Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis And Gunn Oak Aged BeerInnis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 826-850 | 851-875 | 876-900  | next › last »
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Handsome copper amber colour with a short head and only some lace. Clear and sharp looking.

Nose is interesting, but odd. Coconut laid over a hint of scotch which gives it some earthiness. Takes a few whiffs to wrap your head around.

Mouthfeel is full and soft, almost oily. Taste is unusual for a beer, but may well appeal to a scotch drinker which I am not. Noticeable vanilla flavour and almost too sweet to enjoy.

I am of mixed views on this beer. It's interesting in it's way and worth a try for that, but I don't think it's something I could see drinking a lot of. Better warm than real cold.

Update: I've had a few more of these an have come to develop more of a taste for the brew as I've wrapped my head around it. It now ranks as an occasional fave and I'm also enjoying the variations of this beer that are available.

TerryW, Sep 14, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

This is not a complex beer like oaked arrogant B, its wood and some whiskey. But its a worthwhile changeup. It looks and smells whisky. Significant sediment at end, yet freshly imported, wich was not a put off. A bit of sourness in mid-sip, soapiness in finish.

Sammy, Sep 08, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

My girlfriend brought me back a couple beers from Britain and Ireland, including two English Pale Ales: this and Speckled Hen. I'm reviewing them together to compare.

Appearance: Both are a beautiful, crystal-clear dark reddish-gold. Minimal head, but good lacing.

Smell: More complex than the Speckled Hen, I&G has the hops, but also has a more pronounced malt character in the nose. There's also some butterscotchy diacetyl.

Taste: The butteriness and maltiness contast well with the floral hops. Well-balanced and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Nice and creamy.

Drinkability: Hey, nice beer. Way to go, Andrea. Kicks Speckled Hen's ass all over the island.

battlekow, Aug 07, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

330ml clear bottle poured in a pint glass.

Clear, light brown to caramel amber colour. Looks like that nice bronzed tan so many people are always looking for. Big frothy light beige to off-white head on the pour rises up 1.5 inches before receding to a modest 1/8 inch. Lots of sticky lacing throughout the glass.

When I first popped the cap on this baby, I instantly thought, "Damn clear bottle! This one's skunky!" but after the pour once I actually took a whiff it doesn't smell as skunky, instead there are big woody (presumably oak) tones with strong malts backing it up and hints of a little skunk and hops for balance.

This is beer is quite complex. Almost too complex for me to properly describe, but I'll do my best. Starts off at the swallow with sweet caramel then blends smoothly into malts. There are notes of bitter hops popping in and out at various different spots with each sip. The finish is woody, oaky, with that whisky bite to it and fades into a slight vanilla taste. Aftertaste is long and lingering with a predominant orange zest tanginess to it.

Moderate carbonation, medium bodied and a nice clean silky feeling left in your mouth. Very, very nice.

What else can I say besides "Wow." I picked this up on a whim this afternoon. I didn't even read the neck label stating IBC 2004 Supreme Champion until I went to pop the cap. Talk about a good pick up. This really is a unique beer. Atleast I certainly have never had anything like this. There's just something facinating in the taste. Seems like each time I take a sip the principle flavours may be the same, but the supporting cast appear on stage at differing times. Towards the end of the glass I definitely feel a little warmer. Not the best for a hot summer night, but this is a treat at any time. As the days get colder, I plan on stocking up on some of this.

Noxious26, Jul 22, 2005
3.13/5  rDev -17%

Tasted on 29th June 2005, best by date 25 Feb 06, 330 ml clear embossed bottle with nice label, but why clear? Looked like an alcopop.
Removed cap, strong peaty smell released.
Poured into stemmed beer glass, copper coloured clear with good carbonation and nice head.
Smelled very nice, of smoky peat and straw.
Taste bitter with even more bitter aftertaste, reasonable mouthfeel.
Nice lacing on the glass, just sufficient head remaining throughout. Taste improved a little after halfway, maybe because of warming slightly. Drinkability: sorry to say but I would not fancy another. This beer is well presented, but it is not a beer for me.

JohnfromDublin, Jun 29, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

A pleasure to come across this stuff. Not the limited edition, apparently their regular run, the 2004 IBC Supreme Champ. Classy embossed bottle, albeit clear. Best before date on bottle states Feb of '06.

Pours out a clear caramel hued amber, not much head on the pour, but a thin layer of retention that struggles to cling on. The aroma on this ale is a knock-out, truly impressive. Whiskey is what immediately greets the nose, sour mash bourbon no doubt, accompanied by a rich toffee, wood and peat characteristics, finished with some citrus. Wow. The flavour is just as good. Earthy wood notes with some sour whiskey, dates and currents blending in the middle with some vanilla bean, with a mild dried fruit finish accompanied by lemon, and a lip-smacking vanilla aftertaste. Wow. The mouthfeel is light, smooth and velvety, I had expected a denser texture for the flavour, but this makes for an easier quaffer, in fact deceptively easy to drink for the abv%. Easily a fine session ale, I am incredibly pleased to have stumbled across some of this, and will be stocking up on a lot more in the near future. Will recommend it highly to my friends, and anyone else who'll listen as well. My lips are coated with vanilla bean oil at the moment as I find myself at the bottom of the glass, I am very content.

IronDjinn, May 23, 2005
2.88/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured a clear coppery colour with a very thin head despite an aggressive pour. Perhaps aging takes away some of the head?

The smell is a battle between two strong smells. Vanilla and scotch-whiskey. The vanilla smell is borderline coconut and the scotch smell is very peaty. It's just not something I expect as a beer smell, but at the same time I can't say that it's a bad smell.

Taste is sweet up front with a long drawn out scotch finish. Like drinking scotch on the rocks or neat, the finish to this beer is very un-beer like. From beginning to end there is a vanilla flavour on top of everything. Strong, but not overpowering. Vanilla is also what stands out as the lasting flavour a minute after the last sip. I find it a bit unfortunate that vanilla is the dominant flavour, as i'd say any other one of the lesser flavours dominating would make this beer more pleasing to me personally.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a bit of thickness to it, like a well chilled scotch, and the carbonation is playful, not rough.

I really wanted to like this beer. From the classy presentation(nice looking bottle/label) to the relative newness of the beer(only 15 reviews prior to mine) to the nice ratings I saw so far, everything looked good. In the end though, this beer isn't for me. I like scotch as much as the next guy, but that vanilla really blows the effect for me. Knock off the vanilla and highlight more of the toffee and I'd be loving it.

Certainly worth checking out for any beer lover though, there certainly are people out there that like this, and will like this.

elricorico, May 12, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

A unique clear bottle, unassuming, with a small label showing some oak barrels, and a smaller label showing the signatures of the approver for bottling, and the master brewer. The back label tells the tale of the "77-day" beer. Poured into a regular beer glass, a good 5 cm of bone-white head forms, sitting atop a tangerine, light brown beer. The head is healthy, creamy, and churned slowly, even after sipping for a few minutes. Thick bubbles of lacing cling to the side tenaciously, and after the beer is done, thick crusted lacing drys on the glass. Sweet honey aromas on my initial smell, and yes, a definite dryness of wet oak. I get mouthwatering notes of maple syrup. When the beer warms a little, the woody, tree-bark smells are definitely prominent, adding an incredibly unique nuance to the aroma, somehow smelling dry and sweet at the same time. Other than the oak, delicious but subtle English hops give this a similar smell in some ways to other English Pales, but with a definite syrupy, sugary backing of malt. The light orange notes remind me of some Belgian Pale Ales. Magnificent and complex aromas. The first sensation in the mouth is the very thick body of the beer, rich and mouth-filling, almost oily or velvety on the tongue. Up front, alcohol with honey-malt and the bittering effect of the oak, akin to Scotch, without the 40% alcohol content. In the middle there is more toffee and resinous malt, some nut-flavours, and even light sourness. The finish is by far the best part of this beer: sherry, vinous notes with oak and sweet honey. The combination is masterful, and on the very first sip you can tell this is no ordinary English Pale Ale. Rather than the hops playing the bittering role, it seems the strong oak taste takes that place. I am left with almost no hop presence. I taste a DEFINITE sherry taste in the finish. Sweet and unctuous. The velvet mouthfeel and the delicious sweetness render this extremely drinkable for me personally. This beer is a real treat: contemplative and complex, but perfect for drinking with a good friend some night.

(Thanks to Dave at Willow Park for getting me this before it was even on their shelf.)

Cwrw, May 09, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours a startling copper/gold with a dense creamy head on top that is well-supported by lovely effervescence underneath.

From a foot away I can smell the caramel. Sweet luscious malts are hidden under that pillowy white head... Smooth and soft, with the subtlest of oak nuances, it delivers an easy-drinking ale. Hardly the barest hint of hops at all. I could drink this all night long, if only I had more. It is a beautiful beer.

Garin, May 07, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

YAHOO this was a nice surprise!! The bottle is very classy looking, yet surprisingly the beer is in a clear bottle!! One would think that when they take such care to make such a beautiful product they would want to take better precautions. I will say, however, the fact that it was clear actually made it look really pretty.

Enough about the bottle...the color was clear and copper. There was very little head to the beer but I really didn't care, because just as soon as I could see it, I could smell that wonderful Whisky aroma!! I was not at all let down by the taste either, the whisky taste was quite smooth and this may have been the first time I have had a beer under 7% aged in oak, and I have to say, it was a great thing, because there was no alcohol taste to battle with the lovely whisky aromas and tastes!! The drinkability of this was great all around. The mouthfeel improved as it warmed up.

This was just one bottle we brought back from the UK and I wish we had known how nice it was going to be...looks like I have to go back!!

gueuzegeek, Apr 20, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

Presented in a clear (why?) bottle and no visible freshness date. It pours a light copper with a nice white head that leaves some foam on the glass. Some malt and whiskey notes make through the rather overwhelming smell of run-over-three-days-ago skunk. I've had better bottles of this, but this one is really bad. Why should they put it in clear bottles and let this happen to an otherwise lovely beer? Not impressed. Sweet honey and malt in the taste with some oaky and whiskey hints. Mercifully not much of the skunkiness. A rather tasty beer, and certainly very good when you have a good bottle of the stuff. Nice mouthfeel and drinkable, but why the clear bottles. I shouldn't rant. It is a good beer, just plug your nose.

foamer, Apr 08, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Nice fancy,important looking bottle.
Dark golden/amber coulored ale, nice sized frothy white head.
A quite strong and distinctive aroma,hoppy and backed by strong malt, with very woody tones.
This is a rather strange beer to taste, it is sweer,honeyish mostly with very woody,whisky and sherry like undertones, slight hop bite and aftertaste.
Wonderfully smooth on the palte,impressive.
An unusual beer but very nice I would recommend it.

Reidrover, Mar 04, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

The colour is medium dark copper red; the large compact foam is beige, firm and stable with a small crater.

The smell is generous and complex, I found notes of honey, bitter hops, fruit candy drops, wheat flour, raisins, dried dates and even a touch of tulips.

The carbonation is mild and refreshing with lots of small bubbles.

The taste is full-bodied with a complex cask-matured whiskey feel. There are flavours of wood (cedar, oak and sandal wood), honey and some bitter hops. The taste is very balanced. The quite long aftertaste is somewhat dry and bitter with some smoky whisky-notes.

This is a very nice and a bit different ale of an excellent quality!

bark, Feb 06, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

A very pretty coppery color-the clear glass bottle really enhances the color of this beer. Say what you want about clear glass but this looks classy in the bottle. My wife brought me 2 of these back from Scotland and I tried one before waiting a few weeks for the 2nd to mull it all over.

Big aroma-its so oakey I had to convince myself it wasnt "skunked". Some great vanilla notes. Theres a somewhat slight,peated malt aroma in the backround. I can smell the glass 2 feet away from me.

Oakey flavor. Very malty. Earthy. I dont get a lot of hop bitterness-maybe a touch in the finish but not much more. Good body-quite smooth overall.

I wasnt overly impressed with the first bottle but this is actually quite a good beer. The flavor takes a bit of getting used to,similar to a "rauch" style beer. Very enjoyable.

lackenhauser, Nov 18, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Fresh bottle drunk on a rainy morning in Belfast, for breakfast (thanks Bob). This pours a pretty clear, dark amber colour with a creamy head of off-white. The aromas are of WHISKEY! Whiskey malts, slight subtle hops, caramel, and more. The taste is very creamy and smooth with some sweet caramel notes that ride along the waves of complex, smokey, whiskey flavors. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with a real "cask-like" feel to it. Drinkability is very good, even for a breakfast beer. Shit, this stuff is damn good, thanks again to Belfasts finest BA (only BA!? ;-)

francisweizen, Nov 18, 2004

330ml bottled

Pours with a light amber body, slight creamy body

Smell, aromas of whiskey, fuck me, i've have been at the bushmills distillery, strong hints of oak, strong irish whiskey

Taste, strong and whiffy, winey almost, whiskey hints, malty, full of apples and dried fruit

A nice strong ale, great whiskey oak barrelled ale, great stuff, like drinking whiskey flavoured beer, some beers i've tried the same and have a bad result, this however is amazing and full whiskey flavour, a really unique and special beer

cypressbob, Oct 10, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

A beautiful copper color. Slight beading and a creamy-cream colored sticky head, receading into a pock marked surface reminecent of an english muffin.

Nose is malt whiskey and oak. Very attractive.

Wow! what a flavor. Earthy malt and wet. A lingering aftertaste that i can't quite place but is very present.

Not much hoppynes in smell or taste, but oaky whiskeyness seems to balance it out.

I am not a whiskey fan, but this is a very good beer for something different. A quality beverage.

elmocoso, Jun 24, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

I picked this up in my local off-licence, and not expecting much, proceeded to pour it into a 500ml Leffe glass.

It pours a mid-copper colour with a fantastic off-white head, which leaves little lacing beads down the glass.

Aromas then hit you before you even give it a proper sniff - you are hit by a powerful vanilla and caramel/toffee note, which upon closer inspection is accompanied by oranges, a woody hint and a poweful malt.

Taste is as complex, if not moreso - gingery and vanilla start, followed by citrussy oranges, grapefruits and limes, then a smoky oak flick before finishing with a warming and spicy ginger bitter aftertaste.

Light mouthfeel, and drinks very well indeed.

Considering I was expecting a simple beer to merely satisfy the palate on a warm evening, this came as a fantastic surprise.

Doiv, Jun 03, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Clear bottle which states that it was aged for 30 days udring a 77 day process.

Beautiful malt whiskey color with fine white thin head.
Smells like peat, malt, trainstation bathroom.
The malt whiskey flavor comes out very nicely on the palate. After I got over the aroma the mildness and longevity of the flavor is amazing. Orange peels and chewy malt.
The mouth feel is smooth and bold with fine carbonation.
This is a beer I would buy quite often if it were sold in Japan.

Naerhu, Apr 20, 2004