Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged BeerInnis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003)
2.63/5  rDev -30.1%

Immediately apparent are the rich honey-copper color and strong alcohol aroma. This review, however, is of 3 of the 4 bottles I've purchased in Boston and Rhode Island, in search of another like the first I tasted. From memory, it was rich in oak, vanilla, and scotch-ale flavors and caramel-sweet. For the last three I've had, which have brought the average down and are responsible for the meh numbers:

Appearance: The clear bottle shows the beer's aforementioned color well, and when poured, two fingers of fine creamy head rest at the top of my pint glass.

Smell: Here's where one starts to worry. Alcohol cuts through the sweetness and caramel, and through that the beginning of the metallic twinge of a cheap lager, or the oxidized aroma of the six well-worn ones you spent on the bottle, you'd think you'd just poured that pint from a(n expensive) silver can.

Taste: This is where you realize you're ruined, and so is the bomber you've purchased. The metallic taste is overwhelming and especially unpleasant in a scotch ale. (If you'd like a metaphor, this is the southern-belle sweet foreign exchange student who knocks on your door, smiles brightly, and pulls a knife on you.)

Mouthfeel: This doesn't suffer much, and is substantial enough to hold up the sweetness without being cloying or syrupy. In keeping with the creamy head, the beer rolls smoothly around the palate with very little carbonation.

Drinkability: I poured a glass, admired it, hoped, smelled, doubted, tasted, and tossed it out.

Methinks the clear glass bottle and long shelf times (not many buyers) are to blame for the high rate of skunking of this beer. I really, truly have had a good bottle, and I'm not sure if they turned out a bad lot that hasn't cleared out of local stores or if something more mundane or sinister is afoot. As it is, if you're a gambler or Casey at the Bat, or have six bucks to waste and feel lucky, give it a try.

Poured into a pint glass, honey like color. Thin white head thta disappeared quickly, little lacing. Smelled nice, almost more like wine than beer, very sweet with hints of vanilla and molasses, slighly reminiscent of lemon and also hint of walnut. Taste is very vanilla, sweet and bitter at same tie like a white wine with a very nice finish like a well aged brandy. Very unique beer, probably too sweet for most but I will definitely have this again.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

A clear bright copper color with a fair off white fuzzy cap and good lacing. The aroma is maple walnut malt, even butterscotch, sweet and distinct. The taste reveals a more obvious oak bourbon flavoring with a nice lightly carbonated midland feel. A tad syrupy perhaps, quite sweet, but drinkable and tastey. It has a complexity with nut and oak, cherry highlights. Overall I would say it is a tasty treat but it could easily be too sweet for many folks.

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%

In a snifter:

Pours clear, dark orange with good size head and decent retention. Has a strange umami smell, as well as vanilla, pepper, and molasses. Can taste the umami, which actually works OK. Vanilla, cherry, and oak tastes as well. Mouthfeel is excellent with a great body and good carbonation.

Overall: Unique flavor takes away from otherwise decent beer. However, absolutely worth a try - very good brew.

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

I'm not so sure that this is correctly labelled as an English pale, but it is a unique beer that doesn't neatly fit into existing categories. The beer pours a slight orangey amber color that is quite clear although some loose cloudy yeast bits can be seen on the bottom of the clear glass bottle. There is a fairly thick white head that dissipates quickly. The nose on the beer is antique butterscotch and a fairly strong smokey wood aged oak. There is a definite ABV aroma in the nose as well.

The taste is not quite as pungent as the aroma, which is probably a good thing. For starters, the beer is definitely low carbonation, very smooth, slightly creamy. This is a light bodied beer as well. The oaky wood so strong in the nose is a few shades toned down in the flavor. More pronounced is a vanilla, almost cream soda syrup sweet malty taste. There is some smoked straw like scotch flavors in the beer and the antique butterscotch is also present throughout. The 6.6% ABV is completely hidden and unnoticeable and I would have expected a much lower ABV beer from the taste. The beer is a touch thin and there really is no residual aftertastes and the mouthfeel is quite slight from a light bodied beer. This is a unique beer worth seeking out for its change of pace character, but not as a steady diet. L'Chaim.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance - Comes in a clear bottle, which is nice but I know can hurt the beer with information about how the beer is made. A nice light brown, with a bit of a red oak tinge to it. A minuscule amount of lacing and solid signs of carbonation. Head is almost nonexistent and disappears quickly.

Smell - Immediate overpowering skunk that took time to clear, as soon as the bottle was opened. Thankfully, after it cleared I was treated to a definite Oak Barrel smell, common with whiskey with vanilla and underlying malts. Very pleasant if not for the skunk.

Taste - Initially starts with a slight tinge of skunk, but thankfully it's overpowered by an almost a shortbread biscuit taste mixed with a smokey oak barrel, which I suspect may have casked white wine at some point. Ends with some mild bitter toffee like malts with a slightly nutty flavor.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is perfect, and little to no aftertaste. A nice influx of different flavors that don't transition too harshly. Only beef is that I would have liked a little bit of head.

Drinkability - This beer is perfectly walks the tightrope of smoky and sweet. It was smooth going down, and medium bodied. That being said, I don't think I could drink this beer all night as it is a bit too sweet and it seems to give a bit of mild gut rot. Still, a nice treat and definitely worth a try if you are big into whiskey.

Final Word - When I picked this up at the store, and saw it was on the shelf, unrefrigerated and unshaded, I really should have known better. I'm pretty sure that this beer wasn't stored properly, as my main problem with it is the skunking, which probably was caused by lack of refrigeration and light damage. However, I'm not 100% sure it was entirely the store's fault, as many people have commented on the skunk. Still, this beer fights through it and was enjoyable. The taste of this beer simply screams Scottish. I would love to try it again, but closer to the source next time.

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

Picked up a bottle of this at Green's on Buford highway and cracked it open the same day. Pours a light brown with a big head that dissipates. Not a whole lot of lacing with this one. Smell is mixed with a metallic macro with hints of vanilla and caramel. Taste is predominantly malt characterized by toffee, vanilla, caramel, with the most predominant taste being the vanilla taste. Overall, the beer is very sweet, as expected. Light body in the mouth feel and moderate drinkability. Overalll, this beer is a little sweet for me and doesn't have enough body to support how sweet it is. Average brew. Not my favorite but not bad.

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured into a snifter after warming from the fride for about 20 mins. Best before date was smudged.

A: Dark honey with a tinge of red. Small eighth of an inch white head which subsided very quickly to a few soapy bubbles clinging to the edge of my glass.

S: Right when I popped the cap off of this one I could smell it. Vanilla, bourbon, and alcohal are the the first scents which hit me. After that I can smell chardonnay grapes.

T: Both sweet and bitter at the same time. Sweet vanilla and malt kind of balanced out by the hops. Here is where I start to detect the oak and it's very pleasant. Finish is long: oak, white wine, and caramel.

M: Peppery medium carbonation, in my opinion, enhances the flavour profile of this beer.

D: With 6.60% alcohal I would go for a few more if I had them but I bought this one as a single.

Did not really like the first few sips of this one, perhaps it was served too cold. I find it is best served a few degrees above the recommended serve temp. At $3.20 for a 330ml bottle from my local LCBO I probably will buy another one, but thats it. With that said, I suggest this beer to anybody who loves white wine with a subtle oak flavour (you know who you are).

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Clear glass bottle with best before stamped on shoulder.

Small bubbly white head ontop of a remarkably clear amber, with plenty of carbonation visible in the glass. No lacing or retention to speak of.

Nose has a definite oaky smell, with vanilla, butterscotch overtones that remind me very much of a smooth whisky. Mild sweetened hops in the background.

Very sweet honey flavour, light biscuit, more of the vanilla and oak whisky notes. Hops are just barely discernible before a bittersweet malt finish.

Mouthfeel is downright velvety, coats the mouth and tongue and feels just a touch sticky and chewy. No carbonation felt here.

This beer is quite smooth and easy-drinking. It's something of a different experience; it takes on a lot of the oak barrel characteristics, but I can still tell there's a beer underneath all the vanilla and oak. Tasty stuff.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

11.2oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Honey-colored clear brew with a fairly large-bubbled white foamt head that recedes quickly to not much, little lace.

Aroma is quite unique with distinct oaky malty Scotch whisky scents. Very nice! On the palate fizzy and smooth...the oak and malt are nicely balanced with lots of apple fruitness. The overall impression of Scotch whisky flavor is quite interesting and fun. In general, a light bodied beer with mild bitterness, fairly refreshing.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a clear glass 1pt 6.7oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured a golden amber honey color. The pour produced a creamy head of white foam and lots of spotty circular lacing that clung to the glass until the last sip.

S - Malty, with hints of vanilla and whiskey. Smelled a lot like a high quality, super charged NewCastle.

T - Malty with a bit of sweetness. Slight nuttines with definite whiskey flavors.

MF&D - Meduim bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. Went down well despite the 6.6% ABV. A quality beer that should be sampled by fans of English Ales.

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

I got this at a Midtown NYC bar and it was ridiculously priced at $12 for a pint. The smell was horrific--think cat piss. But the taste was excellent.

This is a fickle beer. I've had it before and didn't care for it, but at it's best it is very good, despite the smell.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Drinkability - I'd have another of this tasty treat but I'm not sure if I'd have more in the same session.

Appearance - clear, golden and what you'd think an oak aged beer might look like.

Smell - skunky. At first I'm worried that I might have a bad beer.

Taste - I cautiously take a sip...and a very nice surprise! The skunkiness steps aside to vanilla toffee and butter. The oak gives it a bit of a very light whiskey-like lingering finishing tone. Nice balance between maltiness and low bitterness. An interesting take and still fits the traditional style.

As the beer warms up the skunky smell dissipates to the sweet vanilla toffee and butter notes are very nice. I'll have trouble scoring this one...

Mouthfeel - Smooth and watery to start with a creamy butter finishing residue. Good level of low-medium carbonation.

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

This is definitely not your typical Pale Ale - very distinctive aroma of honey, but more honeycomb from a rustic farm in Vermont than honey out of a plastic bottle from the grocery store. Similary distinctive taste - another reviewer described it as "peat" - I'll go with that and add floral - again, more wild flowers from the highlands of Scotland than 1800 flowers. There is something about certain beers - English and Scottish beers in particular - where one can almost picture the landscape around where they were brewed, or at least where you would want a beer that tastes this way to be brewed! Definitely give this one a try, too unique not to.

3.4/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a deep honey colour, with a modest 1/2" head that recedes to near nothing within 30 seconds or so...

Smell is of peat, whisky, vanilla, booze, pale malt...not much detectable hop character

Taste is biscuity up front, moving to a sweet taste, and then everything turns to whisky- a smokey peat blast with a smooth carmelly finish. Some pear/cider in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium, nothing out of the ordinary.

Drinkability may be limited due to the intense peatiness.

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

First review on this site so---Overall the closest I have had to a beer/whiskey mix...It tastes good, but not sure if I would have more than one in a sitting

Appearance: Medium gold, small head that disappears.

Smell: Oaky and hoppy

Taste: I taste whiskey, and a slightly sweet aftertaste

Mouthfeel: It lingers a bit with a small syrupy taste--not my thing, but not bad

Drinkability: I think one is my limit because of the sweetness, but it is a very good beer

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

330 mL clear bottle poured into a glass.

Nice head that dissipates slowly. Beautiful dark amber/light copper color that is fully transparent.

I don't have a very keen sense of smell, but this is one of the few beers that actually did something for me in the olfactory department. Very nice hoppy/grainy scent erupted as the bottle cap cracked.

I have 2 reviews for the taste. The first wants to go on and on about the oak-barrel-aged flavorings, the lush sweetness (vanilla meets mild citrus with a hint of toffe). This is superb. But as I swallow, there is a strong flavor of alcohol that comes through. It does lighten a bit as I get further down the glass, but the first 3/4 of the drink has quite an overpowering taste of alcohol in the finish. This is my only complaint of this beer, which is quite tragic as it is so good in so many other ways.

Mouthfeel is great. It wants to sit on your tongue for a long time. Very drinkable beer--again, except for the strong alcohol aftertaste. Is that because of the 6.6 ABV? or the clear bottle? or some other factor?

Even so, I'd definitely drink this again as the smell and general taste are so nice.

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

A- amber color, pours tall white head dissaptes slowly

S - malts, sweets toffee,

TM - almond, toffee, smooth delicousiness vanilla

D - Great, Drinking the whole 22 to myself.

LOVE THIS BEER. Great brew smooth and delicious all around, not a high abv. Good and should try.

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Slightest of haze to an otherwise light amber color. Even with a violent pour, there is virtually no head here. What does show, fades within seconds. Interestingly, there is some fine lace on the side of the glass.

Curse the clear bottle; lots of skunk here. Vanilla notes and a kind of Bailey's Irish Cream smell.

This tastes like what would happen if you added a small amount of Drambuie to a British Mild. Honey, heather and a touch of mocha. Low level of bittering hops. A thick beer with a low level of fine-bubbled carbonation. A little bit of warming alcohol noted in the aftertaste.

This one does well after the initial weak start.

2.9/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Served in a clear bottle, which may or may not have affected the final product that I tasted. It looked nice with a clear copper color, and a nice head with lots of lace. The aroma was faint, sweet. full of toffee, malt, and more alcohol that I would expect for a 6.6% beer.

It felt a little syrupy, with a good amount of carbonation. The taste was overpowering of something, I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. It had lots of toffee, some vanilla, lots of woody flavor. The alcohol again seemed like a lot for 6%. I think this beer has helped me to decide that I'm not a big fan of oak aged beers.

I won't say that I like the beer, but I will say that it was different, flavorful, and interesting. A good quality beer, just not my favorite.

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a rich copper color, with a nice creamy white head.

Smells like an ale with a finish of vanilla and almond.

A little sweet, almost honey like in flavor and mouthfeel. Very soft creamy mouthfeel.

This a nice beer that I would love to have again in the future.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

had this beer last night after the bartender cracked it open for us

pours a wonderful dawn/copper color with a good amount of head

it smells like a good uk style ale
it tastes great! the head lingers and its pretty smooth and you can taste the hops

the abv is just high enough you can drink a few and still feel pretty silly

its a great fun beer to drink ,lighter in color and a little smoother than most Esb's I have had, simular to Old Speckled Hen but more interesting

i will def look for this one again

ps im Scottish and I turned out ok, so its no suprise this beer did too.

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance: Pale, clear yellow. No head retention at cellar temperature.

Smell: Oh wow. Whiskey and vanilla. Lots of alcohol aromas with a nice english Pale backbone.

Taste: Lots of vanilla and Whiskey flavour. Slightly sweet but a pronounced english hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is a little higher than your average English Ale. But it works well with this beer since it has so many bold flavours. If it were less carbonated, this beer would become syrupy.

Drinkability: I love having 1...Maybe 2 in a sitting but no more than that because by the end you feel like you've had a couple shots of Scotch. Not to mention it makes you smell like you were showered with fine single malt.

1.6/5  rDev -57.4%

DEFINATELY NOT FOR ME

Appearance: Pours a light amber color, thin looking with some bubbles rising up inside. Has a frothy, two-finger head which lasts for about a minute and leaves a little bubbly lacing behind.

Smell: Strong in the nose but sweet as well. Has a heavy woodsy and whiskey scent, with a little toffee and caramel. Has a sort of thick, buttery smell below the surface. A rather intimidating smell.

Taste: Tastes almost identical to the smell. The whiskey and butteryness is up close and personal, and I can't say I like the mixture of the two. No hops at all, and has an unpleasant syrupy taste, similar to butterscotch.

Mouthfeel: Foamy and somewhat thick, like a thin syrup with carbonation. Puts a little bit of carbonation on the tongue, but not too much. Aftertaste is like a very bland version of the taste.

Drinkability: Personally, I hated this beer. I thought the butter flavor in the taste was disgusting, and being combined with the syrup texture made it even worse. I would never buy or drink this beer again, but that's just me. You very well might like it even though I couldn't finish one.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

Smell: lots of toffee and vanilla, some fresh, flowery citrus. Funny how much toffee this beer smells.

Anyways, the taste has more flavors, again toffee and vanilla, with cream and some roasted coffee notes, almost like capuccino, and some citric hops. However, the taste is rather thin, almost watery sometimes, which is a big flaw.

Overall: interesting beer, but too thin.

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn