Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003

Reviews: 431 | Hads: 1,006
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Clear bottle, why? Without fresness indication. Pours clear light almond, light tan head, leaving thick creamy lacing, with just a few bubbles rising to the top. Faint nose of peaty malt. Slightly smokey ale, soft notes of vanilla and some soggy orange citrus notes. Decent ale with some asperations of complexity, over 6% well in the background. Worth a try.

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%

served in a nice clear glass bottle, pretty presentation anyways. This is a very nice looking beer. Frothy head, pretty lacing. Darker orange colouring. A great looking glass of beer.

Smell is initially skunky. Is that the distance travelled + clear glass bottle? Nice dark spicy hoppiness in the nose, smells like a much darker beer. I am quite impressed with the taste of this beer. Hoppy sweetness, a dark stout maltiness. The oak aging in scotch barrels really comes through strongly at times. I love scotch, and this beer marries two of my liquor loves together quite nicely. A bit thinner in the mouth than I prefer, but the 6.6ABV is hidden very well. Very drinkable, someday in Edinburgh I'll be sure to drink this along with all the fine whisky offerings of Scotland. Too bad about the price here in Manitoba though.

3.37/5  rDev -10.6%

Bright copper in colour with a medium amount of carbonation. Interesting aromas of vanilla, fruity British yeast, light malt, and marshmallow. The flavors are very sweet on the front end with elements of caramel, light fruit, licorice, and vanilla cream. The more tannic oak wood flavors show up big time on the finish. Heavy mouthfeel to this one as well. I was expecting not to like this beer, and in spite its heavy handed over the top nature , I actually enjoyed it.

3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle: Poured a light copper color ale with a medium head with average retention. Aroma of malt is pretty discreet with some noticeable English hops. Taste has some recognisable floral malt with a slightly bitter finish. I’m not too sure about the oak aged aspect since I thought it was hard to distinguish and almost seems like a marketing gimmick…

2.64/5  rDev -30%

10/05/05- Purchased at the BC Provincial Liquor Store in Invermere, B.C.

Presentation- 11.2oz clear bottle with no dates on the bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Copper colored pour with a 1/2 inch head and minor lace.

Smell- Have a feeling that this may have been a skunked bottle. Not really any whiskey or oak scents here. Smelled like wet cardboard and ashes. Very bad scent.

Taste- Luckily barely any of the skunk was in the flavor. Thin malt flavor with a touch of oak. Could taste a bit of whiskey, but not much to speak of. Had a small portion of that ashes taste though.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, a tad watery and thin. Touch creamy.

Drinkability- I'll pass on this one again unless I find it straight from the cask...then I would give it another shot.

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

Cool; this beer smells like an old whiskey barrel. The colour is much like Lagavulin. The taste is malt tempered with the taste of the barrel. Totally original in flavour and more importantly tastes great. I will buy a half dozen for the cellar to see where this beer will go in a year.

2.95/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Caramel colour, with only a little head.

S: Sweet caramel, slightly fruity like a sherry.

T: Quite complex. After the oak aging, I expected it to be smoother. Caramel, sweet flavour that seemed a little tainted... though not tart at all.

M: Light-to-moderate body & carbonation.

D: I found it a little course & harsh. I certainly didn't want a second. I think I'll save one to see if it mellows with age.

It's worth a try, but certainly NOT a solid choice.

Clear amber topped by a dense, cream coloured head. Good head retention and a bit of lacing. Whiskey aroma with some woodiness and a bit of vanilla. The hops seem a bit strange though. Vanilla and oak flavour throughout, a bit of toasty malt, and grassy hops hang on for a while. Whiskey lingers a bit at the finish along with a butterscotch sweetness. Alcohol is hidden well, but a warming sensation and spiciness builds as you make your way through the bottle. Smooth texture, maybe a bit of diacetyl, with moderately low carbonation. Quite interesting, the oak aging definitely makes for a unique character.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a magnificent copper, with a three-finger white head, that slowly becomes a nice lace.

Oak has a strong present in the smell. Also, vanilla is there

Hmm peculiar taste. The oak is there, but it is balanced with the alcohol. I like it.

Thin mouthfeel, and very smooth. Good carbonation, maybe just a wee bit on the heavy side.

Wow, this is truly an amazing beer. I recommend looking past the price ($3.15 for a 330mL bottle here), and experience the greatness yourself.

2.18/5  rDev -42.2%

Pours a clear orange/copper, big white head, not much lacing. Smell is citrus, strange oakiness, some vanilla bean, skunkiness. Taste is citrus, oaky vanilla, coffee, sweet caramel finish. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied, low carbonation and smooth. There was something about this beer I didn't like at all. Apparently others like it but this is the first beer I've ever dumped down the drain.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

This beer looks like a bottle of whiskey. Same thick clear glass bottle, label design and color. It pours the color of 15 year old Macallan with a generous head that lasts forever. Lacing is moderate. The aroma is of toasted malts, oak, vanilla and a berry fruityness. That taste is malty and quite sweet. Theres a spicey hop background and also a hefty dose of alcohol flavor. Oaky flavors are light, with vanilla and phenolics also evident. The mouthfeel is full with a thick carbonation and an unusual feel, maybe tannins associated with oak?

This is an interesting beer. Its very malty but I was expecting more nuance from a wood aged beer. Still nice tasting.

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

The pour put a honey colored ale in my glass with a puffy 3 finger cap. Soft carbonation. Aroma of sweet bready malts, caramel vanilla toffee with wisps of smokey whisky smells...sorry I didn’t get the "vanilla-orange" smells the brewer promised. Very full tasting ale...a wonderful whack of sweet toffee caramel malts hit you right off as soon as this abundant malt blend settles on your tongue you get hit with a rush of fruit like a mild cider with a wonderful woody-smokey-whisky like decernment..hops are trimmed way back exposing the luxurious malt character...finish is anticlimactic: wet, sweet, slightly smokey clean and smooth with a bready after taste. Hides the alcohol very well with the huge malt body...it only becomes detectable in the slow "warming" as you drink through a couple of these. A very nice twist on a scottish wee heavy...I’ll be looking to store a few of these away.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Handsome copper amber colour with a short head and only some lace. Clear and sharp looking.

Nose is interesting, but odd. Coconut laid over a hint of scotch which gives it some earthiness. Takes a few whiffs to wrap your head around.

Mouthfeel is full and soft, almost oily. Taste is unusual for a beer, but may well appeal to a scotch drinker which I am not. Noticeable vanilla flavour and almost too sweet to enjoy.

I am of mixed views on this beer. It's interesting in it's way and worth a try for that, but I don't think it's something I could see drinking a lot of. Better warm than real cold.

Update: I've had a few more of these an have come to develop more of a taste for the brew as I've wrapped my head around it. It now ranks as an occasional fave and I'm also enjoying the variations of this beer that are available.

3.72/5  rDev -1.3%

This is not a complex beer like oaked arrogant B, its wood and some whiskey. But its a worthwhile changeup. It looks and smells whisky. Significant sediment at end, yet freshly imported, wich was not a put off. A bit of sourness in mid-sip, soapiness in finish.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

My girlfriend brought me back a couple beers from Britain and Ireland, including two English Pale Ales: this and Speckled Hen. I'm reviewing them together to compare.

Appearance: Both are a beautiful, crystal-clear dark reddish-gold. Minimal head, but good lacing.

Smell: More complex than the Speckled Hen, I&G has the hops, but also has a more pronounced malt character in the nose. There's also some butterscotchy diacetyl.

Taste: The butteriness and maltiness contast well with the floral hops. Well-balanced and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Nice and creamy.

Drinkability: Hey, nice beer. Way to go, Andrea. Kicks Speckled Hen's ass all over the island.

4.48/5  rDev +18.8%

330ml clear bottle poured in a pint glass.

Clear, light brown to caramel amber colour. Looks like that nice bronzed tan so many people are always looking for. Big frothy light beige to off-white head on the pour rises up 1.5 inches before receding to a modest 1/8 inch. Lots of sticky lacing throughout the glass.

When I first popped the cap on this baby, I instantly thought, "Damn clear bottle! This one's skunky!" but after the pour once I actually took a whiff it doesn't smell as skunky, instead there are big woody (presumably oak) tones with strong malts backing it up and hints of a little skunk and hops for balance.

This is beer is quite complex. Almost too complex for me to properly describe, but I'll do my best. Starts off at the swallow with sweet caramel then blends smoothly into malts. There are notes of bitter hops popping in and out at various different spots with each sip. The finish is woody, oaky, with that whisky bite to it and fades into a slight vanilla taste. Aftertaste is long and lingering with a predominant orange zest tanginess to it.

Moderate carbonation, medium bodied and a nice clean silky feeling left in your mouth. Very, very nice.

What else can I say besides "Wow." I picked this up on a whim this afternoon. I didn't even read the neck label stating IBC 2004 Supreme Champion until I went to pop the cap. Talk about a good pick up. This really is a unique beer. Atleast I certainly have never had anything like this. There's just something facinating in the taste. Seems like each time I take a sip the principle flavours may be the same, but the supporting cast appear on stage at differing times. Towards the end of the glass I definitely feel a little warmer. Not the best for a hot summer night, but this is a treat at any time. As the days get colder, I plan on stocking up on some of this.

3.17/5  rDev -15.9%

Tasted on 29th June 2005, best by date 25 Feb 06, 330 ml clear embossed bottle with nice label, but why clear? Looked like an alcopop.
Removed cap, strong peaty smell released.
Poured into stemmed beer glass, copper coloured clear with good carbonation and nice head.
Smelled very nice, of smoky peat and straw.
Taste bitter with even more bitter aftertaste, reasonable mouthfeel.
Nice lacing on the glass, just sufficient head remaining throughout. Taste improved a little after halfway, maybe because of warming slightly. Drinkability: sorry to say but I would not fancy another. This beer is well presented, but it is not a beer for me.

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

A pleasure to come across this stuff. Not the limited edition, apparently their regular run, the 2004 IBC Supreme Champ. Classy embossed bottle, albeit clear. Best before date on bottle states Feb of '06.

Pours out a clear caramel hued amber, not much head on the pour, but a thin layer of retention that struggles to cling on. The aroma on this ale is a knock-out, truly impressive. Whiskey is what immediately greets the nose, sour mash bourbon no doubt, accompanied by a rich toffee, wood and peat characteristics, finished with some citrus. Wow. The flavour is just as good. Earthy wood notes with some sour whiskey, dates and currents blending in the middle with some vanilla bean, with a mild dried fruit finish accompanied by lemon, and a lip-smacking vanilla aftertaste. Wow. The mouthfeel is light, smooth and velvety, I had expected a denser texture for the flavour, but this makes for an easier quaffer, in fact deceptively easy to drink for the abv%. Easily a fine session ale, I am incredibly pleased to have stumbled across some of this, and will be stocking up on a lot more in the near future. Will recommend it highly to my friends, and anyone else who'll listen as well. My lips are coated with vanilla bean oil at the moment as I find myself at the bottom of the glass, I am very content.

2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured a clear coppery colour with a very thin head despite an aggressive pour. Perhaps aging takes away some of the head?

The smell is a battle between two strong smells. Vanilla and scotch-whiskey. The vanilla smell is borderline coconut and the scotch smell is very peaty. It's just not something I expect as a beer smell, but at the same time I can't say that it's a bad smell.

Taste is sweet up front with a long drawn out scotch finish. Like drinking scotch on the rocks or neat, the finish to this beer is very un-beer like. From beginning to end there is a vanilla flavour on top of everything. Strong, but not overpowering. Vanilla is also what stands out as the lasting flavour a minute after the last sip. I find it a bit unfortunate that vanilla is the dominant flavour, as i'd say any other one of the lesser flavours dominating would make this beer more pleasing to me personally.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a bit of thickness to it, like a well chilled scotch, and the carbonation is playful, not rough.

I really wanted to like this beer. From the classy presentation(nice looking bottle/label) to the relative newness of the beer(only 15 reviews prior to mine) to the nice ratings I saw so far, everything looked good. In the end though, this beer isn't for me. I like scotch as much as the next guy, but that vanilla really blows the effect for me. Knock off the vanilla and highlight more of the toffee and I'd be loving it.

Certainly worth checking out for any beer lover though, there certainly are people out there that like this, and will like this.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

A unique clear bottle, unassuming, with a small label showing some oak barrels, and a smaller label showing the signatures of the approver for bottling, and the master brewer. The back label tells the tale of the "77-day" beer. Poured into a regular beer glass, a good 5 cm of bone-white head forms, sitting atop a tangerine, light brown beer. The head is healthy, creamy, and churned slowly, even after sipping for a few minutes. Thick bubbles of lacing cling to the side tenaciously, and after the beer is done, thick crusted lacing drys on the glass. Sweet honey aromas on my initial smell, and yes, a definite dryness of wet oak. I get mouthwatering notes of maple syrup. When the beer warms a little, the woody, tree-bark smells are definitely prominent, adding an incredibly unique nuance to the aroma, somehow smelling dry and sweet at the same time. Other than the oak, delicious but subtle English hops give this a similar smell in some ways to other English Pales, but with a definite syrupy, sugary backing of malt. The light orange notes remind me of some Belgian Pale Ales. Magnificent and complex aromas. The first sensation in the mouth is the very thick body of the beer, rich and mouth-filling, almost oily or velvety on the tongue. Up front, alcohol with honey-malt and the bittering effect of the oak, akin to Scotch, without the 40% alcohol content. In the middle there is more toffee and resinous malt, some nut-flavours, and even light sourness. The finish is by far the best part of this beer: sherry, vinous notes with oak and sweet honey. The combination is masterful, and on the very first sip you can tell this is no ordinary English Pale Ale. Rather than the hops playing the bittering role, it seems the strong oak taste takes that place. I am left with almost no hop presence. I taste a DEFINITE sherry taste in the finish. Sweet and unctuous. The velvet mouthfeel and the delicious sweetness render this extremely drinkable for me personally. This beer is a real treat: contemplative and complex, but perfect for drinking with a good friend some night.

(Thanks to Dave at Willow Park for getting me this before it was even on their shelf.)

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours a startling copper/gold with a dense creamy head on top that is well-supported by lovely effervescence underneath.

From a foot away I can smell the caramel. Sweet luscious malts are hidden under that pillowy white head... Smooth and soft, with the subtlest of oak nuances, it delivers an easy-drinking ale. Hardly the barest hint of hops at all. I could drink this all night long, if only I had more. It is a beautiful beer.

4.45/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

YAHOO this was a nice surprise!! The bottle is very classy looking, yet surprisingly the beer is in a clear bottle!! One would think that when they take such care to make such a beautiful product they would want to take better precautions. I will say, however, the fact that it was clear actually made it look really pretty.

Enough about the bottle...the color was clear and copper. There was very little head to the beer but I really didn't care, because just as soon as I could see it, I could smell that wonderful Whisky aroma!! I was not at all let down by the taste either, the whisky taste was quite smooth and this may have been the first time I have had a beer under 7% aged in oak, and I have to say, it was a great thing, because there was no alcohol taste to battle with the lovely whisky aromas and tastes!! The drinkability of this was great all around. The mouthfeel improved as it warmed up.

This was just one bottle we brought back from the UK and I wish we had known how nice it was going to be...looks like I have to go back!!

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%

Presented in a clear (why?) bottle and no visible freshness date. It pours a light copper with a nice white head that leaves some foam on the glass. Some malt and whiskey notes make through the rather overwhelming smell of run-over-three-days-ago skunk. I've had better bottles of this, but this one is really bad. Why should they put it in clear bottles and let this happen to an otherwise lovely beer? Not impressed. Sweet honey and malt in the taste with some oaky and whiskey hints. Mercifully not much of the skunkiness. A rather tasty beer, and certainly very good when you have a good bottle of the stuff. Nice mouthfeel and drinkable, but why the clear bottles. I shouldn't rant. It is a good beer, just plug your nose.

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

Nice fancy,important looking bottle.
Dark golden/amber coulored ale, nice sized frothy white head.
A quite strong and distinctive aroma,hoppy and backed by strong malt, with very woody tones.
This is a rather strange beer to taste, it is sweer,honeyish mostly with very woody,whisky and sherry like undertones, slight hop bite and aftertaste.
Wonderfully smooth on the palte,impressive.
An unusual beer but very nice I would recommend it.

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

The colour is medium dark copper red; the large compact foam is beige, firm and stable with a small crater.

The smell is generous and complex, I found notes of honey, bitter hops, fruit candy drops, wheat flour, raisins, dried dates and even a touch of tulips.

The carbonation is mild and refreshing with lots of small bubbles.

The taste is full-bodied with a complex cask-matured whiskey feel. There are flavours of wood (cedar, oak and sandal wood), honey and some bitter hops. The taste is very balanced. The quite long aftertaste is somewhat dry and bitter with some smoky whisky-notes.

This is a very nice and a bit different ale of an excellent quality!

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn