Microbrew Invitational

Style: Scottish Ale

Added by UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003

Reviews: 437 | Ratings: 1,037
4.16/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured my first bottle of this brew into a Hobgoblin glass. Deep, thick-looking honey coloured beer with a very fizzy head that would seem to imply heavy carbonation -- but it isn't!

I was almost turned off this beer by the smell -- somewhat unpleasant, and not what I had expected at all. I actually had an 'I hate clear bottles' moment and thought it was skunked. Taking a little more time, though, I did detect a strong, sweet malty note, with almost no bitterness, as well as some plums, honey, and overcooked vegetables (this was not necessarily as unpleasant as it sounds).

Anyway, once I took a sip, I was pleasantly surprised. Any skunk that I'd detected earlier disappeared, and instead I was treated to very sweet malty flavours, almost cakey, with some sugarcane, roots, and other plants in there. A great, thick mouthfeel makes this beer very satisfying and drinkable. Looking forward to the second bottle!

3.54/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Very light caramel colour. No head, though their are a bit of bubbles. Smells lightly of toffee, caramel, dark soil... Something else as well. A type of candy. I know what the candy is, I just can't think of the damn name. It was a candy my great grandfather had. Unfortunately, the only candy I can think of is humbugs, and I know damn well that is wrong. Taste is quite simple. Caramel, toffee, eathiness/grass, along with that candy that I can't remember the name of. Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel. Would make a decent session ale, despite the ABV content.

3.04/5  rDev -19.4%

Appearance: light golden brown, great clarity, narrow layer of spongey off-white foam

Aroma: butterscotch, hint of skunk, bit of oak

Flavor: malty sweet, faint sourness, skunky hops, butterscotch, finishes semidry with a whiskey-malty aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium body, fine carbonation, soft texture

Other comments: Though I'd be hard-pressed at the moment to say exactly why, I definitely like the 2005 Limited Edition more than this standard one. Whether it's because the LE came in a box and was not skunked or if it's because it's a different beer, I don't know. Wasn't impressed with this one, though.

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Clear orange-brown big head and lots of lacing.

Smell: Very different. Smells of whiskey maybe. Rum also comes to mind.

Taste: Bitter and dry. This one has a very concentrated sort of flavour. Alcohol is very pronounced and a smokey whiskey flavours really come through.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but very smooth. Attacks the tongue at first but quickly mellows.

Drinkability: I dunno. It's tasty, no question, but I may have trouble putting away too many of these (could be deja vu thing from my college days and harder liquors...).

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Looks good on the pour. A dark brown with a slight head with a little bit of lacing.

Now I smelled this when it was cold, and it reminded me of Malt Vinegar, turned my stomach. now as it warmed, which I am assuming is ideal for this brew, it reminded me of a good scotch, with a slight smoothness to the malty aromas. (basing my rating on a slightly warmed sample).

Taste takes some getting used to. VERY malty. Reminiscent of malts used in scotch, but the finish is nice and a slight bitterness entails. After a few sips you get used to it and it holds it's own pretty good.

Mouthfeel is exceptional, unique. Smooth creamyness makes it way with the malted flavors, certainly redeems the overpowering malt flavors contained within.

Overall pretty drinkable, Interesting to say the least. Definitely worth a try.

4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

330 ml clear bottle, embossed around the label. Small neck label notes IBC 2004 Supreme Champion, while back label explains the oak aging process, and description of the beer. High expectations from reading all of this - was not disappointed.
A 'honey-hued beer', reminds me of the color of scotch typically aged in in their 'hand selected oak barrels'. It pours clear, leaving a thin cap of foam and minor lacing. There is definatley some oak barrel smell, malt, woody, a bit smokey. There was the slightest whiff of skunk when it was first cracked, but that smell didn't last. Lots of flavors, very complex, hard to pick out one overly strong trait. More of the smells are present in the taste including woodiness, nuts, smoke, and some whiskey flavors that linger. Lots of carbonation, felt light on the tongue. And the higher alcohol warms all the way down. I would keep this around as a sipping beer, to enjoy the complexity slowly. A uniquely brewed product.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Clear bottle, why? Without fresness indication. Pours clear light almond, light tan head, leaving thick creamy lacing, with just a few bubbles rising to the top. Faint nose of peaty malt. Slightly smokey ale, soft notes of vanilla and some soggy orange citrus notes. Decent ale with some asperations of complexity, over 6% well in the background. Worth a try.

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%

served in a nice clear glass bottle, pretty presentation anyways. This is a very nice looking beer. Frothy head, pretty lacing. Darker orange colouring. A great looking glass of beer.

Smell is initially skunky. Is that the distance travelled + clear glass bottle? Nice dark spicy hoppiness in the nose, smells like a much darker beer. I am quite impressed with the taste of this beer. Hoppy sweetness, a dark stout maltiness. The oak aging in scotch barrels really comes through strongly at times. I love scotch, and this beer marries two of my liquor loves together quite nicely. A bit thinner in the mouth than I prefer, but the 6.6ABV is hidden very well. Very drinkable, someday in Edinburgh I'll be sure to drink this along with all the fine whisky offerings of Scotland. Too bad about the price here in Manitoba though.

3.37/5  rDev -10.6%

Bright copper in colour with a medium amount of carbonation. Interesting aromas of vanilla, fruity British yeast, light malt, and marshmallow. The flavors are very sweet on the front end with elements of caramel, light fruit, licorice, and vanilla cream. The more tannic oak wood flavors show up big time on the finish. Heavy mouthfeel to this one as well. I was expecting not to like this beer, and in spite its heavy handed over the top nature , I actually enjoyed it.

3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle: Poured a light copper color ale with a medium head with average retention. Aroma of malt is pretty discreet with some noticeable English hops. Taste has some recognisable floral malt with a slightly bitter finish. I’m not too sure about the oak aged aspect since I thought it was hard to distinguish and almost seems like a marketing gimmick…

2.64/5  rDev -30%

10/05/05- Purchased at the BC Provincial Liquor Store in Invermere, B.C.

Presentation- 11.2oz clear bottle with no dates on the bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Copper colored pour with a 1/2 inch head and minor lace.

Smell- Have a feeling that this may have been a skunked bottle. Not really any whiskey or oak scents here. Smelled like wet cardboard and ashes. Very bad scent.

Taste- Luckily barely any of the skunk was in the flavor. Thin malt flavor with a touch of oak. Could taste a bit of whiskey, but not much to speak of. Had a small portion of that ashes taste though.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, a tad watery and thin. Touch creamy.

Drinkability- I'll pass on this one again unless I find it straight from the cask...then I would give it another shot.

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

Cool; this beer smells like an old whiskey barrel. The colour is much like Lagavulin. The taste is malt tempered with the taste of the barrel. Totally original in flavour and more importantly tastes great. I will buy a half dozen for the cellar to see where this beer will go in a year.

2.95/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Caramel colour, with only a little head.

S: Sweet caramel, slightly fruity like a sherry.

T: Quite complex. After the oak aging, I expected it to be smoother. Caramel, sweet flavour that seemed a little tainted... though not tart at all.

M: Light-to-moderate body & carbonation.

D: I found it a little course & harsh. I certainly didn't want a second. I think I'll save one to see if it mellows with age.

It's worth a try, but certainly NOT a solid choice.

Clear amber topped by a dense, cream coloured head. Good head retention and a bit of lacing. Whiskey aroma with some woodiness and a bit of vanilla. The hops seem a bit strange though. Vanilla and oak flavour throughout, a bit of toasty malt, and grassy hops hang on for a while. Whiskey lingers a bit at the finish along with a butterscotch sweetness. Alcohol is hidden well, but a warming sensation and spiciness builds as you make your way through the bottle. Smooth texture, maybe a bit of diacetyl, with moderately low carbonation. Quite interesting, the oak aging definitely makes for a unique character.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a magnificent copper, with a three-finger white head, that slowly becomes a nice lace.

Oak has a strong present in the smell. Also, vanilla is there

Hmm peculiar taste. The oak is there, but it is balanced with the alcohol. I like it.

Thin mouthfeel, and very smooth. Good carbonation, maybe just a wee bit on the heavy side.

Wow, this is truly an amazing beer. I recommend looking past the price ($3.15 for a 330mL bottle here), and experience the greatness yourself.

2.18/5  rDev -42.2%

Pours a clear orange/copper, big white head, not much lacing. Smell is citrus, strange oakiness, some vanilla bean, skunkiness. Taste is citrus, oaky vanilla, coffee, sweet caramel finish. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied, low carbonation and smooth. There was something about this beer I didn't like at all. Apparently others like it but this is the first beer I've ever dumped down the drain.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

This beer looks like a bottle of whiskey. Same thick clear glass bottle, label design and color. It pours the color of 15 year old Macallan with a generous head that lasts forever. Lacing is moderate. The aroma is of toasted malts, oak, vanilla and a berry fruityness. That taste is malty and quite sweet. Theres a spicey hop background and also a hefty dose of alcohol flavor. Oaky flavors are light, with vanilla and phenolics also evident. The mouthfeel is full with a thick carbonation and an unusual feel, maybe tannins associated with oak?

This is an interesting beer. Its very malty but I was expecting more nuance from a wood aged beer. Still nice tasting.

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

The pour put a honey colored ale in my glass with a puffy 3 finger cap. Soft carbonation. Aroma of sweet bready malts, caramel vanilla toffee with wisps of smokey whisky smells...sorry I didn’t get the "vanilla-orange" smells the brewer promised. Very full tasting ale...a wonderful whack of sweet toffee caramel malts hit you right off as soon as this abundant malt blend settles on your tongue you get hit with a rush of fruit like a mild cider with a wonderful woody-smokey-whisky like decernment..hops are trimmed way back exposing the luxurious malt character...finish is anticlimactic: wet, sweet, slightly smokey clean and smooth with a bready after taste. Hides the alcohol very well with the huge malt body...it only becomes detectable in the slow "warming" as you drink through a couple of these. A very nice twist on a scottish wee heavy...I’ll be looking to store a few of these away.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Handsome copper amber colour with a short head and only some lace. Clear and sharp looking.

Nose is interesting, but odd. Coconut laid over a hint of scotch which gives it some earthiness. Takes a few whiffs to wrap your head around.

Mouthfeel is full and soft, almost oily. Taste is unusual for a beer, but may well appeal to a scotch drinker which I am not. Noticeable vanilla flavour and almost too sweet to enjoy.

I am of mixed views on this beer. It's interesting in it's way and worth a try for that, but I don't think it's something I could see drinking a lot of. Better warm than real cold.

Update: I've had a few more of these an have come to develop more of a taste for the brew as I've wrapped my head around it. It now ranks as an occasional fave and I'm also enjoying the variations of this beer that are available.

3.72/5  rDev -1.3%

This is not a complex beer like oaked arrogant B, its wood and some whiskey. But its a worthwhile changeup. It looks and smells whisky. Significant sediment at end, yet freshly imported, wich was not a put off. A bit of sourness in mid-sip, soapiness in finish.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

My girlfriend brought me back a couple beers from Britain and Ireland, including two English Pale Ales: this and Speckled Hen. I'm reviewing them together to compare.

Appearance: Both are a beautiful, crystal-clear dark reddish-gold. Minimal head, but good lacing.

Smell: More complex than the Speckled Hen, I&G has the hops, but also has a more pronounced malt character in the nose. There's also some butterscotchy diacetyl.

Taste: The butteriness and maltiness contast well with the floral hops. Well-balanced and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Nice and creamy.

Drinkability: Hey, nice beer. Way to go, Andrea. Kicks Speckled Hen's ass all over the island.

4.48/5  rDev +18.8%

330ml clear bottle poured in a pint glass.

Clear, light brown to caramel amber colour. Looks like that nice bronzed tan so many people are always looking for. Big frothy light beige to off-white head on the pour rises up 1.5 inches before receding to a modest 1/8 inch. Lots of sticky lacing throughout the glass.

When I first popped the cap on this baby, I instantly thought, "Damn clear bottle! This one's skunky!" but after the pour once I actually took a whiff it doesn't smell as skunky, instead there are big woody (presumably oak) tones with strong malts backing it up and hints of a little skunk and hops for balance.

