Follow our progress ...

Style: American Barleywine

Added by John_M on 08-26-2013

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 5
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

On tap at the Bier Stein the other day.

The beer pours a fairly dark amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is quite sweet and malty in this one, and I get barely a trace of the dry citrus from the 100 IBU this beer is supposed to have. This one of the maltiest beers I can recall smelling, as I pick up considerable caramel, light malted vinegar, marachino cherry and sweet sherry. There's something of a nuttiness to th aroma as well, the sort of aroma I normally associate with an old aged ale. The flavor profile replicates the nose in this rich, intensely flavored BW, though I do pick up some bitterness at the end of long, rich finish. Mouthfeel is quite full, but with no more than a touch of heat from the 10% abv. The finish is very, very long in this excellent, well made BW.

This is a very fine BW, but it seems a bit odd to encounter it in late August, rather than December of January. This would be a great after dinner drink, to be savored in from of roaring fire on a cold winter night. It wasn't bad in August at the Bier Stein, but I think it would be terrific in the dead of winter.

Trainwreck Barleywine from Silver Moon Brewing
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.