Belgian White - OPA-OPA Steakhouse & Brewery

OPA-OPA Steakhouse & Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: fitzy84 on 05-28-2008)
3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Had lunch at O'Connor's in Worcester on Monday, and this was my second beer of the afternoon. Served in a standard pint glass. Very bright yellow color, bordering on orange, with an overly hazy body. Smell was definitely citrus and cloves. Flavor was nice and refreshing, and Opa certainly created a nice example of a witbier. Only issues with this beer was this it was too sticky on the palate, and it was a bit too sweet. I wish it was a bit more tart and crisp. Other than that, a nice witbier for lovers of this Belgian style.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Pours a hazy orange. Big clean white head. Plenty of carbonation.

S: A great big beautiful Belgian Stink! Lot of yeast - citric tones and spice.

T: Rich, and smooth with a sour and almost wine-like tart finish.

M: a full mouth feel - not overly heavy but rich and creamy.

D: I could drink this all night or until you rolled me out of the bar. If you like Belgian beers, you are going to love this.

This is exactly what you hope for when you buy a Belgian Wit, but never seem to get. You almost don't expect this when you get a wit from an American brewer. But, God bless Opa-Opa, they made a great big stinky tasty Belgian beer!

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Obtained a growler; #2 in the Alpha Omega series.

Pours a cloudy golden color with a white head and good carbonation. Smells slightly citrusy with hints of orange. Taste has distinct orange with hints of spice. Slightly creamy mouth feel. Has a clean, dry finish.

Overall, a very drinkable, refreshing beer for the season.

3.98/5  rDev +7%

I had this on tap at Bukowski's in Boston. I asked the bartender, what's an "OPA-OPA"? And he replied, "It's an OPA-OPA". Hmmm. I didn't know if I needed a password or a secret handshake. Undaunted, I said I'd try it. The appearance alone told me what it was, and the aroma backed that up. Typical Belgian-style white. The flavor followed suit. It was well-brewed, and well-balanced with just the right amount of body, carbonation, bitterness, and malt/wheat and fruit & spice character. I was in the mood and had another. Had I known what it was to begin with I'd have ordered it without hesitation. And now that I've tasted it, I'd certainly order it again. I'm looking forward to trying more "OPA-OPA's" in the future.

3.28/5  rDev -11.8%

A seasonal drink only served at Opa-Opa at The Brewmasters Tavern. But I got a sampling of it at the Table and Vine tasting from a growler. The drink settled with a murky, yellow appearance with slight lacing. The aromas were an odd mix between a sweet hoppiness but then a sort of bitter grassy smell. The taste had an explicitly bitter taste, going toward the orange flavors with some yeasty touches. Low carbonation helped the flavors become more specific, though a bit more carbonation would not have hurt. Overall, a decent drink.

Belgian White from OPA-OPA Steakhouse & Brewery