Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003

Reviews: 431 | Hads: 1,006

I feel bad my first review giving everything a 5. But, this is the closest beer I've ever had to perfection. It is just incredible. The aroma especially is astounding, toffee, caramel. The colour and appearance is fantastic, I particularly like the unique bottle shape which seems to work well with the label to compliment the golden, sweet nature of the beer.

Fine carbonation as well serves for a basically perfect beer.

4.9/5  rDev +30%

I picked this up on a whim at a local liquor store; a bit pricey at $5.99 for a 33cl bottle, but I gave it a try.

I was quite impressed by the appearance, due to the clear bottle making the dark golden syrup so apparent. At the same time, I was somewhat bothered by the lack of a protective brown hue - hoping the light had not troubled it's precious content.

So, I chilled it down to 50F or so and poured it into a normal glass. My. God. I was floored. I was unaware that any beer could taste like that. It was smooth, beautiful, and had notes of vanilla, oak, honey, with malty overtones and a slight toffee aftertaste. Simply gorgeous.

The only fault I could find with it is it could use a slightly better mouthfeel - a bit thicker, I think, would suit it well.

Since then, I treat myself as often as possible to this sweet nectar. My only complaint is that it is not sold in 6 packs.

4.87/5  rDev +29.2%

It was a miraculous thing for me in 2004, the first time I ever tried an Innis & Gunn; I was enjoying a beer and a meal at my favorite restaurant and beer bar in Toronto, the Beer Bistro. At the time I was just getting into real beer, and the Beer Bistro was the catalyst for that new found passion (obsession). Around then I was just beginning to learn the differences between mass produced commercial beer and craft made beer; there was really no better place for me to do that either. Then one night not unlike any other a beer caught my eye on the expansive beer menu called Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer, which explained that it had been aged in previously used oak whisky barrels. Now, while this may sound very commonplace these days to the avid beer connoisseur, in 2004 oak ageing was still very fresh, and to me it was exceptionally exciting. There wasn't really a question in my mind; I really loved whisky, so I had to try this beer.

If the Beer Bistro was the catalyst for my ascent to beer appreciation, then the Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer without a question was my guide. The first time I enjoyed this beer (and still every time) it absolutely floored me! I was then beginning to learn about and appreciate all the flavors that beer could posses, and the Innis & Gunn came along and just swept me off my feet! I was speechless, even still I am in awe of how delicious and fantastic this beer is. In fact, I have spent the last 6 years introducing my friends to Innis & Gunn and explaining to them why it is so exceptional - yet somehow, right now I am completely dumbfounded trying to explain why I love it so much! I think I know how to fix this predicament though; this calls for a fresh cool Original Innis & Gunn!

The Innis & Gunn is served in a beautiful clean custom bottle designed specifically for the brewery. It's a standard 341ml bottle with a wide stance and engravings which surround the now red and silver label. It is also available in 750ml bottles as show here. The clear bottle allows your most immediate senses to see just how stunning the beer is; it's a very rich red oak with a glimmer of gold and yellow to mahogany finish. It pours just as smooth and beautifully lifting a small half inch head which slowly will fade to almost nothing.

I do love pretty much everything about this beer, and the sight of it draws me in close. The nose is fantastic. Right away it's filled with sweet caramel, butterscotch candy, and warm oak; then lingers with fresh bread, light malt, and a light and sweet whisky finish. It's so tantalizing and fresh, there's very little hop if any on the nose, and it just smells like it's going to be so delicious!

As you bring the beer close to enjoy it, the nose gets richer and richer and begins to tease your palate. The Innis & Gunn flows gently on your palate and lifts your tongue into a wave of vanilla, toffee, butterscotch, warm oak, light spice, whisky malt, juicy apple and pear, with a light and crisp citrus hop finish. It's not overpowering or aggressive, it is 6.6% alcohol, and it carries it perfectly lending some strength to the whisky-like malt sweetness which makes this beer so unique. The candy sweet butterscotch, biscuit and warm oak is so delicious across the palate and also perfectly balanced that even still the beer makes my mouth water. It's not just all the flavor that I love its how incredibly distinct it is.

