Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer - Innis & Gunn

Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged BeerInnis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-21-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -67.3%

1.3/5  rDev -66%

WTF?!?!

I've tried to be as objective in my individual scores so the accumulative score might appear higher than what it should. WTFX2?

I picked one up because I had one of their glasses early on in my beer exploation days. I figured, hey... they gave me a free glass - I'll give their beer a shot. Although, even their bottle never captivated me.

Not to be redundant but WTF? It doesn't even taste like a beer. Perhaps an acquired taste?? Sweet, sparkling, cider? WTF? It's just wrong. Sorry Innis. All that Oak Aging gone to waste. Not for me, although I know some must appreciate you.

1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

1.75/5  rDev -54.2%

Didnt enjoy this at all

1.75/5  rDev -54.2%

2.05/5  rDev -46.3%

Whoa, where to start... It looked OK, with a deep amber brownish hue, but it was all downhill from there. Musky, woodsy, eye-watering smell. Overly sweet taste combined with the chewy and slick mouthfeel are what you'd expect if motor oil were blended with honey and maple syrup. Couldn't even finish the glass; stay away.

2.1/5  rDev -45%

750ml bottle into a 7venth Sun snifter.

A - Pours a nice, clear reddish-auburn. Decent finger or so of head, but not much retention and only wisps of lacing on the glass. Inauspicious start.

S - Meh. Smells like a bland scotch ale. Maybe just the slightest hint of vanilla and spice, sweet malt, and sherry.

T - More meh. Just an average scotch brown ale, with little to no sign of the rum barrel that is featured so prominently on the label multiple times. I'd call it plain vanilla, except some vanilla would liven the taste of this beer up quite a bit. It's sweet in the wrong places, bitter in the wrong places. Disappointing to say the least.

M - Very thin and almost cloying in its sweetness. Not at all what I'd expect from a beer in this category.

O - I honestly do not understand the above-average scores from others for this beer. I've already had a superlative rum barrel-aged scotch ale this month -- CCB BA Big Sound. This beer bears no resemblance to that one. It barely tastes like a wee heavy, and I have no idea why they bother putting the "rum barrel" information on the label. Not worth the time, the money, or the calories. Down the drain it goes...

2.13/5  rDev -44.2%

Pours a surprisingly dark rich amber, topped by more head than I got from the last two Innis & Gunn's I tried and with tons more lacing.

The aroma is much more subdued than the regular Oak Aged Beer I just had, almost more like a Sauvignon Blanc mixed with Coke.

The taste is sweet bread, sour plums, with raisins and a sweet sugary rum finish and again, it has almost more of the air of a sweet white wine mixed with a rum and Coke about it than it does a beer. Odd.

Thin mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation.

You know what? Forget it. I just find, of the three I have had, I&G beers are too sweet and the oak finishing brings nothing to the party for me.

Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn