Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged BeerInnis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003)
2.35/5  rDev -37.5%

Thanks to Big Z for this one. Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint. Attractive packaging.

A: Standard pour yields a 1 finger coarse white head that dissipates quickly. Beer is a clear light copper. Lacing is stringy with minimal legs and moderate stick.

S: Nose is adequately described as skunk covered by copious amounts of vanilla. This honestly smells like someone poured a bottle of vanilla extract into a glass of Corona. There's the slightest bit of oakiness to cut the sweet scent.

T: Opens skunky. Rusty pipe water with a slight hop bitterness mixed in. Then the vanilla and cane sugar sweetness hits and covers the metallic taste that still manages to linger in the background. Sweetness fades out in the end and I'm left with rust and iron at the finish. Metallic aftertaste.

M: Light to medium bodied with ample carbonation. Bubbly in the mouth and lively and abrasive going down. Finish is watery with a slightly lingering aftertaste.

D: Its not that this beer is undrinkable... rather... its really hard for me to get past the fact that I feel like the brewer is trying to cover up a bad tasting beer with some barrel-aging. Vanilla and woody notes are nice but the metallic and skunky taste in the background is unmistakable and really ruin it for me. I'll pass next time.

2.38/5  rDev -36.7%

A: Fairly clear copper color. A finger of white head with good head retention. Nice looking for an English pale. There was quite a bit of sediment in the bottle so be careful.

S: Lots of diacetyl. Buttered popcorn. I really cannot get past it. Little bit of sweetness as well.

T: Diacetyl. There is a touch of oak but the overwhelming butteryness cannot be overlooked.

M: Prickly carbonation. Medium body.

D: This one is a one and done for me. Drainpour. The price of importing beer.

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a honey color, with a thin white head that leaves dribbles I suppose of lace.
S- Smell is caramel, vanilla, toffee, and a faint wood aroma.
T- I don't pick up so much of an oak taste, per se, but the vanilla aspect really manifests itself. Vanilla throughout with some toffee. Light hops balance it out.
M- A bit slick in the finish but amply weighted and otherwise perfectly carbed.
D- A very good beer, though the power of the vanilla flavor might limit how many of these I could have in a night.

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Pours a very deep golden colour. Small head that disappears rather quickly. Leaves some nice lacing.

S: Initially I get a whiskey aroma but then blends together with a vanilla aroma.

T: Similar to the nose I get a whiskey taste but then I get hints of oak before it's all overtaken by vanilla.

M: It has a nice medium body with medium carbonation.

D: This is the first of 4 that I'll be tasting from Innis & Gunn. This one was dominated by whiskey and vanilla. Not exactly my favorite beer but if you love whiskey or vanilla you'll for sure enjoy this beer.

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

Aroma - Some buttery tones along with malt, maybe a slight vanilla as they advertise

M - Some creamy feel, a bit more body than it appears to have from its pour. Bit of a bite in the back of the mouth from the alcohol content

Appearance - Almond, light brown color and is really crystal clear otherwise with no haze. Poured from 11.2 oz bottle to no head.

A - Getting hints of vanilla and toffee with the flavor, and an alcohol taste in the back of the mouth which isn't covered up by the malt or other overtones.

D - Pretty drinkable, alcohol's medium for a higher alc beer at around 6.6 pct or so. I believe that alcohol taste and vanilla would begin to bother me after a couple.

O - I like this beer okay and the taste is unique but don't know that I'm blown away with it. The alcohol hint to finish is annoying to me. There's better that costs less.

2.63/5  rDev -30.1%

When am I going to start listening to my better judgment and leave these damn clear bottles alone? I knew when I picked this up that I'd regret it but I did it anyway...

Pours a quite nice deep brown... Quite clear.. Smallish head.. Pretty nice actually...

Skunked... Only way to say it... Pungent deep funky skunk aromas dominate and do away with anything else.. Maybe a touch of vanilla or something but that's about it..

Sweet and a bit oaky with some vanilla highlights but basically skunked in the taste dept as well... When will these brewers learn? Sigh.... Brown bottles, cans, anything but clear or green...

Had potential but the skunk got in the way. Would like to try this on tap...

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

Purchased as part of a 3 bottle gift pack with a branded glass. I prefer to buy this beer in the pack because the glass is nice and the cardboard prevents the skunking.

Pours a copper-orange colour with thin white head. Head dissipates quick enough with a faint hint of some lacing. Smells of sweet oaky vanilla with butterscotch. No hops or bitterness present in flavour or nose. Very sweet flavour, lots of vanilla. I think this beer is too light to hold up to the oak flavour, but it isn't bad. Ok carbonation.

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%

I can't believe after reading other reviews that no one else got skunk in this. Perhaps I should give it a second go, but I kinda think coming in a clear bottle it is likely many of these get skunk.

A- Very nice. Caramel color, slighly transparant with a creamy head that disdepates quickly. Spiderweb lacing.

S- Skunk right up front followed by a very pleasant strong vanilla with hints of oak and toffee.

T- Woody and sweet. Skunk up front. Sweet malt after taste. Strong vanilla, oak and toffee. Hints of honey.

M- Thin but creamy. Light/Medium bodied with nice carbonation. Goes down easy.

D- Such a beautifully balanced beer that gets trashed with skunk. Such complex flavor profiles and subtle notes. I love vanilla so I am very forgiving on this beer, but the skunk it gets from being in a clear bottle just slaps the delicious in the face. Let this one breath for a while as it gets better as it warms. Maybe I'll find one of these that hasn't had so much light exposure, or maybe I'll just try to clone it and put it in a brown bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a clear bottle into my room temperature glass, resulting in a one finger head of foam bubbles. Nice clinging lace once the head calmed down. Color is a 9 on the SRM chart. Aromas of caramel, toffee, pear, apple, and some butterscotch. Tastes of toffee, vanilla, pear, apples, and cinnamon. Good body in my mouth, lots of zip. I like the flavor a lot, although a little pricey, I would buy a few for my own enjoyment and maybe some for my closest friends who like beer.

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

This is one of my favourite beers! I find it is more of a dessert type of beer, best enjoyed in a relaxing evening.

A = a clear amber colour poured from a bottle into a pint glass with very little head that dissipated quickly with a little lacing.
S = nice and pleasant smell - definitely a blend in there with the result of a bit of a sweet smelling aroma
T = to me this is a sweet tasting beer. I detect a peach or some other type of fruit - but not a strong citrus taste. It also reminded me of a toffee taste. Very nice!
M = this can feel a bit heavy in the mouth with a buttery feel to it, despite the easy watery feel with an ever-so-slight carbonation, just enough to give it a kick. It goes down very smoothly!
D = Fantastic! :-)

I have liked this beer since the first time I tried it. I find it quite different from other ales and try to enjoy it on special occasions!

4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

This beer is delicious. I would not be able to finish a 40 on my own as it was quite heavy on the stomach. But, this, to me is a dessert beer, something you would have after a good meal, if you have room left. Afterwards, i wanted coffee. This beer isn't going to be for everyone, but it was absolutely worth trying.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

I was always afraid of this beer, thinking it was a cheap knock off beer, as it comes in a clear bottle, with a 40ozer cheap bottle like label. However, I tried it at a tasting today and it was interesting. SO here comes a review.

A fluffy fizzy very bubbly head hits about 1 finger and fades somewhat quickly. The beer is a crystal clear toasty orange tan colored.

The nose brings some malty aromas, a light pilsner malt, but a nice malty aroma over all. A slight syrupy almost malt extract like aroma too. Under that is hints of mild hoppy aromas, with a little fruity and grassy hops. Some golden malt aromas too. A slight oaky aroma.

The taste is just as expected, starting with a nice creamy malty aroma. Some golden malts, plenty of malts overall and I'm surprised it's only 6.6% as it's pretty malty. Then some light pale bitter hops, a little grassy and slight herbal, with hints of fruity hops. Then comes more oak flavors, not super oaky, and not woody esthers, but the oak rounds off the pale ale like flavors well. It begins with a light sweet flavor, but not very sweet, and dries well as well. It also finishes with a lingering slight citrus and fruity hop flavor, as well as some malty sweet like flavors, but still dry. Some oak also lingerers with almost a hint of bourbon-like flavor but no bourbon. I think it's the oak that gives it that flavor.

The mouth is medium bodied with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good. The oak really rounds off the pale ale, and it doesn't get too hoppy, bitter, or heavy in general. Maltiness balances all this well, with a slight sweetness, dry finish, no real sticky feel, and good drinkable abv.

I have to say I'm impressed with this. With how cheesy the bottle looks, and even being called something like "Innis and Gunn", which sounds like a cheap 40ozer but I found out today is just the middle names of the two brothers that put the beer into the barrels and sell it. On top of that, this may be the cheapest (lowest cost) beer from Scotland, and eventually the barrels feed a single malt scotch so I have to say "Cheers to that!"

2.33/5  rDev -38%

a- clear bottle poured into a snifter, two and a half fingers worth of head with nice retention, honey amber coloring, dense head.

s- nice, toffee, vanilla, some light oak/woody notes, smooth malts, some alcohol.

t- interesting, oaky, some light smoke, toffee, vanilla, a bit boozy, a bit liquor-y. i'm not really loving this.

m- medium body.

d- not great, i wasn't a fan, it was a bit too oaky and sweet for me. i wouldn't grab this one again.

1.63/5  rDev -56.6%

Got this at Nicko's wine and beer store. Nicko thought I would enjoy it. Said he has many customers who love it. He should have mentioned that the ones who love it don't care for beer.

Are you kidding me!! This many, self proclaimed BEER CONOISEURS like this??? This is suppossed to be a beer site and this was suppossed to beer.
This looked, smelled and tasted like lousy,cheap sweet whiskey.

Beer, should NOT TASTE LIKE THIS, at least imho.

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

I poured this from a 330ml clear bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A= This ale poured a bright orange/gold color with a 1/2" white head. The head dropped fast and did not leave much in the way of lace.

S= This is a very aromatic ale. I noted malty caramel, toffee, oak, and vanilla as the predominant aromas.

T= Based on the smell this beer should be sweet and cloying but it was not. Started off malty sweet but that was tempered by the oaky notes and the hints of bittereness that licked the edges to keep the sweetness in check. Much like the smell I found flavors of toffee, vanilla, and oak to be way upfront. Finish was still on the sweet side and quite delicious.

MF= Heavy side of medium bodied with a moderate carbonation level.

D= Sort of a strong-ish Scottish ale that gains a lot of flavor and complexity from the oak barrel. I'll admit that when my wife handed this to me in the LCBO I didn;t want to buy it because of the clear bottle. Now that I have had it I am kicking myself for not buying more! Very complex and very well made.

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into an Irish pub style (real) pint glass in low altitude Galway, Ireland, on September 24th, 2010. Pours a clear amber-gould with a four finger head that retains well. The head's got some cream to it, but for a scottish ale its actually kind of thin. Appears moderately inviting.

Smell: Oh my! Many many notes: toffee, vanilla, oak, maybe even mint? Not too strong, either. I don't know what awaits, but the smell is quite good.

Taste: Very well built, an ambitious beer. Notes of what was hinted at in its smell, but also a creamy finish that wasn't expected. Luckily, they didn't overdo the oak flavour as so many breweries do these days (even Goose County stout is a little overdone on the barrel flavour). This beer's highlight is its subtlety: it gets better as you notice more flavours. A random bitter note towards the finish is its only drawback.

Mouthfeel: Coarse but wet. Maybe a little too wet. Doesn't leave me wanting another sip right away. Maybe if they made the finish a bit dryer they could erase that misplaced bitterness.

Drinkability: This will satisfy fans of Scottish ale, and is fairly reasonably priced. I'd certainly buy it again (in fact I intend to). That said, it does lack the creamy head of a beer like Belhaven Scottish Ale (who I believe brew this under contract).

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a deep marigold yellow color with light yellow highlights. Has a thick golden head that dissipates quite quickly, leaving a nice ring that lasts throughout.

Sweet and malty aroma, with strong notes of oak and toffee. There are also some faint hints of vanilla and bread.

Sweet, earthy taste, with strong flavors of oak and malt. There are some slight notes of caramel and vanilla, as well as a surprising alcohol bite. There is also a slight bitterness to the finish that lingers on the pallet.

Great carbonation level and real smooth feel, but leaves the mouth feeling a bit dry.

Pretty good taste and a nice feel, but a little too sweet to drink more than one or two.

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

A: An intense dark yellow color with a small head that leaves little traces behind, the color is very bright medium carbonation.

S: Intense malty aroma with a very faint touch of oak.

T: Not too bitter but with a different whiskey flavor this is an spicy beer full of malty flavor but not a traditional one.

M: A rare sensation with a good ending but too bitter in the middle not an easy to drink beer but with a complex structure.

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Clear copper, fair carbonation, and thin head.

S- Sweet malts, a bit bready, with notes of toffee and oak.

T- More of a candy taste on the mouth. Reminds me of syrup a bit. Toffee is tasted as well as vanilla. Tastes like maple candy a bit. Quite sweet.

M- Full, fairly smooth, and a little sticky.

D- Easy to down, well hidden 6.6% ABV. Definitely for somebody with a sweet tooth. I feel like if I drank this as a regular drink, I'd need dental insurance for the cavaties.

4.88/5  rDev +29.8%

It was a miraculous thing for me in 2004, the first time I ever tried an Innis & Gunn; I was enjoying a beer and a meal at my favorite restaurant and beer bar in Toronto, the Beer Bistro. At the time I was just getting into real beer, and the Beer Bistro was the catalyst for that new found passion (obsession). Around then I was just beginning to learn the differences between mass produced commercial beer and craft made beer; there was really no better place for me to do that either. Then one night not unlike any other a beer caught my eye on the expansive beer menu called Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer, which explained that it had been aged in previously used oak whisky barrels. Now, while this may sound very commonplace these days to the avid beer connoisseur, in 2004 oak ageing was still very fresh, and to me it was exceptionally exciting. There wasn't really a question in my mind; I really loved whisky, so I had to try this beer.

If the Beer Bistro was the catalyst for my ascent to beer appreciation, then the Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer without a question was my guide. The first time I enjoyed this beer (and still every time) it absolutely floored me! I was then beginning to learn about and appreciate all the flavors that beer could posses, and the Innis & Gunn came along and just swept me off my feet! I was speechless, even still I am in awe of how delicious and fantastic this beer is. In fact, I have spent the last 6 years introducing my friends to Innis & Gunn and explaining to them why it is so exceptional - yet somehow, right now I am completely dumbfounded trying to explain why I love it so much! I think I know how to fix this predicament though; this calls for a fresh cool Original Innis & Gunn!

The Innis & Gunn is served in a beautiful clean custom bottle designed specifically for the brewery. It's a standard 341ml bottle with a wide stance and engravings which surround the now red and silver label. It is also available in 750ml bottles as show here. The clear bottle allows your most immediate senses to see just how stunning the beer is; it's a very rich red oak with a glimmer of gold and yellow to mahogany finish. It pours just as smooth and beautifully lifting a small half inch head which slowly will fade to almost nothing.

I do love pretty much everything about this beer, and the sight of it draws me in close. The nose is fantastic. Right away it's filled with sweet caramel, butterscotch candy, and warm oak; then lingers with fresh bread, light malt, and a light and sweet whisky finish. It's so tantalizing and fresh, there's very little hop if any on the nose, and it just smells like it's going to be so delicious!

As you bring the beer close to enjoy it, the nose gets richer and richer and begins to tease your palate. The Innis & Gunn flows gently on your palate and lifts your tongue into a wave of vanilla, toffee, butterscotch, warm oak, light spice, whisky malt, juicy apple and pear, with a light and crisp citrus hop finish. It's not overpowering or aggressive, it is 6.6% alcohol, and it carries it perfectly lending some strength to the whisky-like malt sweetness which makes this beer so unique. The candy sweet butterscotch, biscuit and warm oak is so delicious across the palate and also perfectly balanced that even still the beer makes my mouth water. It's not just all the flavor that I love its how incredibly distinct it is.

The finish is also sweet and filled with vanilla, but a touch of citrusy fresh hops creates a truly quenching and refreshing beer which I have enjoyed fully in the summer and also in the winter. I have also found some exceptional food pairings for the Innis & Gunn; almost all cheeses, deserts, hamburgers, roast chicken, BBQ, and more all work so well with this beautiful beer. I've made BBQ sauce out of it, marinated beef in it, turned it into a salad dressing, and made a caramel glaze with it. The Innis & Gunn is truly remarkable on many levels.

For these reasons and more, I always try to introduce people to this magical beer if they have not yet had the pleasure. People constantly tell me that they don't like beer, or that they haven't found one that they can really enjoy all the time. Well, I have the antithesis for those people, and it's aged in oak barrels!

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: Clear, "not quite" amber, average head.
smell: Hmmm....this is good. Website reads,"Think vanilla, toffee and orange aromas". Not sure I catch the orange, but strong vanilla and toffee. Hope the taste lives up to this.
taste: Well, yes. I teetered between a good vs great. As it warmed it kept getting better. Very good brew.
mouthfeel: full and creamy.
drinkability: Yes, yes. Actually I'd love to try and amped up version of this.

3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

A friend brought this over to my house yesterday to drink. We split it into two pint glasses. The body was brown but very translucent. There was a nice and creamy head that formed on top. Not a bad looking beer. Smell had prominent notes of oak and vanilla. The taste was probably one of the biggest mysteries I have had in a while. I don't know if I liked it or not. There were huge flavor of oak and toffee candy. So that aspect I liked. But, it almost tasted artificial to me; like an additive. And, it was borderline too pronounced. That was the aspect that I did not like. Mouthfeel was also on the thin side. Would not have guessed 6.6%. Drinkability was on one hand smooth but otherwise this beer was a bit too caramel-like, and it stuck on my palate. An interesting beer to try for a decent price. I can see how this beer is hit-or-miss with other reviewers.

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

11.2 oz. for $4.49. Poured into Arrogant Bastard pint. This pours a clear bronze with a miniscule fizzy head (I'm not impressed). The aroma is of chardonnay, vanilla, oak, and prunes. The taste is chardonnay with honey and vanilla, ending with a slight bitterness. The mouthfeel is rather light. It's a huge disappointment.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Brought this back from my trip to Scotland back in October of 2008. Cellared this beer in a dark corner due to the clear bottle and not wanting it to get light struck.

Poured into a New Holand curved pint glass. Color is a golden amber with a brief head that fully dissipates fairly rapidly. Aroma is of wood and vanilla are the two apparent flavors. Mouthfeel is creamy and slightly crisp, but there is a dryness left on the center of my tongue. The hops have mellowed almost completely out of this beer, but the residual oak and malt flavors are very tasty. If I could get this locally it would be my new session beer.

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Nice light copper color, fully translucent, with great off white head which is very creamy. Good retention and good lacing.

S: Some strong oaky and peppery smell is in there. Some nice vanilla in there as well as some good level of caramel and toffee. Some nice nut like smell. Some grass like hoppy smell.

T: Much less sweet than expected. Very much woody and nutty tasting (almonds mostly). Some little caramel and toffee, but the vanilla kept its strength. The grass at the end cuts it dry. Quite light tasting.

M: Light body with medium to high carbonation. For the taste, this works OK.

D: Very high, very balanced, very sessionable.

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn