Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-21-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,247 | Reviews: 369

Simply put this is a excellent beer!

The most curious beer I've ever had and my favorite

Finished in oak rum barrels, this beer imparts the sweet and spicy characters of the barrels. Simply delicious!

Wonderful beer, no nasty aftertaste, just dark enough ale for a stout drinker, lovely aroma, very smooth. Now on my top of the heap ale list. The Seacoast area of New Hampshire is becoming a "beer destination". Many new micro breweries and I actually get a great selection at the supermarket. This bottle was from a Market Basket and they were 3 for $12. I am visiting Edinburgh in two weeks and I can't wait to have this on tap.

It is light, with a nice malt base and doesn’t allow the hops to overwhelm the pallet. With a low ABV of 6.8% it is highly drinkable, while the rum from the oak chips adds a sweetness instead of the sting of pure alcohol that too many barrel aged beers hit you with.

4.97/5  rDev +30.1%

A.. Reddish brown,lite molasses with a nice bubble

S.. calming vanilla rum with a splash of Dr. Pepper

T.. kinda malty,rummy of course and then the oak sneaks up

M.. mellow, good for supper instead of sweet tea

O.. I drink this beer every weekend..I can't get enough.
And the second is better than first,then third is better
Then second.and so on...

4.9/5  rDev +28.3%

Appearance- beautiful dark inviting!

Smell- Molassas, brown sugar, raisin, grain bread, and RUM!

Taste- A sweet beer with tonnes of follow up to the nose! Lots of molasses and run. Truely more complex than my meager palate can translate. Grain bread dark fruits and the tail has a sweet rum that leaves you craving more.

Mouth- a bit boozey with the smallest sting. Lightness on the young and a hint of lingering satisfying film.

Overall- 9.5 out of 10! I'll be looking for this to bring home! A beer very well thought out!

4.9/5  rDev +28.3%

Come on Guys... This stuff is Amazing!!!! Smooth drinkable. Not anything like a typical Scotch Ale. This is sooo... Drinkable it sucks its $12.99 a 4 Pack.Even there regular brew one is awesome!!!! But all Beers are NOT creteated Equal!! One of my all time favorites. Another Must Try!!!

4.83/5  rDev +26.4%

My favorite beer so I am biased... I'm sorry... I've tried a few other wee heavys but this one takes the cake with no competition in sight.... I'm not saying theres not a better wee heavy/beer out there but rum cask is exceptional... Other wee heavy's I've had, had a bit more umph to it. Rum cask is smooth.. which is amazing being it's aged in casks. To me the cask beers usually are the ones with the umph. I don't have the greatest sense of smell but the smell was good... great carbonation which made a two finger head that stayed very long with sticky lacing. Very complex mouthier but again very smooth and layered perfectly. I really can't taste too much alcohol burn, barely taste that it's there but it is in the nose. It also may be more subtle because I like to drink it a tad colder than the recommended wee heavy temp.... still tatstes great at its temp. Love the Rum beers and this is one of the best...

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

Truly wonderful, a definite beer for a special occasion. The rum finish is outstanding, definitely has the spice of a Demerara rum like OVD.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love the burbon flavor and feel

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Delicious mix of malty sweetness with a smooth finish. Making it available year round as part of their core brands and switching all their bottles from clear to brown was a great idea an should help preserve the taste people are looking for in a rum oak aged beer!

4.7/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

An absolute perfect tasting beer with hints of smoke and sweet rum. Highly recommend this gem. The best of the their lineup.

4.66/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This beer looks heavy, almost like a stout, but isn't. It smells like it tastes, namely, a smooth dark ale with a butterscotch finish. One almost expects a harsh bite of rum in the throat but it glides down leaving a buttery remembrance. Perfectly blended beer and rum flavors. It's almost closer to a Christmas, fireside drink than a typical beer.

4.65/5  rDev +21.7%

Pours with little head, a neat amber color.

The smell hits you immediately. Let me state my sense of smells is dulled by years of allergies, but this hit me instantly, in a pleasant way.

The taste and mouthfeel was impressive as well, very very smooth, complex enough to be fully enjoyable.

Clear bottles make me paranoid so I drank this before I suspected it might become light-struck. Don't buy from a display, I bought online.

This was a really nice beer, perfect with breads/pastas.

4.65/5  rDev +21.7%

This Beer is incredible, the taste is out of this world! If you like a heavier beer than normal with a great after taste then i would recommend to try this beer! Its one of a kind. It also has a very nice smell. The glass for the bottle is transparent. It tastes good on its own or even with pretzels or other snacks.

4.62/5  rDev +20.9%

A- I always like the packaging of I&G beers...very classy and strong labeling. It pours a rich brown/molasses color and doesn't show signs of heavy carbonation. My only complaint is that it didn't have really any head, but rather formed a thin ring around the glass. Lacing is moderate.

S- I have to agree with the corn smell, however it's not prominent. The first thing I think of when I smelt this was toast. I can also pick up on the wood and molasses/brown sugar overtones that could be associated with some dark rums. It's sweet smelling but not like I've read about...it's a much softer aroma than I was expecting.

T- I'm quite impressed with the flavors! There is some wood character detectable, with some delicate rum flavor in the backround...probably what I&G was going for. Hop presence is there but quite mild, however the finish is quite pleasant with rich burnt brown sugar and toffee in there to round it out. Tasty!

M- Good medium-full body that has a consistancy of a light table syrup. A little more carbonation than I thought, but it's those fine bubbles that add to the experience. Coats the palate well and lets you know that you are enjoying something of substance!

D- I gave this a high grade because for a beer that's 7.4%, the alcohol is very well hidden! I can't believe that it's this strong to tell you the truth. I will definitely get some more of this while it's available and I'm sure I could get into trouble enjoying this brew during an evening! I actually like this better than I&Gs' standard Oak Aged Beer. Well done!

4.59/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very nice beer with an amazing hint of rum. Strong abv but very subtle beautiful taste. Nice balance of flavours

4.58/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into Innis and Gunn glass

Appearance - A beautiful brown/red color. Formed a tan billowing head upon pouring which persisted quite some time.

Smell - A sweet aroma followed by some of the more traditional run aromas

Taste - A caramel taste meets you at the front as well as the end. A sweet vanilla and fruit persist in the middle. At the end the rum flavor comes on and lasts till the very end leaving the rest in the dust. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel - A nice smooth flavor. Not as much alcohol feel as would be expected.

Overall - One great beer. A great blend of sweetness with the rum flavor. One I would definitely recommend

4.58/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Mahogany in color with a fingers worth of head. Smell is sweet sugar with a mixture of vanilla, oak, and rum. Taste is initially sweet, dominated by rum with oak more towards the finish. Mouthful is thin with medium carbonation. Overall a great beer for rum lovers.

4.56/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from the 11.2 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams English nonick.

a: Clear copper with a finger thick offwhite head which receded to even surface foam and
briefly dense lacing.

s: Rum and caramel malt. The most divine-smelling stuff ever.

t; Same as the nose, a very tasty combination, with some bite following and leaving some bitterness at the back sides of the tongue.

m; Medium. Good body and a lot of carbonation tingle.

o; A favorite taste treat. Stiff competition from Founders Backwoods Bastard and one or two other cask aged brews, but still an affordable year-round imbiber's confection.

4.54/5  rDev +18.8%

Appears dark, brown toned, no head to talk about.
Smells of oak, and alcohol, and sweet malts. No hops as far as i can tell, and no skunkiness.
Tastes very oaky and malty, a nice, soft and sweet beer, with a mild carbonation, and a silky smooth moutfeel.
A great beer, really great beer.

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Not sure why this beer gets so much hate on this site. For the price, it is hard to find a more complex yet well balanced beer that has been barrel aged. Malty, soft notes of vanilla and rum blended together very well make this beer one of my favorites and also a must try.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite brewers and this beer in just another example of why. Great aroma greets you of Puerto Rican rum and a chocolaty malt at uncapping. A slow pour into the Innis and Gunn tulip leaves a near imperceptible tan colored head above deep brown brew.

Now to the good part, the tasting. Smooth, mellow, tastes of a well aged Rum over a low bitter Scottish porter brown beer mix. This goes down well even when over chilled, but best at near Lucas Electric Refrigerator temperature of 50 degrees. This is definitely a sipping beer versus a chug candidate and it remains pleasurable to the end.

Final words, if you can acquire this brew it is worth your effort. Even domestic lager drinkers will enjoy this change from the ordinary. Also unlike the canned data on this brew it is actually 7.4% abv.

4.44/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I got this beer for Christmas and it has slowly become my favorite beer. Very tasty and smooth with a bit of oakiness. It reminds me of a really good whisky. When you smell it, it'll make your mouth water. It's really hard to find in stores but it can be ordered online. Shipping is expensive but it's worth it!

Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn