Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: MuenchenerKindl on 11-24-2007

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz bomber into a tulip.

A: Impenetrably black. Even holding this to the light, this rejects all temptation to give a hint of color. Small half finger tan head recedes quickly.

S: Big coffee dominates. Some chocolate to the nose as well, with toasty malt.

T: Not as powerful on the coffee as the nose would suggest. Lots of chocolate and toasted malt pour through. Sweet mostly, till a nice coffee layer comes in on the finish.

M: Very smooth till swallow where a light dryness comes in with the coffee flavor. Quite nice combination.

D: A very abundantly flavorful stout at such a small ABV%. Finishing the bomber was not a problem. Really enjoyed this stout, though at $9 for the 22oz it is not something I'd get often.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

22oz bottle with no bottled on or freshness date poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/27/11

A: Pours black with dark tan head and moderate retention. The head fades to a collar and leaves some lacing around glass.

S: Smooth freshly roasted coffee up front with dark malt and a hint of chocolate lingering behind the huge coffee aroma. Lots and lots of coffee, if I were to take a blind sniff of this I would definitely think this was a cup of coffee instead of a beer.

T: Bitter roasted coffee dominates the taste with dark malts and some hops and alcohol barely coming through all of the coffee. Long lingering taste of freshly brewed coffee after each sip.

M: Nice medium body with a bit more carbonation than I would really like in a stout.

O: If you want lots of coffee in your stout, this is the beer to go for. Pretty drinkable for a 6.8% ABV brew. Some more body and less carbonation would do wonders for this beer. Still great none the less.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at the brewery. Deep brown in color, tan head. Smells like and espresso or something. From the smell I was expecting some serious coffee flavor when I tasted it. However, it's not as harsh as I thought it would be. Besides some malty sweetness, maybe a little chocolate, it comes off as a bubbly iced coffee. Little to no hop bitterness, but a good amount of coffee bitterness. I enjoyed this one a good bit. Probably would go well with ice cream or something. Don't really get why it's listed here as a imperial stout, but whatever.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

When I opened this thing it let out a loud hiss of carbonation then beer started coming out of the bottle I had to get this into my Pisgah pint glass pronto. Pours black with a light brown head. Smells like COFFEE!!! A big strong cup of java, there are some nice sweet maltiness in there as well, but not much. Taste just like it smells lots and lots of coffee goodness then some nice sweet malts to help balance it out. This one of the more intense coffee brews I've had. If you're looking for coffee then look no further than this one. The carbonation is a little much I like my stouts a little smoother and creamier.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Corked, caged bottle brewed in September 2008, consumed September 2008.

A: Hershey chocolate brown with a thick two finger frothy head the color of wet sand. Sheets of lacing peel down the glass.

S: Yeah, lots of fresh brewed bitter sweet black coffee. Espresso. Bit of chocolate. Almost as if inhaling finely ground coffee beans.

T: Lot of the nose on the taste. Palette is completely flushed with the taste of cold spend coffee and espresso. Coffee taste is raw, and natural, much on the bitter end.

M: Medium bodied with tingly, almost champagne-like carbonation.

D: A quality brew if you appreciate the taste of wet, natural coffee grounds. It could use a bit more sweetness. Overall, one of the lighter stouts you'd find in a corked, caged bottle.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

I am starting to think Pisgah can do no wrong for me. I loved this beer on tap, and had waited to sit down with a bottle to review it. Spot on pour, jet black with a huge 2+ finger, tan head. Decent lacing left from the frothy head receding. The aroma is quite possible the most pungent (but in a very good way) coffee aroma I have ever encountered in a beer. Not quite as robust in flavor (but its not supposed to be I assume, it is not an IS or RIS). The coffee flavor is exceptional, but not quite as strong as the smell would lead one to believe. Some nice malty sweetness helps balance out the bitter coffee flavor. Little light and fizzy in the mouthfeel for my preference in stouts. In the end, a very nice coffee stout. I'd love to see Pisgah take this to the next level and make "Valdez Plus", they are on the right path for sure, just a bit more robust character would complete it for me.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A 6.2% smooth, rich, very coffee forward stout in a can. Awesome beer! New fave coffee stout

C. UGGHH clarity...whats that?
H. Black
N. Coffee

Ok, so I've joked about beers tasting like coffee before...yah I was wrong, nothing I have ever had has tasted this much like coffee. This is an organic beer that uses Dynamite Roasting Coffee Beans, and boy oh boy does the coffee stick out on this beer. Seriously I think Miguel poured this bad boy out of my coffee pot. I like it a lot, and it's a very straight forward coffee stout.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a tulip....Huge thanks to GehenHerzog for this extra.

A- Pours pitch black with a mocha colored head. The thin head creates a film that encompasses the beer's body. Not much carbonation can be seen.

S- Deep roasted espresso bean with some toffee. Roasted malt and chocolate are also at the forefront. There is no debating the dominant robust coffee character that arrest you and never let go.

T- Roasted, sweet coffee beans with a chocolaty finish. Tastes just liken it smells. Small hint of bitterness from the coffee beans. Truly amazing flavor. Just like biting into a premium espresso bean.

M- Creamy and silky smooth. Medium carbonation. Not too thick, not too light. A bit of dryness from the rich coffee notes.

D- This is fantastic drinking. Creamy, smooth delicious coffee. I'll have no problem finishing off this bomber. I just wish I had access to more.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Pisgah 3/13/09

Being a huge fan of Founders BS I was looking forward to this. It pours with a nice 1" head and is pitch black. Smell is all coffee all the time and I like it! Taste is a very nice coffee roasted malt taste and is perfectly balanced. Mouthfeel is very good and a little dry, it's a fairly drinkable IS and I happily finished a 22oz bottle in about an hour sipping it after it warmed a bit.

Pisgah has proven again they are a SOLID brewery!

This is the second time I've had this beer. The first time was out of a two week old growler and THAT was awesome.

This sample exhibited more head...three fingers worth. Slow to subside, it eventually came down to a creamy coffee film with some mild lacing down the glass.

Smell was very definitely java but I also get a good dose of cocoa out of this. Very enticing.

Taste was more coffee and dark chocolate along with some vanilla and wood.

Mouthfeel starts out a little prickly but as the beer warms and mellows, it mellows to a creaminess that isn't initially expected.

Drinkability is very nice as as this beer is not too big. It's a very enjoyable 750ml of jo.

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%

So for my 50th review and since I'm celebrating my last day working at the shithole I work at, I let my girlfriend pull any beer out of my cellar to split with me. She came up the steps with this bottle. Bitch may be a keeper after all. Bottle courtesy of akorsak. Thanks Adam.

A.Poured pitch black with a fluffy brown head.

S. Smells like liquid sex... Huge burnt coffee and dark chocolate notes to this one. If you got a coffee maker, brew up a pot leave about 2-3 inches of coffee in the pot, turn the warmer on and leave it there for 8 hours. that's what this smells like.

T. taste holds true to the smell. burnt coffee and dark chocolate bitterness. Bitterness takes this over as it warms and alcohol makes a slight presence. One tasty fucking beer.

M. Mouthfeel slacks a little. maybe a little too much carbonation and a little too thin. the only thing I feel this beer lacked.

D. Drinks like a champ if you can handle a little bitterness. I kind of wanted to grab a Rocky Patel 92 Robusto out of the humidor, sit on the porch and live the good life for an hour sipping this.

Overall this is a great beer to seek out at least once. Would love to get one or two more for the cellar

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

I received a growler of this beer in the "February Growling at the Moon" exchange from mikesgroove. This was my first month in the exchange and all I can say is I hope every month's beer is this good, but it will certainly be hard to top!!

A - Dark brown to black. When held to the light....nothing at all shines through. There was not much head even after an aggressive pour. I'm assuming it may be because it is from the growler that was a few days old. The small head that did form lasted a very short period and there really was not much lacing as I drank.

S - Since I'm a coffee lover the smell was fantastic. There is not much else to the smell besides coffee, but again it was great to me.

T - Coffee through and through. As an earlier review mentioned, it was like a thick cup of coffee. I almost couldn't tell that it was a beer.

M - It was smooth, creamy, and full but not too full or syrupy. Carbonation just tickled tongue enough - that's what made me remember it was beer not coffee.

D - I cannot begin to explain how much I loved this beer. I could drink it in the morning (which I did since I had a snow day today), or drink at night (which I did immediately after I received it), or drink it all day long (I can only hope I can do that sometime down the road).

As others have mentioned I am a coffee lover too. Just a warning if you are not a coffee lover this beer may not be for you. Overall it is just a well crafted beer.

This is the first offering I had from Pisgah. I can only hope I can get my hands on some more of their stuff, along with more of the Valdez!! Thanks again for spreading the Pisgah love mikesgroove.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown/ black with a nice milk chocolate colored head that fades to a little ring that leaves marks down the glass at each level.
Smell is alot of mild coffee notes. Small hops bite behind the coffee, and some toffee and earthy tones.
Taste at first is all coffee. As it warms the other tastes become more apparent to me. Unsweetened chocolate, caramel roasted malts, and a hops bite that hides behind what you think is coffee bitterness.
Mouthfeel is great. This is supposed to be closer to 7.2 than 6.8, but either way it hides the alcohol almost completely for me. The caffeine makes it even more deceptively drinkable.
Overall one of the best offerings from a great brewery. There is a reason this beer is so popular among BAs, and this batch is no different. I'll review one of the bottles later.

Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.