Wailing Wench - Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.

Wailing WenchWailing Wench

Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd. visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: HappyHourHero on 10-23-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wailing Wench Alström Bros
firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
3.72/5  rDev -6.3%

Sampled on tap at the Middle ages brewery on 11/8/03

Appearance: Raisiny/chestnut colour with a whitish head

Smell: Holy pine batman! The hops are well in evidence, not much else makes it through although I do get a slight phenolic fruitiness.

Taste: The Hoppiness is balanced a bit better here, with some caramel malt and some citrus (orange/grapefruit) trying to desperately hold down the see-saw. Dry on the finish with an alcoholic bite.

Mouthfeel: A little astringent but with a decent body and a bit o' punch.

Drinkabilty: Here's where personal preference rears its ugly head. I'm not a big fan of the Imperial IPA, so I wouldn't head right back for 2nd's. But I enjoyed 1st's just fine. (708 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Presentation: 16oz. Shaker pint from draught. Cost: $5.00

Appearance: Poured a buckwheat honey color, with a delightfully cloudy body. Generated a moderately dense, bone-colored, two-finger head that became a thin, ringed skim with limited lacing.

Smell: Wow! This cleaned out my nostrils like a smelling-salts packet. Extremely “green” and herbaceous in the nose. Very fresh-smelling but also verged on the vegetal. This is all about the hops.

Taste: Again, the hops dominated the palate, with some malt softening the edges. Although the dark color suggests an ample malt presence, I felt that this was a bit short in that department. Classically and overwhelmingly grapefruity, this is a Katy-Bar-The-Door hop monster. I had a hard time picking out any other fruity or malt elements. I had a hard time choosing which to try first; the 2002 Dragonslayer or the WW, and perhaps this suffered a bit by following the Imperial Stout; but subsequent samples throughout the weekend bore out my initial impressions. The finish was dry, dry, dry!

Mouthfeel: Decent body, but this was so bitterly hoppy and astringent that it left my tongue dry and raspy like the most tannic wine or tea you’ve ever had. Despite the ABV, this gave the impression of being a bit thin. Carbonation was soothingly fine to balance the sharp flavors.

Drinkability: A real in-your-face linebacker of a beer. One or two of these will have you on your butt in no time! For me, less quaffable than a 90 Minute IPA or Dreadnaught.

Backwash: I had been anticipating trying this beer for more than a week, when I finally got to try it. Maybe nothing could overcome such anticipation. It reminded me a bit of a bigger version of the DFH 60 Minute (and no, I don’t think that’s the 90 Minute) with a slight diacetyl note. It seemed thin and a bit unbalanced. In its defense, it was also very green, which may have affected its drinkability. For those hopfiends out there, this may be perfect for you. It was the hoppiest beer I’ve ever had, and a bit too extreme for me. I look forward to giving this another try. (2,100 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

Many thanks to HappyHourHero for getting the ball rolling on this incredible brew... and by the way, his review is right on the money.
Appearance: Rich ruby/brown with a full, tan Middle Ages head.
Smell: Mega hops, yet also quite malty... outstanding, IPA +++
Taste: Perfect balance of huge hops, huge malt, and a loving alcohol warmth. As I've said, this is a BIG beer, but with a very well controlled intensity.
Mouthfeel is huge, chewy and an absolute delight...balance, balance, balance.
Drinkability... I finished off a whole growler over about a 2 1/2 hour period and was left a little buzzed, but wanting more. This is a must try...an outstanding example of the Imperial IPA style. More than holds it's own against Rogue I2PA...looking forward to comparing to Dreadnaught.
My understanding is that this brew has a limited availability. (849 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a growler 6 hours after it was filled, right into a Middle Ages pint glass. It reaks of hops and I love it!!! There's a little citrus hop aroma mixed in with the normal Middle Ages yeast smell (Ringwood). It poured a nice dark tan head that soon became one with the beer. She's a pretty dark Imperial IPA, deep mahogany in color. It's all hops baby (best Dick Vitel impresion). The hop bitterness hits your tongue quickly but stops just short of going overboard. There's a certain sweetness to the hops which I'm guessing comes from the combined taste of the Ringwood yeast and the barley used. Definitely a quality IIPA, gonna have to try this one on cask. I bet it would be even better after a short aging. Ah, what the hell do I know:-) (751 characters)

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
Wailing Wench from Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.