Birra Moretti - Birra Moretti (Heineken)

Birra MorettiBirra Moretti

poor

Birra Moretti (Heineken) visit their website
Italy

Euro Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Birra Moretti Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev -24.1%

this beer fell far short of my expectations. not as much color, smell, taste, body as i like...hmm what else. it is not a bad beer but way too watered down for me. carbonation was ok but the head disappeared quickly. no lace.

there are certainly better euro beers available.

dont write home about it.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.27/5  rDev +12.8%

Slightly cloudy pale straw color; thin head and spotty lacing; looks unappetizing.

Grainy malt with dry yeasty scents.

Raw malt flavor that is fairly dry throughout, finishing slightly drier; not bad.

Somewhat of a hard steely mouthfeel; stinging bubbles.

One of the better (less macro-skunk flavored) tasting and drinking Euro Pale Lagers in my flight.

3.35/5  rDev +15.5%

Got this one when my wife bought a 12 pack of beers around the world. We have pizza tonight, so makes sense I think.

Poured out pale, yellow straw colored with pretty good lacing. Not a great head but ok.
Smell is surprisingly hoppy for this class. Definitely floral, orange peel, very slight skunky.
Taste is surprisingly bitter but well balanced. There is a diacetyl undertone but this thing is way more complex than I expected. I was expecting macro lager suckiness based on the color and price and I was impressed.
Mouthfeel is thin as expected.
Drinkability: I would drink this as an alternative to the normal macro lager. This is a really good beer for price. I wouldn't chase it but I wouldn't run from it either.

2.73/5  rDev -5.9%

From Claro's Italian market, on to the beer:

Not a whole lot to say about this one. It looks good in my stange glass, smells and tastes like a pale lager, but it was rather watery feeling. You could drink it like water if you wanted to, but why would you? I imagine it's better with food than as an after dinner drink.

2.68/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a clear pale yellow with a fairly sticky head with pretty good retention. Leaves a little bit of lacing.

The smell is really nothing to write home about -- faint malts and what seems like adjuncts. The taste is the epitome of average -- again some very faint maltiness and fruitiness with a more bitter finish than in your typical American macro. Not particularly balanced, and the bitterness isn't the savory type where you want another gulp as with even a standard AIPA.

In terms of mouthfeel -- thin and fizzy, like a seltzer. Not enjoyable enough to want to drink a lot of these, but it'll do if it's around, I guess, the way a paper towel will have to suffice if you're out of toilet paper.

Certainly preferable to a Bud or a Coors, but really nothing notable or memorable about this one. Standard European macro.

2.6/5  rDev -10.3%

Well this is a beer I was not expecting much and my wishes came rue. Pale straw yellow color. A very slight malty sweetness in smell. Taste, light malt flavor, very light citrusy flavor, light hopiness. Thin mouthfeel. Overall it is not impressive. If I were to compare to any BMC I would say it's a lot better than what we can produce, and if BMC wants to make a good dull beer, this would be it. A nice lawnmower beer and that's about it.

2.6/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a very clear, light yellow. LIttle carbonation seen rising. Large white head that has decent lasting power. Not a bad start for the style.

Aroma is sweet, adjuncts. Can't get much else out of it.

Taste is adjuncts, light hops, light malts, light taste....you get the idea.

Mouthfeel is light. Lifeless.

Overall, a beer that is lacking in any depth or character.

2.83/5  rDev -2.4%

Very clear, pale yellow appearance with a big white head that lasted a fairly long time leaving a fine lace behind. Seems very carbonated.

Nothing too distinct in the smells. Unfortunately it smells like a macro brew.

Very light taste. I mean, very. Little bitter but mild and smooth.

Very thin, watery mouthfeel with less carbonation than I though it would have.

Average beer. I enjoy the Rossa more and need to find the non-Heineken version of this beer to see if it's better.

2.87/5  rDev -1%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear pale hay color with a thin white head.

Very light barley malt and aroma. Twangy malt flavors with not much else. Watery, thin bodied, and fizzy. The finish is clean with a little bit of lingering grain.

This is a pretty uninspiring beer. Within its style, it's fine, but I just can't get behind this beer.

3.2/5  rDev +10.3%

I could be wrong, but Birra Moretti might be the first Italian beer I've ever had. The beer poured a pale yellow with visable bubbles. The aroma was clean but non distinct. It had a transparent, deep golden hue with a thin white head and moderate lacing. Full, smooth mouthfeel, well malted flavor. Compares well with many classic German lagers."

2.88/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this at a local Italian joint; they also had the superior La Rossa dopplebock, but I hadn’t had this one yet. This is definitely the Heineken version; it says it right on the bottle.

Into a small glass, it’s bright golden clear with a few bubbles coming up beneath a one-finger head of whitish foam. Quick fade down to a ring and scattered cap with spotty lace—decent looking lager. Nose is of citrus malt and a bit of not-unpleasant mustiness I can’t place. Taste of malty citrus and middle-of-the-road hops. Light bitter finish. Medium body leaning toward the thin side, crisp and smooth with moderate amounts of gentle carbonation. Decent drinkability; this is an unassuming beer that doesn’t offend, but by the same token, there’s nothing to bring me back for more.

Overall: A fairly decent if unremarkable Euro lager.

2.85/5  rDev -1.7%

03/10/07- Received as a gift from visiting friends.

Presentation- 12oz bottled brew with no freshness info. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Light golden in color. 3/4 inch head which fades most of the way rather quickly. No lace left on the glass.

Smell- Somewhat grainy and corny combined. Smells like a common BMC product.

Taste- Not really noticing the corn as much as the grain. Strong grain taste with a sugary background. Not really any hops detected. Not really offensive, but not really good either.

Mouthfeel- Seems rather light in the mouth with a medium to higher level of carbonation.

Drinkability- Ehh, just another macro-esque brew. Not horrible, but no reason to revisit again. I feel sorry if this is Italys go to brew.

2.45/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a very light crystal clear straw color. I can actually see my fingerprint on the other side of the glass through the beer. There's a little white fluffy head that fades away pretty quickly. The smell is slightly yeasty and not much else. Tastes fairly clean with some slight hop character, but very little. I can't taste any malt at all, it must be made with a lot of adjuncts. Finishes cleanly. Mouthfeel is bubbly and a little creamy, not bad. Overall, it's fairly drinkable cause there's not much there to object to. Other than that, it's a standard macro with little flavor.

2.18/5  rDev -24.8%

The cool old dude with the killer moustash and the frosty mug on the label has always intrigued me so...

Average looking lager, some retention and lacing which may turn out better if I'd let the beer warm a bit more. Smells of grainy malt and slightly of cooked veggies. First swig did not make a good impression. Maybe the old guy is spitting into his mug? Bland except for a harsh mineral water aftertaste. Mouthfeel noted a touch a creaminess, but can't get over how blah this lager is. At $12.99/sixer I'll be taking a pass on this one.

2.43/5  rDev -16.2%

Medium-light yellow with a very small, white, frothy, quickly-diminishing head. Smells of that typical euro graininess with that typical euro stink. Grain and straw. Tastes like all the characteristics of Heineken I don’t like, magnified. It has a thin body, watery texture and low carbonation. Overall, there’s no reason to ever pay this much for a cheaply made import.

3.26/5  rDev +12.4%

My loving wife brought me back a 750 ml bottle of this from her trip to Italy. The bottle sports an October 2007 freshness date. Pours a crisp, clear yellow with a thin white head. Very little intention. Pretty basic beer - clean taste, malty center, little bit of a hoppy aftertaste. Slightly watery mouthfeel. Although not exceptional, this beer is definitely a step up from a vast majority of American macro lagers. Very easily drinkable, not too complex, but goes down well.

3.24/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a pale yellow, with a thin white head. Not much retention, but good lacing. Nice bottle. Smell is weak,and bready,with maybe some faint hops.Body is thin,and carbionated. Taste is typical macro. Grainy, with a slightly bitter finish. I would take it over a Bud.

2.88/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured a light straw, forming a very thin head that faded quickly, leaving very light lacing on the glass. The aroma is slightly skunky, with a little hop citrus notes. The taste is light hops, a little grain flavor, and water. Mouthfeel is very light and thin. Overall, this tastes like a cross between St Pauli Girl, and Bud Light. Not horrible, but I could NOT make a session out of this one.

I tried this beer recently at a new Italian place that my girlfriend and I discovered. Not a bad beer but not great either. Pretty standard and I actually remember thinking that it reminded me of Heineken. I didnt realize until I looked it up on here that it was made by them.

When poured, there wasnt much head retention and the color was a pale yellow. Flavor was slightly skunky but not as strong as a Heineken.

Overall, not a bad beer but rather expensive. I guess the restaurant felt they could charge more for the "authentic italian beer" If not for the price, I might drink it again but its not worth paying more for an average, if not slightly under-average beer.

I would recommend the Moretti Amber. Much more flavor and an overall better beer.

2.53/5  rDev -12.8%

Found this beer on tap at an Italian restaurant. I had no idea what it was going in, but was hoping it wasn't a Euro macro. Unfortunately, it was. The beer poured a fairly standard golden yellow, with a nice white head, but no lacing. Aroma was faint, with hints of fruit and bread. Nothing special.

The taste wasn't anything to write home about either. Typical Euro Pale fare, with a cereal/grain flavor dominating, a bitter/skunky finish, and little hop or malt character in between. It tasted almost exactly like a Foster's, for my money. The one thing I did enjoy was the mouthfeel. It wasn't overly carbonated, but smooth, and fairly full-bodied. That was unexpected. Would I have another? No thanks.

2.6/5  rDev -10.3%

looks fine, smells fine -- both standard macro lager fare. taste was okay, weak malt profile, slight hops, maybe a hint of grapes -- until it warmed a bit. then it tasted very stale. very high level of carbonation made tasting the beer a struggle. wouldn't turn it down if it were the only thing offered, but i would definitely not purposely have this again.

2.73/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale golden yellow with a 2 finger head that dissipates quickly. Not much to smell. Not much to taste, some hops, all very mild and thin in the mouth. Maybe okay on a hot summer day; you could throw down a few of these to quench your thirst. Only my second Italian beer.

1.45/5  rDev -50%

A - Looks like any light lager. Pale yellow iwth bits of fizz clining to the edge of the glass. Not even a real collar. The bottle is pretty cool though.

S- Smels like....nothing really. The tiniest hint of sharp hops.

T - Tastes like a weak cheapo lager. Acrid and overly bitter.

M - Light and carbonated. Very refreshing and cleansing.

D - Suffers from the bitterness and musky rot-gut taste. I will never drink this again.

2.88/5  rDev -0.7%

I had a couple of bottles of Birra Moretti in the fridge for several weeks. We are having spaghetti tonight, so what better time to break out the Italian lager? I poured this beer into a pilsner glass.

Pours a pale yellow/gold color and is clear. A foamy one-finger head forms and dissipates quickly. There is some lacing on the side of the glass. There are many bubbles rising through the beer.

The smell is floral and perfume-like.

The taste is in keeping with the style. Smooth, a grain or cereal flavor, a little hop finish, and just a bit of skunk.

Mouthfeel is light and clean.

This beer is drinkable, but average. I prefer an American lager to a Euro anyway, but I think there are probably better Euro lagers as well.

2.52/5  rDev -13.1%

A brown 660ml bottle, imported into the UK and sold in many supermarkets.

Looked good, as I poured some into a bolleke, very pale, even for a European lager, bubbly and bright. The head didn't stay long.

Smells of water, clean water, but still water.

A typical supermarket lager in taste, slightly dry, but refreshing in my eyes.

No real mouthfeel, this has not impressed me at all. On a warm, sunny day in Italy, it may taste different, but on a cold November night in England, it has scored very poorly.

Birra Moretti from Birra Moretti (Heineken)