Mandarin Saison - Independence Brewing Co.

Mandarin Saison
No picture.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Independence Brewing Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: champ103 on 11-05-2010

4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

On tap at the Fort Worth Flying Saucer.

The beer pours a cloudy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is full of orange citrus notes with some wheat and Belgian yeast notes mixed in. A very juicy smelling saison. The flavor is also very nice. I get a lot of orange juice notes, with some yeast, wheat, pepper and coriander mixed in. The alcohol is very well hidden and the beer is very refreshing and very easy to drink. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

I had this on-tap at Flying Saucer here in Austin.

It had a darker hue than i expected from a beer in this style. It definitely had more unfiltered body with fairly dark yellow/copper color.

For me the taste was good, but there's one element that seems to be missing. That's the mandarin. I'm not so sure I could even taste that being present in the beer. I did seem to pick up some spices coming through with some citrus notes. Is that the mandarin? Maybe, but it's not readily apparent to me. The flavor profile does taste refreshing and clean on my palate.

I could see myself drinking this again, but I don't think it's the best example of this style, though. I thought other saison beers such as Hennepin and Picnic Ants were better. It's something I'll have to revisit if Independence continue to brew this.

2.56/5  rDev -27.3%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston. This is advertised as a new beer from Independence. I think it is, and am adding it accordingly. Though it could be a repackaged version of their regular saison. If someone knows better, please report an update. For now here is my review.

A: Pours a dull hazy orange color. A one finger white head forms, but recedes to nothing in a second. Almost no lace is left behind.
S: Dank, musky, wet sock kind of aroma. Cereal and grain. Some citrus, but very light.
T: Follows the nose. Dank and musky. Cereal and grain. Light citrus, but nothing else. Not a Saison in the least, and disappointing.
M/D: A light to medium body. Kind of thin overall. Not hard to drink, but not something I am coming back to.

Wait, was there suppose to be Mandarin here? Again, Independence sucks. Nothing here to recommend. I wish I could enjoy some of their beers, but they are not very good IMO.

Mandarin Saison from Independence Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.