Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

2008 vintage poured from 750ml bottle. Poured pitch black with a thick two inch bubbly head. The head settled but kept a nice layer covering the top of the beer. Some decent lacing was also left on the glass as I drank it.

There is definitely a strong bitter coffee flavor to the aroma followed by a good amount of milk chocolate. Kind of has a mixture of chocolate milk, coffee and roastedness thing going on.

The taste is also strong with bitter coffee. It has less of the milk chocolate flavor found in the nose and more of the roasted bitterness. This is definitely one of the stronger coffee flavored beers I've had. It's a good flavor but the coffee seems to overpower a little. Some of the coffee beers I've rated higher just seemed to blend the beer flavors with the coffee better. If you like coffee though you will most likely like this a lot.

Mouthfeel is on the thicker side with moderate carbonation. Could have used a little less carbonation for my tastes. Drinkability is good, the coffee is strong for sure but it's a pretty nice coffee stout.

billab914, Apr 22, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

There's nothing quite like an Imperial Stout on a 65 degree day in Carlsbad under a 90 degree heat lamp. It's a strange experience, but I wouldn't recommend it. I felt as though my life's blood was being drained from my body, one ounce at a time. Thankfully I had this Pisgah beer to sustain me or I fear I might not have made it. Thanks a lot to Mike for my first Pisgah beer. To be perfectly honest, I've never traded for a beer from this brewery because the name of the brewery has subconsciously irritated me. I'm happy to finally try it though.

Pours nearly black with a one inch, light brown head. The head has good retention and leaves a smattering of lacing as it recedes.

The aroma is dominated by dark chocolate and coffee with some cocoa. It smells quite nice. A low level of alcohol is noticeable. The taste is much like the aroma, centered on dark chocolate and coffee. Though I'm not an avid fan of coffee dominated stouts, this is quite good. There's a medium level of bitterness to the beer, but the hops have really no say in the rich flavor. No alcohol is noticeable, and considering the low percentage (imperial stout?) it's not surprising.

Full bodied with a nice level of carbonation.

HopHead84, May 02, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8%

Big thanks to grub for opening his growler of this on DLD!

Pours a dark opaque brown, almost black, some red, thick medium brown head forms, decent lacing. Smell is coffee, oats, caramel, some chocolate, more coffee, biscuity bread coffee elixir. Taste is similar, tons of coffee and chocolate, coffee roast, big malty middle, grains and oats, big coffee finish, very smooth and very drinkable, no rough edges on this guy. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation, goes down easy. Probably the last coherent review I'll get from that evening, fantastic use of coffee in this one. Thanks Russ!

Viggo, Jun 07, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

rolltide8425, Jun 29, 2014
3.6/5  rDev -13%

Got this one recently from mikesgroove. Thanks!
Pretty much black, can't see through it even held up to the light. Longlasting, creamy brown cap. Lots of sticky lacing. Looks great! Tons of roast and coffee in the aroma, along with notes of toffee, lots of malt, and faint grassy hops. Moderate hop bitterness with some grassy, spicy presence. Fairly sweet, a little fruity up front, roast and coffee throughout. Dry cocoa. A little more than medium bodied with decent carbonation, mild alcohol warmth, and very dry. Pretty good overall. A little too dry, but still tasty.

DrJay, Nov 02, 2008

atrocity, Apr 29, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC - if I were smarter I would've picked up more than one.

Pours pitch black with a two-finger dark tan head. The head recedes into a thin pancake on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of creamy roasted coffee with hints of roasted malts in the background. A smell of things to come.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though a bit more complex. Roasted coffee flavors kick things off, with roasted malts coming in shortly. Near the end of the sip there's a good deal of dark chocolate that appears right before the mildly bitter, mildly dry ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a very nice thickness with mild carbonation that makes this go down very smoothly.

Drinkability is good. I could have finished this a lot quicker but I've been forcing myself to slow down and smell the malts.

Overall this is a very well done coffee stout that's definitely worth a shot.

glid02, Mar 16, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a Pisgah bomber, in my possession since DLD this year, capped not corked. The label shows it's organic which doesn't really matter to me at all. The beer was dark brown chocolate color with a thick off-white foam that lasted forever. I figured the coffee aroma/taste would be lost in this old bottle but it came through nicely. The java smell is actually complementary to some malts that are more sweet than roasted in character, together the malts and coffee come off very close to Founders Breakfast Stout. Same with the taste, I found this to taste a bit like an aged FBS (which is a good thing, I've had some old FBS that was better than the new stuff). The body is on the thick side which suits the style, overall a very fine coffee stout that I'd love to get again.

TurdFurgison, Nov 07, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -23.9%

Consumed a few times in the past 2 weeks, both on-tap and bottled

Classification as a Double Stout is quite misleading. The bottled version is over-carbonated and may be confused as *gasp* infected. It just isn't right - fruity and tangy with a metallic finish. On-draft, its an iced coffee overload and is really a nice beer. Unfortunately, the most recent bottling doesn't translate and I was really quite embarrassed to open this for people not familiar with Pisgah.

dirtylou, Jan 06, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bottle poured into snifter - big thanks to CarolinaKevin for this

Pours an opaque black color with a froth of heavily tanned head. Some cloudy retention and a few spots of lacing left behind.

Wonderful scents of coffee beans and roasted warmth. Tones of dark malts, chocolate, and nuttiness. Practically no alcohol scent, a light touch of hops.

Eruption of roasted bean coffee flavor right up front. Nutty and sweet with chocolate and a light touch of molasses. Faint hint of caramel and vanilla as well. Layers of dark malts with roasted warmth. Faint hoppiness towards the finish with more coffee flavor.

Fuller body, higher carbonation, pretty smooth but prickly on the tongue. Really delicious coffee profile on this one, both in the nose and flavor - I'd definitely drink this again.

xnicknj, Oct 11, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle provided by Nate, drank from my Hill Farmstead glass... Dark brown with a nice light tan head, good retention and lacing... The aroma is tons of fresh coffee, has the Intelligentsia of HBI... The taste is equally nice, good light coffee but its fresh. Super easy to drink.

jrallen34, Feb 13, 2011

bsuedekum, Feb 18, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Had during an afternoon ticking session at Pisgah! Served from tap into a sampler imperial pint. Poured a massively dark brown (basically black) with a half finger khaki-colored head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and coffee. The flavor was of sweet malt, coffee, and earth. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. Three words though: HOLY CHRIST COFFEE! In all honesty, I don't drink coffee but if I were to start I would use this as a gateway for sure as I'm sure it would work. I would plan to share this one with coffee drinking friends as a gateway for them into craft beer. Still quite nice, but the coffee most definitely covered up a lot of the subtlies that were probably present in this brew.

thagr81us, May 04, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Thank you, Mike, for a hand-delivered treat! January 2009 bottling

A: We have a rather massive gusher, resulting in a black beer with an overwhelmingly large dark brown head. Retention isn't all that hot, but this beer looks good allasame

S: Coffee. Freshly brewed, mellow and complex. Cold pressed? Some chocolate is present in the back, lending a decadent note to this beer. Pleasant roastiness. Quite awesome, really. As pronounced as the coffee is, there's enough going on behind it to keep this beer interesting.

T: Tastes like coffee. Just pure coffee. I usually dislike one-dimensional beers but this is one crazy good cuppa. Beautiful medium roast coffee with a little bit of chocolate. As a stout, this isn't all that great, but as a beer? Great. Finishes dry, long and bitter

M: Light with soft carbonation and a finish that's brilliant, this one's awesome. The pure coffee bitterness is netherworldly

D: This bomber is going in about 20 minutes, which isn't a great sign for me.

DefenCorps, Mar 20, 2009

ZEB89, Dec 27, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to chawk for hooking this one up. Served at our Night of Fedor tasting with the Chicago Crew.

A - Black beer with a brown head. Decent lacing, pretty nice looking brew.

S - Rich coffee on this, very strong aroma profile for a something that is less than 7% abv. Good roasted note with a little bit of burnt cocoa.

T - Roasted malts, awesome coffee profile. This is really how a coffee beer should be done. Great bitterness combined with a sweetness from the burnt cocoa. Great beer all around.

