Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto - Birra Moretti (Heineken)

Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio MaltoMoretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto

good

Birra Moretti (Heineken) visit their website
Italy

Doppelbock |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev -2.5%

appears a brownish amber beneath a somewhat frothy tan head. not much head retention but a decent amount of lacing. smells like caramel malts and brown sugar, a faint amount of hops and an earthy quality i can't quite discern. tastes pretty malty up front with some hops, a bit bready and grainy in the middle with a caramelesque residual sweetness on finish (with just a hint of alcohol). reminds me of an oktoberfest more than a dopplebock. has decent balance on the taste front but nothing that stands out as special. feels pretty smooth in the mouth, it's medium bodied, and carbonation is fairly light. goes down easy, but for a dopplebock its a little tame for me. i prefer a darker one with more roasted smells and flavors. this could just about be classified as a maerzen and i wouldn't be surprised. overall not a bad beer and certainly drinkable but not an outstanding dopplebock.

jizdepski, Dec 02, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured a dark, reddish brown with a modest head that rapidly faded to a collar. The aroma was not present for me. The taste was not overly sweet, molasses though not syrupy. There was also a little hoppy bitter that made things interesting. The feel was medium bodied with fairly good carbonation. Drinkability was real good, a reasonable 7.2 ABV. A good beer in a tough doppelbock category.

kegger22, Oct 31, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

Had this at Ippolito's in Sandy Springs. Aroma is strong and malty, not complex but still promising. It pours a nice dark brownish amber with a very thick, fine-bubbled, long-lasting light tan head. Flavor is typically malty, but mouth-filling with hints of hops and caramel. Texture is quite tingly and lively.

Cyberkedi, Oct 19, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -2.5%

Tasted on September 30, 2009 in Trenton, NJ. This was a business trip and at the end of dinner, I was still thirsty and it was the only decent beer in the restaurant. The beer is amber/red with a good head. The aroma is caramel, malts with some alcohol notes. Similar in the taste, but the alcohol is more present with it's warmth. No bad...

I need to probably revisit this one, to get a proper tasting review.

ZorPrime, Oct 14, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -12.1%

Pourd from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark amber color with a 1 inch head. Smells sweet, lots of malts. Taste is a bit sour, alcohol with some malts. Feels medium bodied in the mouth. Drinkability is about average. Overall this is a fairly decent brew.

tone77, Oct 06, 2009
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I got his beer from my BA-buddy PapaEugene, who brought it from Italy. Poured into a Westmalle glass. The beer pours a clear red-brown color, with a head that is not worth mentioning. Lacing was nice and long lasting.

Smell; mild sweet caramel malts. I cannot make more of it...

Taste: again the sweet caramel malts, but with some spicy hops as well (I guess coriander, but not sure). Aftertaste is slightly bitter and spicy. Alcohol is also a bit present in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: a bit thin-bodied for the style, but not disturbing. Medium-carbonation

Overall: a decent beer. Not very exciting, but I will never refuse another one. Very drinkable

rvdoorn, Oct 02, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

An Italian doppelbock, what!? 12 oz bottle, can't tell the best by date.

Pours into my bavarian mug with a short-lived 1 finger white head. The beer itself glows with a vibrant reddish-oragend-amber. I like the look of this, a bit clearer than the average doppelbock.

Smell is decent, typical malt bomb. Dark malts come in the form of brown sugar which melds with a slightly metallic scent.

An intial noticeable plus to this beer is its great mouthfeel. It is lighter in taste than most doppelbocks but has a nice roasted malt flavor, mixed with some lightly cloying sweetness. Has some dark fruit flavor in there as well, a good flavored doppelbock, though light on flavor, making it highly drinkable, especially considering the alcohol is well hidden.

Overall it holds its own in the battle against the Germans but it could use a bit more flavor to properly bask amongst the German doppelbock giants.

crossovert, Sep 20, 2009

This is the beer I drink whenever we visit my wife's parents in Milano. Much better than any of the regular pilseners around. My father in law brought me 3 bottles of this stuff. Opened one and poured it in my Achel glass.

A: A great red/bown color. A slight head that dissapears instantly. Might be due too the fat pizza...

S: Not too impressed. Sweet and malty.

T: Now that's better. Roasted malts, nuts, caramel, dried plums and a hint of red fruits. Pretty tasteful.

M: Light/medium carbonation. A little watery, still a decent body.

D: Very drinkable. Steady choice when I'm in Italy together with the Doppio Malto from Moretti.

PapaEugene, Aug 15, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

Usually not a big fan of the mass produced imports and doppelbocks are one of my least favorite styles... both I actually enjoyed this beer. Pours a cool stained wood type of color, decent head to it which dissipates fairly quickly. Perfume like type of aroma, also some alcohol can be detected. Taste wise it's very smooth and creamy. Pretty sweet and a nice body to this one, certainly quite malty and has a bit of an alcohol kick to it due to the 7.2% ABV but it all goes together well. One of the best doppelbocks I've tried, and go figure it's an Italian import. Solid brew.

oriolesfan4, Aug 14, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

I'm not a big italian beer fan but this is better than the usual vienna style lager that you get out of Italy. I've seen it as the "dark beer" offering in Italy but recently had it at an italian restaurant in new york city. Great red color, very decent maltiness, doesn't taste as strong as the alcohol by volume suggests. Overall a good alternative to the other italian offerings.

Would recommend if you're in the same situation.

david18, Aug 02, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +10.7%

When waiting for a table at my local Italian restaurant I asked the man near the beer cooler which does he recommend. Expecting a "everyone likes the Peroni" I was surprised to hear the Moretti La Rossa, especially since I was not aware of any Italian Doppelbocks. I was happy for his recommendation and have picked it up at my local beer store since. A: Brown head and dark heavier body. When held up to the light I saw reds and browns. S: Strong malt smell, one that reminds me of fermentation process. T: That dopplebock flavor is unmistakeable, the double malt provides an unmistakeable sweetness. M: Syrupy, no question, with a coating of higher alcohol goodness. D: I can't get enough of the doppelbocks or trippels, so it usually is the alcohol content (7.2% in this case) that slows me down.
The bottle has been redesigned since the last pic entry.

chetripley, Aug 02, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

I love this brew. Not normally of a type I seek out, as I've become a bit of a hophead lately. I was in an Italian restaurant that didn't have much but unremarkable Euro lagers/pilsners. So, I looked for anything "dark" and was pleasantly surprised to find a beer I'll have again and again.

It pours a rich amber/brown with a fairly sturdy head. The malt dominates the aroma and flavor, which has a great brown sugar and caramel balance. You can really taste the roasted grain here. Normally, I might say "not complex" but the full malt flavor works well for the La Rossa. I didn't find it too sweet, as others had. The alcohol content is well incorporated. I didn't realize it was 7.2% until I had this beer a few different times.

I guess this one just works well with my palate. Enjoy!

jecartier, Jul 29, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Wanted to like this one a little more....

Looks pretty good with a rich brown appearance topped by a creamy eggshell head...looks really good in a pint glass...

Sweet malty aromas with a touch of vinous fruits...maybe a bit of booze as well...

Malts up front that give way to a sweet, sweet booziness... Whew... Really sweet, overly so.. Its like there's too much sweetness and not enough maltiness...

Glad I didn't get a whole sixer of this... I could probably drink this again but with other much better doppelbocks out there, why bother?

Tilley4, Jul 25, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from as 12 oz bottle into a tall glass. Two fingers of white foam above a clear amber beer. Nice hopped smell with a malt overtone. Tasted less malty than the smell. The mouthfeel is good and went well with the pizza we had at lunch. Above average drinkability.

ProfessorCJ, Jul 15, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

12oz bottle. Pours a clear red-brown with a fluffy light tan head. Smells of caramel malt and molasses. Fruity, with lots of raisin/prune notes. Quite sweet. Tastes similar, with brown sugar and sweet malt coming through strongly. A bit of a metallic character in the background, along with a bit of smokiness. Sweet finish. Medium, somewhat syrupy body. Not a great doppelbock, but certainly better than the usual Moretti offerings.

philipquarles, Jul 09, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -3%

A: rusty, amber color brew with a fizzy head that soon fades after pouring

S: honey, brown sugar and wheat bread

T: rich malt up front that leaves a honey wheat and pepper aftertaste

M: medium-heavy body that leaves the mouth dry

D: Overall, a decent and unique dopple. I would prefer it had a smoother fade though. seems too dry and bitter.

OlRasputin989, Jul 05, 2009

Poured from a bottle with a label that looked slightly different than the one here on BA on 6 17 09 into a standard clean, clear glass. The glass may have had a "Birra Moretti" label. That I cannot recall. I was in Venice, Italy (technically it was on Lido Island at a place called, "Roxy.")

A Brown translucent body under a Medium Brown head. Nice look.

S Nice malt, brown ale smell. Consider me impressed already considering other Birra Moretti offerings.

T Very much like a German Dopplebock (Optimator comes to mind). I certainly taste the double malt. Very nice.

M Appropriate, syrupy feel. Medium overall with a 7.2% ABV beefing things up.

D Good for a dopplebock.

Notes: Expiration of November 2009. Label lists that it was brewed and bottled in Milan. This just shows me that Birra Moretti is able to brew a good beer, they just sell much more of the weak Euro Lager stuff I guess.

adamette, Jul 01, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Another brew poured into my freebie Sammy Adams glass - and looks darn good with a clear amber / mahogany with a thick rocky top floating on top, leaving ring sheets of lace.

Thick aroma of caramel and malt, pure dobble bock style. Sweet taste of malt with the caramel lingering underneath. Just a nip of hop to sturdy and balance it out. For any malt lovers, this should fit the bill. No hint of 7.2%, a "light" version of the dobble - perfect with dinner or a stand-alone nightcap.

Not a bad dobblebock at all, pleasantly surprised - and would have no problem picking up a full sixer instead of the one and done sample tried here.

Vancer, Jun 10, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Ordered a bottle last night while having dinner at Carlo's Cucina in Allston. Poured into a an oversized juice glass. Dark reddish brown color. Strong pour needed to form a head. A little lacing on the glass. Sugary and spicy smell. Tons of malt with the first sip. A real malt bomb. Thick enough body, but not overly to make it hard to drink. Rather smooth actually. A nice offering from Moretti Heineken. A nice beer to accompany my fettucini with plum tomato sauce and veal. This beer stands up well to a hearty Italian dish.

morebeergood, Jun 09, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

La Rossa pours a dark cherry-brown color. It's very clear and has a nice scarlet tint. Sitting top is a nice tan head that reaches over two fingers deep. It receded rather quickly and left a very light, stringy lacing behind.

The nose is very malty. It smells sweet and full of caramel and toffee. Light chocolate malts are noted. They're relatively light, but worth noting. Dark fruit is secondary to the malty aroma, but are pretty strong in the mix. Raisin and plum scents are noted. Smells like there's a bit of a floral hop presence. Perhaps some grain. Yeast is noted on the tail. Alcohol is well hidden and unnoticeable. I'm pretty impressed with the nose. It's spot on for the style and rather impressive. A little more strength wouldn't hurt, but it smells good.

The flavor profile's pretty good, too. It's very malty and a little sweet up front. Caramel and chocolate malts blend well. Chocolate malts give it bit of a cocoa-ish flavor. Dark fruit is much more pronounced in flavor. Raisin and plum flavors are strong and bit tangy. Frankly, I think it's a bit too strong. It's slightly grainy and yeasty. The hop presence is definitely notable toward the end. It adds a floral aspect to the flavor and slight bitter bite. Alcohol comes through to strong in flavor. It's a little warm and doesn't do much for the overall flavor. It's not overtly bad, but it definitely knocks the score down a notch. Overall, it's above average and pretty good.

La Rossa has lighter medium body. It's a tad thin. Carbonation is light and just about right. A bit more body would help smooth it out a little. Drinkability is above average. The flavor's pretty good and it goes down easy. The flavor grows a little tiresome by the end of the bottle, but it's not bad.

I'm pretty impressed with La Rossa. I wasn't expecting much out of it and it turned out to be a decent bock. It could be improved with a couple of easy tweaks. Tone down the dark fruit flavor and the alcohol just a bit. A little more body would probably help, but perhaps not materially. All in all, it's pretty good and better than expected. Perhaps my expectations dropped a little too much when I saw the word "Heineken" in the profile. Definitely worth checking out if you run across a bottle.

prototypic, May 30, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +21.7%

a-Amber with slight tint of red

s-Full-on dopplebock style. Toasty, toffee, and coffee all at once.

t-Rich and malty. velvet consistancy with a good tail-end. Priming sugar very prominant. Nutty

m-It stays with ya. Just like a dopplebock should

d-Im a complete malt head. I wish i could get 12-packs of it.

thebassman, May 25, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

Presentation: brown pop top bottle with classy label

Appearance: Beautiful dark walnut beer with light tan whipped cream head which soon fades to thick sticky film

Smell: Sweet caramel/bready malt backed with sweet dark fruit and hints of alcohol...quite nice

Taste: Balance between sweet malts, Belgian-style candy sugar, and a decent kick of fruity, brandy-like alcohol; not much in the way of hop presence

Mouthfeel: Rich, smooth, full-bodied

Drinkability: Pretty decent for the abv. and style

Conclusion: This was a fairly unexpected treat; a German-style beer from Italy, I mean, c'mon. I paired this with dried figs and dark bread and it was quite nice. Not a home run, but solid

BedetheVenerable, May 17, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

Enjoyable beer. A little too malty/sour for my taste, or at least for me to have a second. I enjoyed this one and I think I could have it again.

A - nice dark brown, white head.

S - sweet and malty

T - Nice. Pretty flavorful and full. But I get a little club soda type bitterness and some malty sourness in the after taste. A few people mentioned that taste a lot of alchohol and maybe that's what I'm getting that I don't like.

M - ok, a little filmy

D - I could have it again, and would, but I wouldn't have 2 in a row.

HeroJH, May 15, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +10.7%

A- dark amber/brown with a good head, doesn't dissipate very fast and lace really stick to the glass

S- Honey with orange peel and strong aroma of malts

T- malty with strong notes of honey and caramels in lieu of a stout. Bitter at first but a sweet aftertaste compliments nicely

M- really smooth with carbonation that fits the taste

D- good but may be a bit bitter for the type of beer but it is manageable, good beginning beer!

twaddlac, May 06, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -3%

Good dark Italian beer that poured with a decent head; rich deep taste like a porter with a dominant roasted malt flavor, along with sweet caramel, coffee/toffee and faint hops. Smooth drinking with a medium body and light carbonation. Stands out from all other Italian beers that I've had since it has more flavor and all the others seem to be along the lines of a pilsner. It's a little light for a Doppelboack, but still a good beer.

CHickman, Apr 19, 2009
Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto from Birra Moretti (Heineken)