1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Innis And Gunn Original - Innis & Gunn

Innis And Gunn OriginalInnis And Gunn Original

good

good

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: slitherySOB on 12-24-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Innis And Gunn Original Alström Bros

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

3.66/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz. clear bottle.

A: Pours cloudy light copper. Two fingers of fluffy white head. The head retention is nice
with pretty good lacing.

S: Oak. Alcohol. Caramel. Vanilla. Smells like good whiskey. Not something I'm used to from
a beer.

T/M: Oak. Vanilla. Smooth with low carbonation. Malty with really no hops detectible.
Alcohol warming feel. Caramel. The finish is sweet and oaky.

O: This Scottish Ale is quite similar to whiskey, except it is easier to drink. Tastes good, but
not really a style I am that familiar with. I probably could only have a few of these before
I went back to something hoppier. Still worth a try.

Cheers!!

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

3.16/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Pilsner glass.

In the somewhat dim restaurant lighting, the beer appeared to be a light amber, or polished copper. About a 1-finger head in the 14-oz glass. Very faint smell. I could faintly detect vanilla and other sweetness. Head lasted hardly a minute.

Taste was on the sweeter side, with definite vanilla character, and reminders of amaretto, perhaps. The bottle says "a hint of vanilla, toffee and oak". I think "hint" is too weak a word here. The vanilla-toffee taste was very dominant. Mild to moderate carbonation.

Overall, I found this beer interesting due to the vanilla flavour. I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to purchase this beer to bring home, but I would not be bothered if it came along for the ride as part of a variety pack.

2.63/5  rDev -29.5%

It had a nice oak flavor to it, but the problem was that this oak flavor was largely masked by a distinct toffee taste. If you are a toffee lover than this might be an amazing beer. I certainly am not one of those people. I didn't really enjoy it, and it was wasn't cheap even for craft beer. I won't be buying more.

3.89/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Mild carbonation just a 1/4 inch of head that faded back to just a great bit of lacing. Color is a clear dark orange brown.
S - Mild bit of hops, some great toffee smells rather sweet and good vanilla/oak.
T - Quite sweet has a nice clean body with toffee, mild oak in the base, and very sweet vanilla notes,
M - Light to medium in body, very clean smooth taste.

Overall I always like these beers and can't wait to try the whisky version. Tasty as all hell.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.94/5  rDev +5.6%

500 mL can from the LCBO; best before May 2014. I've always been a little fond of this particular brew, but this is my first time seeing it available in a canned format, and man is it nice to have an option besides those goofy clear glass bottles. Served slightly chilled.

Pours a beautiful orange-amber in hue, completely clear and topped with one finger of dense, creamy, off-white head that dissipates quickly over the next few minutes. Only a thin, filmy cap remains at the surface, along with a narrow collar around the rim and a few strands of lacing. The aroma is a pleasant blend of toffee and oak, with hints of vanilla and whisky. Straightforward enough, but one thing I'll add is that there's no trace of the skunk I normally find in the clear bottles.

I tried my first I&G Original years ago, and I still feel it's one of the more approachable barrel-aged offerings on the market (not to mention one of the most ubiquitous). There's nothing particularly interesting or intense about it, but it's so well-balanced and smooth-tasting. Toffee and butterscotch are the first features I can pick out, followed soon after by a mellower honey sweetness. This fades into the barreling aspects of the flavour - vanilla, oak, and that lovely, light whisky character that keeps bringing me back to this brew. A little fruity on the finish, with lingering sweetness - this really could use a dash of hop bitterness on the back end to counter the predominantly sweet nature of the profile. Medium-bodied, with mild carbonation levels that result in an exceptionally smooth quaff. Drinkability is fairly low - I've been buying this stuff for a long time now, but one serving a day is plenty for me.

Final Grade: 3.94, a solid B+. Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer won't blow your mind, but if you're in the mood for an affordable, no-nonsense barrel-aged brew, this is the old standby that I have returned to again and again. This canned version is only a slight improvement over the clear bottles we've been stuck with previously, due to the lack of skunking. I can understand why some people aren't so big on this beer - with all the sweet notes and relative lack of hop balance - but I still have a soft spot for this stuff, and most people I offer it to seem fairly satisfied with it. In any event, it's well worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.79/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500ml can poured into a pint glass. ABV 6.6%.

A - Poured a clear copper orange with a 1cm white head, head reduced to surface bubbles, no lacing.

S - Upfront is the vanilla, then oak, hint cherries, caramel.

T - Sweet, caramel, vanilla, hint of something fruity, oak, low hop bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium-low carbonation, medium-heavy body, smooth, sticky, mostly crisp finish.

O - The Innis & Gunn Original has nice barrel aging flavors but I find it could use a bit more hops. Otherwise it's an easy drinking brew with an ABV that's surprisingly well hidden.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%