Freestyle Wheat Beer - Independence Brewing Co.

Freestyle Wheat BeerFreestyle Wheat Beer

Independence Brewing Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Xadoor on 10-17-2004)

greenspointexas, Dec 14, 2013

Hopmodium, May 25, 2012

drummermattie02, Dec 21, 2011

duff247, Dec 18, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +21.3%

side glass lace, good cloudy appearence, lots of carbonation. Very light, lots of yeast with a touch of some lemon maybe, light in aromas, not in overall strength of smell. Very very nice, light palate with a bigtime yeast presence. Lots of grain with a hint of lemon or some other kind of bitter hops, great flavors. One of the best haefe flavor profiles I have tasted. Crisp, clean. very nice carbonation. Great overall feel.

mikesgroove, Dec 11, 2011

jheezee, Dec 08, 2011

ATXRyan, Nov 17, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -13.1%

Drank straight out of hte bottle.(3.0 Appearance should be fair)

Smell-Light wheat aroma, some sweetness

Taste-Wheat up front with a sweet middle and a slightly bitter finish. Kinda boring. Wheats aren't my thing, but I've had some decent ones, this ones kind of dull, and got old real fast

Mouthfeel-Smooth and Drinkable. Light bodied, carbonation sneaks up on you.

Overall-Love to support texas beers, and this beer is not the worst I've had. However I like to try and review to style, and this below average.

SWMeyer4141, Jul 17, 2011
3.2/5  rDev 0%

I drank this from an hexagonal glass...

The color is hazy pale gold with a thin filmy white head that was very small. It smells of lemon, wheat and butterscotch, the aroma is very light. The taste is kind of weak, I picked up some sour wheat and lemon, that's about it. I thought this beer was slightly metallic, light bodied, low carbonation, and a dry finish. I thought this was a very mediocre example of a wheat beer, it was just lacking flavor.

JMad, Jul 05, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -1.6%

Had a bottle after a long bike ride and while it was a satisfying lawnmower beer, it was quite simple and plain. There was a sweet pale wheat bread flavor with a vaguely fruity yeast character that only seemed to muddle things up. Drinkable but uninspiring.

tempest, Feb 24, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -0.6%

On tap into a pint glass.

A - Fairly traditional/expected unfiltered wheat beer appearance - yellow and hazy. Practically no head and no lacing.

S - yeasty/toasty malts

T - very subdued; a few sour fruit overtones resolving into a significant but generic toasty malt.

M - light and crisp, but lacking a bit of oomph

D - Quite drinkable due to its lightness and non-specific character, but that's also a fairly big drawback

A so-so beer; not something I'd have again given a range of choice.

DoktorZee, Feb 23, 2011
1.8/5  rDev -43.8%

Appearance - Light golden color. Did not pour with any head, seems I got a bad bottle, one without much carbonation.

Smell - This may not be saying much, due to the fact that I have a below average sense of smell, but I could not smell anything, which is usually not the case, and I do not believe anything but the beer itself was hampering me smelling it.

Taste - Much like the smell, I did not find must as far as taste goes here. I could tell it was a wheat beer, but just barely, I may have gotten a bad 6-pack, which makes me want to stay away from this brand in the future.

Mouthfeel - Flat and extremely watery, it was hard to tell I was drinking beer at all.

Drinkability - I would not have another. Very bland, even for a light wheat beer.

bisonkron, Jan 14, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +15%

Poured In: Snifter
Attained through a trade (Thanks Neil!)

Appearance: The pour unleashes 4 fingers of frothy head with fairly good retention. The color is a golden wheat and sunshine straw. The beer has been filtered as it's quite clear which I wasn't expecting. There's a few splashes of lace on the side of the glass that look quite fragile.

Smell: The nose has a touch of spice including pepper and clove, but mostly grains from the wheat.

Taste: Grains from the wheat start off the tasting with some clove and pepper coming through near the end. The bitterness seems a tad above the normal wheat beer.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, carbonation is right for the style. I enjoyed it after it sat for a bit so the carbonation could die down.

Drinkability: I believe this is my first Independence beer, but there's more to come. This was a very drinkable beer, seems like a low ABV.

Ek0nomik, Oct 24, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Provided to me by a BA who shall remain nameless to protect his identity. Thanks, unnamed BA.

A - Gold with a scant white cap and no lace. Lots of flecks of sediment floating around in this otherwise translucent brew. But that is not all: the label is insane. I actually can't believe it passed regulatory muster; it shows a shirtless teenage boy frolicking in the pool, not exactly appropriate booze-marketing fodder. This is serious insane. Why did they want this label? And who the hell made this 'art'? Some say they've only got three things in Texas... judging strictly by this label I would say that this brewery seems to have at least two of them.

S - Cheap, sweaty and lemony.

T - To quote Ben, who is sharing this with me. "This is what I remember beer tasting like when I was six years old and I took a sip of my Dad's beer... It has all of the elements that you usually cannot find in a craft beer."

M - Uggghhh. But refreshing.

D - Spectacular in its ineptitude, from the ultra-bizarre label to the look and finally the taste. But it is refreshing.

ktrillionaire, Jul 26, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a great, great summertime beer. Prominent toasty malt and just enough sweetness. This is a very balanced and refreshing brew. It's not complex, and I'm not complaining. Drinkability is superb. I've only ever had it straight from the bottle, so I can't comment on appearance.

jzm2500, Jul 06, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +13.4%

12oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: cloudy gold with a white head that died within seconds of pouring.

S: Citrus, other fruit (apples, pears), and wheat funk. If the head had lasted longer than 10 seconds, I might have more to say.

T/M: Wheat malt, low bitterness; apple- and pear-like fruitiness is up front and easy to miss. Slight pale malt sweetness and a citric note in the middle. Carbonation is present but not heavy. Was expecting more carbonation and more of a head. Finishes with wheat twang.

D: Highly drinkable, even without proper carbonation levels.

MurphyMacManus, Jun 11, 2010
Freestyle Wheat Beer from Independence Brewing Co.