2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

R2K (Bourbon Barrel-aged Barleywine) - OPA-OPA Steakhouse & Brewery

R2K (Bourbon Barrel-aged Barleywine)
No picture uploaded.

OPA-OPA Steakhouse & Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Barleywine |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ppoitras on 11-21-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4 | Reviews: 3 | Show All Ratings:
Massbmx

2.8/5  rDev -25.1%

Bought at yankee spirits and saw there weren't many reviews so I figured I'd make it my first. Growler poured into my Hill Farmstead snifter.

A: Reddish orange with minimal off white head that produced some nice lacing.

S: Starts out slightly sweet but then gets boozy, I get a nail polish type smell, wasn't a fan.

T: Like the smell I get lots of sweetness at first, caramel and slight nutty flavors followed by some booziness and wood and a little biterness at the end.

M: A little thin for the style IMO, medium carbonation

Overall not bad but not great, the smell was very off putting for me. I think it would be better a little thicker mouthfeel and more hoppyness.

03-24-2012 01:16:03 | More by Massbmx
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Big thanks goes out to BRoss242 for sharing this one! Served from growler into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a light reddish orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sugar, wood, sweet alcohol, and subtle sour. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, sugar, subtle sour, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. The flavor and aroma was a little off-putting on this one. Not sure what barrels these were in, but I don't think it worked to their advantage. Worth trying to tick it, but that is about it.

03-17-2012 14:27:03 | More by thagr81us
ppoitras

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Screw-top growler bought from the cooler at Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA. Hangtag says this brew was specially brewed for them.

First stein (old Pioneer #42, circa 2008) pours with a 3/4" tan head, over the slightly cloudy orangey chestnut brew. Head holds on strong, with leggy and lasting lace. Aroma is sweet,with a light bourbon character.

Taste starts sweet, goes nutty in the middle, hops comes on through the close, where we find the bourbon lingering coupled with some boozy warmth. All comes comes together quite nicely. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth, and drinkability is excellent as well. Great stuff, get if you can.

11-21-2011 22:28:46 | More by ppoitras
R2K (Bourbon Barrel-aged Barleywine) from OPA-OPA Steakhouse & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.