Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged BeerInnis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003)
metter98

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

A: It poured crystal clear amber in color with a thin head that dissipated quickly into just a few bubbles on the surface. A very light amount of carbonation is visible.
S: The aroma is moderate to strong and is a pleasant mélange of toffee, vanilla and oak.
T: The initial taste is predominantly toffee and is followed by notes of oak and vanilla. Malty flavors are not very pronounced and there is no hop presence.
M: It feels light-bodied and very smooth on the palate. There isn't a lot of carbonation.
D: The beer goes down very smoothly due to the light body.

06-17-2010 22:10:03 | More by metter98
2muchbeer2daface

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Very good a medium golden color with good head.

S: Excellent, good smell of toffee, nuts, and oak, with a hint of vanilla.

T: A bit lighter of a beer than I am used to, but with that being said, excellent! Vanilla, toffee and oak blend exceptionally for a smooth taste.

M: Very good, good head and feel.

D: Excellent, could use a bit more strength for my taste, but light enough so you could drink these all day if you could afford them.

06-15-2010 16:48:14 | More by 2muchbeer2daface
Clutch28

Saskatchewan (Canada)

2.05/5  rDev -45.6%

A: Pale amber, almost Scotch whisky type color.

S: Skunky to the extreme. I understand the idea behind the bottle is to show of the color but when you cannot get past the skunkiness on the aroma, then it's time to look to dark glass as a better option.

T: I don't know if i got a sub-standard bottle or it was the wait in shipping or long shelf time but I got a huge hit of skunk on the palate. Touches of vanilla and oak dryness come through but very late and nearly non-existant. Sadly a skunky finish to this as well.

M: medium-light to medium

D: Due to the poor condition of the bottle I cannot give this a pass on drinkability. I will choke this down as it cost near 4 dollars Canadian a bottle but I'm less then impressed with this bottle.

Innis and Gunn are said to be one of the world newer classics and sadly due to the condition of the beer itself I see little in this bottle that i can concur with that statement.

Perhaps if they gave up the clear bottle experiment and switched to darker glass then I'd be raving. Perhaps due to it's Scotch whisky origins maybe green glass? but overall on this bottle I give a major pass. I'm very disappointed as I was looking forward to this beer.

05-28-2010 18:42:46 | More by Clutch28
CudOfCow

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Served-12oz bottle poured into pint glass

Appearence-Clear amber, pretty normal looking beer with a small head if any.

Aroma-Ohhh soo good!!! Very Toffee, nutty, sweet and malty. Just a tinge of vanilla oak.

Taste-WOW! Was not expecting it to be so delicious, very sweet like cream soda, vanilla caramel, oak and toffee. Fantastic malty burps!

Mouthfeel-Crisp and refreshing, absolutely perfect on a hot summer day.

Drinkability-If i ever win a bunch of money, I will drink this all day, everday. It's just that good. But it's so expensive.

Notes-Get this beer for yourself on special occasions, the day you get a new job, on your graduation. This is a "pat yourself on the back" kind of beer.

05-21-2010 17:45:18 | More by CudOfCow
skullsplitter

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Nice honey and amber color. The head was somewhat soapy with a pretty decent retention. Nicely carbonated.

S - The smell was very malty with small notes of vanilla.

T - The vanilla and oak hit you right away. I taste a little bit of the toffee but not too much. The taste is pretty straightforward but very enjoyable.

M - As expected from a Pale Ale. Nothing special but certainly not bad. Generally I don't go for Pale ales so I don't really have much to compare it to.

D - It's a very well balanced beer which makes it quite easy to drink. I thoroughly enjoyed this and drank it faster than I probably should have.

04-30-2010 13:58:05 | More by skullsplitter
Manoftyr

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

Appearence-Pours a clear amber with slight ruby tinges, a small head rises and disipates; looks fairly typical.

Aroma-Buttery toffee notes assail the palette followed by nuttiness and slight hints of oakey vanilla.

Taste-The vanilla and oak notes come forth first on the tongue taking center stage and lasting all the way to the finish while balanced on a blanket of toffe-like maltiness. It's pretty straightforward, but nonetheless quite yummy.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied, not heavy at all without being watery-thin; an excellent drinking consistency.

Drinkability-Extremely drinkable, very, very, very drinkable. Dangerously so given its relatively high price tag, you have to remind yourself to sip this one as you're in danger of quaffing it if you're not careful.

Notes-Wow, I really like this a lot more than I thought I would, I just may get it again.

04-17-2010 21:15:06 | More by Manoftyr
taylocd

Alabama

2.7/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured from 11.2 ounce bottle into tulip glass

A -The beer had a very nice pale translucent orange color. There was no head retention and one barely-there string of lacing.

S - It had a smell much like a thin whiskey. There was a faint sweet / citrus aroma to go with it.

T - The whiskey showed up in the taste the way that it would in a very weak and watered down whiskey and coke. The taste was odd in that it disappeared completely after swallowing. There was no aftertaste. The beer did not taste bad, but there was nothing 'good' about it either.

M - I struggled with this score; it was not impressive, but far from awful. It reminds me of the feel of light adjunct lager.

D - This was a tough score, too. Holding out the odd taste and mixed drink smell, it would be an easy, though not necessarily enjoyable, drinker

I am glad I tried this one, but only because it seems peculiar, not because it was a good brew; it is just much different than what I expected. It is not a bad beer, but I would not consider it again.

04-13-2010 01:29:54 | More by taylocd
Macca

Australia

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

This pours a dark amber colour with a slight off-white, generous head. Visible sediment.

The nose is dominated by the oak. Vanilla comes through a bit as well.

Toffee and oak mix well on the palate.

Medium bodied.

I was expecting something much more exciting than this. I even gave it heaps of time to open up and warm up but nothing special happened.

04-06-2010 08:52:37 | More by Macca
mjgarrett2

Maryland

A-Medium bodied dark tan. Excellent head.

S-Fruity, rich, and complex. Can diffidently detect some of the oak aged characteristics.

T-Slightly sweet, floral hops, and a touch of bite at the end (I suspect from the Rum barrels).

M-Nothing special but neutral and pleasant. The flavors do linger well after swallowing.

D-Has an enduring warmth and character. One bottle may not be enough.

04-03-2010 20:55:58 | More by mjgarrett2
BeerNemesis

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Innis & Gunn Oak Aged. 12 oz. Matured for 77 days.

freshest by: Nov. 20, 2010

Appearance:
It has a light honey/brandy color with a 0.5" head that quickly dissipates. There's a thin white film of lacing.

Aroma:
The nose is vanilla, caramel, toffee, and very strong malts. Oak pervades and surrounds all other smells. It's quite inviting actually.

Taste:
The flavor is unique from my experience of English pale ales. Honey is the main player, aided by a strong vanilla background. Slight hop bitterness and some toffee are also present. A bit oaky on the finish. It ends on a rather sticky note, and sort of just hangs to the roof of the mouth like a thin film of honey. Not bad!

Mouthfeel & Drinkability:
It's light bodied, and quite carbonated, which seems appropriate to the style. The fact that it's sweet but balanced, keeps drinkability high, although the sweetness becomes a little too pronounced towards the end of the first bottle.

Notes:
From the back of the bottle: "To make Innis & Gunn we hand-select barrels which are packed with the most delicious oak flavours. Over many weeks, our unique maturation slowly unlocks these flavours from deep inside the oak grain, the beer growing in character with every hour that passes. Only when it is matured to perfection do we bottle and release it. The result is a refreshing, honey-hued beer with aromas of vanilla and toffee, and a malty, lightly oaked finish."

03-16-2010 22:15:45 | More by BeerNemesis
knoxtennessee

Tennessee

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

The only thing off-putting about this beer was the slightly hazy appearance. It is understandable thought for a barrel aged beer to like brilliance. The nose was a wonderful medley of vanilla, caramel, coco nut, and malt. I could leave my nose in the snifter all night.

