Innis & Gunn Spiced Rum Finish - Innis & Gunn

Beer added by: ChrisCage on 10-14-2011

Oak matured for 57 days
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.17/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a cleans orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, mellow spice and a mellow malt. In the taste, spicy cinnamon, faint sugary, and a note of alcohol. A spice like bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry spice and a small sugary alcohol in the aftertaste. Spicy and a bit boozy, and a bit thin under that.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

A sweetish though not cloying ale. A moderate richness in the finish from an aged anejo black rum cask. Light in the spice department its mostly the vanilla. Drinkable, significant oak mid sip. Beige coloured with a little lasting head, this may get better with a year of age.Toffee and rich malting in the nose.

Appearance - Pours a clear copper brown with a finger width of foamy head.

Smell - Spiced rum, vanilla, toffee, hint of dark fruits.

Taste - Spiced rum along with oak and vanilla notes from the barrels. A bit of toffee in there as well.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - Another tasty offering from Innis & Gunn. Good flavours from the spiced rum. I would definitely recommend this one to those who also enjoy the rum cask edition.

3.82/5  rDev +2.1%

Part of the latest LCBO release, listed at 7.4% ABV.

A - Pours a nice caramel colour with a ruby hue, thumb of head with some retention and no real lacing.

S - Spiced rum is evident off the top, quite musty, hints of wooden oak and a nice caramel finish.

T - This one loads a solid punch of oak infused flavours alongside the sweet, yet slightly boozy, caramel flavours provided by the rum casks. A toasted bread flavour comes through alongside faint hints of mossy hops and a peppery toffee flavour lingers.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and finishes with a touch of dryness.

O - Another tasty brew courtesy of the gang at I&G. Worth a try and definitely brings along with it the characteristics of the sugary rum casks. Glad I picked up a bottle.

3.79/5  rDev +1.3%

330 mL bottle-in-a-carton from the LCBO; listed at 7.4%. Many folks have one specific liquor that they refuse to drink, usually because of a decision made the morning after a number of very bad decisions involving the liquor in question. Yeah, my liquor is spiced rum. I haven't had any in years now, but I think I trust I&G enough to come up with something respectable, even to my tainted palate.

Pours a clear, lovely amber-brown colour, topped with nearly two fingers of frothy, off-white head. It dies down over the next few minutes, leaving behind a thin, foamy cap on the surface, with minimal lacing. The aroma is very similar to that of their flagship oak aged beer - sweet and malty, with lots of butterscotch, toffee, vanilla and oak, but with a subtle touch of spice underneath this base.

The flavour is dominated by much of the same toffee, oak and vanilla notes common to all of this brewery's offerings, with some nutty undertones. The spices creep forward in the finish, which offers just the right amount of heat from the alcohol. Not as rum-like as one might hope; rather the spice seems to modify the base oaked-whisky I&G flavour just enough to allow this beer to give off only a vaguely rummy vibe. Medium-bodied, with similarly moderate carbonation levels. A little buttery, with a slickness left behind on the palate. Enjoyable and warming; but not the kind of thing I'd be interested in having more than one bottle of per night.

Final Grade: 3.79, a B+. Innis & Gunn's Spiced Rum Finish is a respectable offering, but not something I'm likely to seek out in the future. I'd take their regular oak aged ale over this 9 times out of 10, and that isn't even really taking the price difference into account.

It's not bad... its existence just seems pointless - the spiced rum character, although present in a half-hearted sense, refuses to rise above a supporting role - and this is coming from someone who is probably overly sensitive to that flavour. A serviceable beer, but not one of the better choices in the I&G lineup - something that might be worth one try for the tick, but not many more. Big fans of this brewery should consider this one worth a spin, but most others might as well stick with I&G's core lineup, because the differences are fairly minimal. Not really worth the extra coin.

3.62/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure why theres no entry for "Spice Rum Aged" I&G but whatever.

Clear amber in color with an off shite head that settles into a small lacing.

Sweet and malty aroms with hints of toffee, toasted nuts and brown sugar.

Deep malt flavor with toasted oak, buttery diactyl and subtle nutty flavor. Well balanced and abv isnt really noticible.

Good brew, but fails to seperate itself from the other aged beers they make.

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

300 ml, "Spice Rum Aged" 7.4% (noting because it differs from BA's notes)

Pours a honey brown color, off-white film of a head.

Smells of maple and brown sugar with some dry barley malt.

Mild rum flavor with some oak and cinnamon spice, brown sugar and toffee. Slight honey sweetness in the end.

Medium body with tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

A good flavored medium bodied ale with an interesting profile and a nice bouquet. My second from this brewery and I like it just as much as the first, which is to say pretty well. Not a gulper of a beer, but a little more than a sipper.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Aged over rum-infused oak, this beer has a colour that looks somewhat like dark rum and somewhat like oak. Fancy that. Its shimmering, clear, toasty tone is undeniably handsome in spite of the fact that it has little head over top to cover its surface (let alone the glass). Like liquid like box and bottle it's sold in, this is a classy looking offering all the way.

As much as I've admittedly tired of Innis & Gunn's increasingly predictable offerings, I've never been able to shake my fondness for their trademark bouquet. It's as if before aging the beer in oak barrels, they cut it with California Chardonnay and a few drops each of single malt scotch and Kentucky bourbon. The aroma is chalk full of butter and toasted wood with warm, ripe fruit and just an inkling of spice.

Moderately smoky mineral notes, brief but zippy spices, toasted oak and vanilla bean continue the (watered down) impressions of chardonnay, scotch and bourbon onto the palate. Curiously absent is much of a rum taste. With the beer's sweetness easily attributable to the prevalence of nutty, toffee-rich malts, I struggle to find anything convincingly reminiscent of rum aside, perhaps, from a small, wavering dose of spices.

While I fail to pickup on much rum flavour, I am also failing to find much justification in purchasing this over the flagship Innis & Gunn or any number of other, better valued offerings on the shelf. While it is a pleasantly mellow ale with a considerably distinct character, I'm beginning to find all this brewery's brands nearly indistinguishable. I'm not discouraging buying it, but don't waste time seeking it out.

Spiced Rum Finish is not to be confused with its cousin, Rum Cask. That offering honestly doesn't stand out in my memory but if I am to trust my own notes I enjoyed it significantly more than this one. I feel, however, like all Innis & Gunn's ideas are increasingly just marketing ploys; they don't taste very distinct from one another and few are truthfully all that worthwhile in terms of repeated purchase.

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked this up in Totowa since they didn't have a lot of this in stock and the other Innis and Gunn beers that I've enjoyed before were nothing like anything I'd ever had before. Sure enough, this had the alcoholic and spicy aspects of rum with a mouthfeel and accompanying notes that were enough of a reminder that this was indeed a beer. While not a quick sipper, I did enjoy this and hard a hard time pinpointing this down.

The aroma wasn't strong to this and the lacing wasn't much of anywhere to be seen, but I enjoyed the clarity and the copper hue of this beer as I poured it out. Not much of a head either and the carbonation was quite light. The mouthfeel was slick, a bit oily, and smooth as this went right down after being savored. Lots of oak, vanilla, and bourbon flavors here with a slightly woody undertone. A bit of hazelnut too and this almost felt like a Cordial as I was drinking it - along the lines of 43 or Irish Mist. Not a lot of smokiness here but the warming sensation was nice and the spiciness was along the lines of hazelnut - woody without any cinnamon or pepper to overwhelm the palate.

Yes, this was strong but the alcohol couldn't be detected via taste and it was nice to have a beer that was able to feel boozy without tasting it. I love how these guys push the boundaries of what a beer can be and when the weather cools off even more, I know I'll be reaching for an Innis and Gunn to help keep me warm. It's just as enjoyable as any harder forms of liquor.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

7.4% ABV, marked "Spiced Rum Aged" on the label.

Innis & Gunn Spiced Rum Aged pours out a clear red-orange color with a small head. The aroma is sweet and malty, with strong vanilla notes, and a bit of spicing. This is a tasty and fairly complex beer, with the vanilla and oak coming through first, with some nice spice flavors and caramel/toffee malts coming in on the back. The mouthfeel is smooth, yet full. Overall, this is a solid oak aged beer. It's very drinkable while presenting a solid amount of complexity.

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Crystal clear hazelnut brown pour, with a finger and a half off white head. Lacing is minimal.

Massive amounts of vanilla, brown sugar and some sweet spices rum. A touch of oak from the chips. Lightly roasted malts and a touch of strawberry.

Spiced rum, vanilla, light roasted malt, butterscotch and some caramel. Brown sugar and a little bit of dark fruits.

Light to medium body, moderate carbonation.

3.99/5  rDev +6.7%

I picked up a bottle of Innis & Gunn's Spiced Rum Finish a couple weeks ago for $2.69 at The Lager Mill. I know there's no such thing as Spiced Rum barrels so I'm interested to see how they did at replicating the flavor of one my favorite liquors, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I assume it's fairly fresh since it was recently released. Poured from a clear 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty much the same as all their other beers I have tried, it's pretty simple but it does look a little classy. It poured a fairly clear amber color that took on more of a brighter amber and copper color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that left a little bit of lacing. This is a decent looking beer..

S- The aroma starts off with some sweet malts that impart some caramel, molasses, toffee and some pretty heavy butterscotch aromas that went nicely with some spice aromas that are similar to the spices I pick up in spiced rum, it seems like the allspice sticks out the most. Towards the end I get a slight woody aroma and a slight fruit aroma that is similar to orange rinds. I really like the aroma of this beer it's fairly complex with some nice sweet spices that give it a spiced rum like aroma.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with some sweet molasses and a pretty big butterscotch flavor that works nicely with a medium amount of oak and some spicy flavors with the allspice still sticking out the most. Towards the end I get a little bit of vanilla followed by a light orange rind flavor with a lighter amount of bitterness and a fairly sweet and butterscotch aftertaste. This beer tasted good, I liked the butterscotch flavor but I felt like the oak and spice could stick out a little more.

M- Pretty smooth, crisp, a little dry on the finish, on the lighter side of being medium bodied, with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was pretty average, it felt a little watery and then with the carbonation being a little to prickly.

Overall I thought was a good beer, I wouldn't call it an English Strong Ale, but it's a good example of the type of beers this brewery makes, a malt English Ale with specific liquor barrel flavors. This beer had really good drinkability, I could for sure drink another one since it was much smoother then I thought it would be and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, pretty damn drinkable for this brewery. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma it was really nice and complex with some aromas that were similar to spice rum and buttered rum. What I liked least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was just a little too thin and the prickly carbonation was unnecessary. I would buy this beer again, it's reasonably priced and tasted good, I don't think I would by it a lot, but it would be nice to have every once in a while and I recommend this beer to just about anyone. All in all I liked this beer, I would say I like it slightly more then the regular rum aged beer, but the Irish Whiskey one is still my favorite from this brewery, this was a good and solid beer, keep up the good work Innis & Gunn.

3.18/5  rDev -15%

A - shiny coppery color with a half finger of light tan head, heavy swift small carbonation keeps the head alive for a few extra minutes

S - a great liquor sweetness, knowing its source helps place it, not sure if I would be able to if I didn't know already. The oak is far more obvious, that rich thick vanilla woodsiness that I have come to love in oak aged brews

T - The oak is the biggest element in this version, the thick sweetness of liquor is present and the illusion of the spiced version of rum is there but I can't tell if its the power of suggestion or if I can really taste it.

M&D&O - thinner than expected, sweet and malty without being overpowering but the body leaves something to be desired. Soooo close...

4.09/5  rDev +9.4%

appearance: clear amber. Respectable off white head.
smell: Butterscotch and more! Surprisingly hefty and quite good nose. Vanilla, oak, toffee and well...spiced rum. Gourmet butterscotch.
taste: Not quite up to the nose but a nice version.
overall: Looking back, I may have been overly enthusiastic bout my first Innis. A nice treat but not as maybe not as great as I thought a couple years ago. Have to revisit. This is quite good.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

11.2oz bottle into an Innis and Gunn tulip.

Pours a clear ruby/copper with a half finger white head that quickly fades into a ring around the side of the glass. Nothing in the way of lacing.

Aroma has lots of butterscotch along with wood and toffee. A little bit of orange citrus is also present in the background.

The flavor really has quite a bit going on. There is overwhelming butterscotch up front but the fades rather quickly yielding numerous other flavors. Wood is there along with vanilla and a bit of a citric tartness. Orange is what comes to mind along with some spice. You can definitely tell this was aged on spice rum chips.

Overall, a decent beer that is pretty much par for the course when it comes to Innis & Gunn. It might not blow you away but it is very solid. I would recommend picking this up if you were to come across it.

4.26/5  rDev +13.9%

From the 11.2 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on September 13, 2012.

It pours an attractive and clean looking medium amber with reddish or coppery hues but there is no head to speak of.

The aroma is of butterscotch, rum barrels, jerky spice, and raw sugar.

The body tends to be better than medium and almost bold but with a smooth and creamy texture.

The taste starts out like butterscotch but then an assertive bitterness takes over to linger briefly on the palate. Overall, a pretty nice beer.

3.57/5  rDev -4.5%

Part of the winter gift pack that I couldn't resist
A - poured into the flute glass that came with the gift pack, lightly hazy bronze, thumb of head retained at a thin covering
S - mix of peat, all spice, toasty grain, and light molasses
T - the caramel and spices of the rum is present but fairly subtle, some peat, light mineral and leafy flavours, with a grainy finish
M - a little on the thin watery side, light spicy and dry finish
O - it has the expected notes of the spiced rum but not as pronounced as I expected, worth a try as with most I&G offerings

3.82/5  rDev +2.1%

I like beer and I like rum: hope this 57 days of barrel maturing suits me. Clear 330ml bottle, best before Nov 2012: poured into a thistle shaped 'Gordon Finest Gold' glass in May 2012.

Looks a picture in the glass: lovely deep amber body almost teak in colour, on top (at first) a well formed head of off-white bubbles. Sadly they faded to a wisp and collar far to swiftly for me. If the head had stayed the score would be a lot better.

Toffee more than rum in the nose, vanilla more than oak or wood: certainly different.

The taste was also toffee molasses to me, caramel next and then rum hints.

The aftertaste does have rum type esters in the mix and the beer gets more 'rummy' in all aspects as it warms in the glass. Not sure where the alcohol goes (can't seem to find it) because this isn't a heavy tasting brew, more a well balanced 'semi-quirky' flavoured beer that deserves respect.

The beer grew on me as the tasting progressed.

2.45/5  rDev -34.5%

Poured into my Innis and Gunn tulip. Little to no head - normal for a cask ale. Nice amber\auburn color.

Little bit floral, vanilla, spices - cloves, nutmeg. Candy, with some fruit. Baked banana bread.

Flowery Tastes, not as much oak as the usual Innis and Gunn, but still some vanilla flavors from the wood. Relatively bitter. I got more out of the nose the from the taste, let's see how it warms up - so far it's kind of disappointing... Nope, pretty much stays the same throughout, slight rum and oak tastes followed by a sour, bitter and alcohol ending.

I enjoy this brewery quite a lot and this is the second "Rum" themed beer they have produced that falls flat. They should stick to whisky barrels.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Bottle: Poured a deep clear light amber color ale with a medium size white foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma consists of cereal with some light notes of rum. Taste is also a mix between some cereal with light sweet notes and some light rum notes. Body is about average with some good carbonation. This one works out better then the previous barrel-aged beer they have done.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Appearance: Poured with a finger of head that did a good job of sustaining but did not lace at all. The body, true to it's name looks like a carbonated spiced rum with a bit more of a reddish hue.

Smell: The spice is really coming out on this one as sweet sugar mixed with cloves, cinnamon and of course spiced rum with a vanilla touch. Also detecting some tropical fruit in the background but it's too hard to pickup, which is the only flaw here. Complex, but not enough bang.

Taste: I can't honestly come up with anything bad to say. It starts with a subtle sweet malt with notes of toffee and vanilla and then shifts to a sugarcane and fruit taste. Notes of banana pineapple with a touch of raspberry and citrus hops the accent this one very well and it ends just as advertised, with a woodsy spiced rum finish that I'd expect from Appleton Estate rum.

Mouthfeel: Wonderfully complex and transistions well. Nothing feels like it's fighting anything else. The carbonation could be a bit better but that brief spiced aftertaste stays around just right and when it departs you are left with fruity malt. I could see it cloying after more then one though.

Drinkability: Normally something this complex is something you want to savour. I simply can't, it's that good. It's might not be the most refreshing beer, but it goes down easy and it's a bouquet of flavour.

Final Thoughts: Innis and Gunn, you have redeemed yourself after that awful Highland Cask. It's the right mix of Scottish brewing and Caribbean flavour that you would normally think couldn't go hand in hand. I'm glad to finally see one of your one off beers finally eclipse the standard Innis & Gunn without a single doubt. You owe it to yourself to see if you can track this one down, and I hope they offer it again next year.

3.42/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Pours clear deep golden with a lovely compact white head, whipped-cream-like. After the dissipation; only decent lacings.

S: Sweet and spicy - reminds me of Captain Morgan. Woody and fruity. Some vanilla from oak. Balanced malts.

T: Sweetness, vanilla and spices. Wood and malt. Fruity. Not very complex.

M: Aftertaste lingers with sweetness. Body is creamy medium while carbonation is light.

O: Once again; they overdid the oak. It overpowers almost everything else. This might be the best beer ever brewed, BUT we'll never know since the oak/vanilla kills almost everything else...

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

A - one finger white head that quickly withdrew to a fine follar of bubbles - amber red hued body - semi clear

S - pale malt with floral hops, rum, and oak

T - Follows the nose with some cinnamon or nutmeg, pleasant but not as bold as I had hoped

M - medium bodied with decent carbonation, mildly bitter, relatively smooth with a spicy tingle

O - decent offering from Innis

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I think this is the correct beer. Pours a dark amber with at first a huge three finger head, but that quickly disipates to nothing. Smells of heavy malts, rum, molasses and biscuits. Tastes, well, similar to how it smells, with a slightly stronger rum flavour and some oak characteristics. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Medium carbonation. Another good, but not great, beer.

3.82/5  rDev +2.1%

Good amber colour with very little head. Warm rum and oak notes, light spice, creamy malts.

Light bitterness, rum and booze, woody notes. Suggestions of caramel and spice. Very similar to their regular rum cask, but with a bit of spice.

Smooth mouthfeel, a bit too light on the carbonation.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast