Innis And Gunn Original - Innis & Gunn

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: slitherySOB on 12-24-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Innis And Gunn Original Alström Bros
Ratings: 676 | Reviews: 129

I dream about this beer! Seriously, it is an absolutely amazing beverage. The color is spot on amber orange. The smell is caramel and vanilla and malt and scotch. It tastes like it smells but the after taste lingers so nicely, I enjoy the sweetness that it comes with as I am a fan of dessert in general. It is potent....you don't notice the alcohol content until it is too late...

Very smooth beer with a nice oaky flavor.

Beer of the beers, oooboy

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The flavor of vanilla and toffee makes this one of my favorite beer.

4.74/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

I was takin back when I saw this. I was at a trade show and the only female rep that was their was the innis & gunn rep. So obviously I went over and when I started trying her product I was dumb founded to day the least. I tried the original the porter the rum aged and the Canadian chereywood limited edition and their were all amazing. And since than I make sure to keep them in my fridge at all times it's hard to get sometimes cause the distributor doesn't always have it in stock but I say when your at your local liquor store and you see anything with the innis & Gunn name on it buy it you will not be disappointed at all

4.7/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - beautiful golden colour, light head
S - sweet, slightly oaky smell
T - fruity, sweet and wonderful taste. A great beer with a complex flavour.
M - smooth
O - a great beer worthy of several more.

When I can find this beer, it is a must drink. Recently on a Belgian beer tour, no one had heard of this beer and it's such a shame because it so wonderful.

4.67/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite beers.

Poured from a bomber.

Smell is outstanding with a strong smell of alcohol almost like a bourbon

Mouthfeel. Is smoooth all day long. I love a smooth beer with little carbonation and this beer hits it right where I like it

I prefer the original over Sind of the other Innis Gunn offerings, but I am determined to try then all

I highly recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys a smooth beer with an alcohol smell to it.

4.63/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Haven't had in a long time but as good as I remembered. Love the golden amber color in the bottle and in the glass. The smell was very scotch. I did get the vanilla and butterscotch aromas. The taste was even better. More of the same plus some honey.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

This is an exceptional beer.

I first came across this at a Wetherspoons, at the tender age of 19. At the time, I was a cretinous larger drinker; you know, the usual suspects, Carling, Carlsberg, Kronenbourg, et cetera.

Eight years on and I can still remember the amazement as I took my first sip of Innis & Gunn Original. Truly unique, complex, and incredibly well rounded, liquid toffee…

Smell: Great. Malt and whisky.

Taste: Toffee is the dominant flavour here, with a hint of vanilla.

Mouth feel: Smooth, forgiving.

Drinkability: Boundless. Very pleasant aftertaste.

4.48/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: 500 mL

A- Deep Honey colour with a legendary 3 1/2 lumpy white head that doesn't seem to want to die. Thick rings of lacing appear the glass.

S- Caramel and vanilla up front with a good dose of whiskey.

T- Identical to the aroma. A good taste of whiskey (without the burn of course).

M- Medium Body and Moderate Carbonation. Slick and palate cleansing.

O- Excellent first experience with Innis and Gunn (and Scottish Ales in general). Beautiful flavours to be had here.

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Very smooth and very tasty. Easy to drink and a nice big bottle

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Innis and Gunn is hard to find around my part of MA. but I did some research and found some local distributers and picked up some original, since I heard so much about Innis and Gunn and I like Scottish beer.

S I got it in a bottle and poured into a pint glass.

A It was a dark copper color with asmall one inch head.

S It has a very mild smell of toffee and vanilla and you can smell the oak barrel aging in it.

T Very mild taste that goes down smooth also, you taste the toffee and vanilla along with the oak aging but it is not overbearing.

M This is were I like it, you take a nice mouthful and it is bliss, smooth with all the flavors mentioned above and you can not get better.

O I am once again impressed with the Scotts and there beer as I love Belhaven and I think I just found another best, I still have a Innis and Gunn rum cask to review after this one but I will be getting all the Innis and Gunn beers to try now.

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

it's a bit difficult to judging a style of beer which one comes across the first time (I remember years ago how I wasn't convinced at all by my first Belgian trappist brew or even by the first ale/bitter ... ), so therefore I keep this simple ....
the smell is full with wood and vanilla notes ... the taste is quite structured with fruity (figs, passion-fruit) notes upfront and acreamy-sweet (toffee) finish ...
like good wine the beer needs some airing, the full palate will need reveal in the first sip

4.31/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was a real surprise, kinda tastes like Whiskey and vanilla. I love it and go out of may way to find it.

4.31/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the 11.2 oz. bottle into an Innis & Gunn stemmed flute.

a: Nearly clear amber with an inch and a half thick white head which receded to thick surface foam and dense spotty lacing.

s; Butterscotch.

t: Caramel malt with increasing intensity, followed by a balancing hop bite. Bitterness fades into a sweet finish with light wood notes.

m: Medium, good body and a great deal of carbonation tingle.

o; A fine almost liquid butterscotch candylike treat. Was expecting more oak or whiskey presence from this "oak aged beer," but the caramel malt won out over anything else except for a note or two of woodiness in the aftertaste.

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours a clean orange-ish to yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, oaky, with notes of vanilla and caramel. In the taste, Oak, toffee, and almost like bourbon, but not. A small alcohol bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry woody and vanilla aftertaste. Almost bourbon like, nice and mellow, with a big flavor.

4.28/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

330ml bottle poured into a tulip glass

Look: Lovely, clear dark amber body with a bubbly off-white head which quickly diminishes to pretty much nothing but a few floating bubbles.

Smell: The bottle proclaims "hits of toffee, vanilla and oak" - I certainly get the last two, the first not so much. Quite a pleasant woody vanilla smell with just a hint of whisky and smoke.

Taste: Earthy, woody with hints of vanilla and more than a hint of whisky. Some malt notes coming through towards the end but little or no hop action. The whisky taste is interesting, since there's no explicit mention of aging in whisky barrels, just oak. Either way, it's not at all bad.

Feel: Quite watery, all things considered and there's not much in the way of carbonation to help things along. For 6.6% ABV I'd have expected a bit more in the way of body.

Overall: This is ... interesting. I wasn't at all impressed with the Innis and Gunn rum-aged beer so was approaching this with a bit of trepidation. Fortunately, the spiritous flavours are far more subdued and the drink is a heck of a lot more enhoyable as a result. Easy drinking, but nothing earth-shatteringly amazing.

It's probably worth mentioning that this is now bottled in brown, rather than clear, bottles.

4.26/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Brilliant amber color. Almost no head with minimal lacing, but very bubbly.

Tasty aroma and flavor of smoky toffee, almost bread like, but more on the bitter side with a pleasant fruity citrus sensation.

Warming rich and almost creamy. Prickly and a bitter mouthcoating finish but well intensified. Ending with a nice smoky aftertaste.

Very good beer overall, great unique fresh smoky feel.

4.21/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a clear honey color with a modest white head that drops to a ringlet and leaves some dots of lace

Smell: Toffee, pure and simple, dominates, but is accompanied by vanilla, oak and a hint of peat

Taste: Tastes like it smells, with toffee dominating up front and no real development until the swallow, when a slight hop presence kicks in to balance the sweetness; there clearly is diacetyl in the mix but it goes perfectly with this style; overall, the experience will remind you of a low key whisky, without the burn

Mouthfeel: Medium body, a bit slick on the tongue, with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This is a very different beer and one that took a sip or two to figure out but I must say that if you like the taste of whisky, you are going to like the taste of this one

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

I have never come across a beer that tasted remotely like this. It's almost an epiphany that has caused me to rethink beer itself. What the hell is going on here? I may be about five (other) beers deep, but this seems like nothing short of a revelation.

Liquid cake -- without being cloying.

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A finger and a half of head (as per my skinny fingers) and a completely clear amber color greets a medium-hard pour. Head dissipates after a few minutes.

Rich whiskey, vanilla, and caramel are the main aromas, with a slight bit of roasted malt in the back. No floral character or hops here - just dessert and aperitif aromas.

The taste is very similar - in fact, it gladly garners mouth-watering whiskey, vanilla, and sweet malt that would be sure to put hair on your chest. Daaaamn good. The mouth feel is the only negative aspect of the flavor to me, since it's a tad on the thin side.

This would be a ridiculously good beer if not for the thin mouthfeel, though it's still really good. Definitely recommended. I'd also agree that I've never tasted a beer such like this one before.

4.14/5  rDev +11%

Pale amber/bronze, medium off-white head steadily-slowly shrinks to thin ring.

Aroma is bright fruity grain, dried fruits, dry bread crust, dry herbs & hay, honey, hint of vanilla.

Taste is nice creamy caramelized sweet bread crust, light juicy zestiness, toffee, vanilla, light woodiness. It’s a bit sweet with little bitterness, but is very good, enjoyable, with a little complexity and nice character.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Copper hued brew with thin off-white head poured into I & G glass. Minimal lacing.
S: Vanilla, toffee, oak & lightly roasted malt highlight nose.
T: Oak, peat, vanilla, & toffee flavors open up as the glass warms.
M: Medium bodied & smooth.
O: Tasty brew that has a beautiful combination of flavors.

4.11/5  rDev +10.2%

Tastes just like the front label says. Definitely has a scotch whiskey taste to it as well. Well done.

4.11/5  rDev +10.2%

peach colored pour with some head that leaves very quickly.
very sweet, vanilla and caramel (dulce de leche!) aroma.
taste is sweet also. taste is vanilla-y also, malty, some caramel. i like it a lot until i get the 'oak' from the barrels it was sitting in. i dont like beers (or at least lighter colored beers) that have sat in barrels. oak or otherwise.
overall, unlike my last beer which was not good smelling but nice tasting, this was AWESOME smelling but the taste is not so great. i mean, i love the taste, but the finish is makes me shudder as i taste the barrel. i still say leave the barrels to the bourbons. and the whiskeys. it doesnt belong in beer. at least not all beer... maybe others like it, but i do not.

Innis And Gunn Original from Innis & Gunn