Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged BeerInnis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003)

beergod82, Feb 13, 2014

bunruh, May 31, 2014

trixdout, Nov 14, 2011

rkay3, Nov 17, 2011

jaidenjb, Nov 18, 2011

I feel bad my first review giving everything a 5. But, this is the closest beer I've ever had to perfection. It is just incredible. The aroma especially is astounding, toffee, caramel. The colour and appearance is fantastic, I particularly like the unique bottle shape which seems to work well with the label to compliment the golden, sweet nature of the beer.

Fine carbonation as well serves for a basically perfect beer.

Squancho, Mar 26, 2012

OzmanBey, Dec 06, 2011

JIsaacMcKelvey, Nov 20, 2012

hotsudge, Nov 21, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +30%

I picked this up on a whim at a local liquor store; a bit pricey at $5.99 for a 33cl bottle, but I gave it a try.

I was quite impressed by the appearance, due to the clear bottle making the dark golden syrup so apparent. At the same time, I was somewhat bothered by the lack of a protective brown hue - hoping the light had not troubled it's precious content.

So, I chilled it down to 50F or so and poured it into a normal glass. My. God. I was floored. I was unaware that any beer could taste like that. It was smooth, beautiful, and had notes of vanilla, oak, honey, with malty overtones and a slight toffee aftertaste. Simply gorgeous.

The only fault I could find with it is it could use a slightly better mouthfeel - a bit thicker, I think, would suit it well.

Since then, I treat myself as often as possible to this sweet nectar. My only complaint is that it is not sold in 6 packs.

Stephonovich, Oct 20, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +29.4%

It was a miraculous thing for me in 2004, the first time I ever tried an Innis & Gunn; I was enjoying a beer and a meal at my favorite restaurant and beer bar in Toronto, the Beer Bistro. At the time I was just getting into real beer, and the Beer Bistro was the catalyst for that new found passion (obsession). Around then I was just beginning to learn the differences between mass produced commercial beer and craft made beer; there was really no better place for me to do that either. Then one night not unlike any other a beer caught my eye on the expansive beer menu called Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer, which explained that it had been aged in previously used oak whisky barrels. Now, while this may sound very commonplace these days to the avid beer connoisseur, in 2004 oak ageing was still very fresh, and to me it was exceptionally exciting. There wasn't really a question in my mind; I really loved whisky, so I had to try this beer.

If the Beer Bistro was the catalyst for my ascent to beer appreciation, then the Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer without a question was my guide. The first time I enjoyed this beer (and still every time) it absolutely floored me! I was then beginning to learn about and appreciate all the flavors that beer could posses, and the Innis & Gunn came along and just swept me off my feet! I was speechless, even still I am in awe of how delicious and fantastic this beer is. In fact, I have spent the last 6 years introducing my friends to Innis & Gunn and explaining to them why it is so exceptional - yet somehow, right now I am completely dumbfounded trying to explain why I love it so much! I think I know how to fix this predicament though; this calls for a fresh cool Original Innis & Gunn!

The Innis & Gunn is served in a beautiful clean custom bottle designed specifically for the brewery. It's a standard 341ml bottle with a wide stance and engravings which surround the now red and silver label. It is also available in 750ml bottles as show here. The clear bottle allows your most immediate senses to see just how stunning the beer is; it's a very rich red oak with a glimmer of gold and yellow to mahogany finish. It pours just as smooth and beautifully lifting a small half inch head which slowly will fade to almost nothing.

I do love pretty much everything about this beer, and the sight of it draws me in close. The nose is fantastic. Right away it's filled with sweet caramel, butterscotch candy, and warm oak; then lingers with fresh bread, light malt, and a light and sweet whisky finish. It's so tantalizing and fresh, there's very little hop if any on the nose, and it just smells like it's going to be so delicious!

As you bring the beer close to enjoy it, the nose gets richer and richer and begins to tease your palate. The Innis & Gunn flows gently on your palate and lifts your tongue into a wave of vanilla, toffee, butterscotch, warm oak, light spice, whisky malt, juicy apple and pear, with a light and crisp citrus hop finish. It's not overpowering or aggressive, it is 6.6% alcohol, and it carries it perfectly lending some strength to the whisky-like malt sweetness which makes this beer so unique. The candy sweet butterscotch, biscuit and warm oak is so delicious across the palate and also perfectly balanced that even still the beer makes my mouth water. It's not just all the flavor that I love its how incredibly distinct it is.

The finish is also sweet and filled with vanilla, but a touch of citrusy fresh hops creates a truly quenching and refreshing beer which I have enjoyed fully in the summer and also in the winter. I have also found some exceptional food pairings for the Innis & Gunn; almost all cheeses, deserts, hamburgers, roast chicken, BBQ, and more all work so well with this beautiful beer. I've made BBQ sauce out of it, marinated beef in it, turned it into a salad dressing, and made a caramel glaze with it. The Innis & Gunn is truly remarkable on many levels.

For these reasons and more, I always try to introduce people to this magical beer if they have not yet had the pleasure. People constantly tell me that they don't like beer, or that they haven't found one that they can really enjoy all the time. Well, I have the antithesis for those people, and it's aged in oak barrels!

StephenRich, Aug 23, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +28.6%

A: Dark amber, yellowish head.
S: Butter, hint of berries, caramel.
T: Smoke, oak, buttery taste, not so much bitterness. After taste of butter, caramel and oak.
M: Not too much carboration, lots of body. Aged in oak casks, which is evident in the taste. Almost like a whiskey. Very smooth. An excentric beer. Haven't tasted anything like it.

For the swedes: think rotmos (mashed turnip) as you drink it. Meal in a drink.

Hammarby, Nov 26, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +28.6%

Appearence: Innis & Gunn is a medium honey brown in color, with a thin white head that stays a while, leaving a thin lace.

Smell: Very good, sweet, malty and smoky, all at the same time.

Taste: Way above average (in my book), again sweet and malty, and you can definately taste the oaky smokiness of the barrells it was aged in.

Mouth feel: Very smooth, light on the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very east to drink, smooth and clean. All the different flavors blend well.

A little on the expensive side, but all in all this is my favorite beer, out of all the beers I have tried. Highly recommended.

junkman203, May 12, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +26.8%

Sampled at the International Great Beer Expo, Rock Hill, NY.

Definitely my favorite of the afternoon. Pours a dark, tea like color. Very small head but good lacing. Very strong but pleasant aroma of malt and a hint of vanilla.

Very smooth tasting. A hint of bourbon and possibly vanilla. I can't stress how much I liked this beer.

This cannot be compared to traditional brews of any sort. It has a full mouthfeel and definitely not a session beer. A great beer for one or two on a cold night.

Nascartailgatefa, Jul 26, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +26.8%

Appearance- dark orange to amber in color with a few small light bubbles streaming, small thin white head quickly fades, slight sediment could be seen,

Smell- strong malty smell, to me dominated by almost a light sweet espresso smell, vanilla, toffee and cream

Taste- very unique flavor actually for what you would ever expect from any circumstance in an english pale ale, a beautiful balance in both sweetness and a very slight hop bitterness that keeps that sugar in chech, definite vanilla and toffee flavors with also a slight noticeable wood from the oak, its overall a very sweet beer but really in a good way,this is a very complex and unique flavored beer to me but overall more then anything just very tasty,

Mouthfeel- very smooth and light to little carbonation, almost creamy smooth ness

Drinkability- I actually only wish this beer was a bit cheaper cuz I find this to be an amazing session beer though touch strong, its just so smooth and balanced, I really really enjoy the balance in this beer, the oak imparts a very nice smoothness and complexity, a beer I really do enjoy and would recommend as something worth trying for beer fans just out the unique flavor profile alone,

Stunner97, Mar 16, 2010