Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Aged Stout - Innis & Gunn

English Stout |  7.40% ABV

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 01-20-2012

Ratings: 559 | Reviews: 148
4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance – Dark brown in colour with a good frothy head that lasts well.

Smell – Gentle aroma of whiskey, dark fruits, caramel and sweet malt.

Taste – In terms of flavour this feels mild for a stout but it has real depth and character to it. Sweet when sipped and nippy when gulped this one has a lovely woody flavour with notes of coffee and a wonderful hint of the whiskey. There are also light notes of caramel and coco that tease the tongue and force you to ask if they are there at all and a little bit of spice develops into a tiny bitterness that linger well.

Mouthfeel – Light to medium in the mouth with great alcoholic warmth. Not at all overpowering just well balanced, pleasant and drinkable.

Overall – This is probably my favourite Stout. Shame it is only brewed in small batches which makes it hard to get in Northern Ireland, although that does make the pleasure of drinking it even greater as I always know it is a limited pleasure. My advice is purchase as much as you can when it is about and hide it away in the cellar for special occasions. On second thoughts it is probably a good job this is only brewed in small batches or I would move to Scotland and drink the lot before it left the yard. (But maybe that is just the Ulster Scots heritage talking.)

330ml bottle. Deep brown colour; tall, frothy, beige head which lasted well and left some nice lacing. Gentle aroma of whiskey, dark fruits, caramel and sweet malt. Gentle sweetness and a little bit of spice develops into a hint of bitterness. Light to medium palate and a suggestion of alcoholic warmth. Not aggressively assertive but pleasant and drinkable, nonetheless. Very similar to their rum offerings.

3.54/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A 330ml clear glass bottle with a BB of April 2014, so it's a bit out of date. Picked up a while back from a supermarket and stashed in a cupboard. Hopefully still in drinkable condition. As the name suggests, this is a Scottish stout aged in Irish whiskey casks.

Poured into a straight pint glass. A dark reddish-brown that appears virtually black in the glass. Yields a massive head of creamy light-brown foam that lasts for a while before steadily reducing to a surface layer. Some lacing. Aroma of dark malt with hints of roasted grain, cocoa, a hint of coffee, warming whiskey notes, woodiness and a touch of booze in the background. Rather nice.

Tastes of dark malt with a significant whiskey character and a rounded, boozy finish. Notes of mild roasted malt, whiskey, wood, warming alcohol, brown sugar, faint caramel, a hint of chocolate and faint stewed leaves. Quite sweet, followed by a subtle bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth and tingly, with spritzy carbonation and an insubstantial body for the style. Lightly astringent, accompanied by an aftertaste of boozy whiskey notes, mild roasted malt, wood and stewed leaves.

Pretty good - a solid take on the style. Looks alright, while the aroma and flavour are rich with alcoholic whiskey and dark malt character. Body is a shade too thin. A decent brew; the only problem is that it comes across as over-polished (like many I&G beers). Could be enhanced by bottle conditioning, but I won't hold my breath. That said, it's worth sampling if you come across it.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours very dark with a decent head. Smells pretty good. Smell a little hint of whiskey. Not overpowering. Tastes pretty good. Less stout than what I thought it would from the appearance. Just like the smell a little whiskey aftertaste. I like this beer. I would drink it again.

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Purchased from one of the local cigar lounges.

A: Almost pitch black with decent head and retention.

S: Malt forward with a hit of the whiskey.

T: Malt and coffee with some sweetness.

M: Crisp. More carbonation than I would expect from a beer of this style. Maybe a tad thin.

O: Solid beer. Not my favorite of the style but still good.

2.97/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

BBE Dec 14

Appearance: Dark, almost no light coming through. Thick-ish, tan head.

Aroma: Irish whiskey, booze, dried mint skunk, cocoa, treacle(molasses), some dark chocolate, faint oak. Upfront skunk though, maybe due to the clear glass bottle.

Taste: Not as good as the aroma. Tastes ok, malt and booze.

Mouthfeel: lighter bodied than you would expect with tons of carbonation.

Overall: I bet this is outstanding on draft, would be a great St. Patty's Day brew. I just don't under stand the clear bottle on this one. Not a bad beer at all, just think it could be more.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very nice well balanced stout with a hint of whiskey in the background.

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

"BBE (?)" Dec. 14

Poured from the 11.2 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams nonick.

a: Black with clear ruby highlights when seen through light. Two inch tall tan head receded to fairly even surface foam and dense lacing.

s: Booze.

t: Very smooth texture with whiskey flavor, as expected, different from their Rum Cask Aged. The whiskey flavor dominates aroma and taste, so that there is no smoky or little if any coffee or chocolate stout flavor in evidence. Throat burn despite the moderate 7.4% ABV.

m: Moderate, very silky smooth.

o: An excellent variety of I&G cask aged brews. Their Rum Cask Aged is one of my top go-to's for flavor when I want beer that tastes like liquor. This one would not be very far behind, in fact might be ahead due to its silky mouthfeel.

3.99/5  rDev +4.7%

11.2 ounce bottle, stamp on it says BBE Dec 14. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with about a half inch tan head. The head sticks around a while, and there's a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, Irish whiskey, and some dark fruit and coffee. It tastes like roasted malt, Irish whiskey, bittersweet chocolate, oak/wood, coffee, dark fruit (cherries), peat, and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy and coating with moderate carbonation. I liked this brew, it's not heavy on the Irish whiskey and I think it meshes well with the stout. I'd buy this again. $11.99 a 4-pack.

3.42/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This thing looks like a Coke or Dr. Pepper when it hits the glass. Carbonation is of course a bit tighter and produces a head with pretty decent retention. not much lace to speak of.

Smells, well, skunky. It's really a shame they still insist on bottling these in clear bottles, because I actually had one of these on draft last night and it smelled fine -- nothing remarkable, but nothing off-putting either. Aside from the generic lager-type skunkiness, it smells sweet, with a faint whiff of oaky vanilla.

Initially, it just tastes kind of sweet and skunky too. Like a Newcastle with faint roasty notes. Fortunately, the flavor does develop a bit past that. Vanilla, caramel and tobacco come in and the roasty notes deepen. Very clean flavor profile, as my buddy remarked last night. All of the flavors are very subtle and it would be easy to chug one of these, only tasting the bland "Newcastle brown" side of things, and not what lies deeper.

Mouthfeel is clean, soft, and a little on the light side, especially considering that this site lists it as a stout. I probably wouldn't call it a stout, but a brown ale. The roasty finish is moderately long, which is nice. There;s also a faint whiskey tingle at the back of the throat.

Overall, I'm a bit underwhelmed by this beer and I can tell you it's certainly better experienced on tap. That said, you could do worse with an English brown ale (ahem, Newcastle).

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

330 mL bottle from the LCBO, served slightly chilled. This has been my biggest (re: only) I&G want for quite a while, so I'm glad I snagged a bottle before stock ran out again.

Pours an opaque mahogany colour with some crimson highlights, topped with one finger of dense, creamy, light tan-coloured head. Good retention, with a nice swath of lacing left clinging to the glass as it slowly recedes. While the usual 1-2 punch of oak and vanilla shared amongst all I&G barrel-aged beers is front and center, this one has some nice accents of roasted malts, treacle and whiskey. No objections here.

It has been a while since I've enjoyed a nice, strong, simple stout like this. Caramel hits you first, in addition to raisin and figgy fruit notes. The roasted malt character then begins to dominate, followed by some molasses sweetness - taken along with the trademark I&G vanilla/oak, it's almost a little too rich for my tastes. Some light coffee roast finishes it off, with a disappointingly weak note of whiskey on the tail end. Medium-bodied; a little light in the mouth considering the abv, although you don't need to look very hard to detect the alcohol itself. A minor complaint, though - this is still a solid, enjoyable strong ale.

Final Grade: 3.97, a B+. Innis & Gunn's Irish Whiskey Cask is definitely one of their tastier brews, and at $3.25 a bottle it's absolutely a better deal than many of their other rotating offerings (I'm looking at you, bottles-in-a-carton). I'm not sure I like this more than their flagship oaked ale, but I'd be happy with either one in my glass. Worth a look, at least - not the most complex wood-aged ale by any means, but a good, affordable tutorial to the style.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Almost black in color when poured into a glass.
Tan head.
Not much lacing.

Smells pretty good. It has a sweet smell of vanilla and a trace of whiskey.

Tastes like it smells. Sweet roasted malts. I get some wood and a trace of whiskey on the finish.

It actually goes down smooth. Not harsh like Irish whiskey.

This is a very good and interesting beer.

Definitely worth a try.

3.49/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

dark brown ruby red hue, dark head. smell has some faint whiskey but the flavor has a lot more. and it's smooth with a spicy note to balance the sweetness of whiskey. I enjoy it but A.) not sessionable for me and B.) needs innis glassware; regular pint glass threw off balance

4.56/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Innes & Gunn has done it again. Their Irish Whiskey Cask beer is a very good tasting beer; it has a definite hint of Irish Whiskey aroma and taste. It`s not too strong, heavy or filling; certainly a great beer to enjoy St Patrick`s Day festivities.
Well done Innes & Gunn..

3.99/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A scottish beer matured in Irish Whiskey barrels, hmmmm I'm very interested. I am a bit biased as I am from the Emerald Isle but Irish Whiskey gets a bit of a bad rep as it can be a bit sweet and is usually blended etc but there are some great small producers popping up. Anyway here goes....

A - Deep brown. Fine head which dissipates quickly.

S - Not too intense. Fresh with aromas of sweet tobacco, coffee, caramel and dried fruit, raisins. Dark malt. Bit of confected cherry sweets. Ginger.

T - Expected something a bit more concentrated but it is nice and refreshing. Dark malts, cherry, mocha, chocolate, sweet coffee. Hints of vanilla and pizza dough.

M - Not full bodied, much more refreshing and light. Good carbonation level.

O - Not overly fussed. Its a refreshing style porter and I could drink more. However I was expecting a bit more concentration of flavours in the taste and a more viscous mouthfeel. Nice but not amazing.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I love Innis and Gunn. It was the first beer I really liked and got me into good beer in the first place so I might be a little biased. The color is a very dark hazel with a coffee colored head that has some legs. The smell is toasty but you can smell a little of the wood too. The taste is great, everything I've come to love from Innis and Gunn. Smooth, rich, and just a fantastically crisp finish. Coats your mouth but doesn't leave a lingering aftertaste. Absolutely loved it and would definitely recommend.

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This pours completely black with a chocolate colored head of foam that fell quickly but left lace to look at. Nose is the light sweet whiskey. Floral and with a bit of oak. Cut grass and vanilla cream. Very inviting. A dusting of cocoa. Taste follows the nose. The malt is roasty and smooth. Has a very creamy mouthfeel but very thin and soft carbonation. The whiskey flavor is light and sweet while the cocoa deepens it. The vanilla lingers in the aftertaste just a bit as the alcohol warms. There is a subtle peat that leaves with a touch of smoke.

This one is easy to drink and terribly pleasant. Has long finish just like irish whiskey and hints at honey. The clear bottle did not do it any harm as far as I can tell but it is a seasonal so I bought it pretty early after it hit the shelf.

4.19/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark, like a stout should be. I could care less about appearance, so unless it's really beautiful or really ugly, it will get the average of the other ratings. Who drinks a beer for appearance anyway?

S - Malty, some sweetness, not a strong smell. I can taste this a lot more than I can smell it.

T - Malty, a little bit of sweetness, I think I can taste the oak too, which gives it a little bit of a scotch flavor.

M - Malty and sweet, very solid and substantial as a stout should be, pretty light and smooth for 7.4%.

O - I'm an IPA guy, but this is an incredible stout. I might prefer it to be a little drier, but it is much easier to have a sub-5% beer be dry than a 7.4% beer. I would definitely choose this over Guiness though as it it everything a stout should be and has some great oak notes as well.

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

right . . . not much head at all... super dark/black, foamy remnants on top. smells very nice, though. I remember not liking the other innis & guns I tried. one was WAY TOO barrel-ly and nauseating, but this one smells very nice. I wonder if it's because it's a stout first? i'll have to check my other reviews... yeah they were scotch ales.... let's see how this one turns out . . . . but the smell is very malty and stout-like and I can breathe this stuff in for awhile...
taste is much MUCH better than I remember the others I tried tasting like. this is good! very stout-like. a little bit of chalkiness, some bitter chocolate, some bourbon/whiskey in the back, a little vanilla, and NOT thick and syrup-y like so many other stouts. barrel-aged or not.... a little too sweet for my preference, but I can see this being their flagship brew. wonder why it took so long for Total Wine to get this one??? maybe it's a testament to WHICH brews you allow to age in a barrel? the RUM barreled ones really sucked, I thought (which worries me about The Bruery's rum barrel Black Tuesdays coming out next month.... RUM??? does rum really go with beer????), but this one does good! but overall, this is the best one from this brewery yet.

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Not much head to this just a 1/4 inch of head that settles to a mild lace ring. Color is very dark brown black and very stout like.
S - Some whiskey notes and nuts with vanilla and a touch of toffee sweetness.
T - Not the biggest fan of Irish whiskey but this is nice. Mild roast and chocolate flavors meets some burning whiskey and oak. Not very much sweetness which is surprising for this brewery but it kind of works.
M - Medium bodied could use a bit more slickness but goes down easy.

Overall Irish Whiskeys usually make me gag but this one aged in barrels is OK. Still I prefer cherry wood aged because I love sweetness.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours very dark brown with a thin tan head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of smoky peat with a hint of chocolate and some vanilla/oak. Nice enough, though it could be more robust.

The taste is of chocolate with mild coffee taste and roast. It has some earthy tones in the back. The oak adds vanilla with some whiskey notes. There is a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish. The whiskey cask adds sweetness to it, but there is enough roast and earthiness to keep it from being too sweet.

It could be creamier, but there is enough body to it to make it work well enough. It is smooth.

An interesting, unique, well-balanced, tasty brew. It grew on me quickly and I liked it more the more it progressed.

3.37/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a glass goblet.

Pitch black with small, tan head on top. There’s no retention at all and little to no lacing on the glass. Dark roasted malts, milk chocolate, coffee, substantial sweetness on the nose. I can’t seem to detect any whiskey barrel in the aroma, however. Taste is sweet maltiness up front with bittersweet chocolate. Now you can taste the whiskey, although it’s not as forward as I thought it might be. There are bitter malts at the end with a fairly sweet finish. The mouthfeel is smooth but not as creamy as I like in a stout. This is a decent barrel-aged stout, but I think it could’ve benefited with more time in the whiskey barrels.

3.96/5  rDev +3.9%

Labelled as Irish Whiskey Finish for Canadian markets. Also aged 60 days so i'm assuming this is the same beer. 330 ml bottle purchased from local LCBO for $3.50 CDN. Served cool into a pint glass.

Appearance - Very dark brown in color with some mahogany hues. Virtually no head was poured although a small swirl of foam does linger on top.

Smell - Signature Innis & Gunn Vanilla and oak notes blended nicely with a solid whiskey base. Some oak, some earth and a butterscotch note in there too.

Taste - Quite delicious with the oak and whiskey flavors shining, with just enough Vanilla and oak in the background to let you know who made this. Light yet filling and satisfying.

Mouthfeel - Lacking on carbonation and a thinner body than you would expect, but it works just right. Alcohol is imperceptible.

Overall - One of the best products I've had from Innis & Gunn and I'm a pretty big fan. Great winter beer.

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Deeply, deeply dark brown/red in color. almost appears black in poor lighting, but in better lighting a more dark-reddish color can be seen. when first poured it was almost 100% head, but the 2ed pour had almost no head.
curious.
4.25/5

smell: Honestly? the smell is VERY restrained. I dislike this. I enjoy the aroma of a beer almost as much as the taste, and not being able to properly enjoy it is a big let down. all I'm getting out of it is very slight fruityness.
2.5/5

taste: this is where the beer really shines. It has enough oak and whiskey character to let it work to its advantage but not too much to make it hard to drink. Think chewey maltyness in this brew. heavy dark fruit and dark caramel work well with the oaky/whiskey flavors.
just enough hops in the after taste to keep it from becoming cloyingly sweet
4.5/5

mouthfeel: on one hand, its heavy malty character is VERY nice...but on the other hand, its HUGE carbonation is a HUGE negative. maybe their attempt to bring more aroma out of a bland smelling brew
3.5/5

overall:
I was expecting a lot more from this beer, just from the labeling and what not, but it really didn't deliver to my HIGH expectations. but that does not make it a bad beer. I was just expecting world class stuff

really its taste is fairly world class, but with its poor aroma, I really cant give it a high rating
3.75/5

I think Ill enjoy my next 3 bottles, and see if my tastes change for each one, but after that I doubt Ill buy it again or order it at the bar.

4.29/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Black with amber hues. A dense brownish-cream head with moderate+ retention and nice lacing in the glass.

Really nicely balanced in the nose with bittersweet chocolate, cream, light roast coffee, mocha, filled out by a rich roasted maltiness and gentle hop notes in the background.

On the palate, the bittersweet chocolate continues with espresso and deep caramel notes with some very light peat and smokiness. The richness offsets bitterness in the finish.

A plush, creamy mouthfeel carries all the way through the palate.

Really well put together. The oak is very subtle in the beer and really only lends very faint background notes. It does integrate things nicely however. Wonderful balance and structure.

Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Aged Stout from Innis & Gunn