Innis & Gunn Bourbon Stout - Innis & Gunn

Beer added by: biboergosum on 10-19-2013

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

If you're looking for a Bourbon Barrel Aged American Double Stout, look elsewhere. But if you take it for what it is, it's pretty tasty.

Deep red, thick head dissipated fairly quickly but left a ring all the way down the glass.
Smells of brown sugar, nuts, vanilla.
Taste: sweet, slightly smoky, slightly boozy, dark fruits. The bourbon comes out more as the beer warms, but never dominates. Something about the sweetness and booze reminds me of a not-quite-as-good Yorkshire Stingo.
Great creamy mouthfeel, with a nice prickly carbonation.

This is my favorite of the Innis & Gunn beers I've had, and would happily drink again.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured into HF stemware

A-Black with a reddish hue that shows through when held up to light. inch foamy white head. Thick lacing that clings to the glass (4.0)

S-sweet chocolate and bourbon and faint oak, molasses, vanilla, caramel (3.5)

T-Very sweet, quite a bit of chocolate mild booze and oak, slight metallic taste, a good dose of molasses , caramel, vanilla, lingering sweetness (3.0)

M-failrly thick, low carbonation, (3.0)

O-decent beer a bit too sweet as the molasses seems to dominate the finish . almost on the verge of drinking flat soda( or a watered down Jack and coke that sat out for a while and went flat. Certainly couldn't drink many of these due to the overly sweet flavors (3.25)

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

3.06/5  rDev -17.7%

The beer is decent, as it warms it produces more bourbon notes. This in no way is a top of the line BB stout as it's simply aged on bourbon chips but for $8.99 it's worth a look to fill the BB craving one has with the light wallet.

Bottom Line: Would I buy it again...nah.

4.92/5  rDev +32.3%

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

From bottle at home. Pours a very active glass full. Thick rich head which leaves no negligible lace. Aroma is a bit weird. Slight smoke/peat which is virtually non-existent in the taste. Chocolate dominates the flavor with a smooth bourbon essence towards the end. The chocolate lingers and the rest dissolves due to a light viscosity.

In the end I enjoyed it. A 7.4 ABV is respectable as was the moderate price. Now let's see how long it's available.

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Innis & Gunn Bourbon Stout a couple weeks ago for $6.99 at The lager Mill. I've never had a red stout before let alone a bourbon aged version and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 20.3oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's pretty similar to their other beers, but the barrel themed box this beer comes in makes it eye catching. It poured a dark brown color that took on a little bit of crimson and ruby colored hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy darker tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of sticky lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the bourbon being the first to show up and it imparts a nice combination of vanilla and oak aromas with a little bit of those bourbon like aromas coming through and it seems like the vanilla sticks out the most. Up next comes the malts which imparts lots of English malt flavors with some caramel, sweet malt, toffee. candied aroma and light butterscotch aromas coming through and there's an English ale yeast like aroma coming through in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, but it was a little less on the sweet side to me.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time there's just a little bit of roasted and very light chocolate like aspects. Up next comes the bourbon which impart the same aspects that it did in the aroma, but they are lighter and the vanilla still sticks out the most. On the finish comes the English ale yeast along with pretty much no bitterness and it had a sweet, caramel, vanilla and very light bourbon like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I thought the sweetness held this beer back a little, it it's not as roasty as a regular stout so it shouldn't be as sweet as an imperial stout.

M- Smooth, crisp, slightly cloying, a little sticky, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was a little thicker with a little less carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought this was a nice example of Bourbon Red Stout, I don't think I've ever had a red stout before, so I can't be too sure about this, but as far as I can tell it lived up to it's description and it felt like it was somewhere between a amber ale and stout. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, slightly cloying, a little sticky, not too filling and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, one full bottle might be just a little too much for because of the sweetness. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a good looking beer. What I like the least about this beer was the drinkability, I just think the sweetness would really start to wear on me after awhile. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it was nice to try, but I don't really have the urge to revisit it anytime soon. I would recommend it if you like malty English ales and bourbon aspects in your beer, but I wouldn't recommend it as a good beer. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery it falls about right in the middle and the same goes for the style. All in all I didn't mind this beer and it had some good aspect to it, but it also had some aspects that I hurt and I feel like I could go either way with this beer. I appreciate the effort it took take make this beer and I hope to see more unique beers from this brewery in the future, keep up the solid work.

Deep mahogany in color, but neither black nor opaque. A half-inch head leaves some spotty lacing behind. Aroma is sugary with tons of oak and vanilla, so much so that it smells "fake." Almost no roast malt character, though there is plenty of sweet candy and toffee aroma.

Flavor profile is unfortunately cloyingly sweet. Some smoke character toward the finish is the other thing that would suggest this is a stout, otherwise this would more accurately be classified as a Scottish/Scotch Ale. Mouthfeel is slick, not at all viscous. There is plenty of oak character, but it can't be enjoyed in the presence of an overbearing amount of residual sugars.

Hardly a stout, this is like a way too sweet and syrupy take on Innis and Gunn Rum Cask. Avoid.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%