Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

good

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003)
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Clear glass bottle, brewery putting presentation above preservation of beer - crazy to go through the effort to produce this beer and then risk such an easily avoided problem like being lightstruck. At 55f pours with nice 50% head in pint glass. Immediately some strong oak notes Notice that best before date is 20 months ago...bottle is clear, no sediment, and presumably not bottle-conditioned.

Smell is some hoppy notes with a very strong overtone of wood.

Taste is fairly complex and the overwhelming overtone is wood, with some pleasant hop front end that carries into and dominates the finish. At one point it feels like I had a stick or piece of green wood in my mouth the oak character was so strong, but that passes quickly. further into the bottle some sweetness comes out,

This is very pleasant and I would like to try it as a cask ale if it were available. It is nice to try a british beer that touches wood, there are far too few. In all fairness I think this bottle was past its prime.

dogfooddog, Mar 20, 2006

Pours a very appetizing amber with a soft, tan head. light carbonation.The nose is softly sweet with malt hints and some great oak notes. The taste is nicely malty with nice fruitiness down the middle. A wonderful alcohol & oak mix become prominent late. A great lingering woody quality that is counterbalanced nicely with light sweetness. Medium bodied, moderately carbonated. Semi smooth finish. A nice sipper. The lingering aftertaste sits nicely and allows you sit and enjoy while slowly downing this brew. A quite enjoyed it.

Popsinc, Mar 17, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330 ml clear bottle, at Cardinal, Stavanger. Beautiful golden brown colour. Large and creamy off-white head, long lasting, decent lacing. Unusual aroma and flavour, very woody, Scotch whisky elements, but also notes of toffee, vanilla, cinnamon - and even shrimp and the dark meat of crabs(!). Relatively sweet, but the finish and aftertaste are woody, dry and hoppy. Something out of the ordinary, and I have trouble deciding how well I really like this beer. Definitely worth a try!

Sigmund, Mar 08, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Clear 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Golden honey color with a small white head that leaves a film.

Like another reviewer, when I popped this bottle I swore that it was skunked. That smell went away completely though, and now I smell sweet honey, sweet malt and some nice oak.

The taste has the same characteristics as the smell. Sweet, smooth and with a great amount of oak. The oak lingers in the finish a little. Tasty.

Medium body.

This is a really tasty easy drinking brew. We need more beer in oak. I love it.

johnniemarg, Mar 01, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured my first bottle of this brew into a Hobgoblin glass. Deep, thick-looking honey coloured beer with a very fizzy head that would seem to imply heavy carbonation -- but it isn't!

I was almost turned off this beer by the smell -- somewhat unpleasant, and not what I had expected at all. I actually had an 'I hate clear bottles' moment and thought it was skunked. Taking a little more time, though, I did detect a strong, sweet malty note, with almost no bitterness, as well as some plums, honey, and overcooked vegetables (this was not necessarily as unpleasant as it sounds).

Anyway, once I took a sip, I was pleasantly surprised. Any skunk that I'd detected earlier disappeared, and instead I was treated to very sweet malty flavours, almost cakey, with some sugarcane, roots, and other plants in there. A great, thick mouthfeel makes this beer very satisfying and drinkable. Looking forward to the second bottle!

crwills, Feb 17, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Very light caramel colour. No head, though their are a bit of bubbles. Smells lightly of toffee, caramel, dark soil... Something else as well. A type of candy. I know what the candy is, I just can't think of the damn name. It was a candy my great grandfather had. Unfortunately, the only candy I can think of is humbugs, and I know damn well that is wrong. Taste is quite simple. Caramel, toffee, eathiness/grass, along with that candy that I can't remember the name of. Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel. Would make a decent session ale, despite the ABV content.

slitherySOB, Feb 06, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance: light golden brown, great clarity, narrow layer of spongey off-white foam

Aroma: butterscotch, hint of skunk, bit of oak

Flavor: malty sweet, faint sourness, skunky hops, butterscotch, finishes semidry with a whiskey-malty aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium body, fine carbonation, soft texture

Other comments: Though I'd be hard-pressed at the moment to say exactly why, I definitely like the 2005 Limited Edition more than this standard one. Whether it's because the LE came in a box and was not skunked or if it's because it's a different beer, I don't know. Wasn't impressed with this one, though.

GreenCard, Jan 26, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Clear orange-brown big head and lots of lacing.

Smell: Very different. Smells of whiskey maybe. Rum also comes to mind.

Taste: Bitter and dry. This one has a very concentrated sort of flavour. Alcohol is very pronounced and a smokey whiskey flavours really come through.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but very smooth. Attacks the tongue at first but quickly mellows.

Drinkability: I dunno. It's tasty, no question, but I may have trouble putting away too many of these (could be deja vu thing from my college days and harder liquors...).

allergictomacros, Jan 22, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Looks good on the pour. A dark brown with a slight head with a little bit of lacing.

Now I smelled this when it was cold, and it reminded me of Malt Vinegar, turned my stomach. now as it warmed, which I am assuming is ideal for this brew, it reminded me of a good scotch, with a slight smoothness to the malty aromas. (basing my rating on a slightly warmed sample).

Taste takes some getting used to. VERY malty. Reminiscent of malts used in scotch, but the finish is nice and a slight bitterness entails. After a few sips you get used to it and it holds it's own pretty good.

Mouthfeel is exceptional, unique. Smooth creamyness makes it way with the malted flavors, certainly redeems the overpowering malt flavors contained within.

Overall pretty drinkable, Interesting to say the least. Definitely worth a try.

funkengruven, Jan 16, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

330 ml clear bottle, embossed around the label. Small neck label notes IBC 2004 Supreme Champion, while back label explains the oak aging process, and description of the beer. High expectations from reading all of this - was not disappointed.
A 'honey-hued beer', reminds me of the color of scotch typically aged in in their 'hand selected oak barrels'. It pours clear, leaving a thin cap of foam and minor lacing. There is definatley some oak barrel smell, malt, woody, a bit smokey. There was the slightest whiff of skunk when it was first cracked, but that smell didn't last. Lots of flavors, very complex, hard to pick out one overly strong trait. More of the smells are present in the taste including woodiness, nuts, smoke, and some whiskey flavors that linger. Lots of carbonation, felt light on the tongue. And the higher alcohol warms all the way down. I would keep this around as a sipping beer, to enjoy the complexity slowly. A uniquely brewed product.

BigBry, Jan 07, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Clear bottle, why? Without fresness indication. Pours clear light almond, light tan head, leaving thick creamy lacing, with just a few bubbles rising to the top. Faint nose of peaty malt. Slightly smokey ale, soft notes of vanilla and some soggy orange citrus notes. Decent ale with some asperations of complexity, over 6% well in the background. Worth a try.

Billolick, Dec 09, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

served in a nice clear glass bottle, pretty presentation anyways. This is a very nice looking beer. Frothy head, pretty lacing. Darker orange colouring. A great looking glass of beer.

Smell is initially skunky. Is that the distance travelled + clear glass bottle? Nice dark spicy hoppiness in the nose, smells like a much darker beer. I am quite impressed with the taste of this beer. Hoppy sweetness, a dark stout maltiness. The oak aging in scotch barrels really comes through strongly at times. I love scotch, and this beer marries two of my liquor loves together quite nicely. A bit thinner in the mouth than I prefer, but the 6.6ABV is hidden very well. Very drinkable, someday in Edinburgh I'll be sure to drink this along with all the fine whisky offerings of Scotland. Too bad about the price here in Manitoba though.

trevorwideman, Nov 12, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Bright copper in colour with a medium amount of carbonation. Interesting aromas of vanilla, fruity British yeast, light malt, and marshmallow. The flavors are very sweet on the front end with elements of caramel, light fruit, licorice, and vanilla cream. The more tannic oak wood flavors show up big time on the finish. Heavy mouthfeel to this one as well. I was expecting not to like this beer, and in spite its heavy handed over the top nature , I actually enjoyed it.

fisherman34, Oct 24, 2005
3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle: Poured a light copper color ale with a medium head with average retention. Aroma of malt is pretty discreet with some noticeable English hops. Taste has some recognisable floral malt with a slightly bitter finish. I’m not too sure about the oak aged aspect since I thought it was hard to distinguish and almost seems like a marketing gimmick…

Phyl21ca, Oct 24, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -28.4%

10/05/05- Purchased at the BC Provincial Liquor Store in Invermere, B.C.

Presentation- 11.2oz clear bottle with no dates on the bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Copper colored pour with a 1/2 inch head and minor lace.

Smell- Have a feeling that this may have been a skunked bottle. Not really any whiskey or oak scents here. Smelled like wet cardboard and ashes. Very bad scent.

Taste- Luckily barely any of the skunk was in the flavor. Thin malt flavor with a touch of oak. Could taste a bit of whiskey, but not much to speak of. Had a small portion of that ashes taste though.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, a tad watery and thin. Touch creamy.

Drinkability- I'll pass on this one again unless I find it straight from the cask...then I would give it another shot.

GClarkage, Oct 06, 2005

Cool; this beer smells like an old whiskey barrel. The colour is much like Lagavulin. The taste is malt tempered with the taste of the barrel. Totally original in flavour and more importantly tastes great. I will buy a half dozen for the cellar to see where this beer will go in a year.

canucklehead, Oct 03, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

A: Caramel colour, with only a little head.

S: Sweet caramel, slightly fruity like a sherry.

T: Quite complex. After the oak aging, I expected it to be smoother. Caramel, sweet flavour that seemed a little tainted... though not tart at all.

M: Light-to-moderate body & carbonation.

D: I found it a little course & harsh. I certainly didn't want a second. I think I'll save one to see if it mellows with age.

It's worth a try, but certainly NOT a solid choice.

Derek, Oct 01, 2005

Clear amber topped by a dense, cream coloured head. Good head retention and a bit of lacing. Whiskey aroma with some woodiness and a bit of vanilla. The hops seem a bit strange though. Vanilla and oak flavour throughout, a bit of toasty malt, and grassy hops hang on for a while. Whiskey lingers a bit at the finish along with a butterscotch sweetness. Alcohol is hidden well, but a warming sensation and spiciness builds as you make your way through the bottle. Smooth texture, maybe a bit of diacetyl, with moderately low carbonation. Quite interesting, the oak aging definitely makes for a unique character.

DrJay, Sep 26, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a magnificent copper, with a three-finger white head, that slowly becomes a nice lace.

Oak has a strong present in the smell. Also, vanilla is there

Hmm peculiar taste. The oak is there, but it is balanced with the alcohol. I like it.

Thin mouthfeel, and very smooth. Good carbonation, maybe just a wee bit on the heavy side.

Wow, this is truly an amazing beer. I recommend looking past the price ($3.15 for a 330mL bottle here), and experience the greatness yourself.

jayc333, Sep 24, 2005
2.08/5  rDev -44.8%

Pours a clear orange/copper, big white head, not much lacing. Smell is citrus, strange oakiness, some vanilla bean, skunkiness. Taste is citrus, oaky vanilla, coffee, sweet caramel finish. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied, low carbonation and smooth. There was something about this beer I didn't like at all. Apparently others like it but this is the first beer I've ever dumped down the drain.

Viggo, Sep 15, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

This beer looks like a bottle of whiskey. Same thick clear glass bottle, label design and color. It pours the color of 15 year old Macallan with a generous head that lasts forever. Lacing is moderate. The aroma is of toasted malts, oak, vanilla and a berry fruityness. That taste is malty and quite sweet. Theres a spicey hop background and also a hefty dose of alcohol flavor. Oaky flavors are light, with vanilla and phenolics also evident. The mouthfeel is full with a thick carbonation and an unusual feel, maybe tannins associated with oak?

This is an interesting beer. Its very malty but I was expecting more nuance from a wood aged beer. Still nice tasting.

CAMRAhardliner, Sep 15, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

The pour put a honey colored ale in my glass with a puffy 3 finger cap. Soft carbonation. Aroma of sweet bready malts, caramel vanilla toffee with wisps of smokey whisky smells...sorry I didn’t get the "vanilla-orange" smells the brewer promised. Very full tasting ale...a wonderful whack of sweet toffee caramel malts hit you right off as soon as this abundant malt blend settles on your tongue you get hit with a rush of fruit like a mild cider with a wonderful woody-smokey-whisky like decernment..hops are trimmed way back exposing the luxurious malt character...finish is anticlimactic: wet, sweet, slightly smokey clean and smooth with a bready after taste. Hides the alcohol very well with the huge malt body...it only becomes detectable in the slow "warming" as you drink through a couple of these. A very nice twist on a scottish wee heavy...I’ll be looking to store a few of these away.

pootz, Sep 14, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Handsome copper amber colour with a short head and only some lace. Clear and sharp looking.

Nose is interesting, but odd. Coconut laid over a hint of scotch which gives it some earthiness. Takes a few whiffs to wrap your head around.

Mouthfeel is full and soft, almost oily. Taste is unusual for a beer, but may well appeal to a scotch drinker which I am not. Noticeable vanilla flavour and almost too sweet to enjoy.

I am of mixed views on this beer. It's interesting in it's way and worth a try for that, but I don't think it's something I could see drinking a lot of. Better warm than real cold.

Update: I've had a few more of these an have come to develop more of a taste for the brew as I've wrapped my head around it. It now ranks as an occasional fave and I'm also enjoying the variations of this beer that are available.

TerryW, Sep 14, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

This is not a complex beer like oaked arrogant B, its wood and some whiskey. But its a worthwhile changeup. It looks and smells whisky. Significant sediment at end, yet freshly imported, wich was not a put off. A bit of sourness in mid-sip, soapiness in finish.

Sammy, Sep 08, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

My girlfriend brought me back a couple beers from Britain and Ireland, including two English Pale Ales: this and Speckled Hen. I'm reviewing them together to compare.

Appearance: Both are a beautiful, crystal-clear dark reddish-gold. Minimal head, but good lacing.

Smell: More complex than the Speckled Hen, I&G has the hops, but also has a more pronounced malt character in the nose. There's also some butterscotchy diacetyl.

Taste: The butteriness and maltiness contast well with the floral hops. Well-balanced and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Nice and creamy.

Drinkability: Hey, nice beer. Way to go, Andrea. Kicks Speckled Hen's ass all over the island.

battlekow, Aug 07, 2005