2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Innis & Gunn India Pale Ale - Innis & Gunn

Innis & Gunn India Pale AleInnis & Gunn India Pale Ale

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: MeisterBurger on 10-30-2009)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 37 | Reviews: 29 | Show All Ratings:
ritzkiss

2.63/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz 2009 edition IPA, part of the gift pack. Pours a light golden with hints of caramel - macro lager meets vienna lager color. Small head builds up and slowly fizzes out.

Nose smells like a cross between a pils and oktoberfest with a dash of musty grass smell. Certainly no juiciness as the bottle promises.

Heavy on the oak, light on juicy hops - ok, no juicy hops. Saaz and other 'Euro' hops provide the IPA part (I guess), not much bitterness. Lots of vanilla-oak throughout, odd contrast. Light caramel, hints of lemon, grass, slightly metallic. Some off vegetal notes in there as well, slight booze in the finish. Blech.

This has to be the worst I&G I've had - I guess IPAs just aren't their thing - they should stick to the more malt forward offerings.

11-19-2009 21:25:45 | More by ritzkiss
PoisonedMushroom

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into the branded glassware that came with this and two other I & G beers.

A: A nice, clear, golden colour greeted me as I poured this. The head, on the other hand, barely bothered to make an appearance. It was a about a finger long and disappeared into a tiny film in a very short time. There was lacing throughout, however.

S: According to Innis and Gunn, this had a "Citrus fruit with orange to the fore, balanced by a mellow toffee note." Horse feathers. Surprisingly, it instead had a faint smell of hops at first, although that quickly subsided into a rather unpleasant skunk smell. A little bit of oak came through once the beer warmed, and faint hops were detectable off and on but it was still far too skunky. I was disappointed, especially as this one was presumably in a dark box for its life.

T: Hmmm. Apparently this one was "bursting with fruity hops and juicy malt" according to Innis and Gunn but I don't think so. Instead, some caramel, toffee, and oak were present. Some bitterness in the hops was certainly detectable in the finish, but it was not too overwhelming. I also detected a flavour akin to a stick of butter sliding down my throat in the finish, but only with the first few sips and then somewhere in the middle when I neglected the brew for a minute or two. It was different, for sure, and not bad to be truthful.

M: I thought this to be surprisingly carbonated, and sharper and lighter than it needed to be, lending an alcohol bite I did not entirely appreciate. It was not horrible, though.

D: Finishing the bottle proved to be no problem. However, this is not a sessionable beer, but I don't really think I & G pretends it is. I thought this to be a sipper, perhaps more than it should be, though.

Overall, my least favourite of the three Innis and Gunn beers, and I wouldn't really seek another.

11-05-2009 07:19:38 | More by PoisonedMushroom
mintjellie

2.63/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured into it's branded glass, this pale orange ale is topped by a finger of moderately-well retained, tightly formed head. The mass of foam leaves behind ringlets of lace on the sides of my glass. Faint aromas of caramel, citrus peel, and vanilla are almost elusive. Slightly boozy. A little bit of skunk. As with Innis & Gunn's other products, a vanilla flavour is present from time spent ageing in oak barrels. Also present are sweet caramel, orange; and a mild, but firm, herbaceous bitterness. It's a little bit buttery; whether from the aforementioned oak barrels, from diacetyl, or both. Bordering on harsh, the alcohol lends a spicy zip to the overall flavour. Lighter in body with unobtrusive carbonation, this could use a bit more body; it feels a little slight as is. This came as part of an Innis & Gunn gift set. While I don't regret trying (and finishing) this beer, I found it a little bit rough around the edges. I don't think I would buy this again if I came across it offered on it's own, especially when Innis & Gunn's other offerings are much better.

11-03-2009 06:14:00 | More by mintjellie
MeisterBurger

2.88/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a crystal clear golden color with a slight head. Laces nicely.

The aroma is weak and all I really get is a bit of fruitiness, dry oak, and a hint of skunk.

The taste is almost vinous, with a good amount of toffee and butterscotch, with a strong oakiness throughout and absolutely nothing to indicate this is an India Pale Ale. The ABV is high, sure. But there's no discernible hops present and it's the farthest things from bitter. The malt is also nondescript. The oak is the star of the show and without it I think I'd just be drinking a very generic pale ale. There's some vanilla like oak rounding things out and adding a bit of depth.

The label says it is "bursting with fruity hop character" which seems like an overstatement. There's some caramel, the slightest hint of bitterness and some restrained hop flavor in there, but it's not bursting with much of anything.

Light and highly carbonated, smooth.

Overall I'm just not digging on I&G's beers.

10-30-2009 03:26:35 | More by MeisterBurger