Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged BeerInnis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003)

CiCi921IBG, Nov 14, 2014

TheBigBoy, May 02, 2012
1.43/5  rDev -62.1%

Weak clear brown liquid with a light foam made of quickly dissipating larger bubbles. Carbonated like soda water.

Smell is sweet and oaky with hints of malt. Very little hop flavor (very little flavor, really). Vanilla from the charred oak.

If I might: this beer proves you cannot put any old thin adjunct brew into a barrel and have it emerge transformed. It's transformed, but it is still weak, mediocre, poor. With some traces of oak and vanilla.

I saw that this was being imported into the US. Thought it important to offer my opinion directly and clearly. Avoid this beer.

salvo, Jul 18, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -60.2%

Zakk, Jun 15, 2012
1.6/5  rDev -57.6%

DEFINATELY NOT FOR ME

Appearance: Pours a light amber color, thin looking with some bubbles rising up inside. Has a frothy, two-finger head which lasts for about a minute and leaves a little bubbly lacing behind.

Smell: Strong in the nose but sweet as well. Has a heavy woodsy and whiskey scent, with a little toffee and caramel. Has a sort of thick, buttery smell below the surface. A rather intimidating smell.

Taste: Tastes almost identical to the smell. The whiskey and butteryness is up close and personal, and I can't say I like the mixture of the two. No hops at all, and has an unpleasant syrupy taste, similar to butterscotch.

Mouthfeel: Foamy and somewhat thick, like a thin syrup with carbonation. Puts a little bit of carbonation on the tongue, but not too much. Aftertaste is like a very bland version of the taste.

Drinkability: Personally, I hated this beer. I thought the butter flavor in the taste was disgusting, and being combined with the syrup texture made it even worse. I would never buy or drink this beer again, but that's just me. You very well might like it even though I couldn't finish one.

Goregazm, Nov 03, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -56.8%

Got this at Nicko's wine and beer store. Nicko thought I would enjoy it. Said he has many customers who love it. He should have mentioned that the ones who love it don't care for beer.

Are you kidding me!! This many, self proclaimed BEER CONOISEURS like this??? This is suppossed to be a beer site and this was suppossed to beer.
This looked, smelled and tasted like lousy,cheap sweet whiskey.

Beer, should NOT TASTE LIKE THIS, at least imho.

jadpsu, Oct 04, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -53.6%

rkm19, May 31, 2013
1.99/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Oh dear God, where do I begin? This beer is just. An absolute atrocity. (Bottled some time in '11, so keep that in mind.)

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is clear with a brown color. No head, no lacing.

Smell: It smells like scotch... with bananas and oak.

Taste: Absolutely dreadful. At first instance it's not bad (though it HARDLY tastes like beer)... I just can't take the aftertaste. It has a sweetness that's reminiscent of diet pop/soda, and it has a flat feel to it, despite there being a medium amount of carbonation. I can't really explain it, but it's not pleasant at all.

Maybe I'm just spoiled, considering I'm surrounded by some great breweries here in Michigan. While I'm not exactly familiar with the difference between Scottish Ales and Scotch Ales, I feel like it's safe to assume they're relatively similar. This is my first Scottish Ale, but I'd find it very hard to believe they normally taste like this. The bottle is dated almost a couple years ago, so maybe that's its problem, but I took a couple sips of this and was done with it. Absolutely awful.

The worst beer that I've ever had.

Alextricity, Feb 04, 2013

Hanglow, Apr 28, 2012

sevenarts, Nov 23, 2011

schopenhauerale, Jan 19, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -45.6%

A: Pale amber, almost Scotch whisky type color.

S: Skunky to the extreme. I understand the idea behind the bottle is to show of the color but when you cannot get past the skunkiness on the aroma, then it's time to look to dark glass as a better option.

T: I don't know if i got a sub-standard bottle or it was the wait in shipping or long shelf time but I got a huge hit of skunk on the palate. Touches of vanilla and oak dryness come through but very late and nearly non-existant. Sadly a skunky finish to this as well.

M: medium-light to medium

D: Due to the poor condition of the bottle I cannot give this a pass on drinkability. I will choke this down as it cost near 4 dollars Canadian a bottle but I'm less then impressed with this bottle.

Innis and Gunn are said to be one of the world newer classics and sadly due to the condition of the beer itself I see little in this bottle that i can concur with that statement.

Perhaps if they gave up the clear bottle experiment and switched to darker glass then I'd be raving. Perhaps due to it's Scotch whisky origins maybe green glass? but overall on this bottle I give a major pass. I'm very disappointed as I was looking forward to this beer.

