Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-21-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 353 | Hads: 1,278

Wonderful beer, no nasty aftertaste, just dark enough ale for a stout drinker, lovely aroma, very smooth. Now on my top of the heap ale list. The Seacoast area of New Hampshire is becoming a "beer destination". Many new micro breweries and I actually get a great selection at the supermarket. This bottle was from a Market Basket and they were 3 for $12. I am visiting Edinburgh in two weeks and I can't wait to have this on tap.

It is light, with a nice malt base and doesn’t allow the hops to overwhelm the pallet. With a low ABV of 6.8% it is highly drinkable, while the rum from the oak chips adds a sweetness instead of the sting of pure alcohol that too many barrel aged beers hit you with.

4.97/5  rDev +33.6%

A.. Reddish brown,lite molasses with a nice bubble

S.. calming vanilla rum with a splash of Dr. Pepper

T.. kinda malty,rummy of course and then the oak sneaks up

M.. mellow, good for supper instead of sweet tea

O.. I drink this beer every weekend..I can't get enough.
And the second is better than first,then third is better
Then second.and so on...

4.9/5  rDev +31.7%

Appearance- beautiful dark inviting!

Smell- Molassas, brown sugar, raisin, grain bread, and RUM!

Taste- A sweet beer with tonnes of follow up to the nose! Lots of molasses and run. Truely more complex than my meager palate can translate. Grain bread dark fruits and the tail has a sweet rum that leaves you craving more.

Mouth- a bit boozey with the smallest sting. Lightness on the young and a hint of lingering satisfying film.

Overall- 9.5 out of 10! I'll be looking for this to bring home! A beer very well thought out!

4.9/5  rDev +31.7%

Come on Guys... This stuff is Amazing!!!! Smooth drinkable. Not anything like a typical Scotch Ale. This is sooo... Drinkable it sucks its $12.99 a 4 Pack.Even there regular brew one is awesome!!!! But all Beers are NOT creteated Equal!! One of my all time favorites. Another Must Try!!!

4.83/5  rDev +29.8%

My favorite beer so I am biased... I'm sorry... I've tried a few other wee heavys but this one takes the cake with no competition in sight.... I'm not saying theres not a better wee heavy/beer out there but rum cask is exceptional... Other wee heavy's I've had, had a bit more umph to it. Rum cask is smooth.. which is amazing being it's aged in casks. To me the cask beers usually are the ones with the umph. I don't have the greatest sense of smell but the smell was good... great carbonation which made a two finger head that stayed very long with sticky lacing. Very complex mouthier but again very smooth and layered perfectly. I really can't taste too much alcohol burn, barely taste that it's there but it is in the nose. It also may be more subtle because I like to drink it a tad colder than the recommended wee heavy temp.... still tatstes great at its temp. Love the Rum beers and this is one of the best...

4.81/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Ruby/mahogany colour with a spicy aroma. Notes of molasses, oak, raisin, orange and plums. Blends finest Scottish brewing with a taste of the Caribbean. One of my favourite beers but must be drunk with caution. 3 or 4 in a night will leave your head spinning.

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Delicious mix of malty sweetness with a smooth finish. Making it available year round as part of their core brands and switching all their bottles from clear to brown was a great idea an should help preserve the taste people are looking for in a rum oak aged beer!

4.66/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This beer looks heavy, almost like a stout, but isn't. It smells like it tastes, namely, a smooth dark ale with a butterscotch finish. One almost expects a harsh bite of rum in the throat but it glides down leaving a buttery remembrance. Perfectly blended beer and rum flavors. It's almost closer to a Christmas, fireside drink than a typical beer.

4.65/5  rDev +25%

Pours with little head, a neat amber color.

The smell hits you immediately. Let me state my sense of smells is dulled by years of allergies, but this hit me instantly, in a pleasant way.

The taste and mouthfeel was impressive as well, very very smooth, complex enough to be fully enjoyable.

Clear bottles make me paranoid so I drank this before I suspected it might become light-struck. Don't buy from a display, I bought online.

This was a really nice beer, perfect with breads/pastas.

4.65/5  rDev +25%

This Beer is incredible, the taste is out of this world! If you like a heavier beer than normal with a great after taste then i would recommend to try this beer! Its one of a kind. It also has a very nice smell. The glass for the bottle is transparent. It tastes good on its own or even with pretzels or other snacks.

4.62/5  rDev +24.2%

A- I always like the packaging of I&G beers...very classy and strong labeling. It pours a rich brown/molasses color and doesn't show signs of heavy carbonation. My only complaint is that it didn't have really any head, but rather formed a thin ring around the glass. Lacing is moderate.

S- I have to agree with the corn smell, however it's not prominent. The first thing I think of when I smelt this was toast. I can also pick up on the wood and molasses/brown sugar overtones that could be associated with some dark rums. It's sweet smelling but not like I've read about...it's a much softer aroma than I was expecting.

T- I'm quite impressed with the flavors! There is some wood character detectable, with some delicate rum flavor in the backround...probably what I&G was going for. Hop presence is there but quite mild, however the finish is quite pleasant with rich burnt brown sugar and toffee in there to round it out. Tasty!

M- Good medium-full body that has a consistancy of a light table syrup. A little more carbonation than I thought, but it's those fine bubbles that add to the experience. Coats the palate well and lets you know that you are enjoying something of substance!

D- I gave this a high grade because for a beer that's 7.4%, the alcohol is very well hidden! I can't believe that it's this strong to tell you the truth. I will definitely get some more of this while it's available and I'm sure I could get into trouble enjoying this brew during an evening! I actually like this better than I&Gs' standard Oak Aged Beer. Well done!

4.58/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into Innis and Gunn glass

Appearance - A beautiful brown/red color. Formed a tan billowing head upon pouring which persisted quite some time.

Smell - A sweet aroma followed by some of the more traditional run aromas

Taste - A caramel taste meets you at the front as well as the end. A sweet vanilla and fruit persist in the middle. At the end the rum flavor comes on and lasts till the very end leaving the rest in the dust. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel - A nice smooth flavor. Not as much alcohol feel as would be expected.

Overall - One great beer. A great blend of sweetness with the rum flavor. One I would definitely recommend

4.58/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Mahogany in color with a fingers worth of head. Smell is sweet sugar with a mixture of vanilla, oak, and rum. Taste is initially sweet, dominated by rum with oak more towards the finish. Mouthful is thin with medium carbonation. Overall a great beer for rum lovers.

4.54/5  rDev +22%

Appears dark, brown toned, no head to talk about.
Smells of oak, and alcohol, and sweet malts. No hops as far as i can tell, and no skunkiness.
Tastes very oaky and malty, a nice, soft and sweet beer, with a mild carbonation, and a silky smooth moutfeel.
A great beer, really great beer.

4.52/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Not sure why this beer gets so much hate on this site. For the price, it is hard to find a more complex yet well balanced beer that has been barrel aged. Malty, soft notes of vanilla and rum blended together very well make this beer one of my favorites and also a must try.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite brewers and this beer in just another example of why. Great aroma greets you of Puerto Rican rum and a chocolaty malt at uncapping. A slow pour into the Innis and Gunn tulip leaves a near imperceptible tan colored head above deep brown brew.

Now to the good part, the tasting. Smooth, mellow, tastes of a well aged Rum over a low bitter Scottish porter brown beer mix. This goes down well even when over chilled, but best at near Lucas Electric Refrigerator temperature of 50 degrees. This is definitely a sipping beer versus a chug candidate and it remains pleasurable to the end.

Final words, if you can acquire this brew it is worth your effort. Even domestic lager drinkers will enjoy this change from the ordinary. Also unlike the canned data on this brew it is actually 7.4% abv.

4.44/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I got this beer for Christmas and it has slowly become my favorite beer. Very tasty and smooth with a bit of oakiness. It reminds me of a really good whisky. When you smell it, it'll make your mouth water. It's really hard to find in stores but it can be ordered online. Shipping is expensive but it's worth it!

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The bottle is clear, BUT this beer is not skunky in the least and it can also be reused for homebrew, so Cheers! Homebrew points!

I poured this beer at about 55 degrees into a pint glass and it was a nice mohagany/amber colour and very clear with a thin head of tiny creamy tan bubbles that lasts as a thick ring around the glass throughout the drink leaving an archway pattern of lacing on the glass.

The aroma to first hit me out of the bottle was rum and as my nose got closer the caramel malts came through nice and strong along with molasses. I get some banana yeasties in there along with some figs, some light vanilla and a hint of white bread? Not sure on that one. Notes of alcohol.

The flavour is incredible! It's got a lot going on just as stated above. There's not much in the way of hops but mostly this beer starts off caramel sweet and as it rolls across your tongue flavours of molasses, vanilla and fig come to light half way. Nearing the end is when a banana wallup coats your tongue followed by minutest of a dry finish that can be attributed to a mix of hops and a lightly noticeable skunk taste. Last but not least is a hint of black pepper as it warms your throat and stomach from that alcohol. 7.4% ABV I believe.

The mouthfeel is smooth and not not overly sweet with a body that is lighter that I would expect but that is nice as it is easier to drink. The carbonation is mild and thankfully so because this beer would bite if it were moderate. I think its pretty balanced for being so sweet at first but that is neutralized in the finish. Some alcohol warming is noticeable.

Overall, I am going to consider this beer world class. I think that it would be. I have had only a few, but I could see this as something for a brewer to aspire to or learn from. 4 out of 5 would be on the low side, I may have to give this more.

4.41/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought at the ESPN bar in Orlando, FL during the USA vs Germany World Cup match.

A: Dark caramel color with a miniscule head.

S: Smell-wise, the first notes that came to mind were: caramel and a strong smell of Rum.

T: Strong notes of rum, caramel, and malt.

M: Smooth with a woody aftertaste.

O: A very nice, aged Scotch Ale.

4.39/5  rDev +18%

Rich brown pour into a snifter with a half finger head, fizzy on the peremeter with more froth in the center. The head dissipates in under a minute leaving the deep brown brew to stand virutally alone. The aroma is eclectic; the wood of the aging barrels is up front as is the sweetness of the rum. Notes of spice (presumably from the rum barrels) elevate as the beer warms while the more traditional beer aromas of yeast and malt are secondary here. It has a very "island" character to it. The first sip is a bit of a let down given the heavy aromas coming from my glass. The body is good not thin or watery while offering no syrupy slick either. The carbonation is low as suspected with the quickly dissipating head. There is a background of woodsiness,not overpowering at all, but I am missing a lot of the spice and sugar on my pallet (I have just gotten over a cold a couple of days ago, but I don't think I'm tasting at a deficit). The smoothness of the brew in both its carbonation and even body combined with its mellow flavors allow for a highly drinkable beer for me, whose alcohol content is right on at 7.4%. I don't get a boozy character in the 7% range which is a pleasant departure from many of the high octane liquor barrel conditioned brews.

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 11.2 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams English nonick.

a: Clear copper with a finger thick offwhite head which receded to even surface foam and
briefly dense lacing.

s: Rum and caramel malt. The most divine-smelling stuff ever.

t; Same as the nose, a very tasty combination, with some bite following and leaving some bitterness at the back sides of the tongue.

m; Medium. Good body and a lot of carbonation tingle.

o; A favorite taste treat. Stiff competition from Founders Backwoods Bastard and one or two other cask aged brews, but still an affordable year-round imbiber's confection.

UPDATE 9/2/15: Having one now, and now that I have so much more experience under my belt, must reduce my ratings accordingly. It's still a favorite, especially at the under $3 per bottle pricepoint. a: 4.25 to 3.75; s: 5 to 4.5; m: 4 to 3.75.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my tulip.

A – Poured out a nice caramel brown. A finger of off white head that receded quickly and left a touch of lacing.

S – Pick up the rum immediately followed by a candy like sweetness. Vanilla and caramel.

T – Not over powering on the rum taste which is nice. Its present and subtle and tasty. Vanilla, brown sugar and caramel all lend to a mild sweetness. Nice oaky flavor imparted in the taste. Leaves a nice warm taste in the mouth and all the way down.

M – Smooth, smooth and smooth. Good carbonation. Slightly drying at the end.

O – Damn fine brew here. Has great flavors which all compliment one another. Adding to my list to pick up more. Great on a cold night. Winner all the way.

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Clear brown deep ruby color with a creamy off-white head that settles and lasts with good lacing. A hansom looking beer.

The aroma has rum notes and oak sourness. Sweet smell, like a rum and cola with brown sugar as well. Some cherry notes.

Moderate with fizzy carbonation helps keep the brew from becoming to slick or sticky. You can taste the rum with a sweet but not sickly aftertaste. The rum smell is stronger than the taste. The malt body works well. Like a rum and coke but not as sweet and smoother.

Alcohol is hidden in this beer but does come out after a while. Very drinkable and pleasant.

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from a large bottle (1 pt, 9.4 oz) into an Ommegang tulip pint glass. A georgeous dark brown/red and clear with a thin white head on top.

Smells of rum, molasses, brown bread.

Tastes immediately of light molasses and vanilla. Subtle rum flavor behind it with a barely noticeable alcohol heat. Very very malt forward, but not too sweet. Just enough hops to give it a nice crisp finish.

Fairly light bodied for a beer of such character. It tastes a lot fuller than it feels--which is good, since I can keep drinking it without filling up. Fairly low carbonation keeps it smooth and easy drinking.

Overall--I really don't like this style much, but this beer is amazingly well balanced and complex. I'd definitely grab some whenever I can afford it.

Some minor dings: clear bottle (though no hint of skunkiness here) and an odd suggestion on the bottle to serve at 4-6 celcius (that's way too cold and hides the complexities of this beer).

Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn