Innis And Gunn Original - Innis & Gunn

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: slitherySOB on 12-24-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Innis And Gunn Original Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a brilliantly clear deep golden color with a huge bubbly off white head that slowly dissipates to a cap on top. Aromas of oak tannin and a hint of vanilla penetrate my nostrils as soon as I more the glass nearer to my face. Earthy almost apple pie spice with hints of caramel and mineral water round out the nose. Little to no hop aroma. The flavor is big on the fruits apple, pear and cinnamon initially. Light caramel and brown sugar gives way to oak tannin and vanilla. Little to no hop flavor or bitterness. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet light sugary mouthfeel. Not a bar beer per se, but not something I really enjoyed much.

3.38/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

I love the appearance it just looks like a great beer! The smell is not to my liking and smells to me like a cheaper beer of which this wasn't that inexpensive. Almost smells like PBR. The feel/ finish of the beer is my favorite part. It ends with a beautiful honey taste and leaves the tongue feeling like it was just covered in a thin layer of honey. This made this beer very appealing to me. It may not sound appealing and I would agree but it actually was a good part of this beer. taste whys I honestly cannot tell if I like this beer. It is a difficult decision. It's a bit of a heavier beer so definitely not a session beer. Again, the taste is so hard to tell, the first pat of the sip isn't the best but then it gets sweeter and turns to honey. Totally unique and different from any other beer I've had. I do like. Would I buy it again? Maybe, hard to say. maybe would get it again on a cold night where I just want to sit and rest.

3.31/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a golden amber color with a quickly dissipating 1 finger head. Very little carbonation.

S: This really caught me off guard. I was expecting boozey dominance, but it is nowhere to be found. Instead, there'a oak, vanilla, caramel, toffee, and sweet pear. Super sweet.

T: Caught off guard again. Follows the nose pretty closely. Sweetest beer I think I've ever tried.

M: Medium body with slight carbonation. Slight boozey tingle.

O: This was surprising to say the least. Sweetness everywhere! This seemed really balanced and had really strong scents and flavors, but to me, this was jus too sweet. Glad I had it, but I'll probably never buy again.

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

BB MAR2014

A: Pours a golden amber color with just over a fingers worth of head that fades down to a thin cap

S: Oak, vanilla, toffee, a light fruitiness, and maltiness make up the aroma

T: Starts off with the vanilla and oak and goes into a toffee sweetness along with some fruity notes. Finishes with some malt sweetness and a bit of graininess

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A nice oak aged beer that displays the barrels nicely. Not to much in the way of the barrel, so it really shines through. A good dessert beer because of the sweetness, but not a bad any-time beer either

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz. clear bottle.

A: Pours cloudy light copper. Two fingers of fluffy white head. The head retention is nice
with pretty good lacing.

S: Oak. Alcohol. Caramel. Vanilla. Smells like good whiskey. Not something I'm used to from
a beer.

T/M: Oak. Vanilla. Smooth with low carbonation. Malty with really no hops detectible.
Alcohol warming feel. Caramel. The finish is sweet and oaky.

O: This Scottish Ale is quite similar to whiskey, except it is easier to drink. Tastes good, but
not really a style I am that familiar with. I probably could only have a few of these before
I went back to something hoppier. Still worth a try.

3.14/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Pilsner glass.

In the somewhat dim restaurant lighting, the beer appeared to be a light amber, or polished copper. About a 1-finger head in the 14-oz glass. Very faint smell. I could faintly detect vanilla and other sweetness. Head lasted hardly a minute.

Taste was on the sweeter side, with definite vanilla character, and reminders of amaretto, perhaps. The bottle says "a hint of vanilla, toffee and oak". I think "hint" is too weak a word here. The vanilla-toffee taste was very dominant. Mild to moderate carbonation.

Overall, I found this beer interesting due to the vanilla flavour. I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to purchase this beer to bring home, but I would not be bothered if it came along for the ride as part of a variety pack.

2.65/5  rDev -28.6%

It had a nice oak flavor to it, but the problem was that this oak flavor was largely masked by a distinct toffee taste. If you are a toffee lover than this might be an amazing beer. I certainly am not one of those people. I didn't really enjoy it, and it was wasn't cheap even for craft beer. I won't be buying more.

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Mild carbonation just a 1/4 inch of head that faded back to just a great bit of lacing. Color is a clear dark orange brown.
S - Mild bit of hops, some great toffee smells rather sweet and good vanilla/oak.
T - Quite sweet has a nice clean body with toffee, mild oak in the base, and very sweet vanilla notes,
M - Light to medium in body, very clean smooth taste.

Overall I always like these beers and can't wait to try the whisky version. Tasty as all hell.

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

500 mL can from the LCBO; best before May 2014. I've always been a little fond of this particular brew, but this is my first time seeing it available in a canned format, and man is it nice to have an option besides those goofy clear glass bottles. Served slightly chilled.

Pours a beautiful orange-amber in hue, completely clear and topped with one finger of dense, creamy, off-white head that dissipates quickly over the next few minutes. Only a thin, filmy cap remains at the surface, along with a narrow collar around the rim and a few strands of lacing. The aroma is a pleasant blend of toffee and oak, with hints of vanilla and whisky. Straightforward enough, but one thing I'll add is that there's no trace of the skunk I normally find in the clear bottles.

I tried my first I&G Original years ago, and I still feel it's one of the more approachable barrel-aged offerings on the market (not to mention one of the most ubiquitous). There's nothing particularly interesting or intense about it, but it's so well-balanced and smooth-tasting. Toffee and butterscotch are the first features I can pick out, followed soon after by a mellower honey sweetness. This fades into the barreling aspects of the flavour - vanilla, oak, and that lovely, light whisky character that keeps bringing me back to this brew. A little fruity on the finish, with lingering sweetness - this really could use a dash of hop bitterness on the back end to counter the predominantly sweet nature of the profile. Medium-bodied, with mild carbonation levels that result in an exceptionally smooth quaff. Drinkability is fairly low - I've been buying this stuff for a long time now, but one serving a day is plenty for me.

Final Grade: 3.93, a solid B+. Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer won't blow your mind, but if you're in the mood for an affordable, no-nonsense barrel-aged brew, this is the old standby that I have returned to again and again. This canned version is only a slight improvement over the clear bottles we've been stuck with previously, due to the lack of skunking. I can understand why some people aren't so big on this beer - with all the sweet notes and relative lack of hop balance - but I still have a soft spot for this stuff, and most people I offer it to seem fairly satisfied with it. In any event, it's well worth a try.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500ml can poured into a pint glass. ABV 6.6%.

A - Poured a clear copper orange with a 1cm white head, head reduced to surface bubbles, no lacing.

S - Upfront is the vanilla, then oak, hint cherries, caramel.

T - Sweet, caramel, vanilla, hint of something fruity, oak, low hop bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium-low carbonation, medium-heavy body, smooth, sticky, mostly crisp finish.

O - The Innis & Gunn Original has nice barrel aging flavors but I find it could use a bit more hops. Otherwise it's an easy drinking brew with an ABV that's surprisingly well hidden.

3.54/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - copper-amber with a quarter of an inch of off white, foamy head that has decent retention

S - caramel, oak

T - caramel, oak, bread, sweet

M - crisp, medium bodied, well carbonated

This is a nice, malty scottish ale. It's very easy to drink. The only downside to this beer is that its purely malty with little else save some oak for complexity. On the plus side this beer didn't have any of the skunky character I actually expected from a clear-bottle import.

2.6/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Real nice orange amber, glowing and very bright colored body and clear. Very creamy three finger head made with a nice light retention. Settles to a foamy puck, quite nice looking.

Yup, there is trouble here folks on first opening. This brew is skunked. Rubber and faint hints of toffee softness are in the background. A little bit of lemon strangely, but the brew is definitely not pleasant.

Very mild toffee aromas, on the palate, and a mild cream but extremely muted. Very light lemon character on this almost like a soda. Extremely light palate but also quite flat. Light sugar toffee like tasting, and a little flat carbonation. Has a taste of flat cola (which ironically I always enjoyed as a kid).

Still, it's a compromised product, and it gets scored as such because it's totally preventable if they used better bottles or packaging. Won't be buying anymore Innis & Gunn till they fix this.

4.07/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Got this beer in a variety pack because it came with a glass and I was pleasantly surprised.

Pours golden honey color with almost no head.

Smells sweet and spicy.

Taste-Vanilla and caramel sweetness. I thought I tasted a hint of honey so I looked it up because I am vegan. There is no honey so there is a third sweetness factor that i couldnt put my finger on.

Mouthfeel- Refreshingc and very smooth. very drinkable.

Overall great beer I will definitely have it again.

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Always hesitant with the clear bottles, so when I see a 3 bottle + glass set in a cardboard box, hell, why not.

Pours a lighter orange, clear, with a tan head. There is some oak and vanilla on the nose, caramel, and toast. The taste has some vanilla and mild wood notes, with an earthy hop note, pale grain sweetness and slight toffee. Feels light, maybe a hair medium bodied, clean, with a moderate amount of carbonation. Drinks easy enough. Not sure if I find this to be a Scottish ale to style or Scottish ale because the brewery is Scottish. Oh well, its not half bad if you can avoid the skunking.

3.44/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into the old trusty Duvel glass with a flourish which only raised a short lived white head that all but disappeared into the clear deep amber of the beer itself. Nose has vanilla then light oak followed by light biscuity malt tones. The tasting reveals much the same as the nose, lightly sweet maltiness and vanilla notes. Light and smooth mouthfeel, an easy drinker. The finish is on the sweet side, a bit more hop would make this quite a bit more interesting but as it is, just an easy to drink ale with an emphasis on sweetness and vanilla oakiness. Ok but a one trick pony.

I dream about this beer! Seriously, it is an absolutely amazing beverage. The color is spot on amber orange. The smell is caramel and vanilla and malt and scotch. It tastes like it smells but the after taste lingers so nicely, I enjoy the sweetness that it comes with as I am a fan of dessert in general. It is potent....you don't notice the alcohol content until it is too late...

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

Finally re-reviewing this long time fave. 500 ml can served fairly cold into a pint glass. Purchased for $2.95 CDN. Upon looking at my original score, I believe I have overrated this by some amount.

Appearance - rich bronze color, with about a half finger of white head, with minimal retention time and minimal lacing. Clear but with very few bubbles.

Smell - tons of vanilla and plenty of the oak aged barrel smell. Not a ton else, maybe some mild salted caramel, but the vanilla and oak are the stars.

Taste - vanilla with a earthy backbone, again I presume from the oak aged barrels. A touch of caramel again. It's pretty straightforward but for newbies to the craft beer scene, it's extraordinarily original.

Mouthfeel - light carbonation, but a bit spritzy although a heavier than average body. Somewhat syrupy although it works here with the flavours.

Overall- it's not as good as I had originally rated it, but I contend that it might still be the best offering in their lineup. Definitely something to enjoy time and again.

3.71/5  rDev 0%

It come in a white transparent bottle with an elegant label.
Golden color with a two finger head with low retention.
Light aroma of malt, wood and vanilla.
Now it got interesting, I was really surprised with the amount of vanilla flavors in this brew. Hints of apple juice, whiskey, oak and toffee. Dry aftertaste with a mild bitterness.
Light to medium body with an acid sensation.
Very original beer, flavorful and quite refreshing. Well worth it a try.

4.31/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the 11.2 oz. bottle into an Innis & Gunn stemmed flute.

a: Nearly clear amber with an inch and a half thick white head which receded to thick surface foam and dense spotty lacing.

s; Butterscotch.

t: Caramel malt with increasing intensity, followed by a balancing hop bite. Bitterness fades into a sweet finish with light wood notes.

m: Medium, good body and a great deal of carbonation tingle.

o; A fine almost liquid butterscotch candylike treat. Was expecting more oak or whiskey presence from this "oak aged beer," but the caramel malt won out over anything else except for a note or two of woodiness in the aftertaste.

On draught #JustSayNoToClearBottles

Appearance: Deep honey to light orange body. airy off white head. Solid lacing (4.00)

Aroma: Moderate, distinctly I&G notes of caramel. Background is earthy with the slightest hint of smoke. (4.00)

Flavor: Malt forward, moderately earthy with some faint nutty notes. Low, but still present alcohol. (3.80)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, light carbonation. Dissipating finish (3.75)

3.82/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

A: Pours a slightly hazy honey color with a decent head that fades to bits of lacing.

A: Aroma of roasted malt, caramel, some vanilla a nd toffee, with bit of spice and a trace of oak and whiskey in the background.

T: Taste is similar to the aroma with some caramel sweetness, toffee, vanila with a bit of spice. Mild bitterness and a clean finish.

F: Moderate body, crisp and smooth with just a bit of a sticky sweetness.

O: Nice beer that goes down quite easy. The Barrel aging gives it a bit of a unique character.

4.11/5  rDev +10.8%

peach colored pour with some head that leaves very quickly.
very sweet, vanilla and caramel (dulce de leche!) aroma.
taste is sweet also. taste is vanilla-y also, malty, some caramel. i like it a lot until i get the 'oak' from the barrels it was sitting in. i dont like beers (or at least lighter colored beers) that have sat in barrels. oak or otherwise.
overall, unlike my last beer which was not good smelling but nice tasting, this was AWESOME smelling but the taste is not so great. i mean, i love the taste, but the finish is makes me shudder as i taste the barrel. i still say leave the barrels to the bourbons. and the whiskeys. it doesnt belong in beer. at least not all beer... maybe others like it, but i do not.

3.61/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type - 500ml can poured into a nonic pint glass

Appearance - Beer pours a clear orange-golden colour. The initial two fingers of head appeared watery vanished vey quickly. Some (very) light traces of lacing are left behind.

Smell - A pleasant aroma. Very sweet smelling. Vanilla is dominant followed by caramel and sweet toffee. Also picking up some spices. There is an oak aroma from the aging process but I likley wouldn't have picked up on it if I hadn't been looking for it, but ist's really quite nice.

Taste - Vanilla taste right off the bat. Also a woody (oak) taste. Some light spiced towards the end. Caramel and toffee flavours feature predominantly. The vanilla taste also seems to linger. Bitterness is extremely low.

Mouthfeel - Far from heavy. If anything the beer is on the light side body-wise. Carbonation is low.

Overall - 3.5

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear orange with a foamy off-white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Tiny streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, and some woody aromas. Taste is much the same with vanilla and woody flavors on the finish. There is a caramel sweetness that lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some nice woody aromas and flavors but the taste is quite sweet and sugary.

3.79/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Big head and the best lacing of the IG ales in the winter pack. Lovely clear amber with a golden amber color. Malt backbone with a spicy fruitiness in the nose. A light alcohol sweetness. Taste is smooth and malty with an oak and vanilla toffee sweetness. Alcohol and mineral edge in the finish with a mild hoppiness. Feel is medium light with a velvety creamy carbonation and easy drinkability. A good solid malt oriented ale with an oakey twist.

Innis And Gunn Original from Innis & Gunn