Druid Fluid - Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.

Druid FluidDruid Fluid

Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd. visit their website
New York, United States

American Barleywine |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 10-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Druid Fluid Alström Bros
2.24/5  rDev -42.7%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Ruby red body with a decent enough head. Things start to go downhill with the smell, which combines a highly artificial candy-like aroma with citrus hops. The flavor profile is similar, with the hops barely balancing out the rather gross candy flavors. Needless to say, this was a huge disappointment. Probably the worst barleywine I've ever had. (382 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -41.2%

I originally sampled this beer on 22 January 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
There's a lot of bitter in this one. As others have noted, grapefruit flavors dominate. I have a Friggin' grapefruit tree. If I want grapefruit juice, I can squeeze it fresh!! This tastes almost like a mediocre west coast IPA. It's nice, but not a barleywine, from my tastebuds POV. (374 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -35%

Bottle provided by FrancisWeizen a while back and kept in my cellar until now. Pours a two finger light tan head over a cloudy red-rustish colored liquid. Smells piney soapyhops. A little bit of grapefruit pith. Soured caramel, maybe not smoked, but perhaps toasted grains. Taste sour sweet grain start turns bitter soapy pine hop in the ned. Grapefruit hop ending with a mild alcohol. Sweet beneath all this keeps the sour and hop tang from being too much. In fact, interesting. I've had this hop flavor before and not liked it, but it works in this beer because of the combination of other flavors. Creamy mouthfeel, like drinking whole milk. Smooth and thick with moderate carbonation that oputs and interesting tingle on the tongue.

Okay, by the end of the glass, the hops were wearing on me. A nice dry woody finish with a gentle alcohol sting, but also a bile-flavor...like when cacking up dry-heaves. Salty and acidic. I can't finish this one. (953 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

Color is a dark amber brown color that looks clear, dense finger of cap on top.
There is no date on this bottle but i have to guess by the aroma that this one has a year or two on it, very rounded and mellow. The aroma is some sweet malts like caramel and some brown sugars, and a hint of brightness in a citrus way.
The flavors give the same impression that either this is a very malty american barleywine or there is time on this one, could be either.
Flavors include the typical caramel malts and toffee and whatnot, but they have no depth or richness to them, and nothing to back them up. There is no alcohol presence either, this one is pretty one dimensional.
Mouthfeel is a bit dryer then most barleywines. (715 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -27.4%

A - Pours a verk dark amber brown color with very thin lacing and no carbonation.

S - Smells of pungent brown sugar, some acidic caramel/toffee malt (not a good sign), molasses, dark fruits, and some spice. The nose is not at all inviting, I'm wondering if this is a bad bottle, if so, I will review this again at a later date.

T - Definite estery character with some underlying permeating booze effervescence. Burnt toffee, very small traces of tart sour apples (again, not a good sign), oaky tannins, some toffee/caramel, and mild pine hopping on the back side.

M - Medium chewy body and leaves a lingering pine hop bitterness on the tongue with a coating of the estery malt.

D - I'm not at all impressed with this beer. Being this is the first time I've had it, I'm hoping it's a skunky bottle. If not, this isn't something I'd expect from Middle Ages. (860 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -26.3%

I had high expectations with this beer but it sorda fell flat.I shared this beer with my buddy John.I drank this from a brandy shifter.Burnt orange,just like fall colors.Nice off white head that fell to a ring pretty fast.The smell was boozy,hops and some spices.The taste was the same as the smell but with a nice malt backbone.The mouthful is smooth and sorda on the thick side.Nice carbonation.I liked this more as it warmed up but this is nothing I would seek out to find again. (482 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -26.3%

Draught @ Redbones. Dark orange color. Sweet fruits (strawberries and raspberries), as well as some medicinal, herbaceous aroma hops in the nose. Hops are piney and medicinal, while the malt backing is strange and unfitting. Very sweet and just not all that exciting, at all. (275 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearence: Pours a glowing golden amber with a 2 finger sized beige head that dies down to a collar. Perfect clarity, little carbonation.

Smell: The smell is an oaky mix of plums, raisens, alcohol, fruitiness with a strong hop presence. Seems kind of unbalanced.

Taste and Mouthfeel: This tastes just like every other over hopped American Barleywines that I've had recently. It's not bad, it actually tastes pretty good, but it's so typical of this style. A little unbalanced, whole-heartedly too much alcohol and hop flavor, but other than that the fruitiness and plum notes are tasty. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and a little bit cloying, but not too bad.

Drinkability and Overall: I've been wanting to try this one for a while, and now that I have I'm dissapointed. Anyone who knows me knows of my affection for Barleywines, but this one just doesn't quite cut it. It's your typical, average, run-of-the-mill Barleywine.

Thanks to rajendra82 for the beer. Viva BBBIF. (986 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -24%

I'm not really sure what to think about this one. Looked decent. Poured an orange amber colour with really sticky nice looking lacing. Smell was fruity with a bit of hops. Everything was nice up until the tasting came. I thought it was quite bitter and had a bit of an alcohol bite. I didn't care for it. The mouthfeel was smooth, but it seemed far too heavy to get a good drinkability rating. Perhaps the beer itself is bad and I should try it again. For now, however, this rating stands. It's not for me. (506 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23.8%

It pours an almost clear copper with a medium off-white head, sticking to the glass. Aroma of rich cream, dry malt, caramel and maple a an unappropriate yeasty character that shows in the form of dust. Taste is a big surprise, very fruity (berries, grapes), very alcoholic with a dry cobwebs finish. Medium bodied with high carbonation. This is no JW Lees.. (357 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -23%

Blind Beer #4 - http://flic.kr/p/9oFbSg

Thanks to Kevin (shrek806) for sending me this beer in round #4 of the Blind Beer BIF.

I remembered to remove the wax first this time. Much better result. Poured the 22oz bottle into my New Holand tulip. Amber brown in color, this beer has a slightly yellow head. Aroma is a mix of malt and hops, maybe some rye in the mix? Flavor is a blend of amber and crystal malts with a decent carmelized back end. Hops are citrusy and leave a dry feeling on the top of your mouth.

Gonna go with an IPA on this one.

The reveal - Middle Ages Druid Fluid Barleywine. Going with the trend I've noticed from this brewery, its a bit underwhelming for the style. I'm enjoying the beer, and its well constructed but I'd consider it more an IPA or RyePA even. (784 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber, iced team like color with a half finger of fluffy white head that goes away pretty quickly.

Smell: Mildly sweet like brown sugar with some dark fruit, I'm picking up raisins. There is some alcohol present at the very end.

Taste: Sweet malt with hints of brown sugar and dark fruit. There is a lot of bitterness in the finish as well as some hot alcohol. The bitterness in the finish seems to hide some of the other flavors, which is too bad.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly mild carbonation. The finish is somewhat dry.

Overall: The bitter finish is way too overpowering. I would like a little bit more balance from this beer. I don't think I'm going to try to find it again. (766 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -22%

A: Paprika colored....sort of like dark apricot juice. Head is minimal. Greyish white with a slight wisp and a friendly ring around the glass.

S: Very fruity, almost like juicy fruit gum. Cardboard, floral and a bit of caramel.

T: Lavender is the first thing that jumps out at me. Is this beer flavored with flower pedals? It certainly tastes like it. Sweet and floral malts, a bit cloying after a while. Taste goes to a traditional dough then a biscuity dryness with the fruity sweetness remaining the entire time. Bitterness then snakes in and gains attention. As the bitterness fades, the flowering saccharin sweetness does not diminish and refuses to die.

M: Medium bodied, bit syrupy.

D: Not a huge fan of this beer. Sort of perfumy. Tastes as if made with sweet and low. (789 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.7%

No idea on the vintage of this one. Poured into a snifter an orange with shades of red and brown to muddy it down, but maintains a respectable clarity. CM head shrunk down to a frosting.. no complaints really. Aroma is somewhere between muddled citrus hops, fruit rinds, and alcohol. All of these combine to form one sugary/doughy scent. Think jelly-filled breakfast pastry.

The flavors seem to mimic the smell except the alcohol isn't apparent. Though, there's a bold raspberry tartness that's introduced into the mix. Great hop flavor throughout the beer, but towards the middle of the mouth the raspberry tartness becomes medicinal. The initial burst of hops in the beginning fades out at the end so that's quite nice and makes for a mellow aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is real smooth as you'd expect a 9.5% barleywine to be. Almost no carbonation and leans a little towards the slick side, but that's expected. Never gets "too heavy." Hops round this one out nicely. I'd like to try this one out after some laying down. (1,022 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a deep amber with a good head. It is a little bit thin on the flavor, but it has a fruity finish. It's far from bad, but there's nothing here that makes me willing to go out searching for it in the future. To be truly great, it would need to have the malt bumped up a good bit. (285 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.9%

Got this one while at the recording studio...

A: Interesting copper / ruby color. Nice thick off-white head that never completely dies. Very good looking.

S: I can smell it all the way from here while my glass sits on the table. Smells good, but doesn't bring a whole lot new to the table. Smells hoppy with slight roasty malts following. Good, but not great.

T: Super hoppy. With a bad backend that almost tastes like cough syrup. Not too good. The hops help mask the cough syrup taste.

M: Leaves no good flavors on your tastebuds once consumed. Nothing special.

D: Nothing special in the department either.

All in all, this brew is not that great. If you enjoy very hoppy beers, then definitely try this brew once. Any more than that is not necessary. Not for me. (771 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.9%

had during a middle ages tasting.
A-pours an orangish beer thats head quickly disappears
S-more hops than I expect from a barelywine. Malts follow
T-some sweetness from thw malts and bitterness from the hops
M-well balanced, smooth and medium bodied
D-Cannot taste the alcohol at all. This,brewery knows how to hide it

So not attempt to gargle, apparently it foams (365 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%

Picked up 22 oz. bomber from Price Chopper in Clifton Park, NY tonight

Served at around 50-55 degrees F, in a snifter glass

A- Beautiful rosey-amber color with a fluffy, bubbly white head of two finger thickness with aggressive pour. As I drink and swirl it around in it's vessel, it creates a nice uniform, sticky lacing. Very consistent looking with little to no sediment suspending.

S- Hops, sugar, alcohol, raisin, citrus, hops, toffee. Not too complex, but interesting enough.

T- Piney bitter hops, citrus, hops, banana peel, bitter...hops. This seems to be unbalanced to me. It is a bit too hop forward and the alcohol taste seems absent for a beer of this style and strength. I'm not getting the complex flavors and fruits that others seem to pick up on this one. It seems to be missing something...

M- mouthfeel is medium if not a bit light for the style. Little carbonation, and as i near the 1/3rd mark, there is zero carbonation.

O- The high ABV is hidden very well on this one. It is very smooth and easy to drink the first half. But the second was much harder because of the bitterness. It was actually hard to finish. Not a beer I would visit again in it's current state of maturity. Perhaps a year or two in the cellar to bypass the adolescent wildness that this brew has created, will do some good for it. I do enjoy a good IPA, double IPA, etc. but I don't want my barley-wine to be this bitter. I think some extra belgian candy sugar or something would have helped to balance this out. Or, maybe this is just too young for my preference. Maybe I will pick up another bottle to put away for some time... (1,627 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%

22 oz. bomber with no freshness date. The beer has a lightly-carbonated amber body, topped with a loose, two finger head that leaves bits of lace. On the nose, my first impression is Cascade and Simcoe with some crystal malts. Later this evolves into tropical and citrus fruits and perhaps some berries; it is nice and aromatic, but consists mostly of hops and various alcohol notes. Big floral/leafy hop presence on the palate, with chewy malts, fruity esters, rosy alcohol, and lots of citric bitterness. Eventually the hops ebb and make way for lots of sweet crystal malts and a pleasant, warming sensation. The body is chewy, lightly-numbing, and gets dryer the more I drink. This is definitely a brew that will improve with age, but as is, it's not a great one. Not bad by any means, it's just the fruity alcohols and esters haven't melded completely with the big hoppiness and chewy sweetness. I'd like to try this one at two or three years of age. (954 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17.6%

Murky brown color, lots of cloudiness. No head, just some light soapy froth. Frankly it looks like wort and is a bit unappealing. The aroma is tangy with notes of cherry and other dark fruit. There is a hint of caramel and nut, and also bit of light sweet corn.

Caramel flavor, with a cake-y sweetness finishing with a touch of honey before some bitterness sets in. The alcohol doesn't really get in the way. The mouthfeel is slightly thin with some fine tingly carbonation.

I'm not sure this was what I expected. The flavor turned out to be decent after I was a bit scared due to the appearance. I would have liked some more hop balance and bitterness. Not sure if I would recommend it at this point... (707 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a hazy dish orange. A good amount of white head. Lots of great lacing. Smells hoppy and bitter. Tastes very bitter. The hop characteristics are pretty minimal. The malt backbone is fairly subpar. Well carbonated but overall not very good.

Got awkward when Carl tried to gargle it.... It's hard to gargle foam he says. (324 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

Bomber in a St. Feuillien glass. This is a fresh 2014 bottle.

Appearance: Poured a deep red copper with a sizable head of off white foam. Very effervescent and bubbly.

Nose: Flowery hops up front, toffee, caramel, horse blanket, kind of dank and resinous from the hops.

Taste: Well carbonated (the laser etched glass helps too). Fruity from the classic English house Ringwood yeast that fades quickly to a very short hoppy finish. slightly sweet, candied sugar, low malt character. After a few sips the finish stays longer and drives that dry, hop bitterness. No alcohol perception at all, dangerous for a 9.5%er.

Overall, not a bad beer. I have not tried many Barleywine ales and certainly none with any significant age. I'm going to pick up a few more bottles of this for the cellar and see how they do over time. I'll be looking for the hop bitterness to fade and the malts to shine. I'll let you know in a year how things turn out. (940 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

Beer pours a ruddy amber-red. A hard pour yields a 1.5 in. dense beige head.

I can smell this beer as soon as it's poured. Wisps of sweet fruit and matly camamel greet my senses. Aromas of honey, malt, yellow raisens, plum-pudding and sherry are found.

Tastes malty sweet, caramel, fresh bread, slight spices. Definately smells bigger than it tastes. Rather thin feeling for a BW, I prefer the thick, coating kind. I would call this an English style BW-less assertive than our American BW's. Finishes is medium w/ some hops. It need smore hops to balance the predominant malts. The alcohol is well hidden, barely warming. Not bad but not too exciting or memorable either. (677 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -16.6%

Have been interested to try the Druid Fluid for a while now. Neat name. I've never found the NY beer in the MD/DC/VA area, however it is availiable in Georgia. Go Figure...

Beer poured into a standard Logo'ed Pint glass. No head. Nice color - a pale golden bronze.Nice haze and opacity. Very little nose on the brew - a slight lemon/citrus tone was apparent. Neither malt nor hops domminate in this one, almost a strong pale ale flavor and note would best describe this brew. Good mouthfeel and it is easy, though not entirely rewarding, to drink. A good unoffensive redition of the Barley wine style. (604 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Clear rust amber, long lasting head that sticks around on top, spotty, little lacing Looks nice.

S: Grapefruit hops, bitter slight solvents, alcohol, sweet malt, and toffee.

T: Is a bit grainy, I think it needs more malt for balance. Hops are harsh and vague. The alcohol isn't overpowering, but this is bitter and finishes wet and sour with medium hop bite. Too sour and grainy in the finish for me, even the mild tangy bite at the end is too little too late.
An average barleywine. A shame, because the name is quite memorable even if the beer isn't! (562 characters)

Druid Fluid from Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.