Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003

1.46/5  rDev -61.4%

Weak clear brown liquid with a light foam made of quickly dissipating larger bubbles. Carbonated like soda water.

Smell is sweet and oaky with hints of malt. Very little hop flavor (very little flavor, really). Vanilla from the charred oak.

If I might: this beer proves you cannot put any old thin adjunct brew into a barrel and have it emerge transformed. It's transformed, but it is still weak, mediocre, poor. With some traces of oak and vanilla.

I saw that this was being imported into the US. Thought it important to offer my opinion directly and clearly. Avoid this beer. (582 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -56.6%

Got this at Nicko's wine and beer store. Nicko thought I would enjoy it. Said he has many customers who love it. He should have mentioned that the ones who love it don't care for beer.

Are you kidding me!! This many, self proclaimed BEER CONOISEURS like this??? This is suppossed to be a beer site and this was suppossed to beer.
This looked, smelled and tasted like lousy,cheap sweet whiskey.

Beer, should NOT TASTE LIKE THIS, at least imho. (445 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -55.6%

DEFINATELY NOT FOR ME

Appearance: Pours a light amber color, thin looking with some bubbles rising up inside. Has a frothy, two-finger head which lasts for about a minute and leaves a little bubbly lacing behind.

Smell: Strong in the nose but sweet as well. Has a heavy woodsy and whiskey scent, with a little toffee and caramel. Has a sort of thick, buttery smell below the surface. A rather intimidating smell.

Taste: Tastes almost identical to the smell. The whiskey and butteryness is up close and personal, and I can't say I like the mixture of the two. No hops at all, and has an unpleasant syrupy taste, similar to butterscotch.

Mouthfeel: Foamy and somewhat thick, like a thin syrup with carbonation. Puts a little bit of carbonation on the tongue, but not too much. Aftertaste is like a very bland version of the taste.

Drinkability: Personally, I hated this beer. I thought the butter flavor in the taste was disgusting, and being combined with the syrup texture made it even worse. I would never buy or drink this beer again, but that's just me. You very well might like it even though I couldn't finish one. (1,124 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Oh dear God, where do I begin? This beer is just. An absolute atrocity. (Bottled some time in '11, so keep that in mind.)

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is clear with a brown color. No head, no lacing.

Smell: It smells like scotch... with bananas and oak.

Taste: Absolutely dreadful. At first instance it's not bad (though it HARDLY tastes like beer)... I just can't take the aftertaste. It has a sweetness that's reminiscent of diet pop/soda, and it has a flat feel to it, despite there being a medium amount of carbonation. I can't really explain it, but it's not pleasant at all.

Maybe I'm just spoiled, considering I'm surrounded by some great breweries here in Michigan. While I'm not exactly familiar with the difference between Scottish Ales and Scotch Ales, I feel like it's safe to assume they're relatively similar. This is my first Scottish Ale, but I'd find it very hard to believe they normally taste like this. The bottle is dated almost a couple years ago, so maybe that's its problem, but I took a couple sips of this and was done with it. Absolutely awful.

The worst beer that I've ever had. (1,148 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -45.5%

A: Pale amber, almost Scotch whisky type color.

S: Skunky to the extreme. I understand the idea behind the bottle is to show of the color but when you cannot get past the skunkiness on the aroma, then it's time to look to dark glass as a better option.

T: I don't know if i got a sub-standard bottle or it was the wait in shipping or long shelf time but I got a huge hit of skunk on the palate. Touches of vanilla and oak dryness come through but very late and nearly non-existant. Sadly a skunky finish to this as well.

M: medium-light to medium

D: Due to the poor condition of the bottle I cannot give this a pass on drinkability. I will choke this down as it cost near 4 dollars Canadian a bottle but I'm less then impressed with this bottle.

Innis and Gunn are said to be one of the world newer classics and sadly due to the condition of the beer itself I see little in this bottle that i can concur with that statement.

Perhaps if they gave up the clear bottle experiment and switched to darker glass then I'd be raving. Perhaps due to it's Scotch whisky origins maybe green glass? but overall on this bottle I give a major pass. I'm very disappointed as I was looking forward to this beer. (1,201 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -43.9%

This beer was a gift from my parents on Christmas. I don't know if it was supposed to be this way, but it had a large amount of light sediment suspended in the bottle. My guess was that it was not supposed to be this way.

It poured nicely into a pint glass. Small- to regular-sized head.

The smell was revoltingly strong. I could smell the skunkiness 10 inches from my face. I hardly wanted to taste it.

The taste was hard to analyze over the putrid smell, but from what I could taste, there were hints of vanilla and possibly caramel.

I hope something was wrong with this particular bottle. I can't imagine a beer like this being intended to be this unpleasant to the senses. (680 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -43.4%

Poured a clear bronze color with a creamy and thick head; some lacing down the glass. Smelled obviously very oaky and malty. Tasted to me like sweet scotch whiskey, not like beer. I had to struggle to keep drinikng it. Drinkability for me was bad, as the taste turns me off.
Not only did I drain pour half of my glass, but did the same with the remainder of the bottle. This flavor is just not me in any way. (408 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -42.3%

Pours a clear orange/copper, big white head, not much lacing. Smell is citrus, strange oakiness, some vanilla bean, skunkiness. Taste is citrus, oaky vanilla, coffee, sweet caramel finish. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied, low carbonation and smooth. There was something about this beer I didn't like at all. Apparently others like it but this is the first beer I've ever dumped down the drain. (389 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -42.1%

A clear bottle always makes me nervous, and this beer was somewhat skunky. So this review might be considered atypical, but not unfair -- if you use a clear bottle, you take your chances. It had a golden pale caramel color, with some malty aroma finding its way through the skunkiness. There wasn't a lot of flavor -- a little oak up front, but otherwise this struck me as a fairly standard Euro-lager. The finish was smooth and clean. Average at best. (452 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -42.1%

Poured into pint glass...

A- Golden orange with a two finger creamy head that settles moderately fast. Nothing too great going on here.

S- Smells like warm caramel corn. Also get a bunch of diacetyl. Not much oak like I would expect; just a plethora of warm sweet aromas like vanilla, caramel, candy corn, butterscotch, etc...

T/M- Tastes exact same as smell. Not very enjoyable to me. No hops, all malt. Very carmelly, burnt sugar, candy corn. Unexpectedly pretty light body though it is smooth and silky/creamy.

O- Not my style. Way too sweet without many true beer attributes... I would not buy this again for myself, though my girlfriend did like it. Really not much to say about this beer (697 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -41.8%

Bought in a bottle and poured into a pint glass..

I think this is a beer? that you will either like or hate my other overall feel is that I was not drinking a beer but having a water down glass of scotch. I drink beer to taste beer and for me this does not work but I can also respect why others review it so highly so take my review with a grain of salt and I would say if you enjoy scotch or whiskey then try it.

The smell is sweet oak

taste was very sweet butter scotch or toffee and vanilla with a shot of water downed scotch or whiskey

very carbonated and very little head and has a amber color but does not feel like a beer to my taste buds just to fizzy for me. (673 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -41%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Nice golden color with a thin head. Smells of oak, sweet vanilla, hint of coffee and alcohol.

The taste didn't appeal to me as the alcohol was to dominant and the malt taste is strong here as well. I was not impressed by the mouthfeel either, it feels metallic and it stays that way a while.

Only reason to try it again is to see if my opinion or the beer as changed.

BTW The bottle says it should be served well chilled, not how I usually drink my ales and I neither did this time. (526 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -41%

Pours a nice, rich caramel color with a modest film of bright white head.

The aroma is soft vanilla and sweet, buttery toffee. Like liquid Kraft caramels, rich and creamy.

The taste follows with sweet toffee and butter with a slightly dry oaken finish. The base beer isn't the most complicated, it's an almost overly sweet toffee-forward, under-hopped pale ale, but the dryness of the oak almost keeps this from bring cloying. Almost. Oddly, for something that is oak aged, there's still a bit of an edge to the beer.

Mouthfeel is medium and a little syrupy.

Innis & Gunn's beers are interesting and all, but I'm almost inclined to classify this as something other than a beer. They're not really my thing. (711 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -37.8%

A: Fairly clear copper color. A finger of white head with good head retention. Nice looking for an English pale. There was quite a bit of sediment in the bottle so be careful.

S: Lots of diacetyl. Buttered popcorn. I really cannot get past it. Little bit of sweetness as well.

T: Diacetyl. There is a touch of oak but the overwhelming butteryness cannot be overlooked.

M: Prickly carbonation. Medium body.

D: This one is a one and done for me. Drainpour. The price of importing beer. (487 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -37%

a- clear bottle poured into a snifter, two and a half fingers worth of head with nice retention, honey amber coloring, dense head.

s- nice, toffee, vanilla, some light oak/woody notes, smooth malts, some alcohol.

t- interesting, oaky, some light smoke, toffee, vanilla, a bit boozy, a bit liquor-y. i'm not really loving this.

m- medium body.

d- not great, i wasn't a fan, it was a bit too oaky and sweet for me. i wouldn't grab this one again. (448 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -36.5%

Thanks to Big Z for this one. Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint. Attractive packaging.

A: Standard pour yields a 1 finger coarse white head that dissipates quickly. Beer is a clear light copper. Lacing is stringy with minimal legs and moderate stick.

S: Nose is adequately described as skunk covered by copious amounts of vanilla. This honestly smells like someone poured a bottle of vanilla extract into a glass of Corona. There's the slightest bit of oakiness to cut the sweet scent.

T: Opens skunky. Rusty pipe water with a slight hop bitterness mixed in. Then the vanilla and cane sugar sweetness hits and covers the metallic taste that still manages to linger in the background. Sweetness fades out in the end and I'm left with rust and iron at the finish. Metallic aftertaste.

M: Light to medium bodied with ample carbonation. Bubbly in the mouth and lively and abrasive going down. Finish is watery with a slightly lingering aftertaste.

D: Its not that this beer is undrinkable... rather... its really hard for me to get past the fact that I feel like the brewer is trying to cover up a bad tasting beer with some barrel-aging. Vanilla and woody notes are nice but the metallic and skunky taste in the background is unmistakable and really ruin it for me. I'll pass next time. (1,316 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -36.5%

s- chilled pint glass

a- light caramel. two finger white head.

s- very skunky. possibly from the clear bottle?

t- very bourbon forward. If you're a bourbon drinker, you'll probably like this. I'm not and found the bourbon flavor overwhelming.

m- medium mouth feel\

o- I couldn't finish the beer. the oak bourbon taste and skunk smell were too much. I was looking for something different and thought I'd give it a try. I won't be returning (444 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

Ok, I finally got around to tasting this beer. I don't know if it was the clear bottle, or if this just isn't a very good beer, but I swear, it tasted just like malt liquor. I've had some pretty skunked bottles of Newcastle that had a similar flavor. So I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say that I probably got a bad bottle--but, I can say for sure I won't ever buy it again, because if they don't respect their beer enough to put it in a brown bottle, I sure as hell ain't gonna pay $5 for another bottle of potential skunk-juice. (544 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this beer at the Amesbury Beer Festival on Sep 22 2012.

Most of the beers were served from bottles into small 3oz plastic dixie cups.

Although I took notes on the 20+ different beers that I tried, it is difficult to remember all of the details associated with each beer. My apologies to readers of these notes. However, I did pay attention to my overall scores, and noted what I thought were unique positives and negatives w/ each beer.

Note that for me:
< 2.5 = probably would not finish the beer
3.0 = drinkable beer, but likely would not buy again or look for
>3.5 = will try to buy again in the future

Not a big fan of the Innis and Gunn beers. Seem kind of mellow to me, and a bit bland. Normally I would be more neutral, but this beer had spice notes which put me off. (794 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

EDIT: Had this beer 1/1/13 and it smelled and tasted distinctly of artificial bananas (exactly like a banana Runt). Score would be even lower. Bottle was from a 3 pack & a glass made for Christmas 2012. Score reflects this pour. The scores just keep getting lower... Everything banana & oak. Bleah.

Reviewed 9/10/2011, bought by a buddy as a thank-you.
330 mL clear bottle poured into a Perfect Pint glass. Well, let's how my palate has changed over time and many more tasting experiences.
A: Copper and clear. Light white head that drops too quickly, leaving a light ring and no lacing.
S: The worst part of the beer here. Came out with an initial cooked cabbage that was really off-putting. Mellowed with time, to light oak and a hint of earth. Came off initially though as a bad BMC lager.
T: Rock solid here if you like oak. Tons of oak initially, in fact overpowering the light body of the beer. Tones down over time giving way to a light sweetness with a well balanced vanilla note. Personally I found the oak just too strong to start here.
M: Oak and vanilla linger, average carbonation. Comes off well.
O: A better beer than I remember, though when I saw my first rounds of grades I was stunned at how high I reviewed it the first time. Something worth having from time to time.
3.5/2.5/4/4/4

Reviewed 7/12/2008
This is the second bottle I have tried in recent weeks, and for some reason this one was the better of the two, although likely due to context.

Poured a tall, strong head and has an inviting and spicy nose to it. Distinctive, but I cannot pick out a particular aroma. The oak is very evident on the first sip. It is reminiscent of a good scotch rolling across the palate, and leaves a woody aftertaste.

The beer only loses some points due to the fact that its oaken character is not nearly as evident by the bottom half of the glass., except in the aftertaste. It is a beer that would make it into my 'sometimes' repertoire.
4.5/4.5/4/4.5/3.5 (1,966 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -31%

Immediately apparent are the rich honey-copper color and strong alcohol aroma. This review, however, is of 3 of the 4 bottles I've purchased in Boston and Rhode Island, in search of another like the first I tasted. From memory, it was rich in oak, vanilla, and scotch-ale flavors and caramel-sweet. For the last three I've had, which have brought the average down and are responsible for the meh numbers:

Appearance: The clear bottle shows the beer's aforementioned color well, and when poured, two fingers of fine creamy head rest at the top of my pint glass.

Smell: Here's where one starts to worry. Alcohol cuts through the sweetness and caramel, and through that the beginning of the metallic twinge of a cheap lager, or the oxidized aroma of the six well-worn ones you spent on the bottle, you'd think you'd just poured that pint from a(n expensive) silver can.

Taste: This is where you realize you're ruined, and so is the bomber you've purchased. The metallic taste is overwhelming and especially unpleasant in a scotch ale. (If you'd like a metaphor, this is the southern-belle sweet foreign exchange student who knocks on your door, smiles brightly, and pulls a knife on you.)

Mouthfeel: This doesn't suffer much, and is substantial enough to hold up the sweetness without being cloying or syrupy. In keeping with the creamy head, the beer rolls smoothly around the palate with very little carbonation.

Drinkability: I poured a glass, admired it, hoped, smelled, doubted, tasted, and tossed it out.

Methinks the clear glass bottle and long shelf times (not many buyers) are to blame for the high rate of skunking of this beer. I really, truly have had a good bottle, and I'm not sure if they turned out a bad lot that hasn't cleared out of local stores or if something more mundane or sinister is afoot. As it is, if you're a gambler or Casey at the Bat, or have six bucks to waste and feel lucky, give it a try. (1,927 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -30.7%

When am I going to start listening to my better judgment and leave these damn clear bottles alone? I knew when I picked this up that I'd regret it but I did it anyway...

Pours a quite nice deep brown... Quite clear.. Smallish head.. Pretty nice actually...

Skunked... Only way to say it... Pungent deep funky skunk aromas dominate and do away with anything else.. Maybe a touch of vanilla or something but that's about it..

Sweet and a bit oaky with some vanilla highlights but basically skunked in the taste dept as well... When will these brewers learn? Sigh.... Brown bottles, cans, anything but clear or green...

Had potential but the skunk got in the way. Would like to try this on tap... (698 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear caramel color with a multitude of bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. Zero head present along with minimal lacing. The nose has a decidedly lager like character with faint notes of caramel malt and oak. Not really getting any of what I would classify as Scottish character. The taste features plenty of oak, mellow bourbon and vanilla character, and again a dry bready lager yeast character. The taste is rather thin and seems to have more flavor from the oak than from the base beer. Mouthfeel is way over carbonated with a very light body. This one is not working well for me. Kinda reminds me of the AB Winter Cask Ale, bland and watery with some vanilla and oak character. (697 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -30.2%

10/05/05- Purchased at the BC Provincial Liquor Store in Invermere, B.C.

Presentation- 11.2oz clear bottle with no dates on the bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Copper colored pour with a 1/2 inch head and minor lace.

Smell- Have a feeling that this may have been a skunked bottle. Not really any whiskey or oak scents here. Smelled like wet cardboard and ashes. Very bad scent.

Taste- Luckily barely any of the skunk was in the flavor. Thin malt flavor with a touch of oak. Could taste a bit of whiskey, but not much to speak of. Had a small portion of that ashes taste though.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, a tad watery and thin. Touch creamy.

Drinkability- I'll pass on this one again unless I find it straight from the cask...then I would give it another shot. (798 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Foamy white head, reddish amber body with a ton of bubbles. These dissipate and leave no lacing.

Smells BAD. Like skunky Heineken. I'm going to assume this is what skunked beer smells like, and move on. It's not nearly so bad once the head is gone. Then it smells more like oak and nice things.

To taste, I had to deliberately not inhale through my nose. There's a trace of the skunkiness in the taste, but it's sort of subdued. It's like bad spinach maybe, but it's not as bad as initially in the nose. Moving on past that, it's got a lovely oak character that delivers on the toffee and vanilla promised on the bottle with that hint of coconut I search for in oaked beers. Quite nice. Mellow and rather British (though I wouldn't say specifically Scottish) in character, but that cheap skunk is really cramping the malt profile. This is sort of like what Newcie Brown would be like if it were oak aged pretty well.

A bit fizzy, but not bad.

I want to bet this is skunked in spite of the low IBUs, but I'm going to fault it for that anyway because I didn't leave it out in the sun, and even though I can't speak for how long it may have been out on the shelf in the store, it's irresponsible to put beer in clear bottles, no matter low the hop content is or how nice it looks. (For the record, it does look nice, and I don't like hops anyway). Jury's still out for me-- part skunky macro lager, part Scottish ale, part lovely oak character. The pros and cons balance. (1,472 characters)

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn