2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Cask - Innis & Gunn

Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey CaskInnis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Cask

Innis & Gunn visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

English Stout |  7.40% ABV

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 01-20-2012)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 408 | Reviews: 115 | Show All Ratings:
scotorum

4.48/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

"BBE (?)" Dec. 14

Poured from the 11.2 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams nonick.

a: Black with clear ruby highlights when seen through light. Two inch tall tan head receded to fairly even surface foam and dense lacing.

s: Booze.

t: Very smooth texture with whiskey flavor, as expected, different from their Rum Cask Aged. The whiskey flavor dominates aroma and taste, so that there is no smoky or little if any coffee or chocolate stout flavor in evidence. Throat burn despite the moderate 7.4% ABV.

m: Moderate, very silky smooth.

o: An excellent variety of I&G cask aged brews. Their Rum Cask Aged is one of my top go-to's for flavor when I want beer that tastes like liquor. This one would not be very far behind, in fact might be ahead due to its silky mouthfeel.

04-11-2014 05:56:21 | More by scotorum
bluejacket74

3.99/5  rDev +5.3%

11.2 ounce bottle, stamp on it says BBE Dec 14. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with about a half inch tan head. The head sticks around a while, and there's a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, Irish whiskey, and some dark fruit and coffee. It tastes like roasted malt, Irish whiskey, bittersweet chocolate, oak/wood, coffee, dark fruit (cherries), peat, and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy and coating with moderate carbonation. I liked this brew, it's not heavy on the Irish whiskey and I think it meshes well with the stout. I'd buy this again. $11.99 a 4-pack.

03-30-2014 01:50:11 | More by bluejacket74
Mongrel

Maryland

3.44/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This thing looks like a Coke or Dr. Pepper when it hits the glass. Carbonation is of course a bit tighter and produces a head with pretty decent retention. not much lace to speak of.

Smells, well, skunky. It's really a shame they still insist on bottling these in clear bottles, because I actually had one of these on draft last night and it smelled fine -- nothing remarkable, but nothing off-putting either. Aside from the generic lager-type skunkiness, it smells sweet, with a faint whiff of oaky vanilla.

Initially, it just tastes kind of sweet and skunky too. Like a Newcastle with faint roasty notes. Fortunately, the flavor does develop a bit past that. Vanilla, caramel and tobacco come in and the roasty notes deepen. Very clean flavor profile, as my buddy remarked last night. All of the flavors are very subtle and it would be easy to chug one of these, only tasting the bland "Newcastle brown" side of things, and not what lies deeper.

Mouthfeel is clean, soft, and a little on the light side, especially considering that this site lists it as a stout. I probably wouldn't call it a stout, but a brown ale. The roasty finish is moderately long, which is nice. There;s also a faint whiskey tingle at the back of the throat.

Overall, I'm a bit underwhelmed by this beer and I can tell you it's certainly better experienced on tap. That said, you could do worse with an English brown ale (ahem, Newcastle).

03-22-2014 16:11:32 | More by Mongrel
thehyperduck

Ontario (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

330 mL bottle from the LCBO, served slightly chilled. This has been my biggest (re: only) I&G want for quite a while, so I'm glad I snagged a bottle before stock ran out again.

Pours an opaque mahogany colour with some crimson highlights, topped with one finger of dense, creamy, light tan-coloured head. Good retention, with a nice swath of lacing left clinging to the glass as it slowly recedes. While the usual 1-2 punch of oak and vanilla shared amongst all I&G barrel-aged beers is front and center, this one has some nice accents of roasted malts, treacle and whiskey. No objections here.

It has been a while since I've enjoyed a nice, strong, simple stout like this. Caramel hits you first, in addition to raisin and figgy fruit notes. The roasted malt character then begins to dominate, followed by some molasses sweetness - taken along with the trademark I&G vanilla/oak, it's almost a little too rich for my tastes. Some light coffee roast finishes it off, with a disappointingly weak note of whiskey on the tail end. Medium-bodied; a little light in the mouth considering the abv, although you don't need to look very hard to detect the alcohol itself. A minor complaint, though - this is still a solid, enjoyable strong ale.

Final Grade: 3.98, a B+. Innis & Gunn's Irish Whiskey Cask is definitely one of their tastier brews, and at $3.25 a bottle it's absolutely a better deal than many of their other rotating offerings (I'm looking at you, bottles-in-a-carton). I'm not sure I like this more than their flagship oaked ale, but I'd be happy with either one in my glass. Worth a look, at least - not the most complex wood-aged ale by any means, but a good, affordable tutorial to the style.

03-22-2014 05:39:30 | More by thehyperduck
JohnFatAss

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Almost black in color when poured into a glass.
Tan head.
Not much lacing.

Smells pretty good. It has a sweet smell of vanilla and a trace of whiskey.

Tastes like it smells. Sweet roasted malts. I get some wood and a trace of whiskey on the finish.

It actually goes down smooth. Not harsh like Irish whiskey.

This is a very good and interesting beer.

Definitely worth a try.

03-20-2014 01:57:09 | More by JohnFatAss
dank203

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

dark brown ruby red hue, dark head. smell has some faint whiskey but the flavor has a lot more. and it's smooth with a spicy note to balance the sweetness of whiskey. I enjoy it but A.) not sessionable for me and B.) needs innis glassware; regular pint glass threw off balance

03-17-2014 23:26:19 | More by dank203
jlappy

Ontario (Canada)

4.56/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Innes & Gunn has done it again. Their Irish Whiskey Cask beer is a very good tasting beer; it has a definite hint of Irish Whiskey aroma and taste. It`s not too strong, heavy or filling; certainly a great beer to enjoy St Patrick`s Day festivities.
Well done Innes & Gunn..

03-09-2014 00:31:55 | More by jlappy
irishpaulie

United Kingdom (England)

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A scottish beer matured in Irish Whiskey barrels, hmmmm I'm very interested. I am a bit biased as I am from the Emerald Isle but Irish Whiskey gets a bit of a bad rep as it can be a bit sweet and is usually blended etc but there are some great small producers popping up. Anyway here goes....

A - Deep brown. Fine head which dissipates quickly.

S - Not too intense. Fresh with aromas of sweet tobacco, coffee, caramel and dried fruit, raisins. Dark malt. Bit of confected cherry sweets. Ginger.

T - Expected something a bit more concentrated but it is nice and refreshing. Dark malts, cherry, mocha, chocolate, sweet coffee. Hints of vanilla and pizza dough.

M - Not full bodied, much more refreshing and light. Good carbonation level.

O - Not overly fussed. Its a refreshing style porter and I could drink more. However I was expecting a bit more concentration of flavours in the taste and a more viscous mouthfeel. Nice but not amazing.

03-03-2014 22:16:39 | More by irishpaulie
WhiteHillsStore

Connecticut

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I love Innis and Gunn. It was the first beer I really liked and got me into good beer in the first place so I might be a little biased. The color is a very dark hazel with a coffee colored head that has some legs. The smell is toasty but you can smell a little of the wood too. The taste is great, everything I've come to love from Innis and Gunn. Smooth, rich, and just a fantastically crisp finish. Coats your mouth but doesn't leave a lingering aftertaste. Absolutely loved it and would definitely recommend.

03-02-2014 01:23:12 | More by WhiteHillsStore
utopiajane

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This pours completely black with a chocolate colored head of foam that fell quickly but left lace to look at. Nose is the light sweet whiskey. Floral and with a bit of oak. Cut grass and vanilla cream. Very inviting. A dusting of cocoa. Taste follows the nose. The malt is roasty and smooth. Has a very creamy mouthfeel but very thin and soft carbonation. The whiskey flavor is light and sweet while the cocoa deepens it. The vanilla lingers in the aftertaste just a bit as the alcohol warms. There is a subtle peat that leaves with a touch of smoke.

This one is easy to drink and terribly pleasant. Has long finish just like irish whiskey and hints at honey. The clear bottle did not do it any harm as far as I can tell but it is a seasonal so I bought it pretty early after it hit the shelf.

11-07-2013 14:50:16 | More by utopiajane
ianmatth

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark, like a stout should be. I could care less about appearance, so unless it's really beautiful or really ugly, it will get the average of the other ratings. Who drinks a beer for appearance anyway?

S - Malty, some sweetness, not a strong smell. I can taste this a lot more than I can smell it.

T - Malty, a little bit of sweetness, I think I can taste the oak too, which gives it a little bit of a scotch flavor.

M - Malty and sweet, very solid and substantial as a stout should be, pretty light and smooth for 7.4%.

O - I'm an IPA guy, but this is an incredible stout. I might prefer it to be a little drier, but it is much easier to have a sub-5% beer be dry than a 7.4% beer. I would definitely choose this over Guiness though as it it everything a stout should be and has some great oak notes as well.

10-18-2013 07:10:24 | More by ianmatth
pkalix

4.11/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

right . . . not much head at all... super dark/black, foamy remnants on top. smells very nice, though. I remember not liking the other innis & guns I tried. one was WAY TOO barrel-ly and nauseating, but this one smells very nice. I wonder if it's because it's a stout first? i'll have to check my other reviews... yeah they were scotch ales.... let's see how this one turns out . . . . but the smell is very malty and stout-like and I can breathe this stuff in for awhile...
taste is much MUCH better than I remember the others I tried tasting like. this is good! very stout-like. a little bit of chalkiness, some bitter chocolate, some bourbon/whiskey in the back, a little vanilla, and NOT thick and syrup-y like so many other stouts. barrel-aged or not.... a little too sweet for my preference, but I can see this being their flagship brew. wonder why it took so long for Total Wine to get this one??? maybe it's a testament to WHICH brews you allow to age in a barrel? the RUM barreled ones really sucked, I thought (which worries me about The Bruery's rum barrel Black Tuesdays coming out next month.... RUM??? does rum really go with beer????), but this one does good! but overall, this is the best one from this brewery yet.

09-28-2013 00:31:03 | More by pkalix
DrDemento456

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Not much head to this just a 1/4 inch of head that settles to a mild lace ring. Color is very dark brown black and very stout like.
S - Some whiskey notes and nuts with vanilla and a touch of toffee sweetness.
T - Not the biggest fan of Irish whiskey but this is nice. Mild roast and chocolate flavors meets some burning whiskey and oak. Not very much sweetness which is surprising for this brewery but it kind of works.
M - Medium bodied could use a bit more slickness but goes down easy.

Overall Irish Whiskeys usually make me gag but this one aged in barrels is OK. Still I prefer cherry wood aged because I love sweetness.

09-21-2013 01:29:39 | More by DrDemento456
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours very dark brown with a thin tan head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of smoky peat with a hint of chocolate and some vanilla/oak. Nice enough, though it could be more robust.

The taste is of chocolate with mild coffee taste and roast. It has some earthy tones in the back. The oak adds vanilla with some whiskey notes. There is a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish. The whiskey cask adds sweetness to it, but there is enough roast and earthiness to keep it from being too sweet.

It could be creamier, but there is enough body to it to make it work well enough. It is smooth.

An interesting, unique, well-balanced, tasty brew. It grew on me quickly and I liked it more the more it progressed.

09-01-2013 19:57:48 | More by jwc215
greenmtn1111

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured into a glass goblet.

Pitch black with small, tan head on top. There’s no retention at all and little to no lacing on the glass. Dark roasted malts, milk chocolate, coffee, substantial sweetness on the nose. I can’t seem to detect any whiskey barrel in the aroma, however. Taste is sweet maltiness up front with bittersweet chocolate. Now you can taste the whiskey, although it’s not as forward as I thought it might be. There are bitter malts at the end with a fairly sweet finish. The mouthfeel is smooth but not as creamy as I like in a stout. This is a decent barrel-aged stout, but I think it could’ve benefited with more time in the whiskey barrels.

08-14-2013 02:22:19 | More by greenmtn1111
jucifer1818

3.84/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Deeply, deeply dark brown/red in color. almost appears black in poor lighting, but in better lighting a more dark-reddish color can be seen. when first poured it was almost 100% head, but the 2ed pour had almost no head.
curious.
4.25/5

smell: Honestly? the smell is VERY restrained. I dislike this. I enjoy the aroma of a beer almost as much as the taste, and not being able to properly enjoy it is a big let down. all I'm getting out of it is very slight fruityness.
2.5/5

taste: this is where the beer really shines. It has enough oak and whiskey character to let it work to its advantage but not too much to make it hard to drink. Think chewey maltyness in this brew. heavy dark fruit and dark caramel work well with the oaky/whiskey flavors.
just enough hops in the after taste to keep it from becoming cloyingly sweet
4.5/5

mouthfeel: on one hand, its heavy malty character is VERY nice...but on the other hand, its HUGE carbonation is a HUGE negative. maybe their attempt to bring more aroma out of a bland smelling brew
3.5/5

overall:
I was expecting a lot more from this beer, just from the labeling and what not, but it really didn't deliver to my HIGH expectations. but that does not make it a bad beer. I was just expecting world class stuff

really its taste is fairly world class, but with its poor aroma, I really cant give it a high rating
3.75/5

I think Ill enjoy my next 3 bottles, and see if my tastes change for each one, but after that I doubt Ill buy it again or order it at the bar.

08-06-2013 03:17:05 | More by jucifer1818
Libationguy

Nevada

4.29/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Black with amber hues. A dense brownish-cream head with moderate+ retention and nice lacing in the glass.

Really nicely balanced in the nose with bittersweet chocolate, cream, light roast coffee, mocha, filled out by a rich roasted maltiness and gentle hop notes in the background.

On the palate, the bittersweet chocolate continues with espresso and deep caramel notes with some very light peat and smokiness. The richness offsets bitterness in the finish.

A plush, creamy mouthfeel carries all the way through the palate.

Really well put together. The oak is very subtle in the beer and really only lends very faint background notes. It does integrate things nicely however. Wonderful balance and structure.

06-27-2013 04:54:22 | More by Libationguy
SmashPants

Australia

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle: embossed 330mL clear bottle with the standard Innis & Gunn label.

Appearance: pours dark brown with some ruby highlights against the light. A one-finger tan head hangs about for a good long while - great retention and lacing as it slowly drops over the entire session.

Aroma: not much nose as is typical of a stout - roast heavy malts with a touch of those vanilla and whiskey from the cask. Interesting, but a bit demure.

Taste: light chocolate with some peat and warming alcohol. I have to admit I didn't notice all too much of the vanilla and whiskey from the cask. Still, very enjoyable.

Aftertaste: Some bitterness comes through from the chocolate, and some toffee as well. Very nice.

Mouth feel: a very smooth stout - almost feels like a milk stout. Medium in body with a moderate- to- higher carbonation. Not sure if it wouldn't have been better with a little less carbonation.

Overall: first whiskey cask-aged beer I have had, and it hasn't disappointed. A very nice stout thanks to Innis & Gunn, but I'm not sure there was enough difference or added flavour from the cask to warrant the high price tag, since it is over AU$130-140 a case (2013).

06-16-2013 09:01:02 | More by SmashPants
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 330 ml. clear bottle. Sampled on June 8, 2013.

It pours dark brown with plenty of ruby red hues glowing in the glass. The head is about a finger thick and basically stays around for the whole session.

The aroma is sweet and malty, a tad smoked, but it also has a roasty feel to it along with a little wood. Hops are downplayed.

The body is medium.

The taste has plenty of sweet malts going on with a slightly roasted feel too. Overall it is fairly easy to drink and predictable. But it does not jump out as anything out of the ordinary.

06-09-2013 01:25:20 | More by puboflyons
JerzDevl2000

3.94/5  rDev +4%

Picked this up in Totowa last week, not having an Innis and Gunn beer in quite some time. I had never had an English Stout before and although it's not as dark or strong as the Irish ones that I've enjoyed, there was a lot to like here and the Whiskey could be felt in the smoothness of the beer, if not necessarily in the taste.

This had a dark brown pour to hit with just a little bit of light seeping through around the edges. Not a lot of head here but there was a good amount after the pour that quickly settled down and stuck to the sides of the glass as I worked my way through it. This almost had the appearance of a handcrafted soda that had gone just a hair flat, as the carbonation wasn't that strong here. There was a good amount of roasted barley and milk chocolate both in the nose and aroma, which combined with a nice, creamy mouthfeel and hints of lactose and vanilla. Only in the aftertaste could I feel the effects of the whiskey cask, as the spice and alcohol from it stuck around both in my mouth and esophagus. The warming effect was pleasing and easygoing at the same time and everything worked seamlessly together, as the carbonation led to the flavors not being too overpowering or lingering.