M - Full bodied, nice dose of carbonation for the style.

D - So good, could drink tons of it. Would love to have this beer again and highly recommend it to others.

AgentZero, Mar 02, 2011

Comes out of the tap a deep, opaque sable barely a kitten whisker above solid black with a fine-bubbled tan head. Rich, smoky aroma has strong chocolate and quality coffee tones and screams DRINK ME!!! to anybody who appreciates good stouts. Flavor is strongly like high-quality roast coffee with tones of unsweet chocolate, caramel and burnt wood plus a hint of molasses. Full-bodied texture has a strong, persistent tingle and leaves a smoky mocha finish. A must!!!

Cyberkedi, Dec 28, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

KevinGordon, Feb 11, 2013

WOLFGANG, Jul 22, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

I received this bottle in a huge in person trade with thagr81us down in SC in September. Thanks for hitting this want Calton!

This beer pours a dark chocolate brown I color with a one finger beige head. It poured medium in body. The aromas are rich of fresh coffee grounds and bitter chocolate. The nose is actually quite similar to that of Founders Breakfast Stout. The flavors too, pretty similar to FBS. the coffee and chocolate are both there Ina knock you upside the head type of manner. This beer just isn't nearly as smooth or full in body as FBS but the flavor is very close. I'm taken aback by this one. It's a phenomenal coffee stout and definitely worth trying. This is definitely a beer to seek out.

aasher, Jan 11, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Pours dark, dark brown out of the bottle and settles pitch black in the glass with a massive three-finger tan head that shows great retention and lacing.

S: Coffee, coffee and more coffee. There is more than a hint of dark roasted malts underlying the coffee but the aroma of freshly ground coffee steals the shows in the this one.

T: The taste is also big on the coffee, but with a very slight bitterness in the finish. The dark malts are more evident than in the aroma, but the sweet roasted coffee shine through again. If you like coffee, you'll love this stuff.

M: Creamy and medium bodied mouthfeel with tons of carbonation that just leaves your mouth tingling with that cup-of-joe taste throughout.

D: If reviewing this beer as a imperial stout, it may be the most drinkable I've ever had in the style. I tend to think of it more of a stout and a half instead of a double, but it's damn fine stuff either way. Highly recommended!

gford217, Sep 14, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +7%

I feel like I am in a fish tank.

Yes...A fish tank.

I've been working myself to death, and classes at Berkeley arent making my life any easier.

and than, out of nowhere...my ears starts sucking air like a vacuum, and I can barely hear anything...Yes, sometimes life sucks like that.

However, kkiple, being the gentleman that he is, had sent me a box of beer as part of a trade, and after hastily making my dinner of hand carved ham, 21 spice salute, stoun ground mustard, and artisan chedder on rye...I washed it down with a BLENHEIM Ole # 5 Ginger Ale and had a shower.

and now...I'm drinking this fine brew.

The 750ml labelled, corked, and caged, brown glass bottle is a nice presentation...and I like the fact that Pisghas brews are all organic.

A: Dark cola brown/block with a big yet loose head of tannish/off-white foam. Big bubbles fade quickly and leave small rings and lines of lace.

S: Coffee. Literally, just coffee. With a bit of cream and two raw sugars. Just like I get every morning at Poggio Trattoria in Sausalito before climing the steep hill of steps up to my office in the hillside of Casa Madrona.

T: The taste is coffee. With one or two raw/golden sugar packets and maybe just a tiny bit of cream. Chocolate, and roasted malts are in the background...and their may be some hops somewhere too, cowering behind the massive explosion of espresso grinds.

M: Very sprizty, and carbonated but still filling in the mouth. Pretty nice, but not as thick or full as my actual coffee.

D: Drinkability is good. I can probably have 2 or 3 of these bottles, just like my coffee...It's cool they turned MY morning coffee into a beer

O: Good stuff. Thanks need to go out to both kkipple for sending this to me and Pisgah for making MY morning coffee into a beer for everyone...cheers.

francisweizen, Oct 07, 2008

popery, Mar 01, 2013

AngusOg, Nov 29, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

BMart, Sep 29, 2014
Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.