The finish is also sweet and filled with vanilla, but a touch of citrusy fresh hops creates a truly quenching and refreshing beer which I have enjoyed fully in the summer and also in the winter. I have also found some exceptional food pairings for the Innis & Gunn; almost all cheeses, deserts, hamburgers, roast chicken, BBQ, and more all work so well with this beautiful beer. I've made BBQ sauce out of it, marinated beef in it, turned it into a salad dressing, and made a caramel glaze with it. The Innis & Gunn is truly remarkable on many levels.

For these reasons and more, I always try to introduce people to this magical beer if they have not yet had the pleasure. People constantly tell me that they don't like beer, or that they haven't found one that they can really enjoy all the time. Well, I have the antithesis for those people, and it's aged in oak barrels!

4.84/5  rDev +28.4%

A: Dark amber, yellowish head.
S: Butter, hint of berries, caramel.
T: Smoke, oak, buttery taste, not so much bitterness. After taste of butter, caramel and oak.
M: Not too much carboration, lots of body. Aged in oak casks, which is evident in the taste. Almost like a whiskey. Very smooth. An excentric beer. Haven't tasted anything like it.

For the swedes: think rotmos (mashed turnip) as you drink it. Meal in a drink.

4.83/5  rDev +28.1%

Appearence: Innis & Gunn is a medium honey brown in color, with a thin white head that stays a while, leaving a thin lace.

Smell: Very good, sweet, malty and smoky, all at the same time.

Taste: Way above average (in my book), again sweet and malty, and you can definately taste the oaky smokiness of the barrells it was aged in.

Mouth feel: Very smooth, light on the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very east to drink, smooth and clean. All the different flavors blend well.

A little on the expensive side, but all in all this is my favorite beer, out of all the beers I have tried. Highly recommended.

4.77/5  rDev +26.5%

Sampled at the International Great Beer Expo, Rock Hill, NY.

Definitely my favorite of the afternoon. Pours a dark, tea like color. Very small head but good lacing. Very strong but pleasant aroma of malt and a hint of vanilla.

Very smooth tasting. A hint of bourbon and possibly vanilla. I can't stress how much I liked this beer.

This cannot be compared to traditional brews of any sort. It has a full mouthfeel and definitely not a session beer. A great beer for one or two on a cold night.

4.74/5  rDev +25.7%

Appearance- dark orange to amber in color with a few small light bubbles streaming, small thin white head quickly fades, slight sediment could be seen,

Smell- strong malty smell, to me dominated by almost a light sweet espresso smell, vanilla, toffee and cream

Taste- very unique flavor actually for what you would ever expect from any circumstance in an english pale ale, a beautiful balance in both sweetness and a very slight hop bitterness that keeps that sugar in chech, definite vanilla and toffee flavors with also a slight noticeable wood from the oak, its overall a very sweet beer but really in a good way,this is a very complex and unique flavored beer to me but overall more then anything just very tasty,

Mouthfeel- very smooth and light to little carbonation, almost creamy smooth ness

Drinkability- I actually only wish this beer was a bit cheaper cuz I find this to be an amazing session beer though touch strong, its just so smooth and balanced, I really really enjoy the balance in this beer, the oak imparts a very nice smoothness and complexity, a beer I really do enjoy and would recommend as something worth trying for beer fans just out the unique flavor profile alone,

4.69/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Reddish-Amber color. Looks very alive. Good amount of white head and lots of lacing.

Smell: Sweet. Toffee, Almonds, Vanilla ... Always reminds me of a campfire.

Taste: Tastest as it smells with the addition of cherries.

Mouthfeel: Feels very alive. Carbonation is spot on.

Drinkability: One of my favorites. I always look forward to it. No weird after-taste and never offends.

330mL bottle.

4.62/5  rDev +22.5%

Grabbed the giftpack. I couldn't resist.

Wow. I like this.
Nice touch of sweet malt up front with a dry oaky finish. Good notes of toffee, caramel, and vanilla. Light boozy bite on the backend.
The beer is bright and clear. Coppery orange body. Smal head, no retention, no real lacing.
The body is medium and creamy feeling. Very nice.

I hope more of this beer is imported-- in solid boxes to prevent this from being lightstruck!

4.62/5  rDev +22.5%

Appearance.- Nice orange amber color, with low head.

Smell.-Bourbon almost whiskey like aroma.

Taste.- Sweet, vanilla and oaked perfectly with toffee notes.

Mouthfeel.- Light body, low carbonation.

Overall.- A great beer this is one of my favorite.

4.61/5  rDev +22.3%

appearance; foamy white head, dissipates at a moderate pace to a film, little lacing. Clear copper in color.

smell; toasty, caramel malt, sweet hints of vanilla and toffee. A bit of scotch aromas and dry grain.

taste; absolutly delicious vanilla extract diluted in milk. Slightly bitter hops and toffee balance nicely. Definite woody flavors that one finds in Scotch whiskey mingled with alcohol, somewhat nutty and rich.

mouthfeel; very rich but smooth and light. Perfect example of medium bodied. A bit creamy in the finish leaving a warmth in the aftertaste.

overall; a fantastic beer, my 1# pick for the style.

4.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Drank on 4/5/2012
From bottle to pint glass (twice)

Appearance: A beautiful translucent amber gold that reminds be of a bourbon color. A half inch head with no lacing and rapid dissolve of CO2.

Smell: An earthy strong oak smell. Hints of vanilla and a flowery scent. Caramel and sugar for sure.

Mouthfeel & taste: Very light, nice "tingly" feel on the complete progression of palate. Stronger Vanilla taste on the back end. Earth oak taste on the front. Sweet taste throughout. Strong alcohol taste later once the beer is allowed to settle.

Overall: A fantastic beer that I shall return to. Maybe try the rum cask one.

4.6/5  rDev +22%

This beer..you can drink it 10,000 different times and pick up something else that you like about it every time you drink it. I highly suggest drinking this beer if you like a beer that has a hint of Oak and a smooth after taste, also try this with any kind of buttery meal (Ie a steak with butter on it or a pork chop with mash potatoes and butter)...Cheers

4.59/5  rDev +21.8%

This is one fine beer. Maybe one of the most flavorful and smooth beers I have ever tasted. Nice caramel color with white bubbles. Aroma is is like brown sugar- very sweet, with hints of oak and wood. Flavor profile at first was outstanding, sweet, chewy, malty and bready, with molasses and a rich woody aftertaste. The wood aging really seems to mellow this out. My only slightly negative feeling, was that it may have been too sweet- I would like to see a little more balance. But in the end, an experience.

4.59/5  rDev +21.8%

The beer pours a dark golden/amber color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is perfect. It has a kick ass oak character along with some pale and light crystal malts. It's creamy and buttery. I don't think I've ever experienced an aroma like this before; AWESOME! The taste is much the same. It's incredibly smooth with a basic pale and crystal malt base. The yeast creates a bit of fruity esters and the oak dominates and creates a wonderfully buttery mouthfeel. It's a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a terrific beer. I've gotta get a case of this stuff soon.

4.56/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Don't understand some of these lower ratings.
This is an exceptional ale that is good on the nose as well as the palate. It blends notes of honey, malt and fruit with smooth aromatic hints of bitters.
Great beer.....get it....drink it....enjoy!!

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

I've had a few bottles of this stretched over the last year or so, and each is always just a shade different.

What a beautiful colour on this beer, which you can see right in the clear bottle. When poured, it forms a head a bit creamier than you might expect, and it sticks around for a couple of minutes. Even when most of it dissipates, a thin amount of head remains.

This is one of the few bottled/canned beers (out of the 150 or so I've tried) whose aroma has something different/special to offer. It's lighter than the flavour... a bit sharper. You can already smell the vanilla/toffee components.

I love the taste of this beer. Depending on the bottle (or perhaps other factors) it sometimes has a scotch-like aftertaste. There's a definite woodiness, combined with vanilla, toffee. While all those flavours help to explain it, the total package really is something special and unique.

The mouthfeel is good, but it isn't exceptional. Everything about the feel is good... nothing bad... nothing overly awesome, though, either.

This is one of my favourite beers (if not my most favourite). I love the look, smell, taste, the complexity, and the uniqueness of it. Out of all the different beers I've had, this is one of the very few I re-purchase when I go "International Beer Shopping" on the mainland.

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

A - Clear medium amber/copper body with a fair amount of carbonation and a wonderful creamy off-white head. Nice lacing and good head retention.

S - Strong notes of vanilla, toffee and a good amount of oakiness in the smell. Loads of malts and not much in the way of hops. Some alcohol is also noticeable.

T - Starts with a fairly sweet, vanilla and toffee (or butterscotch) maltness, with a nice oak character and a bit of alcohol. A touch of bitterness and a very slight hint of cherry. The finish is woody and a bit sweet and dry. After a while, the whisky flavours start to come out more and more and linger throughout the aftertaste as well.

M - Medium-bodied, with some crisp carbonation. The oak taste covers the palate and provides for quite a unique sensation in a beer. You can also get a warming sensation out of it.

D - Quite good, but should be enjoyed in moderation. One can have a couple bottles, though, without worrying about getting a huge buzz.

All in all, Innis & Gunn is an oustanding beer, giving you quite a unique drinking experience. Highly recommended!

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

Appearance - from the bottle into a tulip and left me wanting for nothing, amber thick lacing.

Smell- Wood, oak mainly and a hint of pine with some honey and fig.

Taste- increadibly unique. A bit of malt flavored oak. A dose of wiskey and a hint of bread. A very spicy beer for the level of malt and sweet. A truely new taste. I'm grateful.

Mouthfeel- for the lvl of mild spice there is a greatly appreciated zing! There is a bit of boozyness too. Relatively thin. Pleasant.

Overall- A must. This and their rum cask are two must tries. However their rum cask is superior. Don't pass on either, you'll be cheating yourself.

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

A pleasure to come across this stuff. Not the limited edition, apparently their regular run, the 2004 IBC Supreme Champ. Classy embossed bottle, albeit clear. Best before date on bottle states Feb of '06.

Pours out a clear caramel hued amber, not much head on the pour, but a thin layer of retention that struggles to cling on. The aroma on this ale is a knock-out, truly impressive. Whiskey is what immediately greets the nose, sour mash bourbon no doubt, accompanied by a rich toffee, wood and peat characteristics, finished with some citrus. Wow. The flavour is just as good. Earthy wood notes with some sour whiskey, dates and currents blending in the middle with some vanilla bean, with a mild dried fruit finish accompanied by lemon, and a lip-smacking vanilla aftertaste. Wow. The mouthfeel is light, smooth and velvety, I had expected a denser texture for the flavour, but this makes for an easier quaffer, in fact deceptively easy to drink for the abv%. Easily a fine session ale, I am incredibly pleased to have stumbled across some of this, and will be stocking up on a lot more in the near future. Will recommend it highly to my friends, and anyone else who'll listen as well. My lips are coated with vanilla bean oil at the moment as I find myself at the bottom of the glass, I am very content.

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

Not sure how old this bottle is, but whoever knows...
Dark coppery though I can see the pink elephants on the other side of my tuley through it. Little head, a ring of carb and a bit dancing bout the midsection. Clutches the glass at every tilt.
Vanilla and toffee, some alcohol and floral hops. An extremely unique pale ale smell. Pretty incredible. Surprised about the booze.
On the sweet side, with caramel/molasses on the finish lingering as the vanilla fades away. A little tannic harshness, but complimenetary and delightful. Damn. Good shit.
Very rich and full flavor in this beer. Sweet with a balanced harsh/bitter component. Will be sampling again very soon.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

This is one of our ideal beers. Very full body with a full mouth feel. Notes of vanilla, whiskey, oak, & smokiness. Medium head when poured into a glass, on top of a amber beer that is like stained glass. Best to drink around 45 degrees to release the natural flavour and aroma of the beer.

For more please check out our video with Innis and Gunn at the International Great Beer Expo NJ 2012

4.49/5  rDev +19.1%

A friend of mine raved about this beer, so I had to try it out. At approx. $4 a bottle, it's not cheap. It is, however, well worth the money.

Nothing really notable about the appearance except that it's a leather-tan color with minimal head. From the first sniff after opening the bottle, it seemed like a typical Scotch/English ale, but after pouring it into a pint glass, the aroma really opened up. The bottle describes the beer as being aged in "oak barrels traditionally used to mature malt whisky", and I think that sums up the aroma quite well. Extremely similar to whisky, and in fact, I would say that this beer is what I taste in whisky, but in a much more subtle and mellow fashion. Strong vanilla notes, but it really comes back to that toffee flavor. Oddly complex, while also subtle. Very well balanced in the flavors.

Overall, I am very impressed. I'd be interested in tasting this before it's aged. It seems like it would not be anywhere near as interesting without the aging. I'd imagine it would still be a good beer, but this beer is all about the subtleties found in the aging process. Highly recommended.

4.48/5  rDev +18.8%

330ml clear bottle poured in a pint glass.

Clear, light brown to caramel amber colour. Looks like that nice bronzed tan so many people are always looking for. Big frothy light beige to off-white head on the pour rises up 1.5 inches before receding to a modest 1/8 inch. Lots of sticky lacing throughout the glass.

When I first popped the cap on this baby, I instantly thought, "Damn clear bottle! This one's skunky!" but after the pour once I actually took a whiff it doesn't smell as skunky, instead there are big woody (presumably oak) tones with strong malts backing it up and hints of a little skunk and hops for balance.

This is beer is quite complex. Almost too complex for me to properly describe, but I'll do my best. Starts off at the swallow with sweet caramel then blends smoothly into malts. There are notes of bitter hops popping in and out at various different spots with each sip. The finish is woody, oaky, with that whisky bite to it and fades into a slight vanilla taste. Aftertaste is long and lingering with a predominant orange zest tanginess to it.

Moderate carbonation, medium bodied and a nice clean silky feeling left in your mouth. Very, very nice.

What else can I say besides "Wow." I picked this up on a whim this afternoon. I didn't even read the neck label stating IBC 2004 Supreme Champion until I went to pop the cap. Talk about a good pick up. This really is a unique beer. Atleast I certainly have never had anything like this. There's just something facinating in the taste. Seems like each time I take a sip the principle flavours may be the same, but the supporting cast appear on stage at differing times. Towards the end of the glass I definitely feel a little warmer. Not the best for a hot summer night, but this is a treat at any time. As the days get colder, I plan on stocking up on some of this.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured from a small .333L clear glass bottle to a pint glass, the liquid is a pale yellow with good carbonation. The head is a nice fat 2 fingers, white and leaves some lace.

The smell is very good lots of oak aromas as the hops are quite subdued. The oak mis quite nice and noticeable, as are some alcohol notes as well.

The taste follows, lots of oak as well as nuts and other earthy tastes. Any extra hops have long faded but left some mark in the finish. The after taste goes back to wood and alcohol. The malt character is caramel not so bready. As the brew warms some lemon and other citrus notes appear. Very nice brew!

The mouthfeel is close to full body, and the carbonation is good, the texture is creamy and thick with out any stickiness.

The drinkability is very good here is a brew I would like to try much more of.

Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK