Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged BeerInnis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003)
4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Had this beer once before in the fall and was not impressed. Decided to give it a second try and glad I did. The bottle was marked May 18th, 2008 as its date of birth.

A: Just like in the bottle, medium honey color. Thin, filmy, uninspiring head. Nice ice sheet lacing.

S: I thought it would be skunked with the clear bottle and being out in light, but is wasn't. Caramel maltiness, vanilla, butterscotch, dark whiskey smell, bordering on rum like--sort of like Myers.

T: Vanilla and whiskey first hit the tongue, followed by a fantastic creme brulee taste with a hing of butterscotch and smokey alcohol.

M: A bit slick, carbonation does the slow dance on the tongue.

D: I'm enjoying this bottle infinitely, and wish there were a few more in my fridge.

phantomwyse, Jul 16, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

A- Comes in a clear bottle, which is the only beer that I've seen like this so far, nice looking bottle though, gives it a more prestigious feel. Pours a medium amber colour that is slightly hazy, but still clear enough to generally see through. The head isn't really thick but it is foamy and slowly dwindles to a thicker cover over top the liquid. There is also some really good lacing on the sides of my glass.

S- Very different! The oak really comes through, and I could also smell earth tones, leather, and baking spices...ground ginger came to mind, along with fresh ground pepper, raw vanilla beans and cinnamon. There is a dark molasses smell too. The whiskey aromas are also noticeable, but were to a lesser degree for myself than I would have thought. There is also some herbal notes to this brew that come through. Complex would best describe it!

T- Wow! This again is complex...I could immediately taste the woodiness that the oak provides, and just a wonderful backround of whiskey, that is sweetened up by flavorful sweet malts. There is a great honeyed tone in this and a nice toasty finish, just like toast with honey spread on it! The hops I didn't really notice on this but that didn't seem to matter with everything else going on here!

M- Here I was expecting a little more, as this is a relatively thin beer, but just slightly leaning towards a medium bodied drink. The carbonation is low, which does provide for a smooth beer that allows the palate to pick up all those great tastes! Very easy to drink. Once this has sat out for a while and warmed up a few degrees, it really mellows out and becomes even better than when cold!

D- I probably wouldn't make this my choice for an entire evening out but I would definately have this as an after dinner beer....great to relax with. I didn't even notice the 6.6% alcohol and would recommend this beer to someone who has some experience in trying bolder brews. I tried this when I first started venturing out of milder flavors and I admit, I didn't really like this, but now I think this is one of the best beers I've had to date. Will definately pick this one up again to enjoy!

ChrisCage, Jul 04, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Wow...delicious....

Clear bottle containing a light golden ale. Aroma is a mix of ale and whiskey.

Goes down very easy. Has a rich caramel-like flavor and an almost roasted aftertaste.

Smooth, tasty, light, and delicious. I have one swig left in my bottle and I want another bottle. Might have to look into getting a case for my beer trade group at work.

I give this appearance a 5 because the color is nice but the packaging enhances it. Looks like a bottle of whiskey.

theSaj, Jun 28, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

clear glass....do I need a glass? Yeah i guess so. Pours a watery looking light amber. no head. no action.

Aroma of a grolsch like lager and oak. Hint of whiskey.

Nice smooth oaky flavor but it still reminds me of a german/european lager. The whiskey is very present and surprisingly smooth.

Nice smoothness and a light [,lager like] flavor.

The ABV will sneak right up on you but this beer, although very easy to drink isn't a beer I want to keep drinking.

RixBeer, Jun 28, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Received a tasting portion at a BA meetup.

Poured an orange-red caramel color with almost no head.
Smelled of oak, whisky, caramel and alcohol
The caramel/whiskey flavors come through first with the oak coming in a little later. Good alcohol warming going down.
Medium mouthfeel. Some lingering sweetness and good carbonation.
Not sessionable, but tasty enough to keep drinking for a while if you have no where else to be.
Great English beer that should not be missed by anyone who can get this fresh. This was the surprise of our BA gathering.

gabeerfan, Jun 23, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

A- Appealing honey color. No lacing. Very little effervescence.

S- When I first popped the top it smelled a bit skunky. I figured the beer had been mishandled/stored since it is a clear glass bottle. Once the bottle was able to breath I immediately picked up a strong coffe aroma. I would probably have gone higher on this rating if I didn't get whalloped with that 'skunk' odor at first.

T- Very pleasing taste if you like coffee. Not much of an oak flavor but hints of caramel. The flavor was very good but probably not for everyone.

M- Had to go low on this one. The beer was virtually flat.

D- Good flavor and nice aroma. With such little carbonation you could knock back more than a couple but at 6.6% alcohol you might want to go easy.

Keith238, Jun 20, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a three finger cream head that fades slowly and leaves some lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Malty/vanilla nose. Flavor is sweet vanilla and oak. Pricey but worth trying at $4.49 for a 330ml bottle from Yankee Spirits South Attleboro, Ma.

jdhilt, Jun 17, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

This is one fine beer. Maybe one of the most flavorful and smooth beers I have ever tasted. Nice caramel color with white bubbles. Aroma is is like brown sugar- very sweet, with hints of oak and wood. Flavor profile at first was outstanding, sweet, chewy, malty and bready, with molasses and a rich woody aftertaste. The wood aging really seems to mellow this out. My only slightly negative feeling, was that it may have been too sweet- I would like to see a little more balance. But in the end, an experience.

AaronRed, Jun 06, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +16.7%

A really fascinating flavor! It's a bit smoky and savory... almost vegetal. There's a lot of aroma in the nose. Rich body with very mellow carbonation. The head is just a lacy foam across the surface of this golden amber brew.

The flavor is powerful, so I'm not sure that I'd want more than one of these at a go. It's a beer to sip, not one to swig on a hot summer day.

missginsu, May 28, 2008

A: Poured from a 750ml bottle into a goblet. It poured a light toffee color with a thin white head that stayed around for a long time. Don't really recall seeing much carbonation.

S: Very nice aroma. It was sweet, toffee perhaps, and smoky.

T: The taste was very good. I tried to drink it on a stand alone basis, but think that it would be best enjoyed with a meal. The toffee and alcohol really came through. You could also taste the smokiness from the oak barrels.

M/D: The beer was very smooth, creamy and strong. Light level of carbonation. Definitely has a lot of characteristics from the oak barrels and defiantly reminds me of a good scotch. Overall, a very good beer, one that I will have again, but I don't see myself drinking more than one at a time.

PhillyStyle, May 27, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +28.6%

Appearence: Innis & Gunn is a medium honey brown in color, with a thin white head that stays a while, leaving a thin lace.

Smell: Very good, sweet, malty and smoky, all at the same time.

Taste: Way above average (in my book), again sweet and malty, and you can definately taste the oaky smokiness of the barrells it was aged in.

Mouth feel: Very smooth, light on the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very east to drink, smooth and clean. All the different flavors blend well.

A little on the expensive side, but all in all this is my favorite beer, out of all the beers I have tried. Highly recommended.

junkman203, May 11, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a nice darker amber color with a short medium bodied white head that fades fast to a slight film on top of the beer. It laces some down the glass but not alot. It has a very smokey aroma overall with hints of nice sweet roasted malts and a nice hoppy bitterness underneath the smokey flavor. It tastes of very nicely mixed roasted malts, and then a really smokey flavor from the oak aging. It reminds me of a good whiskey or scotch in the taste which makes this a very nice sipping beer. The mouthfeel is very warming and smooth. The very strong flavoring makes it a bit harder to drink, but it is nice once it's warmed a bit.

erosier, May 06, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer pours a clear amber body with a small white head.

Nose is hands down one of the most interesting smells from an oak aged beer I've ever had. Very sweet, vinegar, oak, wet mulch or leaves, soft bread, toffee, fire, incense, cheap vanilla, pears, sour apples and an overall classic english crushed malt smell.

Taste is light to medium bodied with an immediate sourness, but not in a bad way. It's almost a funkiness like in a good lambic or something, but in this case it's a mixture of malt, fruit and an the odd oak aging. Almost a natural wood aged flavor. Lots of sweet whiskey malt just hovers in the background, almost lucidly. You constantly taste it, but it's never up front. Not overly bitter, but just enough to give it some balance. Ends with a nice malt character and some lingering touches of sweet whiskey.

What a fascinating oak aged beer. Hands down, the most unique I've ever tasted. It has this funk to it, like a really good cask cider or a natural lambic, but it completely and totally works. I like it.

taez555, May 03, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Pouring from the bottle, the color is a pale amber, looks almost like honey.

Smells smoky and strongly of alcohol. A mixture of beer and whiskey odor that reminds me of my old man.

Tastes like a combination of all of the above. Honey, Beer, Whiskey. This may not look good on paper, but the finished product is very unique, and very satisfying.

Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, and it is very drinkable compared to what I expected. Because of the very oaky aftertaste, I don't see myself drinking too many in a row, but I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

MisterDeeds, Apr 03, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

Innis & Gunn's Original Oak Aged Beer pours up a sweet-lookin' shade of honey. Topped with a thin, silky cream head, this beer cascades from the moment you pour until the glass is drained. Looks phenominal!!!

Smell hit me with the faintest of vinegar-like hints, which wasn't horrible, but just didn't grab me either.

Taste like melted butterscotch. Mellow sweet, super creamy, lovely oak hints. Quite nice, my friend!

In the mouth, again with the butter and smoothness.

While highly drinkable in terms of heft and taste, it is not exactly a beer that is priced to chug, so 3.5 sounds about right to me.

All the better, as it contributes to keeping this special beer special!

Enjoy!

followfollow162, Mar 31, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Amazing beer(if you can call it that). Very thick syrupy mouthfeel, great butterscotch, citrus aroma; and a great cinnamony, oak and whiskey flavour. I would advise not to drink more than one or two in a row. This beer can not be described well enough, you have to try it. Definately in my top 5 favourite beers..

*Edit*

This beer is still wonderful, but I remember it being much better when I first reviewed it. The last one I had was just too skunky, but still very tasty with the oak and whiskey and vanilla flavours. This is still one of my favourites, because it is so unique to me.

GodOfBeer, Mar 11, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Slender bottle purchased from Gary's in Madison...
Staff there recommended this to me, so I decided to give it a shot...
A very aggressive pour resulted in a lucid, clear, dark-amber colored hue with no carbonation present and a moderate-sized head that soon receded leaving a fair amount of lacing...
"Edinburgh Ale Aged in Oak Barrels Traditionally Used to Mature Malt Whiskey" on the front logo sticker...
The oak-barrel factor was certaily evident in the aroma, and much more so than in the taste, which had a nice, bourbon-caramel and vanilla essence that added to this beer's overall appeal and flavor...
Taste wasn't bad at all, filled with oak-aged nuances, vanilla, and caramel...
Rich, honey and sugar-laden mouthfeel make this beer a truly enjoyable sample witout being overbearing or cloying...
Great level of drinkability due to the smooth and crisp flavors and the hardly noticeable ABV...
Good stuff...
Recommmended...

dsa7783, Mar 08, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Wonderful! Pours beautifully into the glass with a light head. A traditional aroma that you'd expect form a Bitter except with something more. The oak flavor is rather prominent, but in a good, very drinkable way. Has a bourbon-like quality, yet also reminds me of Tanner's Jack, but not as dry. Some beers that have this oaky-ness are great for one beer, but you couldn't imagine having another. This is not that beer. The oaky-ness balances wonderfully with the malt and the hops, which creates a very, VERY drinkable session beer.

Shame it's sold in clear glass. I got lucky and it wasn't skunk.

careforapint, Feb 17, 2008

Appearance - Clear pale brown beer, a white to moderate head without much retention.

Aroma - Vanilla, sour fruit and wood, a smoky aroma present on a second sniff.

Taste - Sweet malt, smokey and "whiskyish" taste that builds into the finish. The whisky note is comparatively mild (compared to whisky) and well balanced by the malt and carbonation.

Mouthfeel - Light, average carbonation.

Overall - Interesting, balanced beer. The whisky flavour provides a strong taste to work against the malt (the way hops do). This gives it a harsh and very woody/earthy feel. Not my personal preference, but I can see why many find this beer irresistable.

DaveUK, Feb 10, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Innis & Gunn's Oak Aged Beer pours a clear amber body beneath a short head of white froth that holds fairly well before dropping to a thin surface covering. The collar is wider, however, and it leaves some very nice lacing about the glass - including some very nice, thick craggy rings at the outset, and some patches of tiny spotted walls throughout the middle.

The nose is distinctly toffeeish and nutty over a delicate bit of sweetish fruit (apples, berries) and mild wood. Interesting yeast!

It's smooth across the palate with a medium-light body and a gently tingling, fine-bubbled, and moderate carbonation.

The flavor delivers all that the nose promises and more with a note of vanilla that enhances the perception of sweetness at the front of the mouth. Then the buttery toffee and nuttiness appear, completing the scene. It's very toffeeish as you approach the middle of the palate. The dryness of the oak steps in, however, and brings it into balance. A solid bitterness, some woody dryness, and smears of leafy, grassy, and mildly citrusy hops linger in the finish. There's also a bit of a whisky taste that really gives it a certain charm and complexity.

It's interesting and fairly layered, with more than enough character to keep you engaged throughout the glass. And the sweet and then dry and bitter symphony followed by a blast of bitterness and alcohol is certainly entertaining as well... however, I'm not sure it has a real 'overall' drinkability. One is very enjoyable, but that may be my limit for the night. Still, I found it very interesting, and worth seeking out for fans of Scottish ales and whisky.

NeroFiddled, Jan 23, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

A: A nice amber whisky-like clear colour. Foam is medium strong and resulting lacing seems to hold up well.

S: The smell is rich with oak, fruit and spices and a caramellish hint.
Really mouth-watering.

T: Taste is more bland than you'd expect from the smell althought still unique with distinct oak and caramel hints. The taste is slightly overwhelmed by the strong carbonation.

M: Mouthfeel is great with small soft bubbles that linger and leave a soothing warm feeling on the palate and tongue. Almost a champagne-like mouthfeel.

D: Definetely suitable for consumption on a winter night. Strong-ish ABV makes it ideal for a beer to relax with, especially fitting after sauna.

Overall a definitely recommended calming soft beer that's got a unique whisky-like aroma to it.

AlXalone, Jan 05, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a 330mL (clear!) bottle into a Stella Artois gold-rimmed glass.

Appearance is filtered, reddish brown with a substantial white head that dissipates into a rocky and bubbly lace.

Immediate sharp floral bouquet. Aromas are quite oaky, reminiscent of a 90s Chardonnay. Loads of toffee and caramel. Bourbon, nuts, fermented tobacco, spice, burnt sugar, vanilla notes present. Sweet malt. I've never smelled sweet wort but I feel like this is what it would smell like (without all the oaky stuff). Very interesting!

Medium bodied mouthfeel with surprising carbonation. Warming finish.

Sweet malty palate with some heat. Reasonable hop tartness. Acidic, citric and long finish with some butterscotch and wood.

Best part of this beer is the nose, it is surprisingly complex and enjoyable. Taste and mouthfeel are mediocre. Not an everyday beer but I recommend trying it if you can!

Antilochus, Jan 04, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug.

A: Pours a golden body with a small white head. Reduces to a nice lacing. with decent lacing along the sides of the glass as i drank head. the small lacing holds along the top of the beer until the finish.

S: Smelled of sweet malts.

T: Sweet, malty taste with a sweet, honey aftertaste that reminded me a little of a pilsner aftertaste.

M: A light and crisp mouthfeel. A little overcarbonated, but not too bad.

D: Definitely a good, drinkable beer. Can definitely pound these back. Crisp and refreshing.

maddogruss, Jan 04, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance - brisk pour produced a one finger head of fluffy white foam, which quickly disappated. Crystal clear, honey brown color.

Smell - vanilla, butterscotch, bourbon, mild alcohol

Taste - like butterscotch candy, vanilla is there too. Slight hop bitterness comes through in the end.

Mouthfeel - moderate carbonation, that disappated, became almost watery

Drinkability - Quite a different for a pale ale, but I liked it. I would pick it up again.

dehay, Jan 01, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: clear amber in color sporting a wispy 1/4" head that falls apart to a few spots of surface spots. No lacing developed.

Smell: caramel and hints of smokiness are soft and mildy pleasant.

Taste: caramel, hints of whiskey, ripe fruit sweetness, a hint of alcohol, and some very mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: smooth throughout. Medium bodied. Mildly short aftertaste.

Drinkability: this beer is a definite slow sipper for a pale ale since the whiskey tones don't lend itself to be a session ale. Overall an OK beer but not overwhelming.

Gavage, Dec 13, 2007