Wailing Wench - Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.

Wailing WenchWailing Wench

Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd. visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HappyHourHero on 10-23-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wailing Wench Alström Bros

TurnX, Jul 13, 2012

endingcredits, Dec 31, 2012

cgise22, Nov 18, 2011

rab53, Dec 02, 2011

pauljunk, Nov 18, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +23.7%

It's difficult to be subjective when it comes to reviewing my favorite beer from my favorite brewery, but I'll try my best. Currently on tap in a 5 gallon keg at home in my kegerator. Pours a gorgeous ruby color with hints of amber, very clear. Thick off-white head with lots of lacing. Aroma is intensely citrusy, again a combination of the hops (largely centenial I believe) and the ringwood yeast used at this brewery. Gentle round malt sweet in the beginning with an oily finish. Aftertaste again of citrus and hops with a nice crispness. Beautifully balanced beer that begs to be drank again and again, highly recommended!

TheBCrew, Jan 12, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

"Consumed" at Alternative Brews, Buffalo

Foam Factor: Deep amber red tint. Nice pour with lacing on glass. Retained white head throughout the 15-20 minutes that it took me to finish a pint. This turned out to be a mistake as the evening ended early. Very early.

Skunk Factor: Deep and full hop and something almost citrus detected. Big and complex. After one, my nose told me that it was leaving before anything ugly happened. This statement was realized later.

Tongueland: I loved the taste of this so much that I didn't even order anything else. After 3 of these, my tongue mysteriously disappeared. I found my tongue at the end of the night attempting to drink straight from the tap. Bad tongue.

Gurgling factor: We need a constitutional ammendment that proclaims Wailing Wench to be used for mouthwash. Worker productivity would surely increase and corporations would not locate overseas. In addition, water coolers would be replaced in favor of wailing wench coolers. The work week would become 7 days.

Bender Factor: I was prewarned about this beer. Somehow, my cerebral prefrontal cortex did not understand that this beer is so good, it is dangerous. Makes one act like Rodney Dangerfield. WW rendered me unable to speak a complete sentence. I almost fell off my barstool. Ended up passing out on kitchen floor.

Wailing wench, I am in love with you, you naughty and nasty girl.

wailingwench, Apr 28, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +22%

22 fl oz brown bomber; served in a snifter.

Pours a mahogany/ruby-highlighted, russet-caramel in color. Porous and thick, inch-high tan head with great retention. Walls of sticky lacing with spots around the remainder of the snifter.

Honey and vanilla tones of sweetness that engulf a tropical fruit flavor: melon, honeydew. Slight tones of citrus hops. Hints of warming, creamy bourbon.

Vanilla and honey-filled caramel and mild toffee sweetness. The hops are light, giving tropical fruit flavors and a touch of citrus. The bitterness is full and is joined by a swarming cognac-like alcohol presence.

A light, medium bodied; smooth and remarkably balanced with the flavor dynamic.

A dynamic and and flavorful Old Ale/Double IPA. My favorite Middle Ages offering and one of my favorites from any American brewery.

NEhophead, Jul 04, 2007

22 oz bomber served in a pint glass

What a good looking brew, clear deep amber color with a big tan head leaving nice lacing behind.

The smell is very "hopped up" for a beer of this style and color, I wanted to snort this beer. PIne and citrus aromas abound with a hint of malt/alcohol.

Most strong ales taste 'strong', but not this one!
I love the taste, completely balanced, aggresively hoppy up front, but then you can taste sweet malts, finish is a smooth warming, not an overpowering alcohol taste, which is a very good thing.

Medium bodied, smooth drinking, doesn't attack the palate with too much of anything. Even my burps taste good!

Very drinkable, I could drink this all night, but the 8% abv might have me trying to score with the chick on the label.

JoeyBeerBelly, Apr 12, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +22%

HUGE ON HOPS, this one promises hops right on the bottle and delivers a truck load, and for those of you who like carmel malt, you wont be disapointed, the 8% alcohoal is hiden well. this one makes me happy that i have taste buds. if you can get one of these take it!

orcasteve, Aug 13, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +20.7%

WOW...
Regular wailing Wench is great...but this was a cask wench I had...
Appearance...Nice hazy creamy dark nutty brown with nice tan head...good retention and lacing...
Smell...Maltand piney hops mix well...but a little muted (otherwise it would have been higher)...
Taste...what can I say...superb...PERFECT balance of big hop flavor with just the right maltiness...and for 9.0% there is no alcohol taste to ruin this beautiful flavor mixture...
Mouthfeel is perfectly creamy with an added warming affect that kicks in after each sip...
Drinkability...My wife had to cut me off of the casked wench because we were late for a christmas party...I could drink this forever...
Wench beats the Bastard anyday...great brew...

stegmakk, Dec 28, 2003

ABokononist, Jul 16, 2012

Eweimer1, Jan 09, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

i had this at the connecticut real ale festival and i think it was the best beer their! hops hops hops but not overtly bitter great hop taste, hop aroma, and hop finish . some said that it was amarillo but i don't know that as fact.
hats of to tim butler and middle ages brewery for brewing a big hoppy beer thats not just about being bitter!

beerman599, Jan 28, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

Have you ever been in love? Do you know what true love feels like? I do. I have fallen deeply in love with a Wailing Wench. Her beauty, unmatched on the surface is much more than skin deep. A soft tan pillow of foam sits atop a beer, deep red amber in colour. She is ravashing in her pint glass. She has the most perfect smell, soft, fruity and piney.
I knew then I was falling in love.
She kissed me deeply and passionately. I can still taste her hops dancing on my toungue. The wonderful pine and fruity tastes blend in my mouth for the perfect flavour. A perfect blend of hops and malts leave nothing to be desired except more.
I am in love. Her name is Wailing Wench.

CBFanWish, Dec 13, 2003
4.63/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance is amber with a nice foam with good color. Smell has the right blend of hops and malt. This beer has nice mix of hops and malt that is felt on the tongue. Mouthfeel is good there is a slight lingering, but nothing that take away from the taste. Overall this is a fridge worthy beer. Get some and have a few peanuts and enjoy. Oh have this with some Old Bay Wings, you will not regret that.

barleyroad, Jan 05, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

I've enjoyed the Wench many, many times but have never reviewed, so here goes...

22oz bomber pours a chestnut brown that shows lots of ruby hues in the light. Huge frothy beige head retains exceptionally well and leaves a lot of stick. Smell is semi-sweet and super hoppy. Big floral hoppy nose, also a bit of citrus. Awesome.

Taste is also really hoppy but is superbly balanced by some cake-like sweet malt. The juicy citrus and floral hops dominate for the most part, though, leaving a little bit of bitterness in this medium to full bodied brew. Taste is just magnificent, and the mouthfeel is slick and creamy from all those hop oils. So smooth, as well.

This is a beer that really doesn't fit a standard "style," and as such probably throws some people off who don't know what they're getting into. It's a phenomenal beer if you like hops, but if you don't, treat it as you'd treat an IPA.

number1bum, Jun 05, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

I picked up this beer at the Hannaford grocery store near five corners (Vails Gate, NY).

Poured an amazing DARK crimson/amber. Gorgeous, unique color. Features a beautiful head that sticks around for a nice while.

On the first sip: hops--more than DfH 120 IPA. Hops, hops, hops.

On the 4th to last sip: sweet, hoppy goodness.

Soft, thick, friendly mouthfeel.

Beneath the (cascade?) hops, I detect vanilla and fruit (citrus?).

A much better beer than the first sip indicated. A solid brew.

pjohnston007, Dec 23, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

Many thanks to HappyHourHero for getting the ball rolling on this incredible brew... and by the way, his review is right on the money.
Appearance: Rich ruby/brown with a full, tan Middle Ages head.
Smell: Mega hops, yet also quite malty... outstanding, IPA +++
Taste: Perfect balance of huge hops, huge malt, and a loving alcohol warmth. As I've said, this is a BIG beer, but with a very well controlled intensity.
Mouthfeel is huge, chewy and an absolute delight...balance, balance, balance.
Drinkability... I finished off a whole growler over about a 2 1/2 hour period and was left a little buzzed, but wanting more. This is a must try...an outstanding example of the Imperial IPA style. More than holds it's own against Rogue I2PA...looking forward to comparing to Dreadnaught.
My understanding is that this brew has a limited availability.

DagFishHead, Oct 24, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

First thoughts: Wow. As in WOW! Lots of beautiful hops.
Second thoughts: Hmmmm, it can't sustain itself, it'll destroy the palate.
Final thoughts: It holds up. It changes as the palate dulls, but in the end the combination of deeply caramelized malt, grassy/minty/piney/floral/citrusy hops, and buttery yeast is really nice. I drank a whole bomber and loved it straight through!

Middle Ages Wailing Wench pours a clear, deep-chestnut body with a crimson-orange glow. Here and there highlights tend towards gold, but for the most part it's almost headed to becoming a dark beer;) The frothy tan head holds remarkably well, and leaves even better lace throughout the entire glass. Very nice!

In the nose the hops rise up to meet you with notes of grass, pine, citrus, and flowers. It's quite refreshing and exciting! Beneath that, a darkly caramelized and toasty malt resides.

The flavor is both bready and hoppy upfront, with a spiciness that's reminiscent of rye; and some grassy notes make their way in as well. Notes of citrusy hops flitter to-and-fro and here-and-there with orange, grapefruit, and pineapple all checking in. It's also peppery, grassy, and spicy, yet it lands back on it's feet at the swallow with a dollop of sweet malt that brings us back to the beginning. From there a smear of buttery yeast hits the palate and gently melts as the bitterness ushers us into a bone-dry finish that lingers with a bit of pine-resin intensity (but not necessarily the harsh, resinous character that's normally found). The fruity and buttery bell of Ringwood yeast rings solidly throughout, and its supple fruity edge is more than welcome with a note of apricot and pear that seems to lend balance to the whole thing!

REALLY NICE! I wasn't expecting such a remarkably drinkable beer, but they've certainly pulled that off. Very nice!

NeroFiddled, Dec 09, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

Got half of a bomber from charthepirate, and boy was I excited. He left it in the fridge since last semester, but good lord these hoppy beers don't CARE! It's the English method of preservation: put more hops than is sane.

Anyway. Strange color for an IPA: red-brown with a thin, tan head. An amazing combination of floral and fruit notes in the nose and flavor--cherry, banana, grapefruit, strawberry, mango are the strongest, in that order. Pretty even-handed, in that the taste matches the scents. Smells a bit more hoppy-sweet, tastes more hoppy-bitter, but that's almost it. Excellent balance. I can see some pine and citrus now, an enjoyable fall-leaf flavor (and almost texture!) Smells delicious and backs it up. The bitters are fantastic, very smooth and manage to be biting without being harsh. I think the malt is muted (as it should be for the style), but it's a theory that the smoothness of the brew comes from malt. A very very good example of the style, definitely meant to be savored, and ideal in a larger-than-12oz serving.

cooter, Jan 20, 2005

22 oz bomber.
This was my first beer from Middle Ages Brewing Co. and I am very impress

Appearance: This beer pours a beautiful ruby / copper color with a perfect 2 finger off white head that has great retention. Superb lacing.

Smell: Very citric hop in aroma with deep undertones of caramel sweetness. A brilliant bouquet of floral aromas and grapefruit.

Taste: Initially grapefruit, followed by toasted malty caramel flavor, a splash of white grape and a significant buttery attribute. I am having a difficult time putting it into words; its so well blended and so extremely quaffable I am flabbergasted and at a loss for words. I guess I could simply say Arrogant Bastard watch out 'cuz here is Wailing Wench. It has a strong hop presence but an equalling sweet candy attribute. Overall, and amazing brew!

Mouthfeel: Big and creamy, active hop tingle, and yet not overly carbonated. It seems to have a slick smooth fish that just cause the 8% ABV to slide right down the throat. The flavor did not seem to let any of that alcohol through.

Drinkability: Unbelievable! I don't know what else to say. This beer is defiantly a new favorite of mine. It goes down so easy and with fineness, wow.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Apr 14, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

The pint from the cask was fresh and the head retention was decent. Nice fresh hops in the nose, solid hop and barley taste with a nice clean bitterness at the end. A strong taste, but being on cast it was smooth and the mouthfeel was soft. An excellent solid strong ale.

Beercub, Feb 04, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Big thanks to Unionmade for this 22oz bottle of the Wench, indeed the first Middle Ages brew I have had the pleasure of sampling. The wailing Wench poured out crystal clear, a beautiful deep garnet color, piled with a healthy finger’s worth of beige head.
The aroma on this beer is indeed screaming with hops as loud as it can, it reeks of fresh juicy hops, and it has a lot more to offer too. Nice caramel and plum in the nose along with the dripping pine sap and citrus. Body is best described as medium bordering on the low end of strong ale heavy, perfect carbonation. Taste is a whirlwind of hop flavors, like a juicy navel orange soaked in spruce sap. Then something remarkable happens as the flavor makes a smooth but very definite transition to a sweet, fruit and nut bread malty middle. Finish wrapped up clean and dry as can be, just bitter enough to make you grab for the glass again as quick as your reflexes allow. Superbly crafted beer this one, eminently drinkable, I can only imagine the wonder it would be on tap.

mikeys01, Nov 29, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Nonick Pint

Man, when does the hop worship ever stop? This was a rough assault on the palate. Malty sweetness in the background, but the overpowering aroma and taste was pure hop goodness. Color was reddish in a dark bar, but very very attractive. The taste was hoppy, and slightly astringent and roasty, but ultimately, with a big, bold hop flavor. Great mouthfeel, as the taste just takes over your mouth and coats it. I would probably end the night on this one (as I did last night), because the intensity of the hops and the high abv leave one with such a warm feeling.

twilight, Feb 14, 2004
Wailing Wench from Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.