Big Hoppy Monster - Five Seasons Prado

No picture.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Five Seasons Prado visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-10-2003

Reviews by tigerpaws:
4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

While this beer didn't disappont me it didn't meet my expectations of it. Of course being a hophead rarely can a beer more hoppier than usual surprise me. It did have more hops than the average beer drinker would prefer IMO. A very dark amber appearance for a hoppy beer with a nice hoppy aroma. And also an odd scent that took me most of my dinner to put my finger on, I finally concluded don't laugh, that it had the scent of a christmas tree. The taste was hoppy yet with a good malty balance. Went well with the food and was very drinkable..............CHEERS

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

While I really consider this a 5 Seasons brewpub beer, I had this under the Terrapin Beer Co. label. I've also had it at the brewpub. The reason is that the two breweries share a brewer in Spike Buckowski. The Monster is pretty hoppy, although it seems not all that much of a monster next too the Terrapin Rye P.A. It's possible that this is a pretty malty beer as well and while the Rye P.A. is no malt wimp, Rye seems to accentuate hops to me. This also has a fruitiness to it that makes it seem a little more British than some of the cleaner American IPAs.

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured into a logo'd pint glass. Beer is a brilliant deep bronze in color. Nice haze from a little sediment. Good head (and nice lacing as the beer went down). Powerful malty smell, and lots of evergreen notes. Brew exibits both scents and smells of somthing that has been dry-hopped within an inch of it's life. Wonderful balance in the beer - big malt, big hop. A little hop domminance, with a slightly acerbic tone to the finish. Only easily quaffed by lovers of big beer (yours truely), this is a great seasonal and a excellent overall brew!

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Thanks to Tilly4 for the trade.

Pours an attractive amber, one inch white head quickly vanished, leaving a thin crust. Mouthfeel is deliciously thick; unusual for this style.

Oddly enough, definitely not a "hop monster." Quite balanced, actually. Smell is mostly malt, with a hint of floral hops. Taste is, again, mostly sweet caramel malt. Definite hop bitterness in the aftertaste, but not much in the flavor.

I actually sampled this beer out of the brewery where it is contract brewed. Had several glasses and even though they never told us what it was, several hints were given :>)

Nice red color topped with a lackluster head but what no big deal. Smells great like a big handful of fresh american hops, a citrus undertone and a ringing floral sweetness all capped by a slight spice. The malt was buried in the nose but it came alive in my mouth and was offered a sweetness of caramelized malt that complimented the the bite and the floralness of the hops. Nice mouthfeel and very drinkable. Man I wish this was sold in bottles around here. Hopefully Terrapin thinks of Maryland as a 2nd home as the expand and will sell us their wares.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Even though this is one of my favorite bier styles, this one did not impress me, to say the least. This golden brew poured well and offered a little lace as the pint vanished. However, the floweriness and "snap" that one comes to expect from a pale ale is really lacking. While it goes well with a multitude of things on the Five Seasons' menu, it is just not the stand-up brew I was hoping it would be. Here's to improving this one, as it could be a real winner.

Zum wohl!

Big Hoppy Monster from Five Seasons Prado
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.