Innis And Gunn Original - Innis & Gunn

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: slitherySOB on 12-24-2011

Reviews by thehyperduck:
3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

500 mL can from the LCBO; best before May 2014. I've always been a little fond of this particular brew, but this is my first time seeing it available in a canned format, and man is it nice to have an option besides those goofy clear glass bottles. Served slightly chilled.

Pours a beautiful orange-amber in hue, completely clear and topped with one finger of dense, creamy, off-white head that dissipates quickly over the next few minutes. Only a thin, filmy cap remains at the surface, along with a narrow collar around the rim and a few strands of lacing. The aroma is a pleasant blend of toffee and oak, with hints of vanilla and whisky. Straightforward enough, but one thing I'll add is that there's no trace of the skunk I normally find in the clear bottles.

I tried my first I&G Original years ago, and I still feel it's one of the more approachable barrel-aged offerings on the market (not to mention one of the most ubiquitous). There's nothing particularly interesting or intense about it, but it's so well-balanced and smooth-tasting. Toffee and butterscotch are the first features I can pick out, followed soon after by a mellower honey sweetness. This fades into the barreling aspects of the flavour - vanilla, oak, and that lovely, light whisky character that keeps bringing me back to this brew. A little fruity on the finish, with lingering sweetness - this really could use a dash of hop bitterness on the back end to counter the predominantly sweet nature of the profile. Medium-bodied, with mild carbonation levels that result in an exceptionally smooth quaff. Drinkability is fairly low - I've been buying this stuff for a long time now, but one serving a day is plenty for me.

Final Grade: 3.94, a solid B+. Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer won't blow your mind, but if you're in the mood for an affordable, no-nonsense barrel-aged brew, this is the old standby that I have returned to again and again. This canned version is only a slight improvement over the clear bottles we've been stuck with previously, due to the lack of skunking. I can understand why some people aren't so big on this beer - with all the sweet notes and relative lack of hop balance - but I still have a soft spot for this stuff, and most people I offer it to seem fairly satisfied with it. In any event, it's well worth a try.

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

3.58/5  rDev -4%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #66 (July 2012):

LOOK: Bright brassy hue, tall order of foam

SMELL: Bready, buttery, toffee, leafy, mineral, wood, herbal, overripe fruit, warming alcoholic esters

TASTE: Creamy, smooth, buttery, malty, toffee, chicory, dried hay, toasted bread crust, balancing bitterness, bite of oak, vanilla, fallen apples; warm, drying finish

Original is right—on one side, it’s a straight-up malt bomb that is balanced by some hopping. On the other side is its strength and oak aging, which ends up being quite complex. A great pick if you are looking for something outside of the norm.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.38/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

I love the appearance it just looks like a great beer! The smell is not to my liking and smells to me like a cheaper beer of which this wasn't that inexpensive. Almost smells like PBR. The feel/ finish of the beer is my favorite part. It ends with a beautiful honey taste and leaves the tongue feeling like it was just covered in a thin layer of honey. This made this beer very appealing to me. It may not sound appealing and I would agree but it actually was a good part of this beer. taste whys I honestly cannot tell if I like this beer. It is a difficult decision. It's a bit of a heavier beer so definitely not a session beer. Again, the taste is so hard to tell, the first pat of the sip isn't the best but then it gets sweeter and turns to honey. Totally unique and different from any other beer I've had. I do like. Would I buy it again? Maybe, hard to say. maybe would get it again on a cold night where I just want to sit and rest.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

A = Dark amber/peach in color, similar to a fresh pressing of apple cider. The foamy head dissipates too quickly for me.
S = Lovely! Butter toffee, sugary, malty. Subtle and not overpowering.
T = Rather complex. Sweet, malty, light breads, light oakiness, and smoky at the finish.
M = Smooth and the light carbonation adds a refreshing element. Leaves a slight malty/toffee taste on the palate.
O = Delicious and unique. The 6.6% alcohol is perfect. Not an everyday beer, but one I will seek out again. As for food, it would pair with rich cheeses or even a spicy barbeque, and would accompany flavorful fatty foods well.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%