1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Off KILTer - Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant

Off KILTerOff KILTer

poor

Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant visit their website
Iowa, United States

Scottish Ale |  ABV ?

This traditional Scottish Ale has a subdued hop flavor and aroma with a high in malt flavor. Our brew master actually wears a kilt while brewing this ale to achieve maximum Scottish feel and tradition.

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 10-10-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 37 | Reviews: 21 | Show All Ratings:
afinepilsner

2.68/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz brown bottle

Off KILT er Scottish Ale was brown in color and somewhat hazy. It had a towering light tan head with good retention and lacing. The smell was light with some toasted malt. The taste was sweet toasted malt upfront with some odd spice or yeast flavor coming through. The finish was dry. It was just less than medium bodied and over-carbonated. Drinkability was below average. Overall it was a below average Scottish Ale.

01-30-2011 00:02:42 | More by afinepilsner
mdwalsh

2.83/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Good rich brown coloring, but awfully hazy, in both me and my wife's glasses. Hard to tell if it's yeast or protein matter or what, but it's cloudy. There's an ok amount of head, but absolutely no lace. Very meh. 3.0

S: Metallic and other smells prevail. Some floral herbalness, though. An intriguing smell, but not a good one at all. 3.0

T: ICK. Astringent, thin and thick in all the wrong ways, lots of chemical....yuck....going on here. It tastes like this beer was sitting on some very reactive metal for too long. None of the slightly sweet or herbal, heathery tastes that should be in a Scottish ale. 2.5

M: The mouthfeel on this one is ok, not perfect or even great, but just about the only thing this beer has going for it. 3.5

D: Just YUCK, but I would try it again, because I feel a beer that is sold commercially could not be that bad on a normal basis. 3

12-13-2010 15:44:28 | More by mdwalsh
ballz50401

2.05/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint. Pours a clear dark brown with low carbonation and no head. Very nutty aroma, strong peanut aroma. Something nutty is going on in the taste department too, not a very good balance of malts, little smokiness. Meduim body mouthfeel. Something just seems off with this one. This was a drain poor.

07-17-2010 05:43:43 | More by ballz50401
JISurfer

South Carolina

2.25/5  rDev -17.6%

It was my last day in the giant corn field that is better known as Des Moines, IA. I wanted to find a beer that locally made, so I headed over to the local HyVee store. They had a great selection of midwestern brews I've never heard of before, so I just went in blind and got this one, because it was made close to Des Moines and it was a Scottish style ale. Boy was I disappointed. The appearance was great, had nice thick head and stayed around for a little while as well. After that, it was pretty much down hill. It was basically like a mass produced version of a light Scottish Ale. I could smell and taste hints of a good Scottish Style ale, but it was being over powered by the wateriness. Sorry Iowa, I just couldn't get into this one.

06-28-2010 00:58:10 | More by JISurfer
DT051

3.03/5  rDev +11%

Served: Bottle poured into a pint glass.

Aroma: Malty slight caramel and biscuit. some earthy woodiness to it and a little bit of sour fruitiness from somewhere.

Appearance: Dark Amber with a little purple to it, pretty hazy in the glass, color is a bit different than I have seen... Head was tanish and dissipated rather quickly.

Flavor: Smokey Caramel with some biscuit and woody earthiness, no real hop bitterness but slight hints of floral. alcohol is not too noticeable.

Body and Texture: quite light-bodied, watery. and what I thought was a lot of carbonation.

Drinkability: manageable alcohol and not very filling, which is not too surprising given it was pretty watery.

overall pretty different from the style which I suppose is ok here given the name but the changes aren't anything I'm going out looking for.

04-10-2010 05:40:06 | More by DT051
Wasatch

Utah

3.53/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks goes out to tedpeer for this one.

Pours a nice hazy golden amber/brown color, nice carbonation, nice little creamy off-white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some slight spice note, and caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight spice, and a good dose of caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad.

01-09-2010 20:34:31 | More by Wasatch
BehindtheFinBrew

3.1/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle to 16oz American pint

A: Pours a hazy mahogany brown with a 2-finger ivory head that quickly dissipated to thin cream cap. Lacing was present but not present throughout but was white an foamy.

S: Roasted malt, biscuit, and wood with floral spice. A slight twinge of alcohol is evident.

T: Bittersweet chocolate and wood. A malt-forward beer with little to no bitterness from hops. Flavor was one-dimensional, which wasn't necessarily bad, but left me wanting more depth of flavor.

M: Moderate carbonation along with rounded malt character led way to a chewy texture. A syrup like feel emerged as the session progressed.

This was my introduction to Olde Main Brewing and to say the least it was lackluster and a mild representation of a Scotch Ale.

01-01-2010 15:27:20 | More by BehindtheFinBrew
sholland119

2.45/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a cloudy iced tea brown with a thin tan head and decent lacing.

S-Light malt. Period.

T-Rather unlike any Scottish ale I have had. Some sweet ,alt in the front, but very light. No rich malt, no peatiness. I would never have guessed the style on this one.

M-Quite thin, rather overcarbonated.

D-Not my thing. The rest of this is headed for the drain.

HV

10-12-2009 01:20:10 | More by sholland119
katan

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev +19%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a brown and hazy color. Strong head formation, well retained. Very carbonated.

S - Malty and bready notes, only a light amount of yeast. Not much for peat malt notes common with scottish ales.

T - Starts off with a bready note of crystal malts and sweet barley. A yeast note makes an appearance mid-stream - no hops to speak of. Finishes with a hair of a smoked peat malt flavor familiar with scottish ales. No off flavors.

M - Moderate to thin body - carbonation is strong enough to be noticeable. Little sensation is left behind.

D - Very easy drinking - abv is manageable, and it is not filling. A bit surprising considering the potent carbonation.

One of the better Olde Main brews - but still a bit pedestrian unfortunately.

08-01-2009 03:14:22 | More by katan
docfootdude

Indiana

1.68/5  rDev -38.5%

After reading the jokes on the label about the brewstaff in Ames, IA drinking the inferior product and the brewmeister wearing a kilt while brewing this selection I felt, sadly, that the joke was on me.

This I drank directly from the bottle. There was an overall sourness and funkiness to this that clouded the entire experience.

The body was thin and watery, there was very little sweetness or maltiness, and the touch of roasted grain didn't do anything to salvage the taste.

This one ended up poured out in my inlaws backyard.

THey're going to have to start over from scratch on this one.

07-08-2009 13:25:23 | More by docfootdude
Icehouse57

4.18/5  rDev +53.1%

Ok, so usually, I find myself in agreement with the rest of my beer-swilling brethren. Not so, in this case I guess. I myself, LOVE a good Scottish, and that's what I found this to be....

Appearance= I was very pleasantly surprised at its appearance.... Dark Amber in color, with a 1/2" tan head that left lace on the side of the glass. Not quite as dark as I was used to in a Scottish, but not too light.

Smell= I also enjoyed the aroma. Toasted malt is exactly what I like in Scottish Ales, and that's what I got here. I picked up on none of the sourness that others have reported... just a very slight nose of hops...almost not detectable....maybe Goldings hops? Maltiness is exactly what a Scottish is supposed to be about though, and that was evident in the aroma, and the...

Taste= Sweet toasty malt. A hint of hops... just enough to kill the super sweetness of the malt. Again, I don't know if I got a different batch, or what the deal may be, but this is EXACTLY what I expect in a good quality Scotthish. I would have like a tiny bit more hops to balance the flavor just a touch more, otherwise it would have been a 5 on taste for me.

Mouthfeel= Somewhat disappointed after the other 2 categories had been so nice. I think it could have been carbonated a little bit less to add to the authenticity of Scottish Ales.

Drinkability= I could see myself having no problems downing 4 or 5 of these in a sitting.

Overall, I'm baffled. Again, I usually agree with the majority of the posters on this site, but I LOVED this beer. I put it in line with St. Andrews Ale. If you haven't had it, I highly suggest you give it a try. I enjoyed it very much also.

06-03-2009 23:35:51 | More by Icehouse57
Blakaeris

2.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours clear red-orange with a thick frothy head that leaves sheets of lacing.

Aroma is minerally, toasted malt. Hints of earthy hop. Yeast has an odd sour musty quality.

Taste is exactly what the nose led me to expect. Toasted malt. Earthy, with some dry woody character. Finish is minerally with a definite sour mustyness that seems off.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied.

There is definitely something off with the disjointed flavor. Not recommended.

04-28-2009 00:28:11 | More by Blakaeris
bashiba

1.53/5  rDev -44%

Poured a deep clear amber with a thick and creamy tan head.

The smell was a bit sour along with some light grains.

The flavor had a light bit of smokey grain, but was quickly taken over by an astringent sourness that ruined the flavor for me.

The mouthfeel was light and thin.

Overall a very poor scottish.

04-28-2009 00:21:32 | More by bashiba
DesMoinesMike

3.28/5  rDev +20.1%

My first review for an Olde Main brand. It's, ok.

The color is a nice red, slightly cloudy. A thin tan head appears then evaporates quickly. The aroma has a nice hint of caramel. Has an intersting malt/hop combo. Slightly hopy at first then a fairly smooth finish. The flavor seems a bit watered down, weak. I'm not ovely impressed.

Edit: I've had a few additional sessions with this brew and have found there to be some quality control isues. I had one bottle that was exceptionally sour to the point I wanted to just dump it. This bottle was promptly replaced. The replacement was nice tasting, with a toffee and malt blend I found very pleasing. It was good I found a small amount of sourness at the very bottom, similar to what I encountered before. There was a finger of beer left so I didn't bother reporting it that time.

04-18-2009 01:46:31 | More by DesMoinesMike
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev +22.7%

drinkable scotch. Cloudy yellow with large white head, neutral to malty aroma, with a bit of peat. Taste is modestly peaty, aggressive carbonation adding to gaziness. and a tad on the thin side. Hops in finish, drying. Thanks CanIHave4Beers for the new state.

01-29-2009 00:40:06 | More by Sammy
BretSikkink

Mexico

2.13/5  rDev -22%

Amber brown color with a little splash of color here and there. The head initially appears quite nice and lushly bubbled, but disappears quickly and the lacing is weak.

I'm really not impressed by the nose. There's a harsh metallic note that supersedes all, a touch of caramel malt, and a dark fruit that actually smells rotten. Terrible.

This is a thin, rank ale that barely passes for beer; style is thrown out the window at this point. The flavor is of a certain amount of caramel (fine) and a larger amount of fermented dark fruit. As in, left in the cupboard or refrigerator until it ferments naturally. As in, rotten. This is brutally bad, and barely drinkable.

The mouthfeel is as bad as everything else; thin and unappealing. The carbonation is harsh and doesn't help the rest of the flavor go down any easier. This is a really, really bad beer.

12-31-2008 06:29:10 | More by BretSikkink
mcox90

New Hampshire

3.03/5  rDev +11%

12 oz bottle. Pours a slightly cloudy dark reddish orange color with a small receding off white head. Aroma is caramel based with an odd metallic background. Mouthfeel is moderate in body with low carbonation. Could use more zip. Although the flavor tries to be a sweet Scottish Ale, there's an odd sour quality about it. Previous raters have mentioned a buttery taste, but I didn't get that. Not real good, but not a drain pour either.

11-24-2008 23:24:15 | More by mcox90
BuckeyeNation

2.23/5  rDev -18.3%

Dark reddish bronze with bright orange trim. An increasingly vigorous pour produced no more than one finger of golden ecru foam... that is cut in half inside of one minute and almost gone inside of two. The head is smooth and unsticky, leaving the glass spotless. Definitely not a good start.

At least the aroma isn't offensive. Since I've suffered through this stuff on-tap, my low expectations are well-earned. Correctly guessing the style if blinded wouldn't be a sure thing. Each sniff delivers steely caramel and maybe a little medium-dark fruit. That's it.

Unlike Long Face Amber, which was noticeably better in the bottle, Off KILT Er Scottish Ale is the same crappy beer that I slogged through up in Ames in the autumn of 2004. Guess it wasn't just a one-time thing.

For starters, there isn't enough barley. The result is a Scottish ale wannabe that is more sour and bitter than sweet. Unforgiveable. Specifics include caramel extract, sour fruit juice, an off-putting earthiness and rancid nuts. I may have been too kind back in '04.

The mouthfeel is pathetic. It's way too thin and the few bubbles that are present are harsh rather than soft. Proper carbonation would have made this a more pleasant experience.

Olde Main Brewing should rename this beer and should use the old name as the brewpub's new name. When most of your beer is so incredibly off kilter, why not call yourselves Off Kilter Brewing Company so that people know what they're signing up for when they come in the front door. Too bad they didn't put as much effort into the beer as they put into the labels.

11-12-2008 14:23:26 | More by BuckeyeNation
mithrascruor

2.42/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap, poured into a pint glass.

This is certainly Olde Main's most inconsistant beer. I've had it many times (including weeks in a row over a couple months). Pours a dark-ish amber color with a thin head, though it's hard to get an accurate impression with the lighting in the bar. Sometimes the smell and taste is extremely buttery -- sometimes it's extremely smokey. Rarely is it in-between. Either way, there's still a strong malty flavor to the beer, but the buttery or smokey flavor is usually so strong that it is very distracting. Medium-bodied and goes down alright... but just if you take my recommendation of having this toward the beginning of your session or with an appetizer.

With all due respect, rather than keeping this as a year-round beer, Olde Main should make this a seasonal beer with more quality control (and replace the year-round space with the Downtown Honey Brown!). Their only beer I'll think twice about before ordering.

12-17-2006 07:47:48 | More by mithrascruor
beragg

2.25/5  rDev -17.6%

This beer let me down. After the stout, I was really feeling good about this place. This let me down. This beer had no aroma. It taste was not good. It had a horrible aftertaste. I couldn't even finish one glass. I've heard that they had trouble with the latest batch and that the next one will be better. I hope so, and I trust them after their stout and their wheat beers, I really can't wait for them to fix all the kinks in their recipes. It' great to have a place like this in Ames.

11-01-2004 23:43:32 | More by beragg
bditty187

Nebraska

3.4/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear, ruby-amber in hue with a rusty copper highlight, no animation was noticeable. The head was slightly off-white in color; it was served with a modest half finger of foam, which quickly faded to a thin cap, naked in spots. Subsequent lacing was spotty and not widespread. This beer is pleasant enough to look at, nothing too noteworthy about the appearance though. The nose is airy, mineraly with a strange trace of butter. Malt is in play as well. Clean. It doesn’t really say much. It is neither good nor bad, thus it is not inviting. Sure it is okay to smell but a bouquet should at least clue the drinker in as to what is in the glass. This one fails to do so. The palate is much better than the nose, it has flavor for one thing! There is a good malty taste that is typical for the style. The menu says “Scottish” but this seems a little bigger but not really “Wee Heavy” either. It falls somewhere in-between. Anyway, the palate has some caramely sweetness, even a hint of smoky char (very faint). At the back is a trace of earthiness (hops maybe?). Toffee. I want to say peat but I might be being suggestible. Regardless the palate is simple but tasty, it is pleasant enough. However, there is some butteriness in the aftertaste and this gets a little annoying. Medium in body, modest but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is pleasant but routine. It is drinkable to a point, maybe a “one pint a night” type of beer while at the brewpub. It really isn’t that memorable but it is worthy a try.

10-10-2004 16:51:48 | More by bditty187