Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours with filtered clarity and a dusting of a head. Typical dark amber English pale ale color. Big vanillin smells on the nose, along with some spicy butter. On the palate, big, plastic-like vanilla flavors pop up first. Mouthfilling carbonation unexpectedly (based on this beer's appearance) forms at the mid-palate. The finish is a bit buttery with hints of diacetyl. Overall, this beer isn't that appealing to me. The vanilla flavors are overpowering and don't taste "real", that is, they're too bright and big, kind of like how "blueberry" artificial flavoring taste more blueberry than actual blueberries. Anyway, not my cup of tea. (638 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

Nice presentation in the clear bottle, I know that it is problematic for storing but looks nice anyways.

Poured a very nice amber with short lived foamy head.

The initial smell is very complex with a nice hoppy aroma.

Initial taste is quite sweet but very smooth and complex. I did find however that there was a smokey finish that I didn't mind during the first two sips but was very turned off by the end of the beer. Some people like this I do not so I almost didn't finish it. (488 characters)

3.78/5  rDev 0%

I enjoy tasting these types of brewing and conditioning experiments, especially when they involve spirits.

Upon pouring I found the appearance to be as warm and inviting as my favourite single malt. Lovely copper hue covered by a decent head of foam that laces minimaly but... what a stunning liquid.

The aromas give up an interesting level of complexity with a mix of soft and rounded malts, some spices, a healthy dose of oak and spirits through slight hints of vapourous esters that vanish subtly in the end. As the brew warms it gives up even more of its aged character.

Flavours are toned down compared to the aromas. All elements are there but in a drier and more minimalist whole. First sips reveal a healthy malt and some earthy hops well supported by an underpinning of mild whiskey flavours. Further into the beer, notes of tobacco leaves and ginger surface and the 77 days of aging begin to show signs of life through a mild metallic taste.

This beer's character is reflective of its scottish roots and shows in a subtle way many of the nuances that a scotch might. Pleasant as a nightcap.

Santé (1,122 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +4.2%

I noticed this little bottle of beer on my way round the local supermarket after a long 12 hour day and thought "why not?"

This poured a nice bronze colour with a good slightly off-white head that remained throughout the drink. I immediately noticed a lot of bubbles and thought this may turn out to be a lager, not a good start.

The main dominating smell is of burnt caramel, which can be noticed when you are pouring it into the glass, there is also a faint hint of malt, citrus and wheat.

The taste is nice and malty, but there is a hint of something I can't put my finger on, possible a flavour from the oak cask. It has a nice smooth feeling on the tongue, which is very surprising given the ammount of bubbles in the glass. It has plenty of body and complex flavours to keep many beer drinkers interested.

However these flavours are what also makes me think this is not a beer for drinking all night. It has too many strong flavours and a bit too much body to be drunk all night, I think it may be heavy on the stomach after a few.

Overall a very nice beer, especially if you like to sample different flavours, worth a try. (1,144 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%

It's been a while since I last tasted this beer. But after polishing my palate with Innis&Gunn's other great offerings (2004 and 2005 Limited Edition, Cask-Strength), now I'm better equipped to revisit this original version first introduced three-four years ago. Just 1.12 quid at the Sainsbury's when it was on sale, and I grabbed a few. BB 06 JUN 07, served cool in Innis&Gunn's own broad-rimmed goblet.