Hard to believe that this was 7.40% ABV as I didn't feel woozy until I had nearly polished this off. I give these guys credit for pushing the envelope on what beer can be and for making me realize that for all that I've enjoyed over the years, that there's so much out there that I haven't tried and haven't had access to (such as this style). It almost reminded me of an Irish Dry Stout crossed with a Milk Stout but this was "wetter" and "less sweet" and most of all, completely unoffensive. I love what these guys are capable of!

06-04-2013 07:04:28 | More by JerzDevl2000
cjgator3

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

11.2 oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark brownish black color with just a little hint of light coming through when held up to the light.

S- The aroma is dark roasted malts, vanilla and whiskey from the barrel aging.

T- The taste is sweet malt up front that is incredibly smooth with the whiskey and oaky flavors along with some warmth from the alcohol in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, this beer gets better and better as it warms in the glass so do not serve too cold.

05-12-2013 01:39:24 | More by cjgator3
CobyMangum

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The ruby tints are very nice -- in a stout they make for quite a nice looking beer. Mouthfeel is a high note. Creamy feel despite having less body than the American stouts I'm used to. Taste is a bit high on alcohol, considering it's only 7.4, and the whiskey characteristics don't come through enough for me. The cherry, bitter chocolate, and toffee in the profile are enjoyable. Decent overall, but I wish the barrel added more to the flavor -- I feel the burn of whiskey but don't really taste it.

04-28-2013 21:31:50 | More by CobyMangum
katan

Colorado

3.99/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

11.2 oz into a pint

A - Pours a dark brown to black color with a few amber highlights. Off colored head, very sticky with lots of lacing.

S - Roasted malts, chocolate lead the way. Lightly sweet, some funky barrel notes in the background.

T - Starts off lightly chocolately, sweet, and smooth. MId-stream gets the roast, turns balanced. In the finish i start to get the oaky flavors and some of the sour barrel funk. Aftertaste is somewhat yeasty.

M - Full bodied, moderate to light carbonation. Has the barrel or cask sense to it. A little sticky and sweet in the finish.

O/D - A very good and interesting beer. A little bit filling and the alcohol is fairly high, but manageable. Not overly barrel flavored, just a nice compliment.

04-27-2013 16:25:43 | More by katan
ToasterChef

Maine

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A cellar temperature bottle, listed as best by Dec 2013, is poured into a glass mug.

This si a very dark beer with a deep brown hue. A very large brown foam head fills the top half of my mug. Clinging and rising carbonation can been seen close to the walls of my glass, but the beer is opaque and I cannot see very deeply into the beer. As the head settles, spider-web lacing is left behind.

Chocolate malt and peat are the dominant aromas. Whiskey notes as small, but they do provide a bit of oak and warmth.

This is a very smooth stout. Whiskey flavors are present, but they aren't very strong. Big fans of barrel aged beers (those that taste like a shot of whiskey has been poured into the pint) will be disappointed with this beer. The whiskey notes are much more subtle. There is some roast and a touch of chocolate sweetness, but all the favors work well together.

Medium bodied, but the carbonation is high. There is some stickiness on my lips and in my mouth after swallowing.

This is an interesting stout. I don't believe I've every had a Scottish stout before, but I've certainly had my share of Irish whiskeys. And though the whiskey notes are light, I do like this beer. It is my second Innis & Gunn beer, and I've enjoyed both of them. If you are looking for a interesting European barrel-aged beer, I'd go looking for this one.

04-25-2013 00:00:43 | More by ToasterChef
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.09/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bottle: Poured a dark brown color ale with a medium dirty brown color head with medium retention and light lacing notes. Aroma is dominated by sweet caramelized notes with light whiskey notes. Taste is also dominated by sweet caramelized notes with a light whiskey touch which kind of round of the edges of the beer. Body is light with medium creamy texture and good carbonation. A bit of a lighter profile then I had expected with not as much whiskey notes as expected.

04-19-2013 22:31:05 | More by Phyl21ca