with a fair mount of malt as well. Mild chocolate notes as well.

Well balanced, with decent coffee taste, chocolate nibs, and oats. Mild bitterness midway that fades as it is swallowed.

Medium bodied, mild bitterness; pleasant.

Highly drinkable, my only disappointment is that I cannot find this locally.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Coffee blammo WOW in the nose right off the bat. Amazing aroma. Absolutely perfect for a coffee stout. Roasted dark coffee, the stout has medium body, lacy appearance, and a clean finish. The taste doesn't match the aroma, unfortunately, as it can't match the coffee bitterness and sweetness, and the water sticks out just a little. That said, it's incredible to smell, and that factor alone keeps you coming back.

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to McNuts for this freebee at an in person pint at Papago.

Poured into a tulip glass. Dark, dark, dark brown in color. No light penetrates this one. Head is three fingers and a beautiful light brown, dolloped on, sticky masterpiece. Lace is starting out like a champ, but doesn't stay around to the end.

Smell is of dark roasted coffee. Not so much coffee grounds or beans, but the aroma you get from fresh brewed coffee. Maybe just a hint of chocolate and some smoke or char.

Taste is kind of like burnt coffee. Not in a bad way though. Just deep roasted flavors that come to me as that. There is ash or smoke flavor there also. End is a bit tart and the taste of a raspberry or cherry. I don't get any chocolate flavors and at 6.8% I defiantly don't get any alcohol.

The mouth is probably where this one falls off for me. For it being called a Double or Imperial Stout it is pretty thin. I could name quite a few Imperial Porters with a better mouth than this. It is thin and watery. More a Porter than an IS.

Overall I was very happy with this. Valdez has an excellent smell and taste, but falls short of the category with it's weak mouth. That being said... I still recommend this to any one that has access.

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Before I start, let me tell you that I do love coffee.

Pours near black with ruby edges and a nice tan head that caps it off and remains for a good while, leaving a good ring with light lacing down the glass. Smell is heavenly. The most fresh coffee I've ever smelled in a beer, as if it were just ground. Good and roasted with a grainy scent. Taste might have just one-upped Breakfast Stout. First it's dark, roasted coffee grounds. Very fresh and tasty, exploding on tongue. It seems too intense until a creamy sensation comes to rescue. Some vanilla and light oats with milky chocolate. It's like I was drinking some black coffee and all the sudden the beer knew I liked a little cream and sugar, brilliant! Mouthfeel is pushing full and I'm not sure this is big enough to qualify as a Double/Imperial Stout but it's excellent. Velvety and creamy for the most part with a slight roast bitterness in there. I had three pints from the growler without even thinking twice...that's when I realized that this might be my new favorite coffee stout.

I think this is actually considered an American Stout and if so it would get a perfect score in my book.

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle gifted to me a generous extra courtesy of Marine1975 during and in-person trade at Sexual Chocolate 2011, thanks Shane!

Poured in my Troegs Troegenator mug from a 22oz bottles right after arriving home from SC'11. Pours thick and creamy and it bascially black in color, looks delicious and I can smell it already. Strong coffee aroma that smells incredibly fresh. Some cocoa, coffee steal the show and I am really enjoying this already. Taste is equally as nice with coffee, espresso, cocoa, milk chocolate and hints of bitter dark chocolate. Mouthfeel is fuller than some people are of themselves on this site.

Overall this is a great beer and one that I would have on hand at all times if it were available in my area.

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

First I'd like to thank ncvbc for sending me this growler, I'm gonna have to send you something nice for this one ;o)

Poured into my Surly pint glass.

Slight hiss as I took the cap off, good sign.

Wow! Really intense aroma as soon as I start pouring. I get some of the most freshly roasted coffee aroma I have ever experienced in a coffee stout. There's also quite a bit of cream, sugar and vanilla in the aroma. Wow, look at that, I skipped the description of the beer's appearance and went straight to the aroma...

The Valdez pours a dark roasted color with a good inch of mocha colored foam. The foam retains for about a minute and then settles to a very thin layer. Ok back to the aroma...

A cup of freshly roasted coffee, that's what it smells like. There's also a good dose of toasted malts, chocolate malts, milk chocolate. I'm also picking up some aromas of hazelnut flavored cream. I'm almost afraid to try it and be disappointed of the taste not living up to this wonderful aroma. I could just smell this beer for a few minutes and be pleased with that.

Taste is slightly less intense than the aroma but still very good. Lots of roasted coffee with some toast, nutty malts, cream and finishes with a bit of vanilla. The second sip is slightly more flavorful in the coffee department and now I'm picking up the milk chocolate and some cocoa with just a touch of roasted barley on the finish. After about half a pint I begin to pick up some toffee flavors and more vanilla in the middle.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, semi-creamy, but maybe just a tad thin which seems to come from the low carbonation of this beer. While this beer is lightly carbonated I think it is the perfect amount for this as it does not sting the tongue and passes down smoothly like a cup of coffee with cream.

Drinkability? Well, lets see how I do with this growler, fortunately the beer seems to be only 7%, as stated by a sticker on the growler, but a pint of this drinks extremely easy.

Even though I have some bottled beers from Pisgah, Baptista and Vortex II, this is my first taste of any Pisgah beer and it was great. I cannot wait to try their other offerings.

This beer needs to be bottled!

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.14/5  rDev 0%

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

Thanks to Taylor for sharing this impossible to get on the west coast treat. I thought this was a DIPA, but when it poured out I realized I was wrong.

Pours a nice foamy tan head, black from the waist down.

Has roasted coffee, olive? chocolate smells. Smells like a tan greek.

Coffe up front, some bitter hops shine through, but mostly coffee and chocolate.

A little too thin, but when it warms up and coats your tongue, very tasty residuals of choco-coffee. Not a lot of alcohol bit, which is good.

Overall an interesting beer, to be so complex and low abv is a job well done. Good on ya mates.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Pours a simply beautiful dark brownish/black - like root beer only a couple shades darker. A full rich 2 finger caramel colored head tops the beer and just does not recede. Super thick lacing completely covers the glass. Smells of perfectly roasted high quality coffee beans dominate the nose. I am in no rush to taste this beer as the aroma alone is especially captivating. First sip is a coffee rush that would satisfy most anyone standing in line at Starbucks. Like the aroma, the tastes screams perfectly deep-roasted high quality oily beans. A bunch of dark chocolate bleeds thru. The mouthfeel, like everything else about this beer is phenomenal.

Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.