Innis And Gunn Original - Innis & Gunn

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: slitherySOB on 12-24-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Innis And Gunn Original Alström Bros
Ratings: 677 | Reviews: 129
3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

A = Dark amber/peach in color, similar to a fresh pressing of apple cider. The foamy head dissipates too quickly for me.
S = Lovely! Butter toffee, sugary, malty. Subtle and not overpowering.
T = Rather complex. Sweet, malty, light breads, light oakiness, and smoky at the finish.
M = Smooth and the light carbonation adds a refreshing element. Leaves a slight malty/toffee taste on the palate.
O = Delicious and unique. The 6.6% alcohol is perfect. Not an everyday beer, but one I will seek out again. As for food, it would pair with rich cheeses or even a spicy barbeque, and would accompany flavorful fatty foods well.

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-copper with a white head that faded quickly
S-sweet caramel malt with light smoke and light alcohol
T-deep malt sweetness with a scotch like flavor, then you get a smoke and alcohol hints
M-medium body and medium carbonation
O- sweet and sweet with smoke and alcohol

3.2/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

330 ml. bottle. Amber to red colour, with a minimal head that vanishes too soon. Smell like a damp cellar with spider webs, oak, whisky, Maybe some vanilla or something, but it's buried under the whisky. Light palate, taste of whisky, oak and spices.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

(from a holiday gift set, poured into the tall, goblet-like glass it came with)

A: crystal liquid, apple-juice amber.... real tall frothy white foam on the pour, falls into a steady creme cap

S: toasted oak/bark, earthy fresh cigar... spicy, pear(?)-like esters... mild caramel or turbinado simple syrup.... excellent aromas, but unfortunately fairly subdued in intensity

T: clean malty foundation, not much hop at all, if any, and delicate bitterness... light-moderate vanilla notes... the toasted/cigar elements seem tempered by the up-front malt flavor... this is a tough one - the balance and quality of the esters and malt are certainly a few notches above that of bottles of many of the English pales I've tried over the years - maybe the barrel-aging has something to do with this, although, many of the Scottish bottles I've had are similarly better than the English... hmmm.... anyway, there's sort of a spiced caramel apple aftertaste that lingers long.... the alcohol is wonderfully phantom

M: clean and smooth.... understated compact viscosity.... dry finish... some juicy/oily residue left on the palate

O: to me, this is unique among BA beers.... if you're expecting something huge in flavors of alcohol or whiskey/port/calvados/blahblahblah, this is not what this is about.... not many straight oak-aged beers I can think of aside from the I&G....

3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

"Carefully matured for 77 days prior to release"

This is the first of the aged Innis & Gunn brews, natural hints of toffee, vanilla and oak are within this Scottish ale.

True, We don't get to know the specifics of how or what the ale was aged in, but you certainly can smell and taste the aged-in-cask effects.

An Aged, flat appearance to this deep golden and amber colored brew. A relaxed white foam, falls out pretty quick to just a ring around the edge.

An earthy, musky, aroma with a rum-like malty sweetness in the nose. Musty, earthy hop edge plays with sweet, rum and alcohol flavor's, maybe even the toffee, caramel they speak of and yes, just a hint of vanilla. Pretty complex in flavor for a simple, light but very laid-back and slick feeling in the mouth.

Deviate from the norm with these Scottish Cask brews!

3.44/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A = created a massive 5 finger head due to a very aggressive pour. slowly dissipated into a golden amber with a thin half finger head.

S = was disappointed and unsurprised to get a noseful of skunk on the initial opening of the bottle. an aggressive pour and agitating the beer helped to stir some of the volatiles. I get hints of caramel malt, alcohol, vanilla and wood.

T = initial sip was skunky, but agitation produced an entirely different flavor profile. Very sweet and malty without being cloying, little hop bitterness, vanilla cream soda and woody notes. Alcohol is present and slightly warming.

M = creamy and light bodied.

O = not style I think I'm particularly fond of, but certainly an interesting experience. I've not had a beer with a flavor profile like this before. Recommended to try once, at least. If only it was in a darker bottle...

