Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)

stonequarrywest, Feb 09, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

13esd, Feb 11, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a tulip....Huge thanks to GehenHerzog for this extra.

A- Pours pitch black with a mocha colored head. The thin head creates a film that encompasses the beer's body. Not much carbonation can be seen.

S- Deep roasted espresso bean with some toffee. Roasted malt and chocolate are also at the forefront. There is no debating the dominant robust coffee character that arrest you and never let go.

T- Roasted, sweet coffee beans with a chocolaty finish. Tastes just liken it smells. Small hint of bitterness from the coffee beans. Truly amazing flavor. Just like biting into a premium espresso bean.

M- Creamy and silky smooth. Medium carbonation. Not too thick, not too light. A bit of dryness from the rich coffee notes.

D- This is fantastic drinking. Creamy, smooth delicious coffee. I'll have no problem finishing off this bomber. I just wish I had access to more.

dgugliuzza, Mar 01, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

hoerr, Mar 21, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Pisgah 3/13/09

Being a huge fan of Founders BS I was looking forward to this. It pours with a nice 1" head and is pitch black. Smell is all coffee all the time and I like it! Taste is a very nice coffee roasted malt taste and is perfectly balanced. Mouthfeel is very good and a little dry, it's a fairly drinkable IS and I happily finished a 22oz bottle in about an hour sipping it after it warmed a bit.

Pisgah has proven again they are a SOLID brewery!

unionturf, Mar 18, 2009

This is the second time I've had this beer. The first time was out of a two week old growler and THAT was awesome.

This sample exhibited more head...three fingers worth. Slow to subside, it eventually came down to a creamy coffee film with some mild lacing down the glass.

Smell was very definitely java but I also get a good dose of cocoa out of this. Very enticing.

Taste was more coffee and dark chocolate along with some vanilla and wood.

Mouthfeel starts out a little prickly but as the beer warms and mellows, it mellows to a creaminess that isn't initially expected.

Drinkability is very nice as as this beer is not too big. It's a very enjoyable 750ml of jo.

nflmvp, Sep 13, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

So for my 50th review and since I'm celebrating my last day working at the shithole I work at, I let my girlfriend pull any beer out of my cellar to split with me. She came up the steps with this bottle. Bitch may be a keeper after all. Bottle courtesy of akorsak. Thanks Adam.

A.Poured pitch black with a fluffy brown head.

S. Smells like liquid sex... Huge burnt coffee and dark chocolate notes to this one. If you got a coffee maker, brew up a pot leave about 2-3 inches of coffee in the pot, turn the warmer on and leave it there for 8 hours. that's what this smells like.

T. taste holds true to the smell. burnt coffee and dark chocolate bitterness. Bitterness takes this over as it warms and alcohol makes a slight presence. One tasty fucking beer.

M. Mouthfeel slacks a little. maybe a little too much carbonation and a little too thin. the only thing I feel this beer lacked.

D. Drinks like a champ if you can handle a little bitterness. I kind of wanted to grab a Rocky Patel 92 Robusto out of the humidor, sit on the porch and live the good life for an hour sipping this.

Overall this is a great beer to seek out at least once. Would love to get one or two more for the cellar

EGledhill, Nov 15, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +20%

I received a growler of this beer in the "February Growling at the Moon" exchange from mikesgroove. This was my first month in the exchange and all I can say is I hope every month's beer is this good, but it will certainly be hard to top!!

A - Dark brown to black. When held to the light....nothing at all shines through. There was not much head even after an aggressive pour. I'm assuming it may be because it is from the growler that was a few days old. The small head that did form lasted a very short period and there really was not much lacing as I drank.

S - Since I'm a coffee lover the smell was fantastic. There is not much else to the smell besides coffee, but again it was great to me.

T - Coffee through and through. As an earlier review mentioned, it was like a thick cup of coffee. I almost couldn't tell that it was a beer.

M - It was smooth, creamy, and full but not too full or syrupy. Carbonation just tickled tongue enough - that's what made me remember it was beer not coffee.

D - I cannot begin to explain how much I loved this beer. I could drink it in the morning (which I did since I had a snow day today), or drink at night (which I did immediately after I received it), or drink it all day long (I can only hope I can do that sometime down the road).

As others have mentioned I am a coffee lover too. Just a warning if you are not a coffee lover this beer may not be for you. Overall it is just a well crafted beer.

