Red Racer Maple Bacon Breakfast Ale - Central City Brewing

Beer added by: Rutager on 06-05-2014

to view more.
Ratings: 14 | Reviews: 5
3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Not sure what I expected, but I dont like it. It doesnt taste like maple or bacon.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Does not live up to its name. Only the vaguest of hints of bacon or maple, and even those flavours don't linger long. But otherwise, this is entirely drinkable.

3.22/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

650ml bottle - we've had a few of this sort of affair appear on Alberta beer store shelves in the past number of years, but this is the one for which I have the highest hopes.

This beer pours a clear, pale bronzed amber colour, with three fingers of puffy, soapy, and mildly foamy ecru head, which leaves very little microbial burst lace around the glass as it quickly recedes.

It smells of lightly toasted, grainy pale malt, faint fatty meat notes, maple twigs (sans the sap), a small earthy nuttiness, and very tame weedy, leafy hops. The taste is much more maple-friendly up front, but without the attendant syrupy sweetness, with a certain undercooked porcine meatiness (bacon to me is preferably fried to near-black, and crispy), more smoked pale and caramel malts, a bit of wet ash, oily nut skins, and the same plain as the day is getting longer earthy, musty hops.

The carbonation is quite active in its rounded, yet gentle frothiness, the body on the light side of medium weight, and rather blase in its gritty, 'oh, I didn't know you were coming by' smoothness. It finishes off-dry, the maple essence kind of disguised behind the lingering hybrid malt, while the supposed Porky Pig breakfast goodness continues to not impress.

I can imagine that it's quite hard to brew with any sort of meat product (not that Central City has indicated that they've done so here), so I'll have to give a pass on that part of the titular metric. However, you can certainly maple the hell out of an amber ale, and folks, that certainly hasn't occurred in this one. Sad to say, but this Red Racer version gets plopped onto that growing pile of also-rans.

3.57/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I pleaded my brother to send me this one, even though I read mediocre reviews... Novelty or not, I still really wanted to give it a go...

A - Pours a pale amber colour, thin layer of head with little retention and no lacing.

S - Maple syrop, hints of toffee and caramel, and hickory smoke. It does actually remind me of the scent of cooked maple bacon on a weekend morning.

T - Mild maple flavours, smoked malts, bready flavours, brown sugar notes, candied corn, and toffee and caramel linger on the finish with a touch of smoke.

M - Thin, watery and surprisingly dry.

O - IMO they achieved a flavour profile that fits the bill without being overly offensive. Not necessarily a sessionable ale, it's certainly worth a try and fits the novelty factor. Admittedly, I really like smoked beers, I would say more so than the average person, so adding a hint of maple really complemented the flavour profile nicely. I would expect some pretty mixed reviews on this one.

1.74/5  rDev -46%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

"A Jeff O'Niel show exclusive" is the first thing that turned me off about this beer. This guy (local radio host) has always reminded me of someone's dad trying way too hard to be cool. Anyways, I'm a big Central City fanboy so I'll keep outside influence aside for this beer review.

Appearance. Pours a rather boring amber with a thin head. Already hearing a "wamp-waaa" sound in my head.

Smell. When I was young, my mom bought some maple extract for some baking or whatever. It was a glass vial with a leaky metal top with dried black drips of this extract down the side. The thing fucking stunk of fake maple and made the fucking cupboard smell of it for the years it was in there. This is exactly what I'm getting from this beer along with a just touch of smoke.

Taste. Sweet maple and caramel, some smokey (kinda bacon like) sweet malts and not a lot else. It's not overly sweet or anything in general, just sweet flavours ...if that makes any sense. In any case, pretty undrinkable.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium carbonation. I'll give it a mediocre score here.

Overall. As nasty as the show, how fitting. Sorry CC, I was hoping you would make this drinkable but it's pretty much a gimmick.

to view more.