Apple Jaxx - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Apple Jaxx
No picture uploaded.

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: blackie on 08-03-2010)

tclapper, Dec 03, 2011

seems something of a strong golden base, brewed with Belgian yeast, locally sourced apple cider, and honey

a: shaker pint, deep golden in color, topped with a light coating of carbonation

s: pale malt body with a top layer of fresh apple, not sure if spiced cider was employed here but I don't get much of the pie type spices, though some yeasty zest does pull through, very much a dry apple juice aroma with a supporting note of pale barley

m: carbonation a touch spritzy, moderate in level, and light-medium bodied

t: equal parts pale malts with apple juice here, blurring the line between hard cider and beer, nice spicy yeast profile, dry for the most part and very lightly hopped with only some light grassy flavors, and the honey apparently fermented out as it's tough to pull out any such flavors, finishes cleanly

d: no problem considering the content of this one, the pint was gone in no time but two servings would do a number on most, my second favorite apple beer - this one taking the dry side and doing it well

a nice stop on the way out of WNC revealed another nice creation from Pisgah, enjoyed on the sunny patio

blackie, Aug 03, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

reviewed from notes from my trip to the brewery a few months ago. served straight from the wall into my pint glass, this one hurt me bad.

the pour was a nice light golden color with a deep cloudiness and haze to it that seemed to settle out by the end of the session. but the aroma was where it was at. deep belgian yeast with hints of apricot and pears, light bready notes piled on top of the most wonderful sour apple note i have come across. i mean this was just intense as could be. warming made it turn into a green jolly rancher like flavor that simply had me floored. smooth, with the abv no where near present an basically unheard of here as each sip was light, clean and full of wonderfull flavors and smooth, delicate sour notes that led to a great dry finish.

overall i wish that they had bottled this it would have made a killing!

mikesgroove, Apr 29, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

A: pint on tap @ the brewery, gold in color, with a frothy 1/2" of head on top. Lacing makes it's way down the glass.

S :to simplify all I come back with is Solstice with a light aroma of sour apples. Something tart....I'd go Granny smith, but with all the good apples in WNC I doubt thats the case.

T : A nice belgian taste with some apple on the background. Refreshing for the ABV. Not cloying in the least. Given the name I'm searching for cinnamon, but maybe the yeast overwhelmed it.

D: this beer is no joke. it goes down way to smooth given the ABV.

Another winner for the boys at Pisgah. If Solstice is the base, it proves there is room for more goodness. Come on guys let's creep out of buncombe county.

ahatcher78, Oct 06, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Had during an afternoon ticking session at Pisgah! Served from tap into a sampler imperial pint. Poured yellow-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, sour apple, and caramel. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, sour apple, and bread. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this brew is quite excellent! I have been wanting to try this beer for so long but I never see it on tap ANYWHERE. Wish I would have brought more cash with me otherwise I would have left with a few growlers of this one! I really couldn't believe that I just had a good sour style beer out of the Asheville area! Great flavor and aroma going on in this one. 10.5%!?!?!? Holy Christ! I could get in A LOT of trouble with this one as there is no taste of alcohol at all going on in this one. By far my favorite tick of the day and well worth going to Pisgah just for it in my opinion.

thagr81us, May 04, 2011

Let me preface this by saying that the glass I had of this was poured straight from the fermenting tank after a tour- I'm calling it a cask pour.

It pours hazy gold with white head and good lacing.

The smell is granny smith apples, sour patch kids, and funk.

The taste is sour apples, unripened fruit, lemon-lime, and a little barnyard to finish.

Medium body, decent carb for a fermenter pour.

This beats any of the RR sours I've had, hands down. Drink it on the warm side of 55 degrees.

Netdigger2, Jan 06, 2012
Apple Jaxx from Pisgah Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.