The flavor was a little less impressive than the nose. It consisted mostly of typical light ale character as well a an abundance of coco nut with hints of vanilla, citrus, and a dry oak finish. Most barrel aged beers I've sampled have a bit more vanilla/caramel and a little less coco nut in the flavor.

That being said it tasted good, had a great medium-light body, plenty of carbonation, and a dry finish that made it easy to drink the whole thing in a timely manner.

At only about four dollars for a big bottle, I'm sure it will become one of my regular "at home" beers.

03-16-2010 18:39:50 | More by knoxtennessee
Stunner97

4.78/5  rDev +26.8%

Appearance- dark orange to amber in color with a few small light bubbles streaming, small thin white head quickly fades, slight sediment could be seen,

Smell- strong malty smell, to me dominated by almost a light sweet espresso smell, vanilla, toffee and cream

Taste- very unique flavor actually for what you would ever expect from any circumstance in an english pale ale, a beautiful balance in both sweetness and a very slight hop bitterness that keeps that sugar in chech, definite vanilla and toffee flavors with also a slight noticeable wood from the oak, its overall a very sweet beer but really in a good way,this is a very complex and unique flavored beer to me but overall more then anything just very tasty,

Mouthfeel- very smooth and light to little carbonation, almost creamy smooth ness

Drinkability- I actually only wish this beer was a bit cheaper cuz I find this to be an amazing session beer though touch strong, its just so smooth and balanced, I really really enjoy the balance in this beer, the oak imparts a very nice smoothness and complexity, a beer I really do enjoy and would recommend as something worth trying for beer fans just out the unique flavor profile alone,

03-16-2010 03:06:51 | More by Stunner97
MegalomanX

2.78/5  rDev -26.3%

The appearance you can see in the bottle, because its clear. When I poured it, there was a small off white head which quickly disappeared. It smelled mostly of fruity esters maybe even slightly sour.

Additionally, the beer tasted different than expected. Upfront there is a very cidery taste with a little bit of mead-like honey taste. At the back you get a solid taste of the oak and the slightest sense of the bitterness. The flavors don't really come together to complete the beer. It tastes like a moving target shifting between an oak aged pale lager and a more cider/mead beer.

Maybe I got a weird bottle, so I'd try this again to see if it came together a bit better. On the other hand, If I tasted the intended flavor of the beer, I don't think I'll pick it up again.

03-10-2010 17:17:50 | More by MegalomanX
bobatundi

2.45/5  rDev -35%

Ok, I finally got around to tasting this beer. I don't know if it was the clear bottle, or if this just isn't a very good beer, but I swear, it tasted just like malt liquor. I've had some pretty skunked bottles of Newcastle that had a similar flavor. So I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say that I probably got a bad bottle--but, I can say for sure I won't ever buy it again, because if they don't respect their beer enough to put it in a brown bottle, I sure as hell ain't gonna pay $5 for another bottle of potential skunk-juice.

02-28-2010 04:53:51 | More by bobatundi
WesWes

4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

The beer pours a dark golden/amber color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is perfect. It has a kick ass oak character along with some pale and light crystal malts. It's creamy and buttery. I don't think I've ever experienced an aroma like this before; AWESOME! The taste is much the same. It's incredibly smooth with a basic pale and crystal malt base. The yeast creates a bit of fruity esters and the oak dominates and creates a wonderfully buttery mouthfeel. It's a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a terrific beer. I've gotta get a case of this stuff soon.

02-27-2010 21:42:46 | More by WesWes
berley31

New Brunswick (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Poured with an average-sized, white head that diminished fairly quickly to a thin film. Body is a copper color and completely clear.

S: Interesting aroma; could take some getting used to. All of the factors they mention on the label are there: toffee, vanilla, and especially, the oak. Strong, strong oak.

T: The oak is definitely the dominant taste, as well. The sweetness of the toffee adds an interesting contrast. The more I sip on this beer, the more it grows on me.

M: Body is kind of light, with an almost-oily texture... average carbonation.

D: I couldn't see me drinking more than one of these in one sitting, but I think I'd get it again, as, like I said, it was growing on me.

02-24-2010 21:36:52 | More by berley31
thespaceman

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12oz clear bottle into a pint glass at Smokin' With Chris in Southington, CT.

Appearance: Pours a dark gold in color, nice size head here with excellent lacing. Retention is decent. This really is a beautiful beer in the glass.

Smell: Up front I get a ton of vanilla, some oak and a huge aroma of sweet malt. Some honey and booze come into play as well here, making for an interesting amount of aromas going on. That classic English malt pops through here as well, it's sweet yet has a nice oaky expression to it.

Taste: This beer taste alot stronger then the 6.6% ABV insists, again from the smell I get alot of vanilla, oak and some honey here, sweetness from the malt really rolls around the tongue. I am also sensing a touch of mint? Almost like a menthol infused flavor. Some lighter fruit pairs together with a good dose English malt sweetness to finish this off.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, very round and sits on the tongue nicely. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: I see alot of people complaining about skunked beer and the clear bottles, obviously a clear bottle is the worst choice for this beer but the one I had from Smokin' With Chris had no signs at all of skunkiness or being dated. Overall a very interesting beer to say the least, the barrel aging really shows in the aromas and the taste. The kick of honey and light fruit really offset this beer from other EPA's. A great offering!

02-01-2010 19:06:22 | More by thespaceman
seand

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Pours a fairly clear slightly red amber, with a bubbly off white head. A layer of head retains, leaving decent lacing.

S: Sweet, slightly bready, slightly bitter. Definitely some skunkiness, so if you can get this fresh adjust the scores upward I'm sure.

T: A full bodied almost syrupy sweetness, finishing with a hoppy dryness.

M: Medium body, medium to light smooth carbonation, some chewyness.

D: Drinks quite easily.

Not a bad beer, though also not fantastic. I wouldn't be opposed to picking up another bottle in the future.

01-22-2010 02:21:31 | More by seand
WhiteOak

4.45/5  rDev +18%

Glass- INAO

A- Bright, dark amber/copper. Some lacing.

S- Sweet vanillin barrel oak, toasted barrel char, bourbon notes, buttered caramel popcorn, honeyed biscuit.

T- Sweet caramel maltiness, restrained and well integrated hops. When one gets a good bottle, this is a delicious beer.

M,D- Lovely balance and flavors compel one to enjoy this with ease.

Comments: PLEASE, Innis & Gunn, we know you are justifiably proud of the jewel-like color of this beer and want to show it off, but the clear bottle is capable of allowing the destruction of your product. The customer deserves a brown bottle and more assurance that they will not end up with a ruined beer from photodegradation. No one wants to gamble unnecessarily with a pricey product and find it skunked. The majority of the Oak Aged I&G I have purchased were in very good condition due to my selection of a supplier who has rapid turnover, but many have not been so lucky. A buyer at a very large local shop doesn't even want to carry the beer for this reason.

But I still love this beer, and recommend it to those who like the marriage of the malt and the oak.

01-16-2010 22:20:13 | More by WhiteOak
modus

2.17/5  rDev -42.4%

This beer was a gift from my parents on Christmas. I don't know if it was supposed to be this way, but it had a large amount of light sediment suspended in the bottle. My guess was that it was not supposed to be this way.

It poured nicely into a pint glass. Small- to regular-sized head.

The smell was revoltingly strong. I could smell the skunkiness 10 inches from my face. I hardly wanted to taste it.

The taste was hard to analyze over the putrid smell, but from what I could taste, there were hints of vanilla and possibly caramel.

I hope something was wrong with this particular bottle. I can't imagine a beer like this being intended to be this unpleasant to the senses.

01-08-2010 04:11:03 | More by modus
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

I picked this up at the LCBO on a whim. It pours a clear gold with a thin head. Thanks to the clear bottle, sulfur dominates the aroma. Some sweet malt and oak come through behind the skunkiness. Sweet malt hits the flavor upfront, with tangy, smooth oak flavor. There is a mild bitterness, but the sweet caramel malt is balanced mostly by the oak tannin. The finish is astringent with some nice woody, bourbon flavor that really lingers. The aftertaste is a little rough, and it doesn't lead me to grab another sip, making the beer hard to drink.

01-08-2010 01:13:16 | More by ericj551
StevenBilodeau

3.58/5  rDev -5%

This beer amazed me, looking at it at my store very seldom did I see it sell, but only to the beer geeks and advocates. This encouraged me to give it a go, so I took home two bottles of it. Expecting nothing great, I poured it into a large English Pint, and immediately you see some carbonation, but very little. A nice head arises, with fantastic lacing, that stays even after the beverage is gone. The taste is of wood, obviously from the oak barrels, vanilla, and a nice malty backbone. Sweet, however not a sugar bomb, delicious, and overwhelming. A great beer.

01-07-2010 08:56:56 | More by StevenBilodeau
CrellMoset

3.45/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottle courtesy of my father for Christmas - poured in to a brandy snifter, also given to me my brother for Christmas, engraved as follows:

"Christopher Dumler"
"Attorney"
"Beer Critic"
"Brother"

Pretty darn awesome. Many thanks to everyone! On to the review.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy brown amber, and doesn't look terribly thick - plenty of average sized but quick carbonation races to the top of this one, adding to a thin and persistent collar of creamy foam.

Aroma: Light barrel notes, wooden and green, lending hints of sweet wooden sugars and vanilla to a nondescript hop presence and a very English malt base.

Taste: A very dry, biscuity malt backbone - very traditionally British/Scottish - but, somehow, also, strangely, plenty of sweeter, higher residual sugars, likely courtesy of the barrel aging. Truly, the bottle says it all - "toffee, vanilla, and oak," and this one showcases all of them. The toffee blends reasonably well with the dry cracker-like notes, and provides a nice foundation for a ton of high, decidedly-British "estery" notes, probably part yeast strain and part green barrel, fruity, slightly appley. There's also a decent amount of hop bitterness and some spicy hop notes.

Mouthfeel: A fairly rough and uneven brew, largely a result of the ample carbonation copuled with a moderately thick body. There's also a slightly off afterfeel as well, sort of powdery and chalky.

Drinkability: This sort of thing is - on some level - what I remember beer tasting like. Not, like, a few years ago, but like, when my dad gave it to me as a child. Maybe that's why my dad bought it for me for Christmas? Either way, I wasn't too much a fan of it, though I appreciate it for what it is.

12-26-2009 02:43:23 | More by CrellMoset
Grunewald

British Columbia (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

A - poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass. It pours clear amber with a substantial head that left islands of lace.

S - wood, whiskey, vanilla, light creek smell (skunky), some citrus and fruit

T - vanilla malt, very light citrus/hop flavor hits with carbonation dissipation, finish is a very smooth transition into a mellow wood/nut flavor. The is a hint of lemon peel in the finish as well.

M - medium carbonation, medium body and a neutral finish that warms slightly

D - this is a nice mellow beer with a very neutral finish. It would make a good light desert beer (as opposed to porter/stout).

12-16-2009 08:29:24 | More by Grunewald
Brabander

Netherlands

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

I took this beer with me after an advice of Andy of the Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam. He told me as a real scottsman this would be a nice one to try. And it was!

It is a surprising beer with a very nice taste. I drank this one in a dutch beerglass. The beer looks like someone had done a pee in the bottle. It's a bit (much) yellowcouloured and the head is broken white.

The only thins i tasted really good was the honey inside the beer. A very surprising combination.

12-13-2009 20:47:51 | More by Brabander