Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged BeerInnis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003)
4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

A Scottish ale aged for 77 days (so they say) in oak barrels.
A: This is a beautiful looking beer from the old fashion Scotch bottle presentation to the magnifiecent dark honey brew and thick, linen linen white head.
S: Malt, toffee, honey, wood, oats and brown bread hit the nose hard on first encounter, then mellow significantly with air.
T: Lots of malt and cereals with a slight citrus tang on the finish. Breaks sweet with minimal hop overtones, but still slightly refereshing.
M: Very medium bodied. A surprise given the nose and the production method. Expected a real viscous drink.
D: Over time, the big smells and tastes relax quite a bit to makethis more drinakble than you'd think at first quaff.

cnahil, Sep 01, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

A prescedent and reigning champion within the oaked ropes. Aromas of bourbon and natural wood syrups. A well balanced symphony of butterscotch, toffee, vanilla, and needless to say, oak. Intensely flavorful and unique. The well defined maturation process vamps this ale way above other wood aged ales. Always a treat.

SeanRedd, Aug 31, 2008

Deep amber looks reminiscent of molasses. Syrup oozing down maple trees scent and my mouth is watering. MMMmmm...oak. Malty sweetness much like honey with some butterscotch and syrupy aftertaste. This beer has autumn bottled up inside of it, I can almost taste the yellowing leaves falling off the trees. A real treat to behold.

JRed, Aug 31, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

A friend brought me a 330 ml bottle of this, purchased in Canada. Decanted into a pint glass.

Appearance is a nice, rich honey color with one finger of foam. That dissipates as the beer gets warmer.

Aromas are of a strong maltiness - like a classic English pale ale - with a twinge of hops. Definitely some notes of honey. Light boozy whiskey note, too, with a little bit of oak.

Flavor leans to the sweet side - rich honey, mostly malty center. The hop bitterness disappears, although the whiskey and oak linger.

Mouthfeel is moderate. Nicely done. Small bite of fizz.

This is a pretty drinkable beer - it leans towards sweet in the flavors, so a little unbalanced, but it's a really nice take on the English pale ale. And I always love something that's barrel-aged!

ndekke39, Aug 29, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

I tried this out first out of curiosity while having some tapas at Pipa on East 20th in Manhattan the other day. The oak aged name also had me keening for this one to hit my lips and it sure was well worth the shot.

A: Poured into a tulip glass to display a dark amber body with shiney accents, and a one finger head that receded quickly to almost zero cap but retained carbonation througout the imbibing.

S: The nose is quite sweet (toffey or vanilla) at first before moving to the clear as day oak smell, then on towards a boozy liquer aroma. Very enticing and I knew first off this was not going to be a tangy pale ale as in the past.

T: Sweet!. I deteced whiskey in the swirl around my mouth as the rest of the diners I was with also started calling for "2 more Gunns" when their pallets were hit the the sweet complexity. A wonderful dryness and subtle hops to clean up your pallet from the initial sweetness.

M: Slippery in a good sense. Creamy and then a biting carbonation with the finish. Perhaps some citrus I missed in the taste but got in the overall finish.

D: This is a great beer. I've only had a few ( Fullers London Pride and Speckled Hen) from this category but I can say without hesistation that this is one of the best Pale Ale's I've ever had the opportunity to put down my stomach. If I had not poured this beauty from a bottle myself, I would have thought it came from a cask.

Brianmerrilyn, Aug 21, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Intirgued by the end cap at the Shop Rite Liquors for some time, I figured this kind of brew was perfect for sampling after the 2008 Brew Fest. So in between card plays of Greg Hughes' wildly entertaining game Discombobulation, I jotted down some notes... golden, scotch-like copper pint... white, pencil-thin head that sits on a sparkling body... malt and honey abound with an aggressive weight... bouquet is wildly fragrant... smooth, slick and very drinkable (for a 6.6 ABV!)... uniquely pleasant... tastes begin simply with butter, caramel and toffee... however, those flavors also suggest vanilla and some other flavors I'm not good enough at this time of night to detect... overall, the discussion alone with Ryan, Jer, Cheri, Russ and Amy was worth the purchase-although $4 a bottle is a bit hefty on a weekly wallet--and the beer's finish warmed without rudeness or alcohol...

dacrza1, Aug 20, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Course thin head looks amber red in colour
Vanilla butterscotch aroma
The taste is Whiskey,vanilla and a bit woody. There is a malty sweetness as well. A nice tasting brew with a complexity given by the oak aging.

Mouthfeel - carbonation is a bit rough in texture but smooth in body. The combination is a little strange.

A nice beer with an unusual flavor that I appreciate. Pretty easy drink.

ThirstyBird, Aug 15, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

The scent of wet wood was the first thing I noticed after pouring the bottle into a pint glass. A nice orange color with a thick head greated me from the pour. The head shrank to a layer of lace on the top. Some of the lace sticks to the side on the glass as I taste the beer. The wood's flavor is much more delicate. It does not overpower the beer. It is very smooth. After tasting the beer, I breathe deep into the glass. Now the smell of oak really reaches out. Reminds me of when I bought oak furniture and it arrived at my new place. It is a great scent. I almost can't believe that the liquid in my glass can smell that rich. The beer is slightly sweet with a honey like quality. The beer is two thirds finished and the head remains constant. I finish the beer regretting that I didn't get more bottles for my friends and family to try.

JMBSH, Aug 11, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Served in a pint glass.

A: The color was interesting b/c after being poured it appeared to be a pink amber. Nice foamy head that lasted a long time, carbonation bubbles easily seen, nice lace left after sipping.

S: It was really hard to pinpoint many smells. There is a distinct oak and whiskey smell, followed by malt and woodsy.

T: The taste was exactly as the smell - distinct oak and bourbon, followed by a hint of malt and woodsy spice.

M: Non-foaming in the mouth. Very slick with some carbonation.

D: Very smooth beer to drink. Not my all time favorite, but a nice choice if I want to go with something lighter. I'll definitely pick this up again, as well as trying out their new Rum Cask beer.

TheRogue, Aug 06, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Dark orange/caramel in colour. Nice creamy head that persists. Low carbonation.

Classy and enticing aromas of vanilla, herbs, tea, citrus and sweet malt. Pleasing and complex. Every changing. After time in the glass the nose becomes more hop dominant.

Very full sweetish palate of malt, toffee and some more vanilla like barrel flavours. A touch cloying, however the decent bitterness helps balance that out.

Great mouthfeel - full and creamy.

The cloyingness of the palate knocks a few points off, but otherwise its a interesting drop.

koolk, Aug 04, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Interesting beer contained in a whiskey-shaped bottle. Pours with a medium-density head that disappears rather quickly, leaving behind a few white bubbles. Oak is everywhere in the aroma, as is butter and some fruit, but mostly oak. Likewise the taste, with plenty of malt, and slightly sweet. In fact, it reminded me very much of the smell I get after ripping an oak board on a table saw. That's pleasant enough, but in this beer the oak is only slightly less than overpowering. The beer beneath the aroma is a bit thin for my liking, but still tasty. Now I'd like to try an oak-aged ale that has a bit more body. Overall, I'd say this is worth a try.

Although the Web site says this beer is aged in oak casks previously used to age bourbon, the bottle label says nothing about booze having been present in the barrels. Based on the taste, I'm inclined to believe the bottle-- I detected no trace of whiskey.

gfreed, Aug 03, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured from a small .333L clear glass bottle to a pint glass, the liquid is a pale yellow with good carbonation. The head is a nice fat 2 fingers, white and leaves some lace.

The smell is very good lots of oak aromas as the hops are quite subdued. The oak mis quite nice and noticeable, as are some alcohol notes as well.

The taste follows, lots of oak as well as nuts and other earthy tastes. Any extra hops have long faded but left some mark in the finish. The after taste goes back to wood and alcohol. The malt character is caramel not so bready. As the brew warms some lemon and other citrus notes appear. Very nice brew!

The mouthfeel is close to full body, and the carbonation is good, the texture is creamy and thick with out any stickiness.

The drinkability is very good here is a brew I would like to try much more of.

Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK

MuenchenerKindl, Jul 21, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Had this beer once before in the fall and was not impressed. Decided to give it a second try and glad I did. The bottle was marked May 18th, 2008 as its date of birth.

A: Just like in the bottle, medium honey color. Thin, filmy, uninspiring head. Nice ice sheet lacing.

S: I thought it would be skunked with the clear bottle and being out in light, but is wasn't. Caramel maltiness, vanilla, butterscotch, dark whiskey smell, bordering on rum like--sort of like Myers.

T: Vanilla and whiskey first hit the tongue, followed by a fantastic creme brulee taste with a hing of butterscotch and smokey alcohol.

M: A bit slick, carbonation does the slow dance on the tongue.

D: I'm enjoying this bottle infinitely, and wish there were a few more in my fridge.

phantomwyse, Jul 16, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

A- Comes in a clear bottle, which is the only beer that I've seen like this so far, nice looking bottle though, gives it a more prestigious feel. Pours a medium amber colour that is slightly hazy, but still clear enough to generally see through. The head isn't really thick but it is foamy and slowly dwindles to a thicker cover over top the liquid. There is also some really good lacing on the sides of my glass.

S- Very different! The oak really comes through, and I could also smell earth tones, leather, and baking spices...ground ginger came to mind, along with fresh ground pepper, raw vanilla beans and cinnamon. There is a dark molasses smell too. The whiskey aromas are also noticeable, but were to a lesser degree for myself than I would have thought. There is also some herbal notes to this brew that come through. Complex would best describe it!

T- Wow! This again is complex...I could immediately taste the woodiness that the oak provides, and just a wonderful backround of whiskey, that is sweetened up by flavorful sweet malts. There is a great honeyed tone in this and a nice toasty finish, just like toast with honey spread on it! The hops I didn't really notice on this but that didn't seem to matter with everything else going on here!

M- Here I was expecting a little more, as this is a relatively thin beer, but just slightly leaning towards a medium bodied drink. The carbonation is low, which does provide for a smooth beer that allows the palate to pick up all those great tastes! Very easy to drink. Once this has sat out for a while and warmed up a few degrees, it really mellows out and becomes even better than when cold!

D- I probably wouldn't make this my choice for an entire evening out but I would definately have this as an after dinner beer....great to relax with. I didn't even notice the 6.6% alcohol and would recommend this beer to someone who has some experience in trying bolder brews. I tried this when I first started venturing out of milder flavors and I admit, I didn't really like this, but now I think this is one of the best beers I've had to date. Will definately pick this one up again to enjoy!

ChrisCage, Jul 04, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Wow...delicious....

Clear bottle containing a light golden ale. Aroma is a mix of ale and whiskey.

Goes down very easy. Has a rich caramel-like flavor and an almost roasted aftertaste.

Smooth, tasty, light, and delicious. I have one swig left in my bottle and I want another bottle. Might have to look into getting a case for my beer trade group at work.

I give this appearance a 5 because the color is nice but the packaging enhances it. Looks like a bottle of whiskey.

theSaj, Jun 28, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

clear glass....do I need a glass? Yeah i guess so. Pours a watery looking light amber. no head. no action.

Aroma of a grolsch like lager and oak. Hint of whiskey.

Nice smooth oaky flavor but it still reminds me of a german/european lager. The whiskey is very present and surprisingly smooth.

Nice smoothness and a light [,lager like] flavor.

The ABV will sneak right up on you but this beer, although very easy to drink isn't a beer I want to keep drinking.

RixBeer, Jun 28, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Received a tasting portion at a BA meetup.

Poured an orange-red caramel color with almost no head.
Smelled of oak, whisky, caramel and alcohol
The caramel/whiskey flavors come through first with the oak coming in a little later. Good alcohol warming going down.
Medium mouthfeel. Some lingering sweetness and good carbonation.
Not sessionable, but tasty enough to keep drinking for a while if you have no where else to be.
Great English beer that should not be missed by anyone who can get this fresh. This was the surprise of our BA gathering.

gabeerfan, Jun 23, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A- Appealing honey color. No lacing. Very little effervescence.

S- When I first popped the top it smelled a bit skunky. I figured the beer had been mishandled/stored since it is a clear glass bottle. Once the bottle was able to breath I immediately picked up a strong coffe aroma. I would probably have gone higher on this rating if I didn't get whalloped with that 'skunk' odor at first.

T- Very pleasing taste if you like coffee. Not much of an oak flavor but hints of caramel. The flavor was very good but probably not for everyone.

M- Had to go low on this one. The beer was virtually flat.

D- Good flavor and nice aroma. With such little carbonation you could knock back more than a couple but at 6.6% alcohol you might want to go easy.

Keith238, Jun 20, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a three finger cream head that fades slowly and leaves some lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Malty/vanilla nose. Flavor is sweet vanilla and oak. Pricey but worth trying at $4.49 for a 330ml bottle from Yankee Spirits South Attleboro, Ma.

jdhilt, Jun 17, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

This is one fine beer. Maybe one of the most flavorful and smooth beers I have ever tasted. Nice caramel color with white bubbles. Aroma is is like brown sugar- very sweet, with hints of oak and wood. Flavor profile at first was outstanding, sweet, chewy, malty and bready, with molasses and a rich woody aftertaste. The wood aging really seems to mellow this out. My only slightly negative feeling, was that it may have been too sweet- I would like to see a little more balance. But in the end, an experience.

AaronRed, Jun 06, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A really fascinating flavor! It's a bit smoky and savory... almost vegetal. There's a lot of aroma in the nose. Rich body with very mellow carbonation. The head is just a lacy foam across the surface of this golden amber brew.

The flavor is powerful, so I'm not sure that I'd want more than one of these at a go. It's a beer to sip, not one to swig on a hot summer day.

missginsu, May 29, 2008

A: Poured from a 750ml bottle into a goblet. It poured a light toffee color with a thin white head that stayed around for a long time. Don't really recall seeing much carbonation.

S: Very nice aroma. It was sweet, toffee perhaps, and smoky.

T: The taste was very good. I tried to drink it on a stand alone basis, but think that it would be best enjoyed with a meal. The toffee and alcohol really came through. You could also taste the smokiness from the oak barrels.

M/D: The beer was very smooth, creamy and strong. Light level of carbonation. Definitely has a lot of characteristics from the oak barrels and defiantly reminds me of a good scotch. Overall, a very good beer, one that I will have again, but I don't see myself drinking more than one at a time.

PhillyStyle, May 27, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +28.6%

Appearence: Innis & Gunn is a medium honey brown in color, with a thin white head that stays a while, leaving a thin lace.

Smell: Very good, sweet, malty and smoky, all at the same time.

Taste: Way above average (in my book), again sweet and malty, and you can definately taste the oaky smokiness of the barrells it was aged in.

Mouth feel: Very smooth, light on the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very east to drink, smooth and clean. All the different flavors blend well.

A little on the expensive side, but all in all this is my favorite beer, out of all the beers I have tried. Highly recommended.

junkman203, May 12, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a nice darker amber color with a short medium bodied white head that fades fast to a slight film on top of the beer. It laces some down the glass but not alot. It has a very smokey aroma overall with hints of nice sweet roasted malts and a nice hoppy bitterness underneath the smokey flavor. It tastes of very nicely mixed roasted malts, and then a really smokey flavor from the oak aging. It reminds me of a good whiskey or scotch in the taste which makes this a very nice sipping beer. The mouthfeel is very warming and smooth. The very strong flavoring makes it a bit harder to drink, but it is nice once it's warmed a bit.

erosier, May 06, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer pours a clear amber body with a small white head.

Nose is hands down one of the most interesting smells from an oak aged beer I've ever had. Very sweet, vinegar, oak, wet mulch or leaves, soft bread, toffee, fire, incense, cheap vanilla, pears, sour apples and an overall classic english crushed malt smell.

Taste is light to medium bodied with an immediate sourness, but not in a bad way. It's almost a funkiness like in a good lambic or something, but in this case it's a mixture of malt, fruit and an the odd oak aging. Almost a natural wood aged flavor. Lots of sweet whiskey malt just hovers in the background, almost lucidly. You constantly taste it, but it's never up front. Not overly bitter, but just enough to give it some balance. Ends with a nice malt character and some lingering touches of sweet whiskey.

What a fascinating oak aged beer. Hands down, the most unique I've ever tasted. It has this funk to it, like a really good cask cider or a natural lambic, but it completely and totally works. I like it.

taez555, May 03, 2008