Follow our progress ...

Reindeer Fuel Chocolate PorterReindeer Fuel Chocolate Porter

Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant
Iowa, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

One word: Chocoliciousness. Brewed with a healthy dose of chocolate malt, this ale is rich and smooth. Copious amounts of semi-sweet Bavarian chocolate are then tempered and added to this brew, infusing it with and even more intense chocolate aroma and flavor – perfect for dessert! (or breakfast, or lunch, or a snack…).

Added by mithrascruor on 12-17-2006

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 6
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Served on-tap in a pint glass.

Extremely dark beer with a nice tan head. At some point in the brewing process the brewer adds something like 40 lbs. of chocolate (I forget the exact details of what he's told me). Has a wonderful aroma of chocolate (somewhere between milk and dark) against a malty background. The taste is somewhat reversed: a solid roasted-malt porter with nice chocolate tones following. Medium-bodied and quite smooth. I, for one, absolutely detest dark chocolate and can only stand a moderate amount of chocolate as a whole. Yet this beer manages to keep me engaged and not overwhelmed. Interestingly, some friends who love chocolate and generally dislike beer have enjoyed this one.

I feel strange giving this such a high review, but it's honestly a really nice beer. At a store I probably wouldn't buy a chocolate beer of any type, but I certainly will at Olde Main when it's available (...or take one of their generous samplers!).

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%

This was definitely the best chocolate beer I have every had. It like drinking liquid chocolate with a hint of alcohol. I hope they make it again. I know a while back they did a survey to decide which other beer to bottle. If I remember correctly, this one came in second place.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

Reindeer Fuel Chocolate Porter from Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.