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Copper hued brew with thin off-white head poured into I & G glass. Minimal lacing.
S: Vanilla, toffee, oak & lightly roasted malt highlight nose.
T: Oak, peat, vanilla, & toffee flavors open up as the glass warms.
M: Medium bodied & smooth.
O: Tasty brew that has a beautiful combination of flavors.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #66 (July 2012):

LOOK: Bright brassy hue, tall order of foam

SMELL: Bready, buttery, toffee, leafy, mineral, wood, herbal, overripe fruit, warming alcoholic esters

TASTE: Creamy, smooth, buttery, malty, toffee, chicory, dried hay, toasted bread crust, balancing bitterness, bite of oak, vanilla, fallen apples; warm, drying finish

Original is right—on one side, it’s a straight-up malt bomb that is balanced by some hopping. On the other side is its strength and oak aging, which ends up being quite complex. A great pick if you are looking for something outside of the norm.

3.81/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a crystal clear medium amber in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation swirling from the bottom of the glass and some faint burnt orange highlights. The beer has a half finger tall creamy off-white head that reduces to a thick film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Slightly heavier than moderate aromas of vanilla and oak over slightly lighter aromas of the spicy notes of rum.

T: Upfront the beer is slightly sweet with light to moderate notes of caramel and fruity (apple + pear) malts. That is followed by moderate flavors of oak, spiced rum, and vanilla. Lightly sweet but not overly so.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth.

O: I found this to be one of the more enjoyable beers in the style that I have tried because it was not overly sweet or overly boozy - the flavors of the oak and the vanilla were really nice and the alcohol was fairly well hidden. I was happy to not get any skunky flavors/aromas considering the beer is in clear glass bottles.

3.23/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours a brilliantly clear deep golden color with a huge bubbly off white head that slowly dissipates to a cap on top. Aromas of oak tannin and a hint of vanilla penetrate my nostrils as soon as I more the glass nearer to my face. Earthy almost apple pie spice with hints of caramel and mineral water round out the nose. Little to no hop aroma. The flavor is big on the fruits apple, pear and cinnamon initially. Light caramel and brown sugar gives way to oak tannin and vanilla. Little to no hop flavor or bitterness. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet light sugary mouthfeel. Not a bar beer per se, but not something I really enjoyed much.

3.38/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

I love the appearance it just looks like a great beer! The smell is not to my liking and smells to me like a cheaper beer of which this wasn't that inexpensive. Almost smells like PBR. The feel/ finish of the beer is my favorite part. It ends with a beautiful honey taste and leaves the tongue feeling like it was just covered in a thin layer of honey. This made this beer very appealing to me. It may not sound appealing and I would agree but it actually was a good part of this beer. taste whys I honestly cannot tell if I like this beer. It is a difficult decision. It's a bit of a heavier beer so definitely not a session beer. Again, the taste is so hard to tell, the first pat of the sip isn't the best but then it gets sweeter and turns to honey. Totally unique and different from any other beer I've had. I do like. Would I buy it again? Maybe, hard to say. maybe would get it again on a cold night where I just want to sit and rest.

3.31/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a golden amber color with a quickly dissipating 1 finger head. Very little carbonation.

S: This really caught me off guard. I was expecting boozey dominance, but it is nowhere to be found. Instead, there'a oak, vanilla, caramel, toffee, and sweet pear. Super sweet.

T: Caught off guard again. Follows the nose pretty closely. Sweetest beer I think I've ever tried.

M: Medium body with slight carbonation. Slight boozey tingle.

O: This was surprising to say the least. Sweetness everywhere! This seemed really balanced and had really strong scents and flavors, but to me, this was jus too sweet. Glad I had it, but I'll probably never buy again.

3.69/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

BB MAR2014

A: Pours a golden amber color with just over a fingers worth of head that fades down to a thin cap

S: Oak, vanilla, toffee, a light fruitiness, and maltiness make up the aroma

T: Starts off with the vanilla and oak and goes into a toffee sweetness along with some fruity notes. Finishes with some malt sweetness and a bit of graininess

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A nice oak aged beer that displays the barrels nicely. Not to much in the way of the barrel, so it really shines through. A good dessert beer because of the sweetness, but not a bad any-time beer either

3.69/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz. clear bottle.

A: Pours cloudy light copper. Two fingers of fluffy white head. The head retention is nice
with pretty good lacing.

S: Oak. Alcohol. Caramel. Vanilla. Smells like good whiskey. Not something I'm used to from
a beer.

T/M: Oak. Vanilla. Smooth with low carbonation. Malty with really no hops detectible.
Alcohol warming feel. Caramel. The finish is sweet and oaky.

O: This Scottish Ale is quite similar to whiskey, except it is easier to drink. Tastes good, but
not really a style I am that familiar with. I probably could only have a few of these before
I went back to something hoppier. Still worth a try.

Cheers!!

3.14/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Pilsner glass.

In the somewhat dim restaurant lighting, the beer appeared to be a light amber, or polished copper. About a 1-finger head in the 14-oz glass. Very faint smell. I could faintly detect vanilla and other sweetness. Head lasted hardly a minute.

Taste was on the sweeter side, with definite vanilla character, and reminders of amaretto, perhaps. The bottle says "a hint of vanilla, toffee and oak". I think "hint" is too weak a word here. The vanilla-toffee taste was very dominant. Mild to moderate carbonation.

Overall, I found this beer interesting due to the vanilla flavour. I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to purchase this beer to bring home, but I would not be bothered if it came along for the ride as part of a variety pack.

2.65/5  rDev -29%

It had a nice oak flavor to it, but the problem was that this oak flavor was largely masked by a distinct toffee taste. If you are a toffee lover than this might be an amazing beer. I certainly am not one of those people. I didn't really enjoy it, and it was wasn't cheap even for craft beer. I won't be buying more.

3.88/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Mild carbonation just a 1/4 inch of head that faded back to just a great bit of lacing. Color is a clear dark orange brown.
S - Mild bit of hops, some great toffee smells rather sweet and good vanilla/oak.
T - Quite sweet has a nice clean body with toffee, mild oak in the base, and very sweet vanilla notes,
M - Light to medium in body, very clean smooth taste.

Overall I always like these beers and can't wait to try the whisky version. Tasty as all hell.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

500 mL can from the LCBO; best before May 2014. I've always been a little fond of this particular brew, but this is my first time seeing it available in a canned format, and man is it nice to have an option besides those goofy clear glass bottles. Served slightly chilled.

Pours a beautiful orange-amber in hue, completely clear and topped with one finger of dense, creamy, off-white head that dissipates quickly over the next few minutes. Only a thin, filmy cap remains at the surface, along with a narrow collar around the rim and a few strands of lacing. The aroma is a pleasant blend of toffee and oak, with hints of vanilla and whisky. Straightforward enough, but one thing I'll add is that there's no trace of the skunk I normally find in the clear bottles.

I tried my first I&G Original years ago, and I still feel it's one of the more approachable barrel-aged offerings on the market (not to mention one of the most ubiquitous). There's nothing particularly interesting or intense about it, but it's so well-balanced and smooth-tasting. Toffee and butterscotch are the first features I can pick out, followed soon after by a mellower honey sweetness. This fades into the barreling aspects of the flavour - vanilla, oak, and that lovely, light whisky character that keeps bringing me back to this brew. A little fruity on the finish, with lingering sweetness - this really could use a dash of hop bitterness on the back end to counter the predominantly sweet nature of the profile. Medium-bodied, with mild carbonation levels that result in an exceptionally smooth quaff. Drinkability is fairly low - I've been buying this stuff for a long time now, but one serving a day is plenty for me.

Final Grade: 3.93, a solid B+. Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer won't blow your mind, but if you're in the mood for an affordable, no-nonsense barrel-aged brew, this is the old standby that I have returned to again and again. This canned version is only a slight improvement over the clear bottles we've been stuck with previously, due to the lack of skunking. I can understand why some people aren't so big on this beer - with all the sweet notes and relative lack of hop balance - but I still have a soft spot for this stuff, and most people I offer it to seem fairly satisfied with it. In any event, it's well worth a try.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500ml can poured into a pint glass. ABV 6.6%.

A - Poured a clear copper orange with a 1cm white head, head reduced to surface bubbles, no lacing.

S - Upfront is the vanilla, then oak, hint cherries, caramel.

T - Sweet, caramel, vanilla, hint of something fruity, oak, low hop bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium-low carbonation, medium-heavy body, smooth, sticky, mostly crisp finish.

O - The Innis & Gunn Original has nice barrel aging flavors but I find it could use a bit more hops. Otherwise it's an easy drinking brew with an ABV that's surprisingly well hidden.

3.54/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - copper-amber with a quarter of an inch of off white, foamy head that has decent retention

S - caramel, oak

T - caramel, oak, bread, sweet

M - crisp, medium bodied, well carbonated

This is a nice, malty scottish ale. It's very easy to drink. The only downside to this beer is that its purely malty with little else save some oak for complexity. On the plus side this beer didn't have any of the skunky character I actually expected from a clear-bottle import.

2.6/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Real nice orange amber, glowing and very bright colored body and clear. Very creamy three finger head made with a nice light retention. Settles to a foamy puck, quite nice looking.

Yup, there is trouble here folks on first opening. This brew is skunked. Rubber and faint hints of toffee softness are in the background. A little bit of lemon strangely, but the brew is definitely not pleasant.

Very mild toffee aromas, on the palate, and a mild cream but extremely muted. Very light lemon character on this almost like a soda. Extremely light palate but also quite flat. Light sugar toffee like tasting, and a little flat carbonation. Has a taste of flat cola (which ironically I always enjoyed as a kid).

Still, it's a compromised product, and it gets scored as such because it's totally preventable if they used better bottles or packaging. Won't be buying anymore Innis & Gunn till they fix this.

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Got this beer in a variety pack because it came with a glass and I was pleasantly surprised.

Pours golden honey color with almost no head.

Smells sweet and spicy.

Taste-Vanilla and caramel sweetness. I thought I tasted a hint of honey so I looked it up because I am vegan. There is no honey so there is a third sweetness factor that i couldnt put my finger on.

Mouthfeel- Refreshingc and very smooth. very drinkable.

Overall great beer I will definitely have it again.

3.4/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Always hesitant with the clear bottles, so when I see a 3 bottle + glass set in a cardboard box, hell, why not.

Pours a lighter orange, clear, with a tan head. There is some oak and vanilla on the nose, caramel, and toast. The taste has some vanilla and mild wood notes, with an earthy hop note, pale grain sweetness and slight toffee. Feels light, maybe a hair medium bodied, clean, with a moderate amount of carbonation. Drinks easy enough. Not sure if I find this to be a Scottish ale to style or Scottish ale because the brewery is Scottish. Oh well, its not half bad if you can avoid the skunking.

3.44/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into the old trusty Duvel glass with a flourish which only raised a short lived white head that all but disappeared into the clear deep amber of the beer itself. Nose has vanilla then light oak followed by light biscuity malt tones. The tasting reveals much the same as the nose, lightly sweet maltiness and vanilla notes. Light and smooth mouthfeel, an easy drinker. The finish is on the sweet side, a bit more hop would make this quite a bit more interesting but as it is, just an easy to drink ale with an emphasis on sweetness and vanilla oakiness. Ok but a one trick pony.

I dream about this beer! Seriously, it is an absolutely amazing beverage. The color is spot on amber orange. The smell is caramel and vanilla and malt and scotch. It tastes like it smells but the after taste lingers so nicely, I enjoy the sweetness that it comes with as I am a fan of dessert in general. It is potent....you don't notice the alcohol content until it is too late...

Innis And Gunn Original from Innis & Gunn