2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pisgah Roasted Chocolate Stout - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah Roasted Chocolate Stout
No picture uploaded.

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 03-07-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 10 | Reviews: 5 | Show All Ratings:
FridayDave

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Carolina Cinema, nitro no less. Didn't expect a perfect pour here from the one who sells tickets and popcorn but not bad about a half inch of light creamy foam that lasted. The smell is so much more coffee than chocolate if there was any chocolate at all probably from the roasting. The taste was all coffee, I tried to find chocolate but sip after sip I couldn't. The feel is all I expect from a stout perhaps a bit watery but above average. Overall, would I have another? Most definitely and I did.

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-12-2013 23:05:23 | More by FridayDave
chinchill

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Pint served at the brewery. Served a bit colder than optimum, as flavor improved with warming.

Pours black, or nearly so, with a dark tan head.

T: [3.75] A surprising amount of coffee flavor here, perhaps equaling the dark chocolate component. Lingering flavor of very dark malt and bitter chocolate with hint of expresso.

S: The balance may be more slanted towards the dark chocolate in the nose, but the aroma carries mainly dark roasted grains. Regardless of this, rather disappointing aroma given my high expectations.

M: full body; medium carbonation.very smooth and rather creamy.

O: Rich stout with plenty of dark chocolate. Different but not really better than Pisgah's regular stout, especially with the nitro tap, and for coffee lovers, not up with their excellent Valdez stout.

10-02-2012 01:28:54 | More by chinchill
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

Had this awhile ago from some kind soul at the Brick Store Pub who offered me a glass from the growler he was sharing. I've been a fan of Pisgah for quite awhile, and I had high expectations for this beer. I'm a fan of their Valdez, and I know they can handle those roasty flavors nicely. I thought this was quite nice. Pours black with a dark head. Smells dry and very roasty, but I don't get specific chocolate notes, just a dark roast. The taste, however, serves up plenty of chocolate with plenty of dry cocoa flavors, almost dusty as if it had been dutched, followed by some coffee notes with more deep roastiness. In the mouth it's quite bracing, but somewhat silky, and just as enjoyable as a very well made mocha. I enjoyed this quite a bit.

Serving type: growler

09-02-2011 03:32:15 | More by Georgiabeer
thagr81us

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Had during an afternoon ticking session at Pisgah! Served from tap into a sampler imperial pint. Poured basically black with a one finger tan head that subsided to a half finger very slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, and dark chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, milk chocolate, and earth. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a pretty nice brew. Pretty good flavor and aroma going on in this one. The chocolate as advertised definitely makes it presence known. You need to get this on your palate if you have not. Trust me, you won't regret it!

05-04-2011 12:23:51 | More by thagr81us
mikesgroove

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Another new one, one of Dave's last creations for the time being, I was thrilled to see this one still on tap when I went by. Served in a pint glass, this one was consumed on

Huge pour here, literally dark as night with a towering three inch head of dark brown foam that clung to everything around it with a ferocity seldom seen in lighter ABV stouts. Enormous aroma of roasted malts, nice milk chocolate and hints of coffee notes are abound here. Really very full and rich aroma that was extremely pleasing no matter how you look at it. As I take the first sip I was blown away by how full this was. It carried a near chewy consistency and a rich, velvet like presence across the palate. Really a fine example of the style and I was just getting warmed up by it. Rich roasted chocolate, hints of coffee and a sweet, caramel and vanilla touch just all roll together so perfectly it was darn near scary. Sweet, silky, and creamy, rich, filling, perfectly session able, not sure what more one could ask for!

Overall one of my new favorites from the boys, just a near perfect example of a sweet milk stout.

03-07-2010 01:15:23 | More by mikesgroove
Pisgah Roasted Chocolate Stout from Pisgah Brewing Co.