This is the first offering I had from Pisgah. I can only hope I can get my hands on some more of their stuff, along with more of the Valdez!! Thanks again for spreading the Pisgah love mikesgroove.

dashirey, Feb 22, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown/ black with a nice milk chocolate colored head that fades to a little ring that leaves marks down the glass at each level.
Smell is alot of mild coffee notes. Small hops bite behind the coffee, and some toffee and earthy tones.
Taste at first is all coffee. As it warms the other tastes become more apparent to me. Unsweetened chocolate, caramel roasted malts, and a hops bite that hides behind what you think is coffee bitterness.
Mouthfeel is great. This is supposed to be closer to 7.2 than 6.8, but either way it hides the alcohol almost completely for me. The caffeine makes it even more deceptively drinkable.
Overall one of the best offerings from a great brewery. There is a reason this beer is so popular among BAs, and this batch is no different. I'll review one of the bottles later.

jraycee, Oct 10, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Appears clear and black with the darkest head I've seen on a stout. Smells like an Irish Coffee, missing only the more vanilla notes. Tastes nutty with mildly roasted coffee shining through. Very dry. A little harsh in the end and would benefit from a little aging. This is a great beer that deserves it's place in the top 10 IS's. Well done.

barrelman, Sep 23, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -22%

12 oz bottle, Glass stein

Appearance - Pitch black, with a tan head that foamed easily. Generous carbonation maintains the head for some time, though lacing was minimal.

Smell - Toasted coffee almost exclusively, with muted notes of earth and biscuits.

Taste - Coffee notes come in quickly, and then fade to a semi-dry, toasty finish. Nothing remarkable really.

Mouth Feel - Overcarbonated for the style, and too dry/astringent. Body feels thin and unremarkable.

Drinkability - Price wasn't horrible, $6.50 I think, and it's a local brew which is always good to support. ABV keeps it drinkable as well.

Really not impressed, to the point that I will actually try this beer again just in case something is off in my palette. It's priced right, and I do enjoy supporting a local brewery, especially one as innovative as Pisgah. Their Vortex II was excellent, and this one was rather boring.

UnDeadly, Jan 10, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into Aecht snifter courtesy of aasher. Pours a solid black with mocha-tan foam head that leaves about a quarter-inch.

All kinds of chile on the nose with some coffee and dark chocolate. Am i reviewing an Imperial Stout?

Chile on the nose, just like the smell. Coffee is real solid as is the chocolate. More tangy than one would think.

Carbonation is slightly high for the style, but the coffee and chile help to balance it out.

Decent beer, but too much carbonation and lack of chewiness. Perhaps i should let it warm a little bit more?

zep9865, Jan 11, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +9.4%

I've been hearing good things about Valdez for awhile, and I finally managed to get up to Asheville to get a bottle. The beer pours a standard black with a big fluffy tan colored head. The smell is one of a kind, I was really impressed. A whiff of cream and coffee hits the nose just like if you were holding some really good java. You can definitely detect some sweetness as well.

The taste almost lives up to the smell. I initially got a hint of creaminess with the coffee and malts coming through soon after. It trails off with some bitterness, definitely an interesting taste experience. The beer is moderately carbonated, leaving a satisfying mouthfeel. As long as you love coffee one would probably have little problem drinking a few glasses of Valdez. A very flavorful beer that is not overpowering but still unique. I highly recommend this beer to anyone that at least likes coffee somewhat.

Gish, Oct 03, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Very dark brown pour with a brown head to match.
S: There is lots of coffee up front in the nose but no harshness. The coffe is a light roast. A little bit of sweetness.
T: A light roast coffee flavor. Some roast and dark chocolate. There is a little bit of tartness. Some woodsy and earthy flavors.
MF: Medium mouth feel and medium carbonation.
D: I really liked thie light roasted coffee in this beer. I would love to have this on tap at work instead of morning coffee. It reminded me a lot of drinking coffee, but at the same time it held on to everything that makes you know it's a beer.

abedenbaugh, Sep 30, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +14%

Poured into tulip glass.
Looked like a glass full of obsidian. It barely let's the light through, shows just a touch of garnet around the edges. Head formed thick but disappeared quickly.
Smelled of black coffee and dark roasted malts.
It tasted exactly as it smelled, only a touch of bitter chocalate was detected. Nothing to complex, just a straight forward beer.
Moves through the mouth quickly. But the flavor lingers.
This is so easy drinking. For someone who drinks coffee black, this is a special treat for me. I had this on tap at the brewery while sloshed, but was impressed enough to take a few home for later.

runningjoke, Jan 15, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

SFTBLMOSS2, Nov 21, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

brendan4532, Jul 29, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

I had this on tap at Pisgah and again at Barley's (and I bought a growler for later.) It is pitch black in color with a long-lasting tan head, and it is full of aroma from freshly dark-roasted coffee beans. If I could rate aroma at a 6.5 on the scale of 1-5, I would.

On each sip, coffee flavors fill the mouth. There is very little hop bitterness, nor is there much in the way of creamy sweetness. It really is the epitome of coffee beer, balanced in such a way that it is a session beer for any coffee lover.

SierraGS, Feb 27, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

what a nice way to start a new year's when you are seriously jet lagged and have some cotton mouth! thanks for the gift Alex it is very kind of you

poured out into my brandy glass (only appropriate glass i could find) and this beer had very little to no head on it at all. yet i loved the appearance it had an oily black look with just a bit of cappucino head trace in it

smelled like an espresso with a dash of maple syrup in it. wow is this going to be a crazy concoction?

way way roasted in the front then coming at you with coffee in the end and some hops to finish it off. just simply delicious and i loved every sip of it

great mouthfeel almost silky but just enough bubbles to keep it from being too sticky.

this got me wired too! glad i had it as i was feeling pretty droopy at the time. :-) happy new year indeed

CapitolCrusher, Jan 01, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

exposur3, Dec 22, 2011
4.19/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Color is mostly black (wouldn’t say pitch black though) and slightly brown. Small off-white head: light brown; tan, and some retention

S: This is all about the coffee with hints of chocolate, caramel, and malt

T: Granted, the coffee presence is pulling some weight here; nonetheless, the induction of chocolate and caramel balances out extremely well. Slight acidity/bitterness from this coffee treat as well.

M: Smooth, creamy, milky, velvety, and has a light/Medium body. The carbonation is on par

O: An extremely fine coffee stout; the sweetness and the tartness were by no means overboard. An excellent example of infusing beer with coffee, and thus definitely one of the better coffee stouts out there; enjoy this in the evening, or at the sound of your morning alarm clock….delicious either way

M-Fox24, Jun 25, 2014
3.85/5  rDev -7%

Reviewing based on notes from a prior tasting.

A - Black with a fair head spoiled by overfilling. Retention is good.

S - Overpowering coffee/espresso. Hard to get much else, although some chocolate and berry appears as it warms.

T - Very similar to iced coffee. Not much else is apparent. The bitterness is well balanced.

M - Carbonation is good, but I like my stouts thicker. This one is a bit thin.

D - Pretty easy to drink for a stout, seems a little light on the ABV for an 'Imperial', aiding the drinkability a bit. The balance aids as well.

This definitely has more 'coffee' to it than most other stouts I have had. This is good, but strikes me as a one trick pony kind of beer. Personally I would prefer a little more complexity.

Sponan, Jun 23, 2008

CWCricket, Jul 03, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +19.6%

Pisgah is extremely hard to find, even when you live less than an hour from the brewery.

I kept hoping to find a bottle of this somewhere, but ended up finding it on tap at Barley's in Asheville.

Served in a pint glass, this was one nice looking beer. A very dark black color with a dark brown head about two fingers thick. The head lasted for a good while, but the best thing was the lacing. This had perhaps the best lacing I have seen leaving a stained glass-like curtain down the entire glass all the way to the last drop.

The smell was of a very nice roasted coffee (it is brewed with coffee from a local roaster) and sweet chocolate. Maybe a bit of nuttiness in there.

The taste was great, very balanced. You could definitely taste the coffee, but it was not like some other RISs that are brewed with coffee where it tastes like a strong coffee served black. There was not much hops, but that was O.K., since I like more roasted flavors from a stout. The bitterness seemed to come from the coffee and roasted malts. I found it really balanced between sweetness and bitterness, like a coffee with a lot of cream and sugar. The sweetness was not cloying and the bitterness not overpowering. Lot's of chocolate as well.

Mouthfeel was pretty normal for a RIS, I would say better than most.

Drinkability is dangerously high. To quote Beerfest: "I want to brush my teeth with it!". I could have spent my whole day in Asheville just drinking this one beer.

Definitely made up for missing Sexual Chocolate! This has been the best RIS I have ever had.

hitokiri, Feb 15, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Kinda light for a stout in appearance. Thin white head. The nose is intense coffee. Starbucks. Hard to believe this is beer. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied at best. Tastes like coffee, with a roasty bitter finish. Fascinating for what it is, but almost difficult to compare against other stouts. Unique for sure.

goryshkewych, Mar 16, 2008
Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.