Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged BeerInnis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003)
View: Beers (24) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Stephonovich

Connecticut

4.9/5  rDev +30%

I picked this up on a whim at a local liquor store; a bit pricey at $5.99 for a 33cl bottle, but I gave it a try.

I was quite impressed by the appearance, due to the clear bottle making the dark golden syrup so apparent. At the same time, I was somewhat bothered by the lack of a protective brown hue - hoping the light had not troubled it's precious content.

So, I chilled it down to 50F or so and poured it into a normal glass. My. God. I was floored. I was unaware that any beer could taste like that. It was smooth, beautiful, and had notes of vanilla, oak, honey, with malty overtones and a slight toffee aftertaste. Simply gorgeous.

The only fault I could find with it is it could use a slightly better mouthfeel - a bit thicker, I think, would suit it well.

Since then, I treat myself as often as possible to this sweet nectar. My only complaint is that it is not sold in 6 packs.

10-19-2009 23:27:44 | More by Stephonovich
TheKingsOfHop

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

~Recommended for us to try from csg01752...RIP~
22oz bomber poured into tulip shaped glasses:

A: Honey in color with a nice off white head. Looks like scotch with carbonation.

S: At first it smelt like a Macro Brew (your choice) with a hint of skunk "odd". Then after sitting for a couple of minutes it really starts to open up a lot, and you get hints of pure honey, green tea, and scotch. Really an amazing change after it warms up a little bit.

T: Amazing, honey with a vanilla oak flavor on the front of the palate, then in the middle heading towards the back of your throat you get scotch, caramel, and a nice smooth sweet finish that begs you to take another sip.

M: Thin, carbonated, but still smooth and creamy. Feels good for an English Pale Ale.

D: Very easy to drink, could almost make this a session beer. Highly enjoyable.... Thanks Craig

Cheers,
The Kings Of Hop

10-16-2009 01:25:42 | More by TheKingsOfHop
zoso493

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a straight-sided pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep honey color with a foamy one-finger head. Looks a lot like cream soda - a good thing in my book.

Smell: Smells a lot like scotch. Has a nice oaky tone with some vanilla, malts and even a whiff of alcohol. Pretty nice smell.

Taste: Tastes a lot like scotch, with some buttery malts and a slight, grassy hop finish at the end. The taste is just bit weak for my liking.

Mouthfeel: Nice and creamy and crisp. No complaints here.

Drinkability: This is pretty drinkable. Even at 6.6% ABV you could still drink a few of these.

This is a pretty solid brew and a real bargain for something put in oak barrels. If the flavor were a little stronger this would be a great brew, but as it is, it's still definitely worth a try.

10-14-2009 22:43:54 | More by zoso493
rkcrozier

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Similar to the other reviewers, the smell was uncannily like a watered down scotch. The bottle label says to serve well chilled but I actually like it when it warmed up a bit - the honey and oak were more prevalent. There was a nice frothy head which didn't stick around for long and there was some nice lacing. The color was a rusty honey hue. The mouthfeel and drinkability were both very good. My bro gave this to me as a birthday gift - I'll have to find out where he found it as I would like to try it again. Highly recommended for those that like scotch.

10-12-2009 12:12:14 | More by rkcrozier
SkunkWorks

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a nice honey color with a small head that dissipates relatively quickly. The aroma is the best part of the beer and is very oaky and smells like scotch. I definitely didn't notice any skunkiness that the other reviewers mentioned. The taste is best compared to watered down, lightly carbonated scotch. Drinkability is a bit low because, as it warms up, it becomes increasingly hard to swallow.

10-11-2009 22:47:48 | More by SkunkWorks
ludachris

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a clear, deep honey brown hue with less than a finger of white, foamy head. No retention and minimal lacing.

Deep smell of toffee, caramel, buttered bread, sweet malts, oak, whisky, vanilla, light fruity esters, grassy hops and a bit of skunk.

All the sweet flavours upfront, toffee, buttery malts and whisky being the most pronounced followed by a a crisp, light grassy hop finish. 6.6 ABV is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and creamy; very similar to their lightly oaked version. Excellent balance and a joy to drink.

Overall, this is my favorite version of the 3 Innis and Gunn's I've had. Rich creamy mouthfeel of the lightly oaked version paired with a wonderful complex smell and taste the Canada Day Anniversery seemed to lack. At approximately $3.50 a bottle, this is a beer for me to be enjoyed more modestly, but that won't stop me from buying another one down the road.

10-06-2009 02:18:12 | More by ludachris
Tom8Analise

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Looks like a Bud Light when poured into a glass. Sticks to the glass a little bit but only after swirling it around. Has a white foamy head.

S- Smells just like a skunk at first! But after swirling the glass around for a while a nice sweet honey scent comes threw.

T- Has a wonderful sweet taste! A lot of different flavors such as honey, vanilla and sugar! With all the flavors combined it almost gives it a green tea taste.

M- The mouthfeel is good ...Not to thick.. Not to thin...Just right!

D- Drinkability is good. Goes down nice and easy, maybe a little too easy... haha.I can definitely see myself going out and picking up another bottle to share with a couple of friends.

cheers,
Tom and Analise

10-02-2009 01:10:26 | More by Tom8Analise
Fraser44

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured out of a clear bottle into a pint glass

A - The best part about this beer. Poured a beautiful copper colour, really one of the best I've encountered. Poured fairly aggressively, but even so there was little head and didn't stick around at all, though the lacing was fairly nice.

S - Confused me to say the least. Heavy toffee smell that threw me off a bit while I was tasting it. Toffee covered any other aroma that there may be.

T - Again confusing. I expected a bit bolder of a flavour, but the over-dominant taste was peaty and smokey. Made me think I was drinking a weak scotch, which while not necessarily a bad thing, threw me off. Very faint hint of vanilla, but my problem is that it all seems too out of balance.

M - Pretty pleasant. The carbonation was key here, it was a great level of carbonation that was just right. Was smooth with a pleasant after-taste

Overall - I just don't know about this one. Really, as I think about it, it wasn't a bad beer, nor was it good. While I wasn't impressed with the taste this time around, I would definitely give it another try sometime.

09-29-2009 03:44:28 | More by Fraser44
benclimbs

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a copper amber with a slight head and minimal lacing...not that exciting but looks like a proper british pint.

Smell is really the downfall of this beer...WTF were they thinking putting a beer like this in a clear bottle??? light leaking leads to the obvious skunky, corona smell that dissipates a little after a couple minutes, smells like a cheap, crappy lager.

Taste is good, very pleasant with vanilla oak character, along with some smooth hazlenuts and, as the bottle says toffee. Its sweet but not heavy, great light dessert beer.

mouthfeel is thick and rich but not sticky.

Very drinkable, unique in the style as it does the light toffee/vanilla thing well. I would love to have a word with the head brewer and tell him he's a dumb ass for ruining the nose of a beer this good by putting it in clear glass!!!!

09-28-2009 20:18:49 | More by benclimbs
rickmick

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a clear bottle into a pint glass. Fortunately, the bottle wasn't skunked--I only purchased bottles from the back of the shelf. A nice foamy head rises, then quickly fades. The aroma is hints of toffee and vanilla, and scotch. The taste is unique. Malts up front, then a strong buttery note from the wood aging. Then you're hit with some alcohol.

Altogether a decent, but not mind-blowing brew. If you like oak aged beers, this one is a very good choice. However, its pricey, and in an invisible bottle.

09-28-2009 14:25:53 | More by rickmick
prosper

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a light gold with a thin head that fades quickly but leaves lots of lace. Light co2 streamers.

Smells of tart malt, herbal hops, honey, and some vanilla oak. Smell balance changes with the temperature - the honey and oak are more prominent when this is cold.

Taste is an interesting blend of sweet malts, some sort of orange citrus character, sweet vanilla oak, finishing with a slightly bitter peat, but no smoke. It's interesting, but not all good - it's not a chord of flavours, all balanced in harmony but a more unorganized noise of players, not all playing the same tune. Mostly, I think, is it's got too much hop character to let the oak and whisky shine through. Still, none of the flavours are BAD, and the overall impression IS interesting.

Mouthfeel is pleasant. Enough carbonation, but not too much. It doesn't quite become cloying, despite all the sweetness and other flavours.

Drinkability is pretty decent, actually. Tone down the alcohol a touch, and attenuate some of the strength of the flavours and this would make for a decent session beer.

09-27-2009 20:17:34 | More by prosper
BeTheBall

2.08/5  rDev -44.8%

Poured a clear bronze color with a creamy and thick head; some lacing down the glass. Smelled obviously very oaky and malty. Tasted to me like sweet scotch whiskey, not like beer. I had to struggle to keep drinikng it. Drinkability for me was bad, as the taste turns me off.
Not only did I drain pour half of my glass, but did the same with the remainder of the bottle. This flavor is just not me in any way.

09-18-2009 14:59:41 | More by BeTheBall
PEIBeerGuy

Prince Edward Island (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

I've had a few bottles of this stretched over the last year or so, and each is always just a shade different.

What a beautiful colour on this beer, which you can see right in the clear bottle. When poured, it forms a head a bit creamier than you might expect, and it sticks around for a couple of minutes. Even when most of it dissipates, a thin amount of head remains.

This is one of the few bottled/canned beers (out of the 150 or so I've tried) whose aroma has something different/special to offer. It's lighter than the flavour... a bit sharper. You can already smell the vanilla/toffee components.

I love the taste of this beer. Depending on the bottle (or perhaps other factors) it sometimes has a scotch-like aftertaste. There's a definite woodiness, combined with vanilla, toffee. While all those flavours help to explain it, the total package really is something special and unique.

The mouthfeel is good, but it isn't exceptional. Everything about the feel is good... nothing bad... nothing overly awesome, though, either.

This is one of my favourite beers (if not my most favourite). I love the look, smell, taste, the complexity, and the uniqueness of it. Out of all the different beers I've had, this is one of the very few I re-purchase when I go "International Beer Shopping" on the mainland.

09-07-2009 00:13:40 | More by PEIBeerGuy
BirdFlu

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Off the bat, this beer was the first time I considered allowing price to affect my drinkability rating.. I have opted not to really take it into account, though. The pour barely needs to be rated since its a clear bottle and you can see it clear. There is a decent head but it fades. The smell and flavor are whats really important here.. very, very strong vanilla.. its like cream soda, really. caramel, cream soda, and a complexity from the oak are all present. The smell is sweeter than the flavor, though, which doesn't get to the point of, say, a similar beer at a higher ABV (for better or for worse). The mouthfeel and drink are both good, nothing crazy to write home about but its got a full-body and it isn't too heavy at all, drinking quite easily.

09-06-2009 19:08:39 | More by BirdFlu
Evil_Pidde

Sweden

3.58/5  rDev -5%

A: This beer pours pale amber, with a large thick off white head, very compact. Leaves some lacings.

S: Butter! Then there is malt and some bitter hops, hard fruit candy and oak. And of course some whisky.

T: Sweetness from both malt and (my guess) the oakbarrels. Some vanilla and some bitter hops. Here are also whisky notes.

M: Fullbodied, but somewhat oily. The aftertaste is sweet and even holds some fruity notes.

D: I'm having problems with this one. I like whisky and i love beer, but mixed togheter like this - it's an opposite to synergism. Beer and whisky togheter should be the greatest thing ever, but I just can't rate the drinkability higher...

08-29-2009 19:50:39 | More by Evil_Pidde
RyanBelle

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

The magic in this beer is the appearance and TASTE...

This beer is the best beer I have tried so far, and I've tried about 50 kinds. The cashier at the liqour store told me about this kind of beer and that it truly is a cut above most beers - but not because it simply tastes better. It is because it is a completely different class of beer. The whiskey's natural oils present in those oak casks definitely add flavor dimensions that have made me even reconsider the way I do beer tasting from now on. It has simply set the highest standards possible and although a very expensive beer, it is a fantastic example of a truly "great" one. The nose is strong and promises what it preaches: vanilla, caramel, whisky-tinged oak cask taste, with a hint of citrus in the undertones of the beer. Taste up-front is harsh and the drinkability is not the best ever, however it gets much more impressive the more you drink it (literally with each sip) and you become more accustomed to the wide palatte of flavors before you. This beer IS finally, truly one to write home about.

08-26-2009 02:14:51 | More by RyanBelle
atis

Finland

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours clear pale amber with off-white head that fades to thin layer and leaves slight patchy lacing. Aroma is strong and sweet malt, vanilla and oak.

Taste is slight less enjoyable than smell, it is bittery smoked whisky-like wood, sweet vanilla with dry finish and mild alcohol citrus aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin with moderate carbonation.

Overall, not bad, it is slightly different from other beers and I always enjoy it.

08-25-2009 08:23:12 | More by atis
crowncapcollect

United Kingdom (England)

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

330ml bottle into a straight glass. I've had this before, and I still find the toffee sweetness and vanilla whisky overdone. It looks lovely, smells quite nice, but a bit sickly. It has a pleasant mouthfeel and aftertaste. I guess the Scots (and I'm 3/8 jock myself) like their beer sweet, as they are well known for their sweet tooth. I love sweets and cakes, but I'm not a fan of sweet beer.

08-22-2009 22:53:52 | More by crowncapcollect
DerBayer

Germany

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

The colour is a beautiful chestnunt with creamy thick white head

Smell is of sweet malts, whiskey, faint grassy hops

The taste is much the same but more intense sweet at first then the whiskey kicks in and last some refreshing bitterness

Mouthfeel is superb smooth but carbonated

A very refreshing beer with great tatste and therefore drinkable

08-19-2009 19:04:01 | More by DerBayer
DoctorStrangiato

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Drinking a 330-ml bottle directly from the bottle.

Appearance - beautiful honey gold colour with light, sudsy head. Subtle carbonation.

Smell - heavy oak and malt aromas with some detectable hop smells as well. Very nice indeed.

Taste - I've got quite a love of this beer based on many prior tastings. Crisp and defined, a sweet-bitter taste up front followed by distinct woodiness. Finish is pretty wet and refreshing.

Mouthfeel - pretty even flavours throughout although I would not call the beer smooth. Coats the mouth and lingers memorably.

Drinkability - I really like this right from the bottle, which is very rare for me. This is pretty potent at 6.6% and it goes down easy. I keep the limit to 2 of these.

07-29-2009 01:53:58 | More by DoctorStrangiato
EsoxLucius

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

I'd actually tried this long before trying their Rum Cask Edition beer, which i found very interesting.

A: A nice golden yellow with a minimal head, but it does stick around through the entire drink.

S: Malty with a sweet bit of hops, a friend had called it skunky, but i found it to be pleasent.

T: nice and sweet with a little bit of bitterness. can definately detect the vanilla and toffee, i can taste the oak at the end, but initially its the sweet vanilla taste and creamy taste.

M: thin, yet not bad, but not good either. i'm a Stout drinker by nature and this was a little light in the mouth, however, it gets better as it goes down, so it's above average for me.

D: i bought two and am on the second one looking at it whilst writing this, it's drinkable for a change of pace, much like the Rum Cask Edition from this company, it's definately not for serving the masses but rather something to enjoy from time to time.

I would recommend trying it.

07-11-2009 06:06:50 | More by EsoxLucius
biboergosum

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

330ml clear as the window beside me bottle at the Keg - a decent celebratory choice for my girl's having finished yoga teachers' school classes.

This beer pours a medium crystal clear golden amber colour, with one finger of weakly puffy, wanly foamy, and mostly soapy dirty white head, which leaves a small bit of coral reef lace on the glass as it hastily recedes.

It smells of natural vanilla, boozy wood fiber, caramelized malt, a hint of watery toffee, and very tame earthy, weedy hops. The taste is more big caramel malt, vanilla cookies, equally strong oak barrel woodiness, and weirdly sexy (or just plain welcome) earthy hops.

The carbonation is really quite varied, from fizzy to outright flat-seeming, the body rather nice and round and weighty, with an attendant sugary smoothness. It finishes with a pretty sweet lingering, softly boozy whisky flourish.

A few years ago, I presented this to my dad, a UK whisk(e)y fan who doesn't really do much in the way of beer anymore, and he was impressed with the flavour intensity, but didn't think it would be good for more than a small serving. I still agree with that, as this is a tasty enough, original (at one time) brewing concept, but the flavours from the wood would indeed become cloying after a short exposure. And I suppose it helps if you're an ardent fan of oak-aged spirits in the first place.

06-08-2009 21:34:45 | More by biboergosum
drcarver

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Nice amber color with a nice white head that faded quickly

S - Heavy smells of oak, whiskey (scotch, bourbon, whatever) and vanilla

T - The flavor of whiskey (scotch, bourbon, whatever) is very pronounced. It was away quickly however. There are hints of vanilla in the background with bits of oak.

D - Don't go fast.

05-26-2009 19:33:35 | More by drcarver
fivarsen

Norway

2.17/5  rDev -42.4%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Nice golden color with a thin head. Smells of oak, sweet vanilla, hint of coffee and alcohol.

The taste didn't appeal to me as the alcohol was to dominant and the malt taste is strong here as well. I was not impressed by the mouthfeel either, it feels metallic and it stays that way a while.

Only reason to try it again is to see if my opinion or the beer as changed.

BTW The bottle says it should be served well chilled, not how I usually drink my ales and I neither did this time.

04-17-2009 21:40:22 | More by fivarsen
atsprings

3.43/5  rDev -9%

11.2oz bottle into a Boston Lager glass pours a crisp bubbly pale orange with a thin off-white head that diminishes to a thin layer and leaves slight lacing. Aroma is an intriguing blend of Earthy hops, sweet malts and oak. The taste is a more muted blend, enjoyable, but not what the aroma promised. The beer is fairly light for 6.6% with decent carbonation. This one is certainly worth trying, but I don't think I'll bother with again.

04-14-2009 02:47:57 | More by atsprings