Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003

4.02/5  rDev +6.9%

A-Medium bodied dark tan. Excellent head.

S-Fruity, rich, and complex. Can diffidently detect some of the oak aged characteristics.

T-Slightly sweet, floral hops, and a touch of bite at the end (I suspect from the Rum barrels).

M-Nothing special but neutral and pleasant. The flavors do linger well after swallowing.

D-Has an enduring warmth and character. One bottle may not be enough.

4.21/5  rDev +12%

Innis & Gunn Oak Aged. 12 oz. Matured for 77 days.

freshest by: Nov. 20, 2010

Appearance:
It has a light honey/brandy color with a 0.5" head that quickly dissipates. There's a thin white film of lacing.

Aroma:
The nose is vanilla, caramel, toffee, and very strong malts. Oak pervades and surrounds all other smells. It's quite inviting actually.

Taste:
The flavor is unique from my experience of English pale ales. Honey is the main player, aided by a strong vanilla background. Slight hop bitterness and some toffee are also present. A bit oaky on the finish. It ends on a rather sticky note, and sort of just hangs to the roof of the mouth like a thin film of honey. Not bad!

Mouthfeel & Drinkability:
It's light bodied, and quite carbonated, which seems appropriate to the style. The fact that it's sweet but balanced, keeps drinkability high, although the sweetness becomes a little too pronounced towards the end of the first bottle.

Notes:
From the back of the bottle: "To make Innis & Gunn we hand-select barrels which are packed with the most delicious oak flavours. Over many weeks, our unique maturation slowly unlocks these flavours from deep inside the oak grain, the beer growing in character with every hour that passes. Only when it is matured to perfection do we bottle and release it. The result is a refreshing, honey-hued beer with aromas of vanilla and toffee, and a malty, lightly oaked finish."

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

The only thing off-putting about this beer was the slightly hazy appearance. It is understandable thought for a barrel aged beer to like brilliance. The nose was a wonderful medley of vanilla, caramel, coco nut, and malt. I could leave my nose in the snifter all night.

The flavor was a little less impressive than the nose. It consisted mostly of typical light ale character as well a an abundance of coco nut with hints of vanilla, citrus, and a dry oak finish. Most barrel aged beers I've sampled have a bit more vanilla/caramel and a little less coco nut in the flavor.

That being said it tasted good, had a great medium-light body, plenty of carbonation, and a dry finish that made it easy to drink the whole thing in a timely manner.

At only about four dollars for a big bottle, I'm sure it will become one of my regular "at home" beers.

4.74/5  rDev +26.1%

Appearance- dark orange to amber in color with a few small light bubbles streaming, small thin white head quickly fades, slight sediment could be seen,

Smell- strong malty smell, to me dominated by almost a light sweet espresso smell, vanilla, toffee and cream

Taste- very unique flavor actually for what you would ever expect from any circumstance in an english pale ale, a beautiful balance in both sweetness and a very slight hop bitterness that keeps that sugar in chech, definite vanilla and toffee flavors with also a slight noticeable wood from the oak, its overall a very sweet beer but really in a good way,this is a very complex and unique flavored beer to me but overall more then anything just very tasty,

Mouthfeel- very smooth and light to little carbonation, almost creamy smooth ness

Drinkability- I actually only wish this beer was a bit cheaper cuz I find this to be an amazing session beer though touch strong, its just so smooth and balanced, I really really enjoy the balance in this beer, the oak imparts a very nice smoothness and complexity, a beer I really do enjoy and would recommend as something worth trying for beer fans just out the unique flavor profile alone,

2.8/5  rDev -25.5%

The appearance you can see in the bottle, because its clear. When I poured it, there was a small off white head which quickly disappeared. It smelled mostly of fruity esters maybe even slightly sour.

Additionally, the beer tasted different than expected. Upfront there is a very cidery taste with a little bit of mead-like honey taste. At the back you get a solid taste of the oak and the slightest sense of the bitterness. The flavors don't really come together to complete the beer. It tastes like a moving target shifting between an oak aged pale lager and a more cider/mead beer.

Maybe I got a weird bottle, so I'd try this again to see if it came together a bit better. On the other hand, If I tasted the intended flavor of the beer, I don't think I'll pick it up again.

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

Ok, I finally got around to tasting this beer. I don't know if it was the clear bottle, or if this just isn't a very good beer, but I swear, it tasted just like malt liquor. I've had some pretty skunked bottles of Newcastle that had a similar flavor. So I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say that I probably got a bad bottle--but, I can say for sure I won't ever buy it again, because if they don't respect their beer enough to put it in a brown bottle, I sure as hell ain't gonna pay $5 for another bottle of potential skunk-juice.

4.59/5  rDev +22.1%

The beer pours a dark golden/amber color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is perfect. It has a kick ass oak character along with some pale and light crystal malts. It's creamy and buttery. I don't think I've ever experienced an aroma like this before; AWESOME! The taste is much the same. It's incredibly smooth with a basic pale and crystal malt base. The yeast creates a bit of fruity esters and the oak dominates and creates a wonderfully buttery mouthfeel. It's a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a terrific beer. I've gotta get a case of this stuff soon.

3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured with an average-sized, white head that diminished fairly quickly to a thin film. Body is a copper color and completely clear.

S: Interesting aroma; could take some getting used to. All of the factors they mention on the label are there: toffee, vanilla, and especially, the oak. Strong, strong oak.

T: The oak is definitely the dominant taste, as well. The sweetness of the toffee adds an interesting contrast. The more I sip on this beer, the more it grows on me.

M: Body is kind of light, with an almost-oily texture... average carbonation.

D: I couldn't see me drinking more than one of these in one sitting, but I think I'd get it again, as, like I said, it was growing on me.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 12oz clear bottle into a pint glass at Smokin' With Chris in Southington, CT.

Appearance: Pours a dark gold in color, nice size head here with excellent lacing. Retention is decent. This really is a beautiful beer in the glass.

Smell: Up front I get a ton of vanilla, some oak and a huge aroma of sweet malt. Some honey and booze come into play as well here, making for an interesting amount of aromas going on. That classic English malt pops through here as well, it's sweet yet has a nice oaky expression to it.

Taste: This beer taste alot stronger then the 6.6% ABV insists, again from the smell I get alot of vanilla, oak and some honey here, sweetness from the malt really rolls around the tongue. I am also sensing a touch of mint? Almost like a menthol infused flavor. Some lighter fruit pairs together with a good dose English malt sweetness to finish this off.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, very round and sits on the tongue nicely. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: I see alot of people complaining about skunked beer and the clear bottles, obviously a clear bottle is the worst choice for this beer but the one I had from Smokin' With Chris had no signs at all of skunkiness or being dated. Overall a very interesting beer to say the least, the barrel aging really shows in the aromas and the taste. The kick of honey and light fruit really offset this beer from other EPA's. A great offering!

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Pours a fairly clear slightly red amber, with a bubbly off white head. A layer of head retains, leaving decent lacing.

S: Sweet, slightly bready, slightly bitter. Definitely some skunkiness, so if you can get this fresh adjust the scores upward I'm sure.

T: A full bodied almost syrupy sweetness, finishing with a hoppy dryness.

M: Medium body, medium to light smooth carbonation, some chewyness.

D: Drinks quite easily.

Not a bad beer, though also not fantastic. I wouldn't be opposed to picking up another bottle in the future.

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Glass- INAO

A- Bright, dark amber/copper. Some lacing.

S- Sweet vanillin barrel oak, toasted barrel char, bourbon notes, buttered caramel popcorn, honeyed biscuit.

T- Sweet caramel maltiness, restrained and well integrated hops. When one gets a good bottle, this is a delicious beer.

M,D- Lovely balance and flavors compel one to enjoy this with ease.

Comments: PLEASE, Innis & Gunn, we know you are justifiably proud of the jewel-like color of this beer and want to show it off, but the clear bottle is capable of allowing the destruction of your product. The customer deserves a brown bottle and more assurance that they will not end up with a ruined beer from photodegradation. No one wants to gamble unnecessarily with a pricey product and find it skunked. The majority of the Oak Aged I&G I have purchased were in very good condition due to my selection of a supplier who has rapid turnover, but many have not been so lucky. A buyer at a very large local shop doesn't even want to carry the beer for this reason.

But I still love this beer, and recommend it to those who like the marriage of the malt and the oak.

2.12/5  rDev -43.6%

This beer was a gift from my parents on Christmas. I don't know if it was supposed to be this way, but it had a large amount of light sediment suspended in the bottle. My guess was that it was not supposed to be this way.

It poured nicely into a pint glass. Small- to regular-sized head.

The smell was revoltingly strong. I could smell the skunkiness 10 inches from my face. I hardly wanted to taste it.

The taste was hard to analyze over the putrid smell, but from what I could taste, there were hints of vanilla and possibly caramel.

I hope something was wrong with this particular bottle. I can't imagine a beer like this being intended to be this unpleasant to the senses.

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

I picked this up at the LCBO on a whim. It pours a clear gold with a thin head. Thanks to the clear bottle, sulfur dominates the aroma. Some sweet malt and oak come through behind the skunkiness. Sweet malt hits the flavor upfront, with tangy, smooth oak flavor. There is a mild bitterness, but the sweet caramel malt is balanced mostly by the oak tannin. The finish is astringent with some nice woody, bourbon flavor that really lingers. The aftertaste is a little rough, and it doesn't lead me to grab another sip, making the beer hard to drink.

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%

This beer amazed me, looking at it at my store very seldom did I see it sell, but only to the beer geeks and advocates. This encouraged me to give it a go, so I took home two bottles of it. Expecting nothing great, I poured it into a large English Pint, and immediately you see some carbonation, but very little. A nice head arises, with fantastic lacing, that stays even after the beverage is gone. The taste is of wood, obviously from the oak barrels, vanilla, and a nice malty backbone. Sweet, however not a sugar bomb, delicious, and overwhelming. A great beer.

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of my father for Christmas - poured in to a brandy snifter, also given to me my brother for Christmas, engraved as follows:

"Christopher Dumler"
"Attorney"
"Beer Critic"
"Brother"

Pretty darn awesome. Many thanks to everyone! On to the review.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy brown amber, and doesn't look terribly thick - plenty of average sized but quick carbonation races to the top of this one, adding to a thin and persistent collar of creamy foam.

Aroma: Light barrel notes, wooden and green, lending hints of sweet wooden sugars and vanilla to a nondescript hop presence and a very English malt base.

Taste: A very dry, biscuity malt backbone - very traditionally British/Scottish - but, somehow, also, strangely, plenty of sweeter, higher residual sugars, likely courtesy of the barrel aging. Truly, the bottle says it all - "toffee, vanilla, and oak," and this one showcases all of them. The toffee blends reasonably well with the dry cracker-like notes, and provides a nice foundation for a ton of high, decidedly-British "estery" notes, probably part yeast strain and part green barrel, fruity, slightly appley. There's also a decent amount of hop bitterness and some spicy hop notes.

Mouthfeel: A fairly rough and uneven brew, largely a result of the ample carbonation copuled with a moderately thick body. There's also a slightly off afterfeel as well, sort of powdery and chalky.

Drinkability: This sort of thing is - on some level - what I remember beer tasting like. Not, like, a few years ago, but like, when my dad gave it to me as a child. Maybe that's why my dad bought it for me for Christmas? Either way, I wasn't too much a fan of it, though I appreciate it for what it is.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

A - poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass. It pours clear amber with a substantial head that left islands of lace.

S - wood, whiskey, vanilla, light creek smell (skunky), some citrus and fruit

T - vanilla malt, very light citrus/hop flavor hits with carbonation dissipation, finish is a very smooth transition into a mellow wood/nut flavor. The is a hint of lemon peel in the finish as well.

M - medium carbonation, medium body and a neutral finish that warms slightly

D - this is a nice mellow beer with a very neutral finish. It would make a good light desert beer (as opposed to porter/stout).

3.82/5  rDev +1.6%

I took this beer with me after an advice of Andy of the Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam. He told me as a real scottsman this would be a nice one to try. And it was!

It is a surprising beer with a very nice taste. I drank this one in a dutch beerglass. The beer looks like someone had done a pee in the bottle. It's a bit (much) yellowcouloured and the head is broken white.

The only thins i tasted really good was the honey inside the beer. A very surprising combination.

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

Bit of a head spin this one. Looks great, amber/copper with a neat head. The oak is evident on the nose but for some reason I'm getting definte aniseed. Like new oak? There are strong hints of whiskey as well, particularly in the finish. Honestly, there isn't a lot else happening and the oak is kinda distracting rather than enhancing. Still, it's a tidy little beer and well made for sure. A once a year kind of beer for me.

3.41/5  rDev -9.3%

A- This pours a clear pale copper with 1 finger of white head, no retention and no lace.

S- Toffee, vanilla, and oak. There's a hint of alcohol in here as well, but it blends nicely with everything else.

T- Exactly like the nose, but it's a little bit weaker. There's a bitterness in the finish from the hops as well.

M- Thin body, moderate carbonation.

D- This was the beer that opened my eyes to craft beer. It's not as good as I thought it was back in the day. Amazing how ones palate changes with the more beers and styles you try.

3.56/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance: Pours a translucent dirty orange with slightly yellow folds....reminiscent of cognac to me. The crown is white and about 1 finger high. It shows some retention and lace.

Smell: english toffee malt and hops, a tin like macro quality, a touch buttery.

Taste: Same as smell.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a decent amount of carbonation. A bit more crisp than creamy, but not by much.

Drinkability: Easy drinker although I don't dig the taste very much.

3.19/5  rDev -15.2%

33cl bottled poured into imperial pint glass

A- Toffee brown body with 3 finger tan head with very good retention and lacing considering the abv

S- Whisky notes, butteriness, sweet caramel malts. However, there is this awful underlying limey off flavour that mars the smell.

T- Buttery, toffee, fudgy malts. A very sweet creamy finish, no hops to note of. This limey note is coming through again in the finish. Starting to wonder if there is something up with this bottle.

M- Light and creamy

D- A nice malty ale, which would pair well with a strong cheese for me.

3.19/5  rDev -15.2%

Bought this one on a whim:

A: Light Bud Light style color with an ok white laced head.

S: I smell some of the oak barrels and a slight hop smell. This one doesn't smell bad at all.

T: This tastes too light for me. Kind of like a high end Bud. Eh, nothing special.

M: Leaves no stickiness and you can quickly forget this taste after you drink it.

D: This one goes down kind of tough. Not because it's strong, but because it's too light.

All in all, this one is more like a mainstream bud. This should not be anywhere near some of the craft brews in the fridge because it is not worthy. The brewery needs to rethink this beer.

4.55/5  rDev +21%

A - Clear medium amber/copper body with a fair amount of carbonation and a wonderful creamy off-white head. Nice lacing and good head retention.

S - Strong notes of vanilla, toffee and a good amount of oakiness in the smell. Loads of malts and not much in the way of hops. Some alcohol is also noticeable.

T - Starts with a fairly sweet, vanilla and toffee (or butterscotch) maltness, with a nice oak character and a bit of alcohol. A touch of bitterness and a very slight hint of cherry. The finish is woody and a bit sweet and dry. After a while, the whisky flavours start to come out more and more and linger throughout the aftertaste as well.

M - Medium-bodied, with some crisp carbonation. The oak taste covers the palate and provides for quite a unique sensation in a beer. You can also get a warming sensation out of it.

D - Quite good, but should be enjoyed in moderation. One can have a couple bottles, though, without worrying about getting a huge buzz.

All in all, Innis & Gunn is an oustanding beer, giving you quite a unique drinking experience. Highly recommended!

3.64/5  rDev -3.2%

Clear light copper pour with minimal head and lacing. Big oaky nose with hints of vanilla and tons of whiskey. Taste is much the same with the whiskey even more prevalent. It's amazing how the aging in bourbon barrels retains so much of the flavor and aroma. Not a whiskey drinker at all but pleasantly surprised by this beer. To sweet and rich for more than one, but enjoyable none the less.

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

G: Innis & Gunn Flute

A: Red-Amber body, clear with one inch head. Strong lacing throughout.

S: Toffee, vanilla, nutty, oak

T: Sweet toffee with vanilla notes, light hops.

M: Medium body, low-medium carbonation. Leaves a creamy toffee finish.

D: Very smooth and great tasting beer. Easy to drink and enjoy, but the price is a little steep.

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn