Wailing Wench - Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.

Wailing WenchWailing Wench

Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd. visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HappyHourHero on 10-23-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wailing Wench Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next › last »
4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

"Consumed" at Alternative Brews, Buffalo

Foam Factor: Deep amber red tint. Nice pour with lacing on glass. Retained white head throughout the 15-20 minutes that it took me to finish a pint. This turned out to be a mistake as the evening ended early. Very early.

Skunk Factor: Deep and full hop and something almost citrus detected. Big and complex. After one, my nose told me that it was leaving before anything ugly happened. This statement was realized later.

Tongueland: I loved the taste of this so much that I didn't even order anything else. After 3 of these, my tongue mysteriously disappeared. I found my tongue at the end of the night attempting to drink straight from the tap. Bad tongue.

Gurgling factor: We need a constitutional ammendment that proclaims Wailing Wench to be used for mouthwash. Worker productivity would surely increase and corporations would not locate overseas. In addition, water coolers would be replaced in favor of wailing wench coolers. The work week would become 7 days.

Bender Factor: I was prewarned about this beer. Somehow, my cerebral prefrontal cortex did not understand that this beer is so good, it is dangerous. Makes one act like Rodney Dangerfield. WW rendered me unable to speak a complete sentence. I almost fell off my barstool. Ended up passing out on kitchen floor.

Wailing wench, I am in love with you, you naughty and nasty girl.

wailingwench, Apr 28, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

The beer pours a dark amber color with a thick off-white head that eventually fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a nice malty scent surrounded by an intense floral hop arrangement. The Ringwood yeast adds a fruity aroma that helps balance the malts and hops. The taste is good. It is rich in malt complexity and piney hop flavor. It is really bitter, but finishes strong and goes down easy. The mouthfeel is good also. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer drinks well. It has tremendous flavor and complexity. I love this brew!

WesWes, Mar 22, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +14.7%

Nonick Pint

Man, when does the hop worship ever stop? This was a rough assault on the palate. Malty sweetness in the background, but the overpowering aroma and taste was pure hop goodness. Color was reddish in a dark bar, but very very attractive. The taste was hoppy, and slightly astringent and roasty, but ultimately, with a big, bold hop flavor. Great mouthfeel, as the taste just takes over your mouth and coats it. I would probably end the night on this one (as I did last night), because the intensity of the hops and the high abv leave one with such a warm feeling.

twilight, Feb 14, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

i had this at the connecticut real ale festival and i think it was the best beer their! hops hops hops but not overtly bitter great hop taste, hop aroma, and hop finish . some said that it was amarillo but i don't know that as fact.
hats of to tim butler and middle ages brewery for brewing a big hoppy beer thats not just about being bitter!

beerman599, Jan 28, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

A caramel brown, this beer had a good lustre despite its cover of darkness. Pours a solid off-white head of tight foam that doesn’t budge, showing plenty of messy lace and an abundant stain without pattern. Sure don't look like an IPA, or an Imperial one at that.

Smells of caramel and big scents of dates, as fruity Ringwood esters abound; meanwhile, these are covered in spruce and hop leaf aromatics. They are a brief appearance, as then soapy herbal hops come in for the duration, but nicely so. Tastes of lots of caramel malt with small Ringwood fruity touches, but just as much hop flavor and roasted earthiness pound you through the middle and last through a long finish that brings on soapy hops and floral licks.

A nice full mouthfeel, its drinkable enough but mainly hop and roasty bitter with little hop flavor. A great malt base though, its an interesting take on Imperial IPA. Seems to be much better on cask than draught, which doesn't surprise me at all.

nomad, Dec 30, 2003
4.78/5  rDev +21%

WOW...
Regular wailing Wench is great...but this was a cask wench I had...
Appearance...Nice hazy creamy dark nutty brown with nice tan head...good retention and lacing...
Smell...Maltand piney hops mix well...but a little muted (otherwise it would have been higher)...
Taste...what can I say...superb...PERFECT balance of big hop flavor with just the right maltiness...and for 9.0% there is no alcohol taste to ruin this beautiful flavor mixture...
Mouthfeel is perfectly creamy with an added warming affect that kicks in after each sip...
Drinkability...My wife had to cut me off of the casked wench because we were late for a christmas party...I could drink this forever...
Wench beats the Bastard anyday...great brew...

stegmakk, Dec 28, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have you ever been in love? Do you know what true love feels like? I do. I have fallen deeply in love with a Wailing Wench. Her beauty, unmatched on the surface is much more than skin deep. A soft tan pillow of foam sits atop a beer, deep red amber in colour. She is ravashing in her pint glass. She has the most perfect smell, soft, fruity and piney.
I knew then I was falling in love.
She kissed me deeply and passionately. I can still taste her hops dancing on my toungue. The wonderful pine and fruity tastes blend in my mouth for the perfect flavour. A perfect blend of hops and malts leave nothing to be desired except more.
I am in love. Her name is Wailing Wench.

CBFanWish, Dec 13, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap at Mahar's in Albany, then later from a Growler from Glennville Beverage.
Deep burgandy tan , dense and creamy, tawny colored head with lots of lacey cling. Tiny , sparse bubble of carb. trickle up to freedom, bringing aromas....
... of sweet, burnt toffee and crushed conifer; strong in diacytal with notes of oaky alcohol. The buttery blast of the Ringwood works here for me.
Flavor is light up front - slightly buttery again but weak in substance. Scorched hop charachter dominates with a nice chewy grass and pepper thing going on but it's a bit harsh and unbalanced to me. Very little fruit or caramely malt fights its way throught the thick undergrowth of this pine forest. Hops rule here, and give no quarter.
A sort of charred bitterness lingers along w/ the faint burn of alcohol.
Malt body and flavor seem to be fermented out, leaving the hops by themselves to save this beer - which they almost do.
Definately worth a try.

Shiredave, Nov 28, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep chestnut color with currant red around the edges and a tan head. Smell was very hoppy and definitely the resinous, pine cone hop variety. Tons of forest pine smell and just a hint of malts streaking the back of the nose. Taste was a hop heads wet dream. So much hops I couldn't even fathom it. These were not the citrus variety. Straight pine. There was considerable malt backbone as well especially as it warmed. Tons of esters towards the bottom fo the glass as it took on some more doughy and malt driven flavors. The carbonations was a little much at the beginning but as it warmed up it settled down a bit. Wailing Wench was a pretty good beer, but I think it could do with a bit of mellowing and melding as the flavors were very distinct and did not act together. It was hops at the beginning and malts at the end. A little more togetherness would make this beer a lot better. Also a warning, the amount of hops destroyed my pallete so don't plan on tasting anything for another 2 hours.

GreatPondBrewer, Nov 21, 2003
3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Sampled on tap at the Middle ages brewery on 11/8/03

Appearance: Raisiny/chestnut colour with a whitish head

Smell: Holy pine batman! The hops are well in evidence, not much else makes it through although I do get a slight phenolic fruitiness.

Taste: The Hoppiness is balanced a bit better here, with some caramel malt and some citrus (orange/grapefruit) trying to desperately hold down the see-saw. Dry on the finish with an alcoholic bite.

Mouthfeel: A little astringent but with a decent body and a bit o' punch.

Drinkabilty: Here's where personal preference rears its ugly head. I'm not a big fan of the Imperial IPA, so I wouldn't head right back for 2nd's. But I enjoyed 1st's just fine.

Hefe, Nov 12, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +2%

Presentation: 16oz. Shaker pint from draught. Cost: $5.00

Appearance: Poured a buckwheat honey color, with a delightfully cloudy body. Generated a moderately dense, bone-colored, two-finger head that became a thin, ringed skim with limited lacing.

Smell: Wow! This cleaned out my nostrils like a smelling-salts packet. Extremely “green” and herbaceous in the nose. Very fresh-smelling but also verged on the vegetal. This is all about the hops.

Taste: Again, the hops dominated the palate, with some malt softening the edges. Although the dark color suggests an ample malt presence, I felt that this was a bit short in that department. Classically and overwhelmingly grapefruity, this is a Katy-Bar-The-Door hop monster. I had a hard time picking out any other fruity or malt elements. I had a hard time choosing which to try first; the 2002 Dragonslayer or the WW, and perhaps this suffered a bit by following the Imperial Stout; but subsequent samples throughout the weekend bore out my initial impressions. The finish was dry, dry, dry!

Mouthfeel: Decent body, but this was so bitterly hoppy and astringent that it left my tongue dry and raspy like the most tannic wine or tea you’ve ever had. Despite the ABV, this gave the impression of being a bit thin. Carbonation was soothingly fine to balance the sharp flavors.

Drinkability: A real in-your-face linebacker of a beer. One or two of these will have you on your butt in no time! For me, less quaffable than a 90 Minute IPA or Dreadnaught.

Backwash: I had been anticipating trying this beer for more than a week, when I finally got to try it. Maybe nothing could overcome such anticipation. It reminded me a bit of a bigger version of the DFH 60 Minute (and no, I don’t think that’s the 90 Minute) with a slight diacetyl note. It seemed thin and a bit unbalanced. In its defense, it was also very green, which may have affected its drinkability. For those hopfiends out there, this may be perfect for you. It was the hoppiest beer I’ve ever had, and a bit too extreme for me. I look forward to giving this another try.

Dantes, Oct 29, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

Many thanks to HappyHourHero for getting the ball rolling on this incredible brew... and by the way, his review is right on the money.
Appearance: Rich ruby/brown with a full, tan Middle Ages head.
Smell: Mega hops, yet also quite malty... outstanding, IPA +++
Taste: Perfect balance of huge hops, huge malt, and a loving alcohol warmth. As I've said, this is a BIG beer, but with a very well controlled intensity.
Mouthfeel is huge, chewy and an absolute delight...balance, balance, balance.
Drinkability... I finished off a whole growler over about a 2 1/2 hour period and was left a little buzzed, but wanting more. This is a must try...an outstanding example of the Imperial IPA style. More than holds it's own against Rogue I2PA...looking forward to comparing to Dreadnaught.
My understanding is that this brew has a limited availability.

DagFishHead, Oct 24, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a growler 6 hours after it was filled, right into a Middle Ages pint glass. It reaks of hops and I love it!!! There's a little citrus hop aroma mixed in with the normal Middle Ages yeast smell (Ringwood). It poured a nice dark tan head that soon became one with the beer. She's a pretty dark Imperial IPA, deep mahogany in color. It's all hops baby (best Dick Vitel impresion). The hop bitterness hits your tongue quickly but stops just short of going overboard. There's a certain sweetness to the hops which I'm guessing comes from the combined taste of the Ringwood yeast and the barley used. Definitely a quality IIPA, gonna have to try this one on cask. I bet it would be even better after a short aging. Ah, what the hell do I know:-)

HappyHourHero, Oct 23, 2003
« first ‹ prev | 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next › last »
Wailing Wench from Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.