Innis & Gunn Scottish Porter - Innis & Gunn

good

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  7.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Segelstrom on 10-13-2013)
Reviews by djrn2:

djrn2, Nov 14, 2013
3.96/5  rDev +12.2%

A = Deep red brown, short-lived soapy head, with very slight lacing.

S = This one I smell bourbon whiskey, and some "burnt sugar" courtesy of the "molasses added." I like it.

T = I definitely taste the burnt sugar/whiskey. It is full-bodied, but doesn't leave a nasty aftertaste.

M = Medium bodied, lightly carbonated. The "molasses added" suggests syrupiness, but it really isn't.

O = I really like this porter, but because of the molasses and 7.4% alcohol, it wouldn't be a regular for me. I think it would food pair nicely with baby back ribs smothered in a sweet barbecue sauce, cole slaw, and a baked potato and/or corn on the cob. Enjoy!

ThisLadyLovesBeer, Feb 14, 2014

BuckeyeSlim, Mar 01, 2014
2.54/5  rDev -28%

Looks more like a barleywine than a porter dark crimson ruby brown appearance, light khaki tan head forms fine lacing down the sides of my glass. Aroma has sweet brown sugar, glazed apple, a hint of spice, alcohol and oak barrel aging effects. The first sip is cloying all day, alcohol burn at only 7.4% that's just sad with a watery beer supposedly aged on oak to "unlock the flavor". These guys are brewing half ass beer, so far nothing I've had from them have been nearly acceptable to call this base beer a porter is sacrilege. There's no rounded sweetness this is really harsh on the palate flavor and mouthfeel, watery texture with these big oak character with alcohol levels that are unrelenting for such a modest abv, just unbalanced. Overall a no go for me, it's going to make picking out another Innis and Gunn to try that much harder.

WVbeergeek, Dec 07, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

acurtis, Apr 17, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

DCHritz, Jul 28, 2014

dertyd, Jan 05, 2014
2.63/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a half finger of head on a clear brown colored body.
The aroma smells like caramel candy. That's it.
The taste is caramel sweet overall with some bitter metallic notes in the middle. It's not particularly pleasing.
The texture is thin with moderate carbonation.
I did not enjoy this beer.

Fatehunter, Apr 30, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Hessian257, May 29, 2014

grahuba, Apr 19, 2014
3.66/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

So I'm reviewing this a porter but I really don't think of this as one. It pours like a dark brown ale with minimal head. Doesn't look like any porter I've ever had. The smell is all sweet molasses which right out of the gate I know this isn't going to work for me since I love true porters and molasses doesn't seem like a good fit. I will say they taste isn't all that bad. The molasses is obviously there with hints of oak and vanilla like there other brews. It does have a small porter bitterness/burnt aftertaste, but you really have to be searching for it. Overall if this was considered a dark ale with molasses I'd think much more of this but since they want it to be a porter I'll rate it as a porter which is maybe a little better than I thought but still nothing I'd buy again.

sjones5045, Nov 02, 2013

Reaudribion, Jul 17, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

Thejoe1027, Jun 22, 2014
3.91/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This brew pours a deep mahogany amber with thin white head, dying down to a thin pond of white foam and light lacing. Nose is of molasses, toffee, crème Brule, a hint of dark fruit, and light oak. Taste is sweet caramel malts up front, medium amber molasses, oak in the back and a light sherry like texture. A light chocolate finish mixing with mild bittering hops on the aftertaste makes this a most excellent brew. I am becoming a fan of Innis and Gunn, and will definitely have them again when the opportunity arises.

Cheers!

Brutaltruth, Jul 26, 2014

mmink27, Oct 20, 2013
3.24/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From the 330 ml. bottle. Sampled on November 15, 2013.

It has a mahogany brown to dark amber pour with a head that lasts for a second and completely dissolves and relatively good clarity.

The nose has some chocolate malts and the oak barrel mustiness with a little vanilla thrown in, molasses, and bread. Once I figure out it was molasses I found it to be a bit more acceptable.

The body is less than medium.

The taste has a lightly roasted malt character but it is more overwhelmed by the vanilla or molasses. The alcohol could be better integrated because it had a slight boozy feel. No smoke like I like in Porters.

puboflyons, Nov 16, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

first to review this beer. wife got there first but couldn't find listing so I get to jump on it. this is an oak aged porter with molasses added. it is good but not one of I&G better offerings. doesn't seem to be as full bodied as our domestic porters. has a nice rich floral smell. can't say that I detected the presence of the molasses.

Segelstrom, Oct 13, 2013