A: pours a dark orangey amber hue, a 1.5cm thick creamy off-white froth slowly settles down to a thin carpet on top of a constant streams of very fine and tiny fizziness... Elegant.
S: as attractive as ever... dence and rich toffee notes lead the way, on top of vanilla-oaky aroma, sweet orange-blossom honey, caramelised lemon-slices, malt-candy, coating the mild pale malts in the middle... really smooth and pretty sweet as honey.
T: upfront on the palate orange-jam, honey-water, toasted malts and toffee all approach together in a smooth manner, balanced sweetness with a healthy edge of ve...ry understated citric-sourness... gradually giving way to an ever-deepening aroma and taste of creamy oak-sherry and a lingering vanilla touch, before creamy-textured bitter-sweet biscuity maltiness and malt-sugar's aroma emerge almost from behind at the very last stage of tasting. Subtle, ever-lasting aroma of honey+vanilla and just a touch of dryish-bitter palate (like wood or hops) stays in the finish... with a subtle kickback of alc. deep down the throat.
M&D: creamy on the mouthfeel as the fizziness is really well-executed; medium-bodied, flavoursome, yet incredibly easy to drink for a 6.6% beer... Now that I read my previous note about this beer, I'm surprised that I had so little to say about it--maybe due to the mood, the condition and serving condition of the beer, or simply my lack of experience. But now I could say this really is some fine beer. It gets 4 on taste only because its "off-springs" perform even better. All in all, a well-crafted and subtle beer best enjoyed cool like a real ale, NOT chilled as the bottle wrongly suggests. (2,071 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Amber with green tinges, white froth but no bubbles.
Very marmalade, fresh floral hops.
Tastes rich, sweet, toasty, orange peel, with the wood bring up the rear. The late impression is of a Glenmorangie. Little bitterness at all.
No effervescence in the mouth, touch cloying. (278 characters)

Part two of a series of birthday gift exotic beers - though it wouldn't have taken me long to discover Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer had I been left to my own devices (I've tried it before in a bar, and was rather intrigued). I'm a huge scotch lover, so I'm looking forward to this.

Very nice presentation in terms of the bottle; though it's clear, its a very nice shape and design, and very informative labelling share this beer's characteristics in much the same way that the label on a single malt might expound its virtues. It pours a beautiful colour - almost like carbonated whiskey, amber/honey hues, with some caramel hints. Topped by a small but respectable and lasting off-white head, with absolute gobs and gobs of lacing (perhaps more than any beer I've sampled before). Looks absolutely delicious.

This bottle (though a gift) was purchased as a single at the LCBO and I can't help but think that it's suffered a bit from sitting alone on the shelf for awhile, exposed to the store's bright lighting. The result is a touch of skunk in the nose. This is no fault of the brewer, of course - beyond that, there is some interesting character. Oak dominates, with a touch of citrus (lemon from the hops?), and some hints of vanilla. Perhaps a touch of toffee. Some indistinct berries. Scotch. Rye whisky. Butter. Quite woody, but in a tasty way (though certainly not in the way a single malt would draw flavour from the wood). Surprisingly heavy vanilla keeps presenting itself. Flowers. Honey. Lavender. Orange. Malt, toasted. Delicious, though not an every day thing.

Taste is more of the same. Surprisingly heavy vanilla sweetness asserts itself, is counteracted by a mildly bitter hop twang near the middle and finish. Toasted and roasted malts. Citrus (lemon? orange?) Rye whisky (or rye bread?). Honey. Slightly hoppy on the finish, but not excessively better, and everything is accented by the vanilla note. Finishes dry and grainy, though not excessively so. Faintly warming finish, perhaps due to the high ABV. Aftertaste of citrus and vanilla. Smooth, perhaps as a result of 77 days of aging (which must do a lot more for a beer than a whisky). Quite tasty; though it can't compare with a fine single malt, this is an excellent beer, and would be even better if I could get an unskunked bottle (assuming that single off-note is a result of skunking, of course).

Mouthfeel is also good. Carbonation was plainly visible upon the pour, but is milder than it appeared, and is nice and moderate. Body is medium, though the brew is a touch oily and slick in the mouth, this is a minor complaint. Drinkability is high, though this is admittedly not a heavy swigger. The oak character is assertive enough that a couple of these is enough, but you'll really enjoy and cherish every one that you drink (perhaps not unlike a good scotch).

All in all, Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer is an excellent brew. It will never replace a warm dram of scotch on a cold day, but it's a remarkably interesting - and quite tasty - beer. I would like to see more barrel aged beers in the future, because this beer is a definite winner. 4's across the board for a great, great ale. (3,180 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +5%

pours a nice golden colour with a half inch of thick white head. the head slowly drops down but leaves a thick layer of lace on the glass.

aroma is fruity, with a bit of oak presence. deep and complex aroma that i'm having trouble describing. just a hint of berries and a small whif of smoke.

taste is really interesting. fruity. lots of oak and vanilla coming through. slight bitterness. a hint of warmth as it goes down, more than i'd expect at 6.6%, but not unpleasant. alot of complexity in the flavour too. still catching a hint of berries in the flavour too.

mouthfeel is good. carbonation is fairly low, which goes well with a traditional english pale ale.

drinkability is good. it's a really nice beer. the oak is nice, but strong enough that i don't feel like i'd have several. however, that could just be my personal preference. (850 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Nice dark caramel-amber colur with a thin but respectable head. Oak hints, vanilla traces in the scent. Some people say they can smell scotch, and I can certainly detect some scotch like smells, but I don't think it is too close to scotch.

Smooth taste...not as smooth as I would expect (perhaps the limited editions are smoother). Vanilla, scotch- and wine-like hints. Slight lemon sourness and flavour, due possibly to the hops. Good malt. Definite wood background. Once again, I can detect similarities to scotch, but this does not taste like scotch, at least none of the scotches I've tried. A little bit harsh aftertaste: somewhat bitter and astringent.

Good mouthfeel. Looks like it could be overly carbonated, but it isn't. Easy drinking. A good meal time or after dinner beer.

Thought I had reviewd this before, but I guess not. (845 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

The beer has an appearance like whiskey, with a beautiful light mahagony colour. Smells like a mix of light oak and malt. The taste is even better than the smell. A taste of light oak with a surprising sweet swirl of vanilla flavour. A sweetness then becomes like orange in taste. Later on, the mellow malt and light bitter hop kicks in at the right amount as a reminder that this is beer afterall, not fruit juice.

The aftertaste is a lingering and fragrant oak scent, not at all sour as initially expected. It is a bit annoying because the hop bitterness and the oak aroma gives a mix that is reminescent of tart whiskey. This beer is more refreshing and lighter than anticipated. Quite a uniqe beer. (705 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance – The best way to describe the appearance of this beer would be to say that it looks just like a glass of scotch with foam. There are a few of centimeters of bubbly head on top but it dissipates soon enough.

Smell – I find the smell of this beer very appealing. There is some oak wood, toffee, scotch, and a sweetness which I can’t put my finger on. I also detect slight amount of fruity hops in there.

Taste – The taste doesn’t live up to the smell. This beer is very sweet and reminds me heavily of vanilla. There is scotch whiskey and toffee in there too but not a ton. Just a smidge of skunk arises which doesn’t suite the beer. The finish is slightly hoppy and leaves a slight but pleasant bitterness on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – It’s not bad. I feel an oily film around my mouth after sipping this beer though. The consistency is thick enough for a beer of this style and the carbonation is not noticeable.

Drinkability – A drinkable beer. It’s a little sweet at times but overall I enjoyed sipping it and had no problems finishing quick.

This beer is fairly good. I wish it had more scotch kick to it though. (1,155 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%

I noticed this one at Trader Joe's while waiting in line and thought it looked intriguing. According to the label, this beer is aged in oak barrels for 77 days. The label also notes that it should be served chilled. I found this instruction a little disconcerting as I have come to assume that only low-quality beers require cold temperatures and only to mask the overly bitter flavours, or lack of any flavours, as the case may be. However, I worried needlessly as I ended up sipping it over the course of a couple of hours without any appreciable degradation in taste.

The brew poured with a rich, even amber colour and a good head that dissipated quickly. A deep sniff revealed a pleasant malty aroma with whiskey tones. On the first sip, the sweetish flavour of malt is very evident, but even more pronounced is a taste that I liken to that of single malt Scotch whisky from the lowlands. As a lover of good Scotch, I was particularly delighted at the results of aging in oak barrels. Bitterness was only present in trace amounts. One could argue it could use a little more of the latter for balance, but I personally would not complain. The finish was smooth and warm in the mouth. Overall, an unusual and enjoyable brew. I can attest that it goes well with dark chocolate. (1,282 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%

Clear glass bottle, brewery putting presentation above preservation of beer - crazy to go through the effort to produce this beer and then risk such an easily avoided problem like being lightstruck. At 55f pours with nice 50% head in pint glass. Immediately some strong oak notes Notice that best before date is 20 months ago...bottle is clear, no sediment, and presumably not bottle-conditioned.

Smell is some hoppy notes with a very strong overtone of wood.

Taste is fairly complex and the overwhelming overtone is wood, with some pleasant hop front end that carries into and dominates the finish. At one point it feels like I had a stick or piece of green wood in my mouth the oak character was so strong, but that passes quickly. further into the bottle some sweetness comes out,

This is very pleasant and I would like to try it as a cask ale if it were available. It is nice to try a british beer that touches wood, there are far too few. In all fairness I think this bottle was past its prime. (1,009 characters)

Pours a very appetizing amber with a soft, tan head. light carbonation.The nose is softly sweet with malt hints and some great oak notes. The taste is nicely malty with nice fruitiness down the middle. A wonderful alcohol & oak mix become prominent late. A great lingering woody quality that is counterbalanced nicely with light sweetness. Medium bodied, moderately carbonated. Semi smooth finish. A nice sipper. The lingering aftertaste sits nicely and allows you sit and enjoy while slowly downing this brew. A quite enjoyed it. (530 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330 ml clear bottle, at Cardinal, Stavanger. Beautiful golden brown colour. Large and creamy off-white head, long lasting, decent lacing. Unusual aroma and flavour, very woody, Scotch whisky elements, but also notes of toffee, vanilla, cinnamon - and even shrimp and the dark meat of crabs(!). Relatively sweet, but the finish and aftertaste are woody, dry and hoppy. Something out of the ordinary, and I have trouble deciding how well I really like this beer. Definitely worth a try! (484 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

Clear 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Golden honey color with a small white head that leaves a film.

Like another reviewer, when I popped this bottle I swore that it was skunked. That smell went away completely though, and now I smell sweet honey, sweet malt and some nice oak.

The taste has the same characteristics as the smell. Sweet, smooth and with a great amount of oak. The oak lingers in the finish a little. Tasty.

Medium body.

This is a really tasty easy drinking brew. We need more beer in oak. I love it. (539 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured my first bottle of this brew into a Hobgoblin glass. Deep, thick-looking honey coloured beer with a very fizzy head that would seem to imply heavy carbonation -- but it isn't!

I was almost turned off this beer by the smell -- somewhat unpleasant, and not what I had expected at all. I actually had an 'I hate clear bottles' moment and thought it was skunked. Taking a little more time, though, I did detect a strong, sweet malty note, with almost no bitterness, as well as some plums, honey, and overcooked vegetables (this was not necessarily as unpleasant as it sounds).

Anyway, once I took a sip, I was pleasantly surprised. Any skunk that I'd detected earlier disappeared, and instead I was treated to very sweet malty flavours, almost cakey, with some sugarcane, roots, and other plants in there. A great, thick mouthfeel makes this beer very satisfying and drinkable. Looking forward to the second bottle! (924 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Very light caramel colour. No head, though their are a bit of bubbles. Smells lightly of toffee, caramel, dark soil... Something else as well. A type of candy. I know what the candy is, I just can't think of the damn name. It was a candy my great grandfather had. Unfortunately, the only candy I can think of is humbugs, and I know damn well that is wrong. Taste is quite simple. Caramel, toffee, eathiness/grass, along with that candy that I can't remember the name of. Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel. Would make a decent session ale, despite the ABV content. (561 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance: light golden brown, great clarity, narrow layer of spongey off-white foam

Aroma: butterscotch, hint of skunk, bit of oak

Flavor: malty sweet, faint sourness, skunky hops, butterscotch, finishes semidry with a whiskey-malty aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium body, fine carbonation, soft texture

Other comments: Though I'd be hard-pressed at the moment to say exactly why, I definitely like the 2005 Limited Edition more than this standard one. Whether it's because the LE came in a box and was not skunked or if it's because it's a different beer, I don't know. Wasn't impressed with this one, though. (619 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Clear orange-brown big head and lots of lacing.

Smell: Very different. Smells of whiskey maybe. Rum also comes to mind.

Taste: Bitter and dry. This one has a very concentrated sort of flavour. Alcohol is very pronounced and a smokey whiskey flavours really come through.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but very smooth. Attacks the tongue at first but quickly mellows.

Drinkability: I dunno. It's tasty, no question, but I may have trouble putting away too many of these (could be deja vu thing from my college days and harder liquors...). (556 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +4%

Looks good on the pour. A dark brown with a slight head with a little bit of lacing.

Now I smelled this when it was cold, and it reminded me of Malt Vinegar, turned my stomach. now as it warmed, which I am assuming is ideal for this brew, it reminded me of a good scotch, with a slight smoothness to the malty aromas. (basing my rating on a slightly warmed sample).

Taste takes some getting used to. VERY malty. Reminiscent of malts used in scotch, but the finish is nice and a slight bitterness entails. After a few sips you get used to it and it holds it's own pretty good.

Mouthfeel is exceptional, unique. Smooth creamyness makes it way with the malted flavors, certainly redeems the overpowering malt flavors contained within.

Overall pretty drinkable, Interesting to say the least. Definitely worth a try. (824 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

330 ml clear bottle, embossed around the label. Small neck label notes IBC 2004 Supreme Champion, while back label explains the oak aging process, and description of the beer. High expectations from reading all of this - was not disappointed.
A 'honey-hued beer', reminds me of the color of scotch typically aged in in their 'hand selected oak barrels'. It pours clear, leaving a thin cap of foam and minor lacing. There is definatley some oak barrel smell, malt, woody, a bit smokey. There was the slightest whiff of skunk when it was first cracked, but that smell didn't last. Lots of flavors, very complex, hard to pick out one overly strong trait. More of the smells are present in the taste including woodiness, nuts, smoke, and some whiskey flavors that linger. Lots of carbonation, felt light on the tongue. And the higher alcohol warms all the way down. I would keep this around as a sipping beer, to enjoy the complexity slowly. A uniquely brewed product. (966 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

Clear bottle, why? Without fresness indication. Pours clear light almond, light tan head, leaving thick creamy lacing, with just a few bubbles rising to the top. Faint nose of peaty malt. Slightly smokey ale, soft notes of vanilla and some soggy orange citrus notes. Decent ale with some asperations of complexity, over 6% well in the background. Worth a try. (359 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%

served in a nice clear glass bottle, pretty presentation anyways. This is a very nice looking beer. Frothy head, pretty lacing. Darker orange colouring. A great looking glass of beer.

Smell is initially skunky. Is that the distance travelled + clear glass bottle? Nice dark spicy hoppiness in the nose, smells like a much darker beer. I am quite impressed with the taste of this beer. Hoppy sweetness, a dark stout maltiness. The oak aging in scotch barrels really comes through strongly at times. I love scotch, and this beer marries two of my liquor loves together quite nicely. A bit thinner in the mouth than I prefer, but the 6.6ABV is hidden very well. Very drinkable, someday in Edinburgh I'll be sure to drink this along with all the fine whisky offerings of Scotland. Too bad about the price here in Manitoba though. (829 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -10.8%

Bright copper in colour with a medium amount of carbonation. Interesting aromas of vanilla, fruity British yeast, light malt, and marshmallow. The flavors are very sweet on the front end with elements of caramel, light fruit, licorice, and vanilla cream. The more tannic oak wood flavors show up big time on the finish. Heavy mouthfeel to this one as well. I was expecting not to like this beer, and in spite its heavy handed over the top nature , I actually enjoyed it. (470 characters)

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn