Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto - Birra Moretti (Heineken)

Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio MaltoMoretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto

good

Birra Moretti (Heineken) visit their website
Italy

Doppelbock |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +19%

Avoided this for some time because I assumed (I know) it was another Italian lager. Pays to read the labels, huh? Pours a gorgeous reddish brown with a small head that dropped to a lasting film and left spotty lace. Smell is sweet, malty, nutty, grass, a little earthy. Taste is just a continuation of the smell with all of the same plus light hops and a light alcohol presence. Mouthfeel is smooth, chewy, a light effervescence and slight warming in the back of the mouth and throat. Drinkability: "thank you sir, may I have another?. " A damned fine brew, world class.

PorterLambic, Jan 11, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +19%

Pours a brownish amber hue with a white head. Tastes great I am surprised at how much I like this stuff. Great rich malty taste, caramel, toffee, a little bit of coffee tones. An underrated beer if I have ever tried one. I would recommend this to anybody who likes doppelbocks

jtw5877, Dec 24, 2002
4.28/5  rDev +17.6%

Fans of Ommegang and Ommegang's Rare Vos should try this beer. It has a similar cherry wood and maple-syrup flavor profile that is also similarly smooth textured and dry.

Redwood red.

A shy nose of cherry wood and bacon lead into succulent flavors of strawberry, bavarian cream and white egg cake...plus burnt, drizzled hard sugar.
The bitterness is an enigma. It lurches from side to side as I attempt to seize it for closer scrutiny. It is both integrated and agile.
Tootsie roll-chewy tannins, assertive, keep this delightful confection from assuming the sluggishness its girth might otherwise impose. Excellent.

putnam, Aug 12, 2003

GreggT, Dec 14, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a very clear dark copper with a very pretty 2 inch off white head- very small bubbles. Quite attractive.

Aroma is a malty wonderland... slightly sweet, bready and light nutty spices (?) (I can't quite place it, but that's the best description I can give). Flavor follows through very nicely- sweet, but not cloying, bready, but interesting rich bread, not white bread, slight offset from hops and yeast, incredibly well balanced. I really like this one.

Mouthfeel is rich and quite pleasant.

I've read about this beer before (Michael Jackson calls it the perfect beer for pizza), and have had it on many occasions, and really do enjoy it. One of the few Italian beers that I like (not that I've had that many).

Dukeofearl, Jun 22, 2005

ffshore545, Jul 06, 2014

Fat_Guy_Likes_Beer, Sep 20, 2013

Wobbly, Apr 26, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

Wow, what a head on this baby, over two inches high after a vigorous pour into the glass. Color is a deep amber and the mile high head was a frothy tannish, light brown. Looks scrumptous, I couldn't wait to drink this. Smells of roasty sweet malt and fresh, sweet bread, a bit faint spice note. Taste of this is pretty good, sweet roastyness, malty toffee, fresh and smooth, very full-bodied feel that has a light chewyness and finishes slightly dry with a hint of spice. Very nice indeed. The head had a life on its own for the first few minutes and the taste and feel is darn right perfect. I thought Italy was known for its wine, but this beer changed my mind about that cultural fact.

tavernjef, Apr 02, 2003

clausr, Sep 29, 2014

Dapperticus, Feb 01, 2013

aschdave, Dec 09, 2013

RyanByorick, Sep 17, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

All the time I spent in Northern Italy and I thought Spaten was Italian for beer. Where was La Rossa when I was munching on my Fruta Del Mar? Pours a semi sticky head over translucent terra-cotta. Nose of cannoli and a steamy latte with Hazelnut syrup. Sweet malts are dispersed by a regiment of bittering hops for a decently balanced--if leaning more toward the malt side--Doppio Malto. Leaves a lively little warm spot on your soul. At $8 a six you can bet I'll be drinking more of this.

inebrius, Oct 13, 2002

Caskaway, Jan 11, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

I got this in Dunwoody, GA at 48th Street Market, a little Italian grocery/sandwich shop/wine store. They also had regular Moretti and also Peroni, but i'm much more of a dark beer guy, and haven't gotten into the lagers lately. So, finding this shop right around the corner from school and they have a good dark beer??? i was a regular every Tuesday and Thursday!

Served from bottle into a 8 oz plastic cup (all they had... strange), Appearance was dark copper with a nice head to it

Smelled like coffee malty goodness... I remember getting excited when I was about to drink my first one!

Made for a great beer to go along with a roast beef sandwich or piece of homemade pastry or vegetable soup. I never drank more than one since I was drinking on break from classes, after all... but at $3 a bottle I could have drank em all day if it was closer to home!

areyoukind, May 15, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A--Deep amber color with about a finger of off-white head that dissipates quickly

S--Caramel Malt with a slight hint of hops and alcohol

T--Caramel sweetness followed swiftly with bitter hops. finish is mostly clean with lingering caramel and alcohol taste. Very smooth, very nice.

M--Light to medium body with almost no carbonation

D--Got better with every sip. It would be very easy to drink several of these if not for the 7.20% ABV.

tozz8, Dec 30, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance: Not a whole lot of lacing and foam here. But I love the red amber color. Wonderful champagne-like carbonation in Moretti La Rossa as well, something I've noticed with Italian beers. This would rate higher if not for the lack of lacing and foam. Still, I like it.

Smell: Wonderful and powerful caramel malts. One of the maltiest beers I've ever smelled. There are tons of spices and strong flower hops as well. The perfect knock-you-out-of-your-chair balance.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I love this taste! Malt and strong floral hops. I also taste tons of cinnamon as well. The beer goes down smoothly and is pretty dry as well.

Drinkability: This loses point because it does take a while to finish Moretti La Rossa. Goes well with any tomato-based Italian dish.

Overall: As far as I'm concerned, this beer gets no publicity or credit in a growing market for bock beers. Try, try, try!

tjsdomer2, Nov 02, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +15.9%

A dark ruby colored brown with a thick, bubbly ivory head that doesn't want to drop. Nice scatterings of lacing cling to the tall glass that it was served with.
Smell is of sweet, caramel, toffee and fruity malts. This smells like an authentic German db in my opinion.
Taste is smooth, rich, creamy with fruity, caramelish taste that pumps through with a toffee candy sweetness. Again, this reminds me of an authentic German db.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation that seems to compliment the smooth complexity of this beer. I would take this over several dopple's anyday and I don't mean that as a knock against others. I just think they did a nice job with this one.

Finger licking good.

weeare138, Jun 19, 2005
Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto from Birra Moretti (Heineken)