Innis & Gunn Winter Beer 2010 - Innis & Gunn

good

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: StephenRich on 10-05-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Shakerman

11-22-2012 15:11:05 | More by Shakerman
donkeyrunner

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Deep auburn with ruby highlights. Beautiful color. Thin head doesn't put up much of a foamy fuss.

Aroma is oak and black cherry.

The bottle says I should be tasting "orange zest, vanilla and oak." I get watered down black cherry cola. A mellow Scottish ale, I'm not sure how many shillings but not a whole lot. Buttery aftertaste.

Probably my least favorite from the I&G holiday pack. I do like their bottles though.

10-30-2011 19:07:42 | More by donkeyrunner
LukeONeill

02-27-2012 04:43:16 | More by LukeONeill
IronDjinn

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

From a 330 ml clear bottle, came as part of a gift pack along with the regular I&G, Rum Cask and a stemware glass.

Pours out a deep clear amber hue, tall creamy off-white head pocketed with large bubbles that settles to a thin creamy cap.

Aroma carries notes of toffee, wood and alcohol from the barrels, alcoholic warmth can be felt in the nostrils as well.

Dry toffee malt up front in the flavour that tends to sweeten up towards the middle, while herbal and spicy hops round out the finish. Almost a cloying sweetness tends to linger on in the aftertaste.

Medium-light mouthfeel, light carbonation with some creamy smooth moments, but fairly light all around.

A bit bold but not balanced, sweetness dominates while the hops seem more out of place than anything else. It's okay but far from the best offering from Innis and Gunn, not something I'm inclined to go back and have more of.

11-29-2010 05:12:53 | More by IronDjinn
kwjd

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

Purchased as part of an Innis & Gunn gift pack from the Control Board in Ontario. Poured into a branded glass that came with the pack. The beer pours a copper-amber colour with thin white head that dissipates pretty quickly without much lacing. Smells of butterscotch, vanilla and caramel - very malty. Incredibly sweet taste, brown sugar comes through a lot. Nice carbonation level. Too sweet to drink more than one of these, even the one I have I'm a bit tired of before finishing.

11-08-2010 03:15:41 | More by kwjd
PEIBeerGuy

Prince Edward Island (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

Innis & Gunn's original beer was one of my first favourite beers when I started to branch off from the bland world of the big beer companies. So, I sometimes feel that I have to make sure I am not biased when I talk about their stuff. This winter beer, never available before, is the third beer of my Innis & Gunn holiday pack. I have read some pretty good reviews of this beer, so my hopes are pretty high.

Well, to start, it has a bit more head than other I&G beers, at least at first. It's darker than their original beer, with more of a deep red quality to it... kind of a deep honey / amber colour. There's no traces of head left on the glass as you drink.

It smells like an I&G product... vanilla, sweet butterscotch/caramel, slight hint of wood... a bit of pastry (like the cup of a raisin tart)?

The taste has just a bit of a metallic quality to it. I really don't taste much difference between this and a regular Innis & Gunn. The stronger alcohol content of this comes out only slightly as the glass wears on. A bit of fruit in the flavour comes out as it warms up as well (cranberry?).

The feel is a bit disappointing. It's watery. I was expecting something more full and robust.

Overall, I was underwhelmed, if that's a word (actually, I know it's not, 'cause Chris Murphy looked it up... it's one of those skills he learned in his school). It's a good beer, but... not significantly different enough from their original beer to make it special. I like the fact that there are common I&G threads in all their beers, but, at the same time... those common threads are making starting, to me, make them feel "common".

12-19-2010 23:29:24 | More by PEIBeerGuy
beerthulhu

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Burgundy coloring when backlighted with a low to moderate rise of effervesce slowly building up to a scarce head that offered no lace. Meh.

S: Soft oaky and vanilla scents didn’t do a lot to entice or get noticed. Scotchy caramelized grains.

T: The flavor was warm scotchy carmalized grains, oaky barrel notes are clearly dominant. The fuggles and golding hops provide only brief intermittent glimpses of their fruity nature. Compliments of warm oak, pine-scotch and cask notes are evident. Cinnamon sticks, and spicy holiday orange notes add zest and some holiday spirit.

M: good and thick, chewy and full, with a soft carbonation factor. Dry toasty oak fade.

O: Overall as a winter beer the oaky barrel and alcohol take over the subtle holiday spirit of the beer. Moderate drinkability.

12-12-2011 23:10:41 | More by beerthulhu
Kromes

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Poured into an Innis & Gunn glass. A clear dark brown color with no apparent head.

S: A slight toasted malt, but mostly vanilla and oak.

T: Initial flavor is a sweet malt, but then the extreme vanilla and oak flavors kick in. Finishes sweet and buttery.

M: Light bodied and minimal carbonation.

O: It's aight. Nothing to write home about. Don't like the buttery taste in the finish. Hides the alcohol very well though.

09-20-2011 21:29:01 | More by Kromes

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

02-22-2012 02:28:32 | More by SHCC
BrownNut

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

A - 4 - A similar clear, pretty, reddish brown to other Innis & Gunn variants. Decent looking head.

S - 3.5 - When I first poured it, I got a whiff of banana right out of the gate. But that faded away with the head. I was left with a light steely caramelly malty note. The metal component is unwelcome.

T - 3.5 - The light caramelly steely malty aroma carries over into the taste and a hint of the banana reemerges as part of a vague compound fruit and spice note. The spice, whatever it is, is slightly reminiscent of Christmasy spices. Nice malty caramel on the exhale/aftertaste.

M - 3.5 - Light-medium body

O - 3.5 - While this beer has substance, it feels like a building block of that substance is missing on the back end, causing it to finish a bit weaker and waterier than I'd like. There's tasty stuff before that though. It's not as good as their original, which is instantly likeable, with no discernible flaw other than maybe low complexity. This one is like that one but minus some things.

I think I drank this too cold, maybe just five minutes out of the fridge. I suspect its flavor would benefit from being drunk just cool instead. No idea why they call this a porter. It's very similar to their others, which aren't close to being porters.

11-25-2012 23:30:04 | More by BrownNut
Mit

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

Got this in a gift pack with a branded glass.

a-deep amber colour with a significant head.

s-sweet, sweet smell, spicy smokiness from the cask.

t-very sweet, heavy malts, vanilla flavours followed by a smokey warmth.

m-heavy and thick like one would expect.

d-sipper...I couldn't drink this all night...it would get overpowering. But I don't think it's meant to.

11-20-2010 04:42:28 | More by Mit
tbeckett

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Pours a dark copper with a half finger of tan head and no visible carbonation. Bright.

S - Lot's of toffee and caramel sweetness with some buttery notes.

T - Toffee and caramel sweetness come through again with some slight oak notes. Nice. Mild, but nice.

M - Full bodied with some carbonation that seems appropriately mild.

D - Sweetness might hold this back. It's not cloying but I wish other flavours could have comet to the forefront. Otherwise a decent tipple.

12-28-2010 17:39:07 | More by tbeckett
VelvetExtract

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

A-Pours a very dark ruby/crimson color. Head is almost nothing. Just a ring of foam around the liquid like all the other Innis & Gunn brews I have had.

S-Soft and smooth. Smells barrel aged of course. Light citrus. Sweetness as well.

T-Lightly woody. Sweet with caramel and other similar flavors. Smooth flavor with vanilla. Faint citrus.

M-Still a lighter feel. Feel ls so smooth and rich. Silky and velvety. Ample carbonation.

O/D-I like this better than the Rum aged beer but not as much as the Oak Aged beer. This one is pretty good. Doesn't have any really memorable flavors. I can tell these guys don't plan on deviating on their system of brewing.

09-30-2011 04:58:23 | More by VelvetExtract
Sammy

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle from LCBO giftpack. Pours coppery coloured body with some creamy head. Woody and rum aroma. Middling mouthfeel, smooth and caramel, and also above average carbonation. Sweetish taste, drinkable but not too drinkable because of the abundant sweetness.

12-31-2010 00:36:37 | More by Sammy
evlu1441

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

This is my third Innis and Gunn experience.

It pours a clear ruby-amber colour with a thin bubbly film of head. It's very effervescent with lots of bubbles rising to the top.

The aroma is subdued, but pleasant with lots of maple and slight oaky notes coming through.

Lots of toffee flavours start coming through right at the start. Sweet malt comes through with minimal bitterness. Towards the end, some alcohol bite comes through.

Overall, this is probably my favourite Innis and Gunn. It's okay for a Winter beer, but it's very available, so I'll probably get it again.

09-02-2011 00:26:28 | More by evlu1441
joemcgrath27

2011 vintage, part of the I&G gift pack
A - clear deep dark cedar red, thumb of head dissipated to a thin covering with some lacing
S - strong spice notes of nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove, and bread pudding
T - spices are still prominent but less so than the nose, a dense cake taste much like xmas cake, some light leafiness, light peat earthy finish
M - creamy and relatively light, mild spice tingle and warmth, booze is undetectable
O - its definitely a winter ale with its sweet spicy warmth while keeping that trademark I&G peaty scottish base, the 3 beer & glass gift pack is well worth the investment

07-20-2012 04:25:01 | More by joemcgrath27
DamageCase76

01-11-2014 05:21:07 | More by DamageCase76
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Seems you can only get this one in a giftpack which is a shame as it is a pretty nice winter warmer with the barrel aged I&G flavour. The higher alcohol and the bigger maltier body works well against the strong vanilla and whiskey notes. I would like to have more bottles to put down in the cellar as it should meld the flavours together even better

02-03-2011 05:20:15 | More by canucklehead
biboergosum

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

330ml bottle, part of the current gift pack, dumped lovingly into the accompanying branded flute glass.

This beer pours a clear, dark golden amber hue, with two beefy fingers of thinly foamy beige head, which leaves an amoeba-esque burp of painted lace on a selective side of the glass as it readily settles. It smells of edgy cask essences - woody astringency, caramel, vanilla, and treacle, to go with some otherwise-sourced brown sugar, earthy hops, and mild booze nose-twitchers. The taste is primarily caramel malt, warm and subtly coaxing, a light breadiness added to the mix, and some very faint barrel character, supplanted mostly by the herbal, earthy hops. The carbonation is really just a footnote, the body a solid medium weight, and nicely, agreeably smooth. It finishes still sweet from the caramelized, mirror-world malt, and lingering echoes of the barrel tryst that once was.

The least 'woody', house-feel of any I&G offering that I've yet experienced. And this is a surprisingly good thing, as the malt has a bit more room to shine, and it does just that. Warming to a tee, without any overt booziness. Winning in my book...

10-28-2011 01:55:12 | More by biboergosum
chicagoabbot

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz into a tulip...so much wood in this...and sweetness. Well, it is a Scottish ale, so I guess it is supposed to be sweet. Lots of depth both in nose and tongue here, but it's hard to say that it's awesome. These guys do a solid beer if this is your style, but it's not really mine. I'd like to try wood aged beer not aged in casks previously used for brown liquors. Recommend trying this once to taste it. It might be your style. Had as part of a gift pack.

11-13-2011 20:18:15 | More by chicagoabbot
marty21

Manitoba (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev +6%

A: Pours a deep clear amber with a two finger foamy white head. Settles to a nice cap. Leaves nice lacing all the way down.

S: A very sweet malt with hints of vanilla and caramel. I also detect some dark fruits.

T: It's very sweet. Initially I taste vanilla but then more caramel and it seems to blend into a butterscotch taste. I also get hints of fruit and a very faint taste of spices. Slight warming from the alcohol but I hardly taste it. It has a very sweet taste that lingers long after you swallow.

M: It's medium bodied with lighter carbonation. Feels creamy and goes down quite easily.

D: So far this is probably my favorite beer from Innis & Gunn. I wish I could get this one in singles and not just from the gift pack. It's quite drinkable. I could see the sweetness becoming too much after a few but overall it's quite good.

12-19-2010 19:09:55 | More by marty21
LazyL

British Columbia (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Gift pack bottle that poured a nice dark orange/amber with light creamy foam. Great vanilla, bourbon and toffee notes. The same notes come through on the taste. Sweet beer that is more of a one glass in the evening or even after dinner with a desert like creme brule. The aroma is intense and very appealing. Very nice beer with layers of flavour that opened up as it warmed in the glass. I quite enjoyed it, but as stated above, could only drink one.

02-08-2011 06:21:42 | More by LazyL
StephenRich

Ontario (Canada)

I opened the Winter Beer at cellar temperature around 12C (54F) and poured it into an Innis & Gunn stemmed beer glass. The pour was smooth and seamless building a rich amber red beer and a rumbling of khaki foam. A pillowy, and largely airy head was build about 2 inches over the beer with carbonation quickly snapping away the bubbles in an excited and abrupt manner. The beer below was richly colored with a maroon and brown center glowing out to copper, reddish golds, and cinnamon browns. It was deep, but not as dark at the Rum Cask, and not nearly as dark as the Triple Matured.

The nose was large and fruity, much more so than any Innis & Gunn. The classic Innis scents of caramel and vanilla come through easily bringing rich butterscotch, and the warming sensation of browned butter. Rich dark fruits are apparent with black berries and strawberries being muddled together and the nose of a banana a few days past ripe.

Here was the moment of truth - already this beer brought big rich Innis flavors with a heartier punch. I didn't get the spice on the nose that I wanted, but I got loads of aromatic character. I lifted the glass to my lips and poured it down. A creamy and silky wave of caramel and toffee glides over my palate with a very familiar sensation. And old friend approaching me with arms open wide - but then, rather than a hug, I get a kiss on the lips!

The Winter Beer instantly moves from brown sugar and caramel into fruit flavors of berries and jam. Big malt sweetness bring a wide range of tastes here and a powerful wave of toffee and vanilla; more so that usual. Buttery sweet malts again prove prominent in the flavor is it was on the nose - its follows mashed mellow fruits and hints of touches of spice. I would love more spice, and it may come out as this beer matures in the bottle (from experience, I have found taht the bigger Innis & Gunns are best after 4 to 6 months in the bottle to rest).

The finish is sweet and gently refreshing, but overall is very satisfying. This is a sweet, warming, and malty beer that still shows the classic oak and char flavors of the bourbon wood that made me fall in love with the Innis in the first place. A larger malt sensation, rounder fruit flavors, and a new buttery warmth leaves me wanting more of this Winter Beer, and I am excited to see how it tastes in January - I expect it will warm me quite well on a snowy winter's eve.

Pics at: http://wp.me/pNKWo-1h1

10-05-2010 00:06:45 | More by StephenRich
SebD

Ontario (Canada)

Appearance: : It has a nice deep amber/copper colour to it. It has a nice white head that dies down moderatly and lacing is present.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of vanilla, caramel and some sweet malts.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a very nice vanilla and caramel taste to it with nice malts. I also taste slight oak and fruity notes.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a very nice sweetness accompanied with it.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavours and aromas. It's an overall good tasting Ale.

02-15-2011 03:44:31 | More by SebD