Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto - Birra Moretti (Heineken)

Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio MaltoMoretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto

good

Birra Moretti (Heineken) visit their website
Italy

Doppelbock |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto Alström Bros
acrawf6

Louisiana

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours out clear dark brown amber with a nice one finger head that rests on top for a good while.

Smell. Very, very malty. There is a good amount of sweetness here, a little bit of candy flavor like strawberry and some bananas. I even am getting a good amount of bubble gum aromas. I seem to get a dubbel aroma to this beer. Quite interesting, and good.

Taste. A tamed doppelbock, good mild and smooth flavors. Of course, a heavy malty flavor. But there is also bit of a yeasty characteristic. Taste is not as sweet as i would have thought from the aroma. I am getting christmas fruit cake when i let it sit in my mouth. Aftertaste is a touch warming. While drinking this, i can sense the 7.2% alc, but it is not dominant.

Mouthfeel. Medium to full. The mouthfeel starts off slick, but gets a little bit chewy after a second or two in my mouth. Nice amount of carbonation.

Overall, i think this is a nice doppelbock, and quite drinkable despite the 7.2% alc. Not the best, but i think pretty solid.

08-15-2006 00:16:36 | More by acrawf6
klewis

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

ABV listed at 7.2%

A: pours a clear dark copper with a big bubbly head with lots of sustain and thick lace.

S: Subtle sweet malt aroma.

T: A little light on the taste, but it has some good flavors of sweet malt and roasted nuts.

M: This one is a little thin in body, and with its light carbonation, doesn't give the beer much of a presence.

D: Better than expected. This is no Celebrator, but this beer greatly exceeded the low expectations that I unfairly assigned it. Unlike Celebrator, the light character of this one could easily make it a session beer.

08-04-2006 22:46:54 | More by klewis
kimcgolf

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a bottle to an amber-brown, with thin tan head and okay lacing,. Aroma was sweet malty chocolate with some caramel. As glass warmed, hints of alcohol entered the smell. Flavor was more of the malty wweetness, and finish was smooth, although not all that long, and again, alcohol was more pronounced at beer’s end.

08-03-2006 01:59:11 | More by kimcgolf
beefytee

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

Holy Crap!! Italy makes good beer.

I have had the lighter sister to this beer, so I thought I knew generally what to expect.

WOW...I was wrong!

This pours a beautiful clear red orange rust. The smell is suprising, full and sweet.

Malty, very little hop action...but not cloying. 7.2 is tasted and felt. Really a suprisingly good beer.

A tiny bit thin in the mouth for the style.

Great finish and it lingers, but cleanly.

poured into Rochefort goblet

good stuff

07-28-2006 00:14:35 | More by beefytee
jettjon

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Ordered from Carrabbas, not expecting much… boy was I surprised! Pours a dark cranberry brown color with a stead cascade of tiny bubbles fueling a one-finger tan head that fades slowly leaving decent lacing and a solid ring of foam. Nose is very sweet and malty with a hint of raspberry. Taste is extremely malty, like a malty, sweet caramel candy. The malt is sweet but not overpoweringly so, and soon fades to moderate hops. Mouth is creamy and smooth, with tiny, unobtrusive bubbles. Drinkability is very good: it’s smooth, good tasting, and goes down easily.Overall: I recognized this beer almost immediately as a dopplebock. Though not the best representation of the style, it’s definitely a solid, good-tasting beer. Recommended.

07-21-2006 01:47:25 | More by jettjon
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass at Vino Mercato, Bend, OR. Needed a good beer to go with a panini; I would not have guessed this was going to be an Italian doppelbock - and a good one. A very pleasant surprise.

A: Rich red/amber. Clear with a frothy one-finger white head. Not as dark as traditional doppelbock style.

S: Heavy caramel malt aroma. Biscuits, cherries, some spice.

T: Wonderful malty sweetness with a bit of berry fruitiness. Mild sourdough bread. The mildest of hop bittering to balance flavors. Consistantly good flavor from start to finish.

M: Moderate carbonation. Medium body, lingering slight malt but very pleasant.

D: A very enjoyable beer, all the right flavors. Doesn't matter from which country it originates, I'd gladly get this doppelbock again.

07-05-2006 20:02:22 | More by msubulldog25
Prufrock

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

medium brown that shows some ruby against the light. a touch of off-white head that retains well.

sweet, rich, malty aroma. bread, caramel, cherries and alcohol notes.

alcohol comes through in the flavor as well, but with a solid malty flavor of caramel. slightly smoky with a dark fruit sweetness. feel is thick and slightly medicinal; finish is sweet and alcoholic. alcohol is slightly too prominent, but it's a nicely strong and complex doppelbock.

07-04-2006 15:30:25 | More by Prufrock
DarkerTheBetter

4.33/5  rDev +19%

This beer poured a cola and amber color with some red highlights and a thin partial film of slightly tan, even bubbles.

Smelled of sticky caramel and burnt sugar malts with a hint of green grapes and a touch of smoke.

The smell predicted a lot of the flavor with a solid, sweet malty base that suggested smoky caramel, prunes, port and green grapes with a subtle but invigorating orange and lemon sourness brought on by the effervescing carbonation. There was a definite smokiness left in my mouth for the finish.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with a sparse, but very present carbonation that helped distribute some citrus notes in the flavor.

I wasn’t expecting this solid of a beer. Perhaps the ideas of “Italy” and “Dopplebock” seldom are paired in the human mind, but this one’s a fine example of the style.

06-28-2006 20:17:57 | More by DarkerTheBetter
DogFood11

3.35/5  rDev -8%

Doing the best I can to rank to style I found the appearance to be slightly below average. Nice sized head fades rather quickly to a thin cover, speckled lacing. Ruby red body with mild carbonation.

On the lighter side of a dopplebock overall. Fruits are dark and rich but lacking much depth. Metallic comes to mind in the smell and early in the taste. The body doesn't reflect the *lighter* taste and by that I'm saying the body is rather rich and full. Alcohol is large and noticeable but welcomed in this brew "it fits". Some pepper in the late late late aftertaste.

Notes: The best "italian brewed" beer that I've had to date. I would definitely order this brew and will look for it more often when scrambling to find something decent to drink at most italian restaraunts. Reccomended.

06-17-2006 02:01:30 | More by DogFood11
shirfan

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Dark, clear brownish red, with thin lacing.

Earthy aroma, with notes of leather, straw, and oats.

Taste: Much better than expected. Juicy sweet but not cloying, with malt, brown sugar, and even a little orange chocolate rolling around in a solid, but still refreshing medium body. Pleasantly mild warming in the finish; would be perfect for a chilly winter night back up north.

This is an excellent dopplebock --a really nice surprise from Italy. A definite re-buy.

05-13-2006 21:21:41 | More by shirfan
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured orange/red with a white, bubbly head that became a lace that was thin but covered the entire beer.
The smell was a bit on the thin side but had the aroma of caramel, bready yeast and alcohol.
Delicious taste. It tasted of caramel, bread, and finished with an alcohol flavor. My only problem was that I've had beers with slightly higher alcohol content that covered the alcohol taste a bit more. Otherwise, the taste was exceptional.
The aftertaste was pleasant. Nothing offensive in its smell or taste.
This is truly a beer that I would recommend with pizza. It's bready, caramel tones are a fitting complement with it.
I've had several Italian beers, and this one is by far the best.

04-29-2006 22:36:35 | More by jwc215
daliandragon

3.13/5  rDev -14%

The last time I drank an Italian beer was six years ago in Florence and I was drunk and professing my love to a girl I had known for only the nineteen hours I'd been wandering around the city with her for. It was, as my buddies later said.."both awkward and humiliating at the same time.." So we left for Munich and Oktoberfest the next day..
At any rate, this brew pours amber reddish with a cowardly head that disappears after about forty seconds exposure. Excessive carbonation is clearly on display. Nose is malty and sweet and a bit dense.
Strong malt flavors in the taste but the finish is clean and easy. Mouthfeel is also rough at first but mellows quickly. I don't know what it is about the taste of this beer but something doesn't seem right..maybe some additives or something, I don't know. Just something not right about the smell.
Well, at least it was less embarrassing than the last time I had an Italian beer. Also, a lot less memorable.

04-13-2006 05:07:35 | More by daliandragon
AltBock

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

12oz. bottle with a label different than the one pictured on BA. In the center of the label is their symbol of a man in gangster clothing, holding a pitcher of beer and winking or sleeping. I don't know, it looks like both of his eyes are closed. The same picture is also on the cap too. Over his picture in big white words, is LA ROSSA. There was no date on the back, but there was something that probably acts like a date on the front but I just don't understand it. It is 425838OHF.

Appearance: When I poured it into my favorite dopplebock plisner glass, it was this dark amber color with just a hint ruby in there as well. I got this nice 2 finger head of white foam that left plenty of nice white lace and rings after its disappearance.

Smell: All I got was this light aroma of hops in the beginning and some malt at the end. It wasn't roasted malt, toasted malt, or even chocolate malt, it was just a plain simple malt aroma. That's it, just a simple hops and malt aroma.

Taste: I was expecting this beer to have a big malt taste, but again I was wrong. What I got instead was plenty hops and maybe some watered down toasted malt at the end. That's it! It was good, but it isn't what I look in a 7.2% ABV Dopplebock. To me it tasted more like an ale style than a lager style.

Mouthfeel: I found this beer to be medium bodied, highly carbonated, and with a slight aftertaste of alcohol.

Drinkability: I sure hope I didn't get a bad bottle, because this beer to me really doesn't taste like a Dopplebock. It's a good thing I didn't buy a six-pack of this. It was a good beer, but I really don't like to have hoppy Dopplebocks.

03-14-2006 21:49:36 | More by AltBock
nlmartin

The beer was poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a nice deep dark amber coloration. The head was honey colored and about a finger thick. There was no head retention to speak of . Thick sheets of lacing remained behind on the glass.

Smell: The beer has a bit of molasses and spicyness peaking up. Smells like a sea of malty sweetness.

Taste: The beer had an almost port wine sort of taste. There is no hops noted in the taste. The beer is straight up malty goodness.

Mouthfeel: The beer was medium bodied. The buttery malty sweet taste seemed to go on forever in the mouth.

Drinkabiltiy: This beer is hugely quaffable. I was almost finished with the three before I had realized how much I had drunk. Just a yummy beer treat.

03-05-2006 11:15:14 | More by nlmartin
Phatz

4.15/5  rDev +14%

What a fantastic Doublebock! This is a Big beer and very malty sweet. I love it!

Appearance: Pours a nice dark amber with a huge creamy off whit head in my pilsner glass.

Smell: Very bold thick musty, sweet toasty dark malt aroma.

Taste: This beer has a full, big taste of dark toasty malts. It is sweet and has strong suggestions of caramel, brown sugar, toffee and molasses. It has subtle suggestions of wood, birch (cherry), fruit and hops.

The after taste just lasts and lasts. It has a very pleasant sugary sweet malty aftertaste that very slightly has a hop suggestions to it.

Mouthfeel: Big. The mouthfeel is full and fluffy upfront and although it has components of syrupiness it is not heavy and sticky it is more creamy, and smooth (oily).

Drinkability: Absolutely unbelievably guzzleable. It is so sweet and smooth this beer just simply goes down easily! Before you know it the 7.20 % ABV will catch up with you! Enjoy!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

02-17-2006 07:29:45 | More by Phatz
Drew966

3.75/5  rDev +3%

This beer came in a twelve ounce brown bottle. It poured an amber color, not quite red, with a thick head. Not surprisngly it smells like malt. Sure enough, it tastes like malt through and through, with just a bit of hops to give it some balance. This is a tasty beer, not what I expected from Italy. Definitely worth a try.

02-06-2006 00:46:39 | More by Drew966
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a chestnut/red with a 1" deep offwhite head. Minimal head retention & no lacing

Smell: Hints of malt and leather that give way to alcohol as this warms

Taste: Malt/Caramel taste mixes with slight grainyness and bitterness with a dry leather-like finish

Chewy, but slighty overcarbonated

A nice little beer that goes down pretty good for it's strength. I do remember this being a little tastier a few years back, but still not bad

02-02-2006 04:05:23 | More by russpowell
tweeder263

Poured out a dark amber with a 2 finger head.Smells of a light sweet malt,light hops,,smell isnt very strong. Taste is pretty strong though.Taste of sweet malt,,slight hoppage towards the end of the sip.Alcohol is slightly apparent but tamed.Mouthfeel is pretty good ,,a pretty good brew and i was surprised by it.

01-29-2006 02:21:58 | More by tweeder263
pjwilson

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

appearance: pours a bright red into a tulip. A nice head forms with a lasting and nice lacing. Is this really suposed to be a dopplebock? It looks about like an irish red

smell: typical euro hop smell, backed my some caramal malts. subdued at this low temp.

taste: yes that does taste like a dopplebock, but more thin than average. Has that nice creamy dopplebock malt taste. This is actually higher hopped than the average dopplebock, for the style it's outright bitter, but it does blend well with the sweetness. There is alcohol in the taste for sure.

mouthfeel: nice and light, with an alright drinkability.

seems like this would be a good companion to an italtian lunch. All the italian deli's around here have Birra Moretti. Interesting take on the ol' dopplebock.

01-03-2006 01:36:46 | More by pjwilson
RBorsato

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

Clear light brown/amber color with a nice beige head and nice active carbonation. Nice solid bready malt aroma and flavor with a touch of spice. Medium-full bodied and smooth with a nice light spicy dry malt finish.

Very nice Italian beer - up there with Forst Sixtus Doppelbock but a bit lighter in color, body, and flavor.

Per Label: "Doppio Malto" and "Dal 1859"

($1.49 / 12 oz.)

12-23-2005 18:41:05 | More by RBorsato
Redrover

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

I had a couple of these last night at Carmine’s Clam House on Rush Street In Chicago. Nice restaurant if you find yourself in that part of town.

The beer poured out a caramel color with big tan head. It had excellent lacing.

Sweet nose of caramel and molasses.

Taste is similar to the smell. It is a bit sweet with almost a hard candy thing going on. Some grainy taste emerges later and adds some needed balance. Still my impression is of a sweet & toasty beer.

I thought the mouth was a bit thin for this style, but it is a very easy drinker. One was not enough, but two was plenty. I would buy this one again.

11-04-2005 15:25:14 | More by Redrover
marcobrau

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

A perfect beer for a windy, cool evening. This strong lager poured a deep red color with a sustaining white head that left some nice lacework down the sides of my glass. The rustic aroma is very pleasing with some raisin-like accents. This is definitely a malt-accented beer (hopheads run away!) with tawny caramel malt flavors that linger on the tongue. The silkiness of this beer is reminiscent of a fine liqeur, with just enough dryness to prevent a cloying character. This beer may be categorized as a dopplebock, but I think of it as more unique than that, sort of a Northern Italian strong red lager, as it doesn't seem as dark as other dopplebocks that I've sampled. Perhaps I'm being too technical. This beer is an old favorite of mine and I was happy to see it in the cooler at my local Italian deli. I'm looking forward to enjoying some of these brews with some smoked chicken ravioli I have planned for dinner later in the week!

09-29-2005 01:41:59 | More by marcobrau
semihobo

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%

First doppelbock and first Italian beer...

Great tan head, very rich, clear, nutty-brownish-red color. The color is excellent. (Appearance note: my bottle looks way cooler than the BA one pictured, nice work Castello Di Udine).

Smells strongly of sweet malts. Not sure what else to say -- no hops, can't really pick out anything from the sweetness. Some breadiness.

Huge malt profile, wow. Somewhat to my surprise, also a substantial amount of hops, although they play second fiddle here. Very bready and chewy. A little bitter on the finish from some generic hops. A little bit of nuttiness.

Mouthfeel is superb, pretty thick. Leaves a coating in your mouth, whew. Carbonation is well matched with the style/flavor. Creamy.

I don't want to overrate this, since I don't have any doppelbocks to compare it to. That said, it is delicious. I can't believe this has a 7.2%abv ... so easy to drink. A big beer that is super malty instead of super hoppy ... what an idea.

09-27-2005 22:19:11 | More by semihobo
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a brilliant mahagony color with a finger of head that falls to a light coating. The nose is nicely roasted, with nutty tones. Very nice. Flavor is the same. Nutty, slightly sweet caramel. Very tasty brew. The feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. Overall, a nice brew. Tasty but not too big in the flavor. I like it. Dopplebocks often have too much flavor for me, but this one works well for me. Enjoyable.

09-17-2005 01:59:26 | More by kmpitz2
tjthresh

Indiana

2.95/5  rDev -19%

Moderate malt presents in the aroma. Big hit right off the bat. Toast, caramel, raisin, and cherry are there, but had to search. Brown with some red highlights. Fair head. Flavor was lacking also. It was there, but restrained. Very lively, medium bodied. Alcohol was not hard to find. Over all a good beer, but not a good example of the dopplebock.

08-26-2005 13:10:24 | More by tjthresh
Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto from Birra Moretti (Heineken)