Clutch28, May 28, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -44.8%

Poured a clear bronze color with a creamy and thick head; some lacing down the glass. Smelled obviously very oaky and malty. Tasted to me like sweet scotch whiskey, not like beer. I had to struggle to keep drinikng it. Drinkability for me was bad, as the taste turns me off.
Not only did I drain pour half of my glass, but did the same with the remainder of the bottle. This flavor is just not me in any way.

BeTheBall, Sep 18, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -44.8%

Pours a clear orange/copper, big white head, not much lacing. Smell is citrus, strange oakiness, some vanilla bean, skunkiness. Taste is citrus, oaky vanilla, coffee, sweet caramel finish. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied, low carbonation and smooth. There was something about this beer I didn't like at all. Apparently others like it but this is the first beer I've ever dumped down the drain.

Viggo, Sep 15, 2005
2.15/5  rDev -43%

Bought in a bottle and poured into a pint glass..

I think this is a beer? that you will either like or hate my other overall feel is that I was not drinking a beer but having a water down glass of scotch. I drink beer to taste beer and for me this does not work but I can also respect why others review it so highly so take my review with a grain of salt and I would say if you enjoy scotch or whiskey then try it.

The smell is sweet oak

taste was very sweet butter scotch or toffee and vanilla with a shot of water downed scotch or whiskey

very carbonated and very little head and has a amber color but does not feel like a beer to my taste buds just to fizzy for me.

Seanont, Jan 05, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -42.4%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Nice golden color with a thin head. Smells of oak, sweet vanilla, hint of coffee and alcohol.

The taste didn't appeal to me as the alcohol was to dominant and the malt taste is strong here as well. I was not impressed by the mouthfeel either, it feels metallic and it stays that way a while.

Only reason to try it again is to see if my opinion or the beer as changed.

BTW The bottle says it should be served well chilled, not how I usually drink my ales and I neither did this time.

fivarsen, Apr 17, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -42.4%

This beer was a gift from my parents on Christmas. I don't know if it was supposed to be this way, but it had a large amount of light sediment suspended in the bottle. My guess was that it was not supposed to be this way.

It poured nicely into a pint glass. Small- to regular-sized head.

The smell was revoltingly strong. I could smell the skunkiness 10 inches from my face. I hardly wanted to taste it.

The taste was hard to analyze over the putrid smell, but from what I could taste, there were hints of vanilla and possibly caramel.

I hope something was wrong with this particular bottle. I can't imagine a beer like this being intended to be this unpleasant to the senses.

modus, Jan 08, 2010
2.17/5  rDev -42.4%

Poured into pint glass...

A- Golden orange with a two finger creamy head that settles moderately fast. Nothing too great going on here.

S- Smells like warm caramel corn. Also get a bunch of diacetyl. Not much oak like I would expect; just a plethora of warm sweet aromas like vanilla, caramel, candy corn, butterscotch, etc...

T/M- Tastes exact same as smell. Not very enjoyable to me. No hops, all malt. Very carmelly, burnt sugar, candy corn. Unexpectedly pretty light body though it is smooth and silky/creamy.

O- Not my style. Way too sweet without many true beer attributes... I would not buy this again for myself, though my girlfriend did like it. Really not much to say about this beer

TheGordianKnot, Jul 11, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -41.6%

A clear bottle always makes me nervous, and this beer was somewhat skunky. So this review might be considered atypical, but not unfair -- if you use a clear bottle, you take your chances. It had a golden pale caramel color, with some malty aroma finding its way through the skunkiness. There wasn't a lot of flavor -- a little oak up front, but otherwise this struck me as a fairly standard Euro-lager. The finish was smooth and clean. Average at best.

Flyer, Jun 03, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -41.6%

Pours a nice, rich caramel color with a modest film of bright white head.

The aroma is soft vanilla and sweet, buttery toffee. Like liquid Kraft caramels, rich and creamy.

The taste follows with sweet toffee and butter with a slightly dry oaken finish. The base beer isn't the most complicated, it's an almost overly sweet toffee-forward, under-hopped pale ale, but the dryness of the oak almost keeps this from bring cloying. Almost. Oddly, for something that is oak aged, there's still a bit of an edge to the beer.

Mouthfeel is medium and a little syrupy.

Innis & Gunn's beers are interesting and all, but I'm almost inclined to classify this as something other than a beer. They're not really my thing.

MeisterBurger, Nov 03, 2009