This is beer is quite complex. Almost too complex for me to properly describe, but I'll do my best. Starts off at the swallow with sweet caramel then blends smoothly into malts. There are notes of bitter hops popping in and out at various different spots with each sip. The finish is woody, oaky, with that whisky bite to it and fades into a slight vanilla taste. Aftertaste is long and lingering with a predominant orange zest tanginess to it.

Moderate carbonation, medium bodied and a nice clean silky feeling left in your mouth. Very, very nice.

What else can I say besides "Wow." I picked this up on a whim this afternoon. I didn't even read the neck label stating IBC 2004 Supreme Champion until I went to pop the cap. Talk about a good pick up. This really is a unique beer. Atleast I certainly have never had anything like this. There's just something facinating in the taste. Seems like each time I take a sip the principle flavours may be the same, but the supporting cast appear on stage at differing times. Towards the end of the glass I definitely feel a little warmer. Not the best for a hot summer night, but this is a treat at any time. As the days get colder, I plan on stocking up on some of this.

3.17/5  rDev -15.9%

Tasted on 29th June 2005, best by date 25 Feb 06, 330 ml clear embossed bottle with nice label, but why clear? Looked like an alcopop.
Removed cap, strong peaty smell released.
Poured into stemmed beer glass, copper coloured clear with good carbonation and nice head.
Smelled very nice, of smoky peat and straw.
Taste bitter with even more bitter aftertaste, reasonable mouthfeel.
Nice lacing on the glass, just sufficient head remaining throughout. Taste improved a little after halfway, maybe because of warming slightly. Drinkability: sorry to say but I would not fancy another. This beer is well presented, but it is not a beer for me.

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

A pleasure to come across this stuff. Not the limited edition, apparently their regular run, the 2004 IBC Supreme Champ. Classy embossed bottle, albeit clear. Best before date on bottle states Feb of '06.

Pours out a clear caramel hued amber, not much head on the pour, but a thin layer of retention that struggles to cling on. The aroma on this ale is a knock-out, truly impressive. Whiskey is what immediately greets the nose, sour mash bourbon no doubt, accompanied by a rich toffee, wood and peat characteristics, finished with some citrus. Wow. The flavour is just as good. Earthy wood notes with some sour whiskey, dates and currents blending in the middle with some vanilla bean, with a mild dried fruit finish accompanied by lemon, and a lip-smacking vanilla aftertaste. Wow. The mouthfeel is light, smooth and velvety, I had expected a denser texture for the flavour, but this makes for an easier quaffer, in fact deceptively easy to drink for the abv%. Easily a fine session ale, I am incredibly pleased to have stumbled across some of this, and will be stocking up on a lot more in the near future. Will recommend it highly to my friends, and anyone else who'll listen as well. My lips are coated with vanilla bean oil at the moment as I find myself at the bottom of the glass, I am very content.

2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured a clear coppery colour with a very thin head despite an aggressive pour. Perhaps aging takes away some of the head?

The smell is a battle between two strong smells. Vanilla and scotch-whiskey. The vanilla smell is borderline coconut and the scotch smell is very peaty. It's just not something I expect as a beer smell, but at the same time I can't say that it's a bad smell.

Taste is sweet up front with a long drawn out scotch finish. Like drinking scotch on the rocks or neat, the finish to this beer is very un-beer like. From beginning to end there is a vanilla flavour on top of everything. Strong, but not overpowering. Vanilla is also what stands out as the lasting flavour a minute after the last sip. I find it a bit unfortunate that vanilla is the dominant flavour, as i'd say any other one of the lesser flavours dominating would make this beer more pleasing to me personally.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a bit of thickness to it, like a well chilled scotch, and the carbonation is playful, not rough.

I really wanted to like this beer. From the classy presentation(nice looking bottle/label) to the relative newness of the beer(only 15 reviews prior to mine) to the nice ratings I saw so far, everything looked good. In the end though, this beer isn't for me. I like scotch as much as the next guy, but that vanilla really blows the effect for me. Knock off the vanilla and highlight more of the toffee and I'd be loving it.

Certainly worth checking out for any beer lover though, there certainly are people out there that like this, and